Bewitched

And I See You (Do You See Me?)

Bang Yongguk had lost count on how much time he had spent to stare at one bewitching figure who sat across from him. He didn’t know since when he started constantly coming to public library near his apartment—he usually preferred going to the library in his college since it was more… modern, more comfortable—only to take some moments to stare at the stranger, who always sat beside the big windows glass.

Beautiful wasn’t even enough to define the stranger. He was far, far beyond it. He was so unreal, just like a fairy. His raven hair, his sunkissed skin, and the snow that falling gracefully outside merged into a breathtaking view that Yongguk wouldn’t want to miss.

How would it feel to have that silky-looking hair under his palm? How would it feel to caress that sparkling skin? Yongguk always dreamed the things he would do to the stranger; feeling him close, breathing his scent. Yongguk wanted to feel the warmth, to taste the sweet lips, but who was he to do that?

Yongguk wasn’t the one to socialize with people. It wasn’t easy for him to just walk to the stranger and casually do the introduction. He wasn’t an easy-going person. He was too stoic, too unfriendly-looking that he was afraid the beautiful stranger might be afraid of him. Yongguk didn’t know what to do but keep quiet, not saying anything, enjoying the anonymity between them. Yongguk chose to keep staring and dreaming; he was tripping over the stranger whose beauty couldn’t be defined by any words.

It was a simple matter to anyone, but Yongguk didn’t think that way. Life was cruel; the man who was sitting across from him could be cruel as well. Yongguk didn’t want to lose his moment—the stranger, slowly but sure, had meant the world to him, and he didn’t want to risk everything that could make him lose his world. Not now.

He was enjoying his time seeing the man reading some books with that serious expression that made him look cute. He was enjoying his time seeing the man going back to the desk with the same book he always read after finishing his seemed-to-be tasks—The Little Prince, Yongguk could recognize by only a single glance of the cover; he, himself, had read the book repeatedly—and smiling longingly while reading it.

Yongguk saw him; he saved the stranger’s face in his heart was the only mattered for now.

Sometimes the alluring man came with some of his friends; they possibly did a group task or so, and Yongguk couldn’t help but feel a bit helplessly jealous. They always had a nice and warm conversation, judging from the wide smile the stranger would have whenever his friends were around. Yongguk wasn’t good at conversation; it wasn’t his thing at all. No matter how he desired to talk to the stranger, he would always hesitate, afraid that he couldn’t break the ice and dropped the mood.

Truth be told, maybe Yongguk wasn’t a bit helplessly jealous; he was on the verge of hating people who could make the stranger—his beautiful stranger—smile, envious because he wasn’t the one who made that bright smile appear.

There were times when Yongguk wondered of what on the stranger’s mind was. Could it be possible that the stranger ever felt something when their eyes accidentally meet? Could it be possible that the stranger actually felt the same as what Yongguk felt over him? But, the thoughts would never stay longer in Yongguk’s head. It was impossible; the stranger didn’t even know him. Yongguk was a coward who was too afraid to even let the stranger know him.

But, until when, Yongguk?

The question would come and bother him every time he saw the stranger walking slowly among the tall bookshelves, looking for a book he would borrow before going home. The question would come and try to kill him every time he got a moment like now, standing across from the beautiful sight of the stranger, eyes locking on the delicate side profile of the gorgeous one.

He kept dreaming of the stranger, but it wouldn’t do anymore. He craved for more. More, more…

More than only seeing you like this.

It was when their eyes collide when Yongguk felt the soft smile just taking his breath away. A pair of starry eyes he always adored was now staring right at him, looking all warm and kind.

“Hello,” the stranger spoke and Yongguk felt like it was only one of his dreams. “You’re the one who always sit across from me.”

Was it a dream? Or was it a psychedelic reality? The lights that shyly broke through the windows glass behind the stranger made him look even more mesmerizing.

Maybe it was the time. Maybe it was the time for the stranger to know that Yongguk had seen him all this time.

“Yeah,” Yongguk said, voice shaking a bit. “Yeah, it’s me.”

The stranger smiled even softer at him.

That smile. That heart-stirring smile of yours. Am I imagining things now, or are you really smiling at me?

“I’m Jung Daehyun.”

A hand was hanging in front of him, waiting to be shaken. Yongguk stared at it dreamily for a second or two before wrapping his fingers around it.

So this is how your hand feels like against mine, soft and warm, just like you.

“I’m Yongguk. Bang Yongguk.”

I always see you.