// Chapter 1

The Ice Is Getting Thinner

They were your average high school sweethearts. No they didn’t end up getting married but right after college that had settled down in the same apartment together. Jonghyun had landed himself an office job right after college, and Kibum had been working an IT job since the last year of high school. Everyone knew they were bound to get married.

Jonghyun and Kibum were always happy, they used to do everything together. Rather it was Kibum picking Jonghyun up from work for a lunch break, them going to parks and having random picnics, or even special days they requested off just to have together. They did the most to be able to see each other.

Around last year Jonghyun had gotten a promotion, all their friends and of course Kibum had celebrated this. It was around summer time.

 

Kibum’s birthday had rolled around and Kibum knowing that Jonghyun had work, had planned to make dinner for both of them and celebrate when Jonghyun had came home. The thing is, Jonghyun never came home. The call Kibum received about him having to do overtime because he had paperwork and that he’d be home at 8pm. This is okay Kibum had told himself Only two more hours. Kibum still hasn’t heard one happy birthday from Jonghyun today, but he thought Jonghyun maybe had a surprise for him, and so he waited. 8pm had arrived and no Jonghyun. 8pm turned to 9, 9 turned to 10, and 10 turned to 11 until the click of the door was heard, not by Kibum, the boy had now been passed out on the table, but by Jonghyun who trudged throughout the house and into the bedroom, completely walking past the sleeping male.

 

Christmas had came along. The two planned to spend it with their friends Taemin, Minho, and Jinki as they always did. They were at Minho’s house playing board games and drinking happily. Something seemed off to the rest of the group, as Jonghyun and Kibum weren’t stuck at the hip as usual. They brushed it off and said they probably just had a stupid quarrel as usual.

 

Jonghyun’s birthday had come around. He came home to an empty house with only a note. Happy Birthday Jonghyun, sorry I couldn’t be there to celebrate with you, but mom called and asked me to help her move into her new house. I left a cake in the fridge for you. Jonghyun sat alone in the kitchen eating the store bought cake Kibum had gotten for him. No more homemade cakes were made this year.

 

“Are you and Jonghyun okay?” Taemin had asked one day. Kibum and him were sitting inside a quiet coffee house as a guitarist strummed away.

“Hmm?” Kibum responded, only watching the musician not really listening to what Taemin had said. Taemin sipped his drink and shrugged.

“Nevermind.”

 

Summer had rolled around. Kibum no longer made dinner for Jonghyun and Jonghyun no longer told Kibum goodnight. The summer seemed to be getting cold even though the sun shone every day.

 

“Let’s breakup.” Kibum had stated one day. Jonghyun had looked at him with confusion, but then slowly nodded. “I’ll pack my bags right now. I’m going back to Daegu.”

As Kibum packed his bags Jonghyun had sat in the living room staring at the TV and not knowing what was playing.

Kibum had walked down the stairs, bags all packed.

“I guess this is it. It was nice Jonghyun. Thank you.” Kibum waved, a small unnoticeable smile crept onto his face but Jonghyun had caught it. As the door was closed shut Jonghyun quietly whispered.

“Goodbye Kibum”