I'll Be Going Your Way

Being by Your Side, We’re off to See the World

Daehyun always followed Yongguk wherever the older went. No matter what it would cost, Daehyun only wanted to see Yongguk’s back; he didn’t want to lose the sight of Yongguk even for a blink of an eye.

It was a rainy night when Daehyun stormed out the house to Yongguk’s old car, opening the door hurriedly and throwing his body inside before the vehicle could leave the yard. No one could stop him—not Natasha, not Yongnam, not even Yongguk. Daehyun would always be in Yongguk’s side, no matter what.

They weren’t a family, but Daehyun had lived with the Bangs since he was a kid. His parents were passed away in a car accident, they said, and he was the only survivor. He lived with Bang family afterward and Yongguk soon became his role model.

Yongguk was ignorant, but he would always protect Daehyun from the bullies at school. Yongguk rarely spoke to him, but he would always share his bread with Daehyun when the younger forgot to bring his lunch to school. Yongguk didn’t seem to like him, but he would always move aside and let Daehyun sleep with him on stormy nights.

So, that night, when Yongguk had a great fight with his parents and decided to leave their house, Daehyun followed him.

It had been months since they ran away, going from one to another city, working here and there only to get enough money to live. Most times they slept in the car, but there were times where they got extra money and managed to rent a room in a cheap motel for a night or two.

There were times when they reached a beautiful place in some small town, with a lake in front of them and a blanket of stars up above their heads, and they would refuse to sleep. They would sit on the car hood, back leaning against the front window, Daehyun’s head resting comfortably on Yongguk’s shoulder. Yongguk would smoke and Daehyun would complain, which would not be listened by the older.

Tonight, they found another beautiful place to stay.

The night was clear. The stars were blinking like a thousand little lights when Yongguk parked his red Holden at an open yard, river flowing near them. People in the neighborhood said that the place used to be a camp site, but now that it rarely got visitors, they would close the site soon. Let’s say that Daehyun and Yongguk were lucky because the old security outside let them enter the place.

Daehyun made squealing sounds as he opened the door and dashed to the riverside. He crouched down and dipped his hand into the flowing water, sighing contently as the fresh, cold liquid tickled his skin.

“Can we swim here tomorrow morning?” Daehyun asked when Yongguk stood beside him. “Look, the water is really clear. We can’t see something like this around the city.”

“I think we can,” Yongguk replied shortly, ruffling Daehyun’s hair as the younger cheered happily. He then went back to his car only to lie down on the hood, cigarette in the corner of his lips.

Looking at where Yongguk were lying on, Daehyun stood up and moved to the other’s side. He sat beside Yongguk, knees pulled up to his chest as he hugged them. His eyes were still on the river, which looked sparkling under the moonlight.

Yongguk’s voice, though, broke through his peaceful moment after a while.

“Dae,”

“Yeah?”

“Do you not miss home?”

Daehyun blinked twice—it was the first time Yongguk brought this topic after months. “I do, but it’s fine,” he then answered. “Why? Do you miss home? Do you want to go home?”

Yongguk huffed white smokes. “No,” he said, “I still want to see the world.”

Daehyun smiled. He laid his back on the car hood, finding a comfortable spot next to Yongguk’s warm body. “Then me too,” The younger nuzzled his head against Yongguk’s neck, loving the older scent—Yongguk always had this natural musky smell around him, with a little bit cigarette odor. “I still want to see the world, too.”

“Why?”

Daehyun looked up at Yongguk, eyes meeting the older’s. Because you’re the world I want to see forever. “Just because,” he grinned.

Yongguk kept silence for a second or two before breaking into soft laughter. He wrapped his arm around Daehyun’s shoulder, bringing the smaller body closer to his.

Daehyun always followed Yongguk wherever the older went. No matter what it would cost, Daehyun only wanted to see Yongguk’s back; he didn’t want to lose the sight of Yongguk even for a blink of an eye.

“Wherever you’re going, I’m going your way.”

Yongguk smiled.

“Let’s see more of this world, then, Daehyun.”

Daehyun smiled wider.