one

Lotto

“Welcome to the El Dorado, sir.” A masked figure smiled, helping the man shrug out of his coat before handing over the designated mask for the night: white with elaborate beading swirling around the eyes and delicate, fluttering feathers saturated with pearls and diamonds. 

He expected no less from such a place as he slipped it on with trembling hands. A perfect fit.

He felt his heart racing and palms sweating as he started toward those familiar doors with the intricate arteries of gold branching out in all directions, exuding nothing but pure wealth and power.

The intense rush of exhilaration he felt when he saw that familiar black envelope sitting so deceptively innocently on his welcome mat two mornings ago came racing back. He was finally here again. 

Memories of his last visit were still fresh in his mind as if they had occurred yesterday and not two years prior. He could still hear the twisted symphony of carnal s and savage blows; still feel the addictive heat from raging bonfires of burning bills and coiling in the pit of his abdomen; still taste the potent flavour of desire and immorality on his palate; still smell the intoxicating perfume of raw and drugs mixed with the unmistakable touch of iron; still see the bewitching haze of blown eyes and narcotised tranquility. 

A firm hand stopped him in his tracks, “Your phone, sir.” His eyebrows furrowed in frustration as he impatiently retrieved the item from his pocket and shoved it into the waiting palm. The figure smiled the same chilling smile and stepped back, “Do enjoy the rest of your night, sir.” 

The man felt like his body was vibrating, from fear or elation he had no clue. 

Maybe it was a toxic mix of both, he thought as the double doors opened and he stepped into those inviting shadows.