Let her go [Hyungwon] - Venice_98

Monsta X - One Shots [REQUESTS OPEN]

Request by Venice_98 :

Name : Lee junah 
Partner : Hyungwon
Genre : angst,romance
Plot : When Hyungwon found out that his girlfriend(OC) had been dating his bestfriend behind his back and then decided to break up with her for her happiness even though he still loves her.

First of all, huge huge HUGE apologies for the super god damn late request completion. I know I and all for delaying this until the next year lol I need someone to kill me - But I hope you enjoy this. I tried to make it sad, but I'm not sure if it has that sad effect... I just couldn't imagine Minhyuk as the cheating type and that really made me delay this shet for ages. 

Word Count : 1, 279


 

The weather was sunny and Hyungwon was out in town finding a gift for Junah, his girlfriend. Their anniversary was nearing and he wanted to surprise her. Earlier that day, she texted him saying she was busy and had plans for the day. He felt a little lonely from the absence of her presence and decided to go out and take a walk. Before he knew it, he ended up searching for a gift. 

He ventured into a hair and accessories shop, scanning the display. Hyungwon gazed at the pretty hair ties that would definitely compliment Junah's beauty. Just the thought of his girlfriend made him smile. Gliding his fingers across the hair ties to the bracelets and necklaces section, he seemed lost. 

These would look nice on her. Heck, anything would look nice on her. Hyungwon looks at a particular bracelet with a key dangling on it. Without realising another presence, the gentle voice of a lady is heard, " Can I help you? " This made him turn to look at her and blink in surprise.

A petite lady almost half his size was standing there with a pleasant smile on her face. She reminded him of Junah. She was just a little smaller than her and had a dimple on her right cheek. Realising how long he was staring at her, he snaps out of it and quickly answers, " Uh, yes-- I'm interested in that bracelet over there.. "

The girl nods in understanding before proceeding to take the bracelet for him. She hands it to him, letting him check over it again.

" This will be nice. " he gives a small delighted smile. After paying for his item, he was off and simply walking around the area in boredom. Even then, he wondered what Junah was up to. He hums to himself before taking a seat at a nearby bench. Hyungwon was definitely bored but he didn't want to go home. Home would just leave him with more thoughts of Junah and that would make him miss her more. 

He stood up, deciding to go to a cafe since that would be a good way to waste time. Soon enough, he was sitting alone in the corner of a cafe, enjoying his cup of americano. Staring at bag containing the gift for his girlfriend, he imagined how she would react to it. He hoped she'd like it. Hyungwon shook his head, realising that his mind was full of his girlfriend. It was okay, really, considering that she is his girlfriend. However, these days he realised that they weren't as close as they used to be. 

Junah seems to go out without him more often. Saying that she had things to do and that she was just busy. Was there really nothing? He didn't want to doubt her nor jump to conclusions but it did seem possible. He knew her pretty well. And he knew her reaction was a little weird when he asked where she had been. 

Shaking his head, he then facepalmed himself. No point doubting his own girlfriend. That'll only make his mind stressed. There isn't anything wrong, he hoped. Hyungwon started comforting himself after that thought. Right, nothing is wrong.

The cheerful ringing of the bell when someone enters the cafe snapped him out of his thoughts. 

" The usual, iced americano? "

It was Junah's voice. 

" You know me. " 

That familiar voice made Hyungwon look up. No way that was Minhyuk's voice, too, right? His heart pumped wildly, thinking all sorts of scenarios. He hoped it was none of it. 

To his dismay, it really was the two of them. The two people he never expected to see together. Half of him was saying they're just friends, the other half was screaming that the two of them were together. Of course, he tried to think positive, but they were interacting so intimately. 

The way Junah smiled at Minhyuk was genuinely happy. She was really happy. That made Hyungwon's heart sink. Seeing her smile so happily to a man who wasn't him, but his best friend. Were the two really together? Does Minhyuk make her happier than he does? 

" Don't you think you should tell Hyungwon? It's not good to keep things from him, you know. " Minhyuk says, sounding a little sympathetic. So they are together and she didn't tell him. The hesitant voice of Junah made his heart sink even more. " I'll tell him, someday - "

" - Someday? " Hyungwon was standing in front the two of them, brows furrowed and eyes a little watery. He didn't know how to feel. Betrayed, thrown away, being lied to by his girlfriend and his own best friend. He had trusted Minhyuk. He trusted his girlfriend as much as his best friend, but the two repaid his trust this way. He was way beyond hurt but his tears never seemed to pour at the moment. 

However, the bright smile of Junah replayed in his mind. If Minhyuk really made her happier, then what choice did he have? If she was happier with him, then why should he keep holding onto her? 

The two were staring at him with their mouths open. They were shocked. They hadn't expected to see him here out of all places. Sure, they planned to tell him about this someday but not today. Now, the couple and Hyungwon simply stared at each other in silence.  

Minhyuk sighs, deciding to speak up first. " Let's sit down and talk, please? " 

And so, without another word, the three of them now sat at a table. Minhyuk, being the best friend, was thinking of ways to explain to him. He was glad that Hyungwon was patient but he really didn't know how to explain the whole situation to him. Say that his girlfriend ended up liking him more, or that it was his fault for having feelings for her in the first place? 

" It was my fault - " Minhyuk and Junah say at the same time, only to stop and look at each other. Hyungwon was speechless. The two even thought of blaming themselves? 

" How long has it been? " He starts, his voice was increasingly gloomier. Minhyuk looks down in guilt. " For about a few months. " 

Junah was looking down, too. She was guilty that she hadn't told him anything, nor told him about her feelings. That she realised she felt happier with Minhyuk. She felt even happier when she knew that Minhyuk felt the way she did. 

" It was all because I fell for him. Everything I do with him makes me happy - "

She pauses, turning to look at Hyungwon properly. 

" - Happier than when I was with you, I realise. But I didn't know how to say it. I was guilty yet happy at the same time. " Hyungwon felt as if his heart was being squeezed. He felt uncomfortable at the truth. Though, he was glad she finally told him. 

Because now, he finally knew what to do. 

It was raining. The rain seemed to pour endlessly, just like his tears. He was sad, hurt and feeling betrayed. However, the heavy rain seemed to keep his mind busy as he stared at the ceiling, blank. Hyungwon was indulging in the past memories of his time together with his girlfriend. 

And then he remembered.

They say, if you really love her, let her go. 

The man laid there on his bed, simply listening to the rain to distract himself from the thoughts of his now ex girlfriend. 

 

He let her go.