Chapter 2

Ambrogio

Taeyong was surrounded the instant he stepped into the high school parking lot. Everyone was there, the whole crowd he hadn't seen since summer started. He looked around the familiar faces, his  eyes automatically contracting due to the sunlight filtrating above him. 

"Taeyong, long time no see!" Johnny greeted warmly as he approached Taeyong with excited steps. Johnny  is one of the few people that Taeyong can consider as friends. He is a very friendly person that likes to make everyone feel good about themselves and that's exactly how Taeyong feels whenever he's around the latter. Like his problems will go away if he's with Johnny. 

"Yeah, it has been a long time. How have you been, Johnny?" 

Taeyong took the time to look at Johnny and that's when he notices that the other has probably grown at least an inch and was more dressed as an Kpop idol would. Johnny embraced Taeyong and stepped back, brushing his slightly longer black hair to the side.

"Summer's been pretty chill. Pretty much spent all my quality time with the fam. How about you? I heard that you and Hansol bro-" Johnny immediately covered his mouth, as if realizing that what he said is something that should be unspoken of. "Oh Tae, I'm so sorry! Me and my stupid mouth." 

Taeyong let out a soft laugh. "I don't mind  Johnny. It's cool." 

"Oh shoot, I almost forgot!" Johnny's eyes instantly was filled with excitement, his hands coming up to Taeyong's shoulder as he shook it with eagerness. "Guess what I learned this summer from my grandfather?!"

Taeyong raised his brow in wonder and before he can answer, Johnny informed him with delight. "Palm reading!"

Johnny snatched Taeyong's hands and closed his eyes, peering into Taeyong's palm. "Hm. lemme see..."

"Hurry up Johnny or we're going to be late," Taeyong said, a bit impatiently. 

"All right, calm down. Now, I'm seeing..." Suddenly, Johnny's face went blank, as if he was confused about what he saw. His brown eyes widened, his hand dropping Taeyong's own and he looked startled that he might be mistaken to be filming a scene from a horror film where the protagonist meets the villain. 

"What is it, Johnny? Why do you look so frightened?" Taeyong asked worriedly. 

Johnny shook his head, gulping in nervousness before speaking. "I saw darkness...and a stranger." his voice was hushed as if he's being careful not to let anyone hear what he's about to say next. "Although, he was tall...once." his eyes widened once again as he looked at  Taeyong, bewilderment painted in his orbs. "But that's impossible right?" 

Taeyong felt himself gulping. Not because of what Johnny said, but  because of how familiar the feeling he felt when he heard that word again.

Darkness.

It felt real. Like something is about to happen soon. And Taeyong knows, he can feel it. Danger is about to come. 

"Hey, Taeyong? Are you okay?" Johnny asked him on the side, tapping Taeyong. "You  look like you're aboout to pee your pants, that's why." 

Taeyong glared at the joke. "Shut up, Johnny." 

Johnny can only snicker as both of them made their way inside the campus, the two of them excitedly chattering about what they did during the summer. Taeyong found out that Johnny went to the U.S.A. for a few weeks to visit his grandparents and also catch up with other friends. Other than learning palm reading, Johnny pretty much read books about myths that he found on his grandparents library. Taeyong about being a nerd which Johnny retorts with a; "You read books more than me, Lee Taeyong." 

And as much as Taeyong doesn't want to admit that, it's quite true. 

On the other hand, Taeyong told Johnny about his trip to Disneyland during the summer. He summarizes how beautiful the place was and told Johnny that he can't wait to go there again. Taeyong recalls how Mark was too scared to approach this goblin-looking mascot in Disneyland that he looked like he was ready to pee his pants soon. Both of them laughed at that, with Johnny almost having fake tears in his eyes due to laughing so much. 

"Holy , I can totally picture Mark with that expression!" Johnny clasped his stomach, laughing as he tried imitating Mark's scared reaction, earning him a laugh from Taeyong. 

"Stop it, Johnny!" Taeyong laughed, shaking Johnny's shoudlers who is still laughing. "If he sees you imitating him, you're dea-" 

"Hyung!" 

Speaking of the devil. 

Taeyong turned around to see Mark running towards his way, with his backpack slung over his back, and a happy smile taking over his handsome face. Taeyong almost cooed at how his baby brother looks so cute but thinks twice about it when he remembered that Mark left without him earlier in the morning. 

"Yah Mark!" Taeyong called to his brother. "How dare you leave without m-" 

His words were cut off short when he noticed another figure behind Mark's back, looking very intently at him. Taeyong suddenly felt himself sweating and all he wants to do right now is run away. Right there was Hansol, walking cooly towards his way, the other's eyes placely fixed on Taeyong, his eyes still showing the care and love he has for Taeyong. 

"Uh-oh." Johnny nudged him on the side. "Your lover boy is coming your way, Tae. It's still not too late to hide." 

Taeyong gulped as he started freaking out mentally. ", , ." Taeyong curses under his breath. "Johnny! What the should I do? He's coming our way, holy I am not ready for this!" 

"Yah shut the hell up, Taeyong. You'll need to face him sooner or later." Johnny eyed him, suspiciously. "Did you even explain to him why you wanted to break up? Or did you just take off after telling him you two are over?" 

Taeyong looked at Johnny with guilt and that's all Johnny needs to know to answer his question. He knows that Taeyong just tried to spare Hansol more pain as to hearing Taeyong's reasons. That Taeyong never had feelings for Hansol. Johnny understands. Taeyong had always been nice.  Hansol had asked him out in front of the whole crowd during a basketball tournament, asking Taeyong to be his boyfriend, telling Taeyong how he grew to care for him during their friendship. Taeyong on the other hand didn't want to make Hansol embarrassed in front of a crowd and so he said yes. 'As long as Hansol is happy.' Johnny remembers Taeyong used to say.

Since then, Johnny sees Taeyong as someone who will sacrifice his happiness just to make others happy. It's one of the traits that makes people like him. 

"Hyung, I'm so sorry! I haven't seen Hansol hyung for too long and I wanted to spend some time with him too." Mark pouted when he reaced Taeyong as he wiped the sweat on his forehead, pointing behind him and to Hansol. 

"Look, hyung! Hansol hyung is here!" Mark told Taeyong happily, pushing Hansol towards his older brother, the two almost bumping against each other which made Taeyong flush in embarrassment. He made a mental note to kick Mark's later when they get home. 

"This is so awkward," Johnny whispered. "Hey, I think I'm gonna go... Class starts in ten minutes." Johnny looked at his watch hoping to the heavens that Taeyong would believe it but unfortunately, his best friend is not having any of it. 

Taeyong immediately shook his head, glaring. "Don't you dare Youngho Seo. You ain't leaving me alone with him."

Mark nudged Taeyong on the side, a pout playing on his lips. "Hyung, we can hear you guys. Aren't you happy Hansol hyung is here?"

 . Sometimes Mark cannot just take a damn hint. 

Taeyong tried to fake  a smile and he wishes that it doesn't look too forced. "Hehe, of course I'm happy." Taeyong said calmly but in reality, he can feel his stomach doing somersaults at the way Hansol was staring at him. "Hansol and I are friends. Of course it's nice to see him." Taeyong spoke and saw sadness flashed in Hansol's eyes and he can't help but to feel guilty again. 

"That hurts, man. Friendzoned!" Johnny said on the side and Taeyong tried hard  not to kick Johnny right there. 

"Can we talk later, Taeyong? Please." Hansol suddenly said, his voice laced with desparation and it only made Taeyong's heart clench because he cannot take seeing Hansol like this. So with a nod, Taeyong agrees. After all, they both need a proper closure so that Hansol can finally move on. 

---

 

First day of classes are the same as always. It's like a never-ending cycle. With the teachers reminding the students the rules and expectations, repeating what they said last year. And  the year before that.

Taeyong tried not to let out a tired yawn, glancing around the room and ignoring the words that are coming out of his teacher's mouth at the moment. His eyes landed to Johnny, the taller's head lying on his desk comfortably. Taeyong snorted. Of course Johnny would be snoring away right now. Taeyong let him. Just because he wants to see the teacher scold Johnny. It's always funnier that way. 

Taeyong's gaze landed in the front again as he pinched himself on the side to stop himself from falling asleep too. He doesn't think he can't take it anymore. Not when he can actually feel the heaviness under his eyes, begging him to close them. So with the last encourangement he has left, he raised his hand, immediately gaining the attention of his History teacher. 

"What is it, Mr. Lee?" 

"Sir may I excuse myself to go to the washroom?" Taeyong asked, feeling conscious about the looks and giggles some girls are throwing him. 

When the teacher nodded, Taeyong didn't waste any time to leave the room, leaving Johnny still sleeping soundly on his desk. As soon as Taeyong was out the room, he suddenly felt his own feet leading him into the school's office and he doesn't know why out of all the place he could take a break, he chose to go there. A long corridor stretched before Taeyong and he took the time to scan his surrounding. For some unknown reason, it felt eerily quiet that it made Taeyong feel like someone is watching him. He tried ignoring this feeling of anxiety bubbling inside him but a part of him keeps telling him that there is something quite not right. 

There is something wrong going on. 

Before he knows it, Taeyong found himself in front of the office window and immediately stopped in his tracks when he notices a figure of a man wearing a leather jacket, his sunglasses covering his eyes. His face was pale, so white that it made Taeyong's stomach flipped and he's not sure if it's because of excitement, eagerness or uneasiness. Taeyong took his time to observe the man and even from afar, Taeyong can see that the other is quite attractive. His black hair are messily tousled and Taeyong can't help but to gawk because the unknown man still looks striking. 

Taeyong gulped. Sudden emotions suddenly ran through his system and there's this new feeling bubbling inside him. Taeyong doesn't like to admit but just seeing the man in front of him is making him nervous. Like the unknown man is someone who screams authority. 

Someone who has some kind of power over him. 

Suddenly, Taeyong's brows furrowed in confusion when he notices that there seemed to be some kind of misunderstanding between the unknown man and the office's secretary. Mrs. Lau was looking at a list. She shakes her head and the man suddenly said something and Mrs. Lau ran her finger over the list once more and shook her head once again. Suddenly, Mrs. Lau looked up at the man's eyes and her expression immediately changed. 

The man's sunglasses are now in his hand. Mrs. Lau blinked for a few times and seems to be trying to speak but somehow, she can't. She looks through a pile of papers on her side, pushing a form on the man's hand, looking dazed. The man smiled thriumphantly and before he could turn around, Taeyong ran away from there before the unknown man could see him.  

Taeyong fastened his pace towards his class room, his heart beating fast under his chest. What was that? He thought. It seemed like it was somehow... forced.

He only wishes that the man didn't see him at all. That'll be so weird. 

When Taeyong reached his classroom, he quickly sat on his seat and looked at Johnny who is now wide awake. Taeyong poked Johnny on his side, earning him a glare from his friend. 

"What is it?" 

Taeyong bit his lip before speaking. "I saw this guy in the office and he looked like he was new." 

Before Taeyong could continue, Johnny interrupted him, his brows raised. "Let me guess, he's attractive, right?" 

Taeyong nodded shyly, earning him a snort from Johnny. "Wow, you were with Hansol for years and didn't have any feelings for the guy and now you saw this guy for not even a day and you already fell for him." Johnny clapped his hands quietly, laughing. "I have to give this guy some credit for finally making you notice someone!" 

Taeyong glared. "Excuse you, I didn't fell for him. I simply admired his attractive face which I did when I saw Hansol for the first time too." He reasoned, though still failing to convince Johnny who just continued laughing. 

Johnny nodded, obviously mocking Taeyong. "Sure, keep telling yourself that mate." 

Taeyong rolled his eyes, slouching back on his seat. There's no point arguing with Johnny. He knew that the other would only non-stop if he continues to defend himself and his ego. So with a sigh, Taeyong tried to focus on what his teacher is saying but fails when all his thoughts are filled with the new kid. 

---

It was lunch time and all Taeyong could hear around him is the murmuring of most of the girls talking about this new guy in their class and how mysterious and  hot he looks. Taeyong doesn't know why but it irked him. It annoys him that every one in his school is pretty much drooling about how attractive the new guy looks. It's true, no doubt about that. Even he managed to catch Taeyong's attention but still, it's not a reason to dwell so much.

Yet, Taeyong doesn't understand why he's so bitter about people talking about this new guy. Is he jealous because all their attention drifted on the new guy instead of him? Or is it for another reason? That maybe he just wants the guy all for himself?

Taeyong shook his head vigorously. How can I even think of it that way?

Taeyong tried to ignore the ridiculous thoughts swarming through his head as he scanned the rowdy cafeteria, his eyes searching for his group of friends. He spotted them at their usual table, laughing at something Taeyong couldn't  make out of. With his food in his hands, Taeyong walked towards them casually and he can't help bit to smile slightly at  the whispers and giggles some girls are throwing him, not failing to make him feel slightly better that at least someone is not fangirling over the new guy but to him instead.

"Guys, Taeyong is finally here!" Doyoung announced brightly as the orange-haired guy stuffed a mouthful of fries in his mouth. "About time!"

Taeyong flashed an apologetic smile as he took a seat beside Doyoung, his eyes roaming for Johnny but frowned when he notices that the other is not there yet. He placed his food on the table, biting his lip in question.

Huh, that's weird. What's taking Johnny so long?

"So, Taeyong." Doyoung started. "You broke up with Hansol?"

Taeyong almost choked on his saliva. Why is everyone so curious about that topic? He doesn't understand why everyone keeps mentioning it when they should know that it's still a sensitive topic for him to discuss. Taeyong sighed and notices that Taeil, his other friend is throwing threatening glares towards Doyoung who sat there like a clueless bunny, wondering what he did wrong.

"Doyoung, you little ." Taeil glared. "Leave him alone."

Before any of them could speak, Johnny excitedly sat beside Taeyong as he pushed a crumpled paper towards Taeyong's way, his eyes b with happiness and a mixture of teasing.

Taeyong opened his mouth to ask what it's for but before he can, Johnny already beat him to it. "Before you say anything, you're welcome Taeyong." Johnny winked.

The word suspicious is not even the word that's enough to describe what Taeyong is feeling as he opened the paper in caution and a tinge of doubt. His eyes immediately bulged upon seeing the content of the paper.

It's not an original paper at all. It's a schedule of what Taeyong can only comprehend is for the person that has been invading his mind since this morning.

"Ten Ezekiel Jung." Taeyong read the name that was stated on the very top of the paper, the name rolling on his tongue with a smooth and velvet flow. He turned towards Johnny who has a knowing smirk on his face. "What the hell is this, Johnny?"

Johnny simply shrugged, popping a fry on his mouth from Doyoung's plate. "It's exactly what you think it is."

"Wait, did you just say Ten? Like the Ten?" Doyoung intervened. "That kid is in my Physics class! Everyone has been talking about him saying that he's the definition of perfection. Which I cannot deny."

Taeil rolled his eyes. "No one asked, Doyoung. Just finish your fries."

Doyoung sat back on his seat, his shoulders slumped like a kid being scolded by his mother. 

"Johnny, how did you even get your hands on this?" Taeyong asked as his eyes scanned the paper in his hands. He discovered that Ten has Pre-Calculus as his first class, Physics next, then History. Taeyong's eyes widened at the realization. 

They have History class together. 

Taeyong gulped. "I... have History with him?" 

Johnny nodded, his eyes teasing. "Took you long enough to figure out." 

Doyoung looked at both of them in confusion, his brows knitted in wonder. "Wait, don't tell me you like Ten, Taeyong? You just broke up with Hansol!" 

Taeyong threw him a glare. "No, Doyoung. I don't like Ten!" Taeyong whispered harshly. "I don't even know him!"

"Plus, even if he does like Ten, it's none of our business Doyoung. His breakup with Hansol doesn't have anything to do with whoever Taeyong desires to like." Taeil muttered quietly, earning him a thankful look from Taeyong. 

"Geez, I was just wondering guys. No need to be all serious," Doyoung continued to eat his fries when all of  sudden, his eyes widened as he stares at a figure behind Taeyong. "Oh ." 

Taeyong looked behind him, puzzled at his friend's behaviour. Right there behind him, stood Hansol with his basketball jersey, his hair laid back by a Nike headband. Hansol continues to stare at Taeyong, sweat dripping on his forehead, a hard and intense basketball drill  evident on the other's appearance. Taeyong gulped at the person in front as he took notice of the sudden silent and awkward atmosphere surrounding them. 

"Taeyong, can we talk?" Hansol blurted out in the midst of the hushed environment. "I can't do anything right until I get to talk to you, Tae. You cloud my mind. Every. Damn. Time." 

Taeyong turned towards his friends, his eyes screaming for help. Johnny who noticed his best friend's reaction jumped in on the scene, throwing Taeyong a  comforting look. 

"Hansol, now's not the right time. Maybe you can talk to him later after school?" Johnny asked gently. "Don't you have practise right now?" 

Hansol shook his head. "Not anymore. Coach is trying to convince someone to join the team. He said we need him," Hansol rolled his eyes, sighing. "Guess we weren't good enough for him." 

"Like how you weren't good enough for Taeyong?" Doyoung inquired on the side, laughing, earning him glares from everyone around the table. ", sorry."

Taeyong threw a disapproving look towards his friend, making Doyoung smile innocently. "Doyoung, shut up." Taeyong glanced towards Hansol and saw that the other tried to avoid his stare. Guilt enveloped Taeyong and without a second thought, he took Hansol's hand with his own, his legs carrying both of them out of the cafeteria, leaving everyone with gawking eyes following their every move. 

This scene seemed familiar, Taeyong thought. He remembered the old days where Hansol would gently take his hand while they walk together in the silent nights of Seoul, with Taeyong taking comfort in the other's presence. Taeyong misses those days. The friendship they built with all those years is something that Taeyong cherishes dearly. It's something that he wants to keep, to save. 

Hansol is a very good man. He took care of Taeyong, gave him everything he has, and was there for the other when Taeyong need someone to talk to. Hansol is like a brother to him. That is why when Hansol confessed to him, he couldn't bear to hurt his best friend, forcing him to try to reciprocate the other's feelings. But as they became a couple, Taeyong couldn't go on with their relationship knowing that his feelings towards Hansol is not true. 

Hansol deserves better than that. 

Taeyong stopped at the bench they used to sit together before. He dropped Hansol's hand and saw the slight disappointment in the other's eyes when he did so. Taeyong cleared his throat as he sat at the wooden bench slowly, the other following soon after. An awkward  silence enveloped both of them, unspoken words circling in the air, with both of them not knowing how to say the words they longed to say to the other. 

"Taeyong," Hansol called to him, his voice hushed. "I know you only see me as a friend but I still wanted to try and win your heart. I never lost hope in wishing for that maybe someday, you'd love me...like I love you." 

Taeyong closed his eyes at the other's words. His heart feels tighter by the sincerity of Hansol's voice, only speaking of nothing but the truth that Taeyong can't provide back. "Hansol, I..." 

Hansol shook his head. "No, Taeyong. Listen to me," Hansol took Taeyong's hand softly from the other, like how he would always do when they were still together. "I failed to realize that when you really love someone, you would be willing to let them go if that's what would give them happiness, even if it means losing yourself." Hansol smiled at him sadly, kissing the tears away from Taeyong's eyes. "That's why I'm letting you go Taeyong, not because I want to but because it's the only way for myself to move forward and for you not to feel guilt just because you can't love me back."

"Hansol..." Taeyong cried in the other's shoulder. "You know I love you too." 

Hansol smiled. "Tae, we both know what you feel for me is not that kind of love," Hansol patted the other's hair softly. "Don't cry Taeyong. I would always be here for you. As a friend. I'll always look out for you like I always did. You won't lose me." 

"Thank you, Hansol." Taeyong muttered on the other's arms, his head laying comfortably on Hansol's shoulder, his heart feeling more light than before. He thought that he should have talked to Hansol earlier to avoid more complications. Taeyong smiled. Whoever Hansol would love next would certainly be lucky to be blessed with such an amazing guy. Taeyong smiled and as he was about to open his mouth to speak, his eyes caught a sight of something black standing still at a nearby branch, its eyes boring holes onto Taeyong's own. 

It was the crow. 

 

 

END OF CHAPTER 2


 

 

a/n: hello guys! sorry for the long wait~ it's bad to admit but i've kinda lost motivation to write for so long due to many things going on in school. but no worries, im officially back! i hope u enjoyed this chapter and pls look forward to the next!!

-athlete