Shift

Shift

Jongdae knows it's a bad idea to be so close to humans but he's already turning over their dumpsters to search for leftovers. As a result, when he spots a happy dog wagging his tail like crazy in front of the most kind looking human on earth, fully equipped with sausages, Jongdae's mind stops. And the dog sees him. And he is coming over. And he's big. Damn, big dogs, big wolfs, they all scare the out of him. Needless to say, if he wasn't kicked out of his hybrid pack for reasons long forgotten, he would probably at least tried to enter the human society as a (preferably working) human. Not having any papers, and parents, and a great fear for other kids, Jongdae tried his luck as a wolf. Which actually worked out real well until the sweet old grandpa he came across living in the middle of nowhere died and couldn't share his food with him any longer. Big dogs reminds him of his old pack, and to say they weren't kind to him before they kicked him out could may be the biggest understatement ever. Which is why when he sees the dog approaching, no matter how friendly his approach, Jongdae freaks out and runs the fastest he can, almost getting hit by a car. He doesn't look back.

 

Jongdae is following the smell of sausage blindly in immense hunger (humans guard their trash way too well), when he ends up sniffing a humans pocket. As he finally realises, he sees the human looking a little bit surprised, his eyes searching for his owner. Instead, he sees the dirty, uneven and sad fur, and Jongdae can see his eyes widening with shock when he sees the cut Jongin got from a broken bottle lying next to some chicken bones. The human slowly sticks his hand into his pocket, and pulls out the most amazingly smelling zipper bag Jongdae has ever seen. Jongdae can see the hurt on his behalf all over the human's face, even though he recognises them, the feelings are kinda lost to him. It's been too long. The human holds out a sausage piece for him to take and Jongdae sniffs it suspiciously, before recognising the smell of that big dog, and guessing it's safe.

Jongdae knows he's being lured somewhere, but the sausage pieces are just too good to reject. The human doesn't say a word during the entire walk, just carefully ration out treats.

Jongdae is lead inside (which takes a lot of extra treats), and he end up in a scary tiny room almost freaking him completely out, but the human start petting his chest slowly, the treats flowing. The tiny room makes a noise and the same doors open, but it's not the same place. The human makes him follow him, and he carefully enters another door. The smell of that dog is absolutely overpowering, and he can hear it approaching. The door is closed behind him before he can run. Thankfully, he sees the gigantic dog coming to a stop in front of a low… fence thingie, that looks like a joke the dog easily could just step over, but the giant seems to be respecting it, wagging like a maniac.

"Hey, buddy. I brought home a friend so don't scare him, okay? Calm and easy." The dog sits down and wags his tail in much smaller movements after hearing those words.

"Now, he's hurt, so I need to call over Minseok, okay? And also, can I borrow your bed?" The dog leaves Jongdae's vision, only to come back holding a gigantic cushion. "Thank you, good boy!" The human ruffles his head and Jongdae feels a tiny pang of jealousy. The human comes back to where he's standing in the nearest corner, and sets down the cushion in another one, taking out a sausage piece and placing it on it. Jongdae carefully goes over to the cushion and takes the treat before backing off a little. The human only smiles, and places another one there, and then he gets up and climbs over the fence to the other dog. He comes back with a bowl of water and a bowl filled slightly with kibbles, making Jongdae's mouth water at the smell.

"There you go, sorry it's so little, I am afraid you'll eat to much or too fast or both." The human smiles at him before walking back to the other dog and over the fence thing again. Jongdae literally inhales the food, and drinks until he doesn't feel hungry anymore. He can hear the human talking in the other room.


Jongdae realises how soft and cushiony the cushion thing is, so even though it absolutely reeks of the dog, he eventually lays down, his body aching painfully aware of his long it's been and how much pain he's actually in.


When Jongdae wakes up, there's another voice in the apartment. He feels really foggy. Last thing he remembers was stirring in sleep because something sharp seemed to pierce through his skin, but Jongdae isn't sure. He also feels clean.

"He's clearly malnourished, he doesn't have any ID chip, he's got a lot of minor skin infections and injuries, but the bath should have helped a bit, and I cleaned and got bandage on his wound. It's nothing major, but he should rest for a while."

"Poor thing." The human says, almost as if whimpering.

"But, uhm Jongin, I'm not sure how I should say this, but uhm, are you sure he's a dog?"

"Huh?"

"No, no, it's probably nothing." The other human pauses. "I need to get going, but tell me if there is anything. Bye Yeol." Jongdae can hear the smile in his voice and he hears the dog wagging hard against a wall or something. When he sees the human coming, he instinctively tries to run away, but his body won't listen.

"Sorry pal, it's the sedative." Jongdae doesn't understand than word, but realises he was drugged, . Luckily, the human doesn't take advantage of his immobility, and just closes the door behind him.

"Are you hungry?" The human is suddenly back in front of him. Jongdae can smell the dog food. The human seems to pick up on his excitement despite his veggie state, and he sits down on the floor in front of him, feeding him one and one piece as his body slowly regains movement. He suddenly realises the fence thingie is open when he hear the sound of careful paws against the hard floor.

"Slowly, Chanyeol, don't scare him." The human says slowly, then offering Jongdae yet another piece.

Jongdae is busy staring at the large dog, before said dog gently pushes his nose against the human's hand, pushing the kibble closer to him. Jongdae reluctantly takes it, still staring at him, before the other dog very slowly lays down next to him. The extra heat actually feels really nice.


Jongdae stirs from the comfiest sleep he's had like ever, feeling the pressure on his bladder. Whimpering in protest to his bodily urges, he snuggles tighter together against the nice heat engulfing him. The smell is so nice and relaxing, and Jongdae rolls over on his back when a nice big tongue starts grooming him. He opens his eyes wide in shock, turning to look at the dog now his lips in submission, probably realising how badly he's freaking out. Jongdae starts shaking and slowly rolls over to his tummy, the dog whining slightly since he's moving away. Then, like a mind reader, he realises Jongdae's bladder is bursting and slowly crawls over to the human, Jongin?, drooling on the couch. He him until he wakes up, and — Yeol was it? — whimpers slightly, looking back and forth at the door and Jongdae, curled up shaking in the corner.

"Oh, , just tell him to wait a second, okay?"
Yeol whimpers in reply as Jongin tries to run around as gently as possible. Jongin carefully walks up to him, binding his body in something Jongdae only has seen on other dogs, carefully tightening it around him. It smells like Yeol's, but the smells really distant so he guesses Yeol must've grown out of it, as big as he is. Something clicks and Jongin hastily pulls something over Yeol's head and secures that too. Jongin walks over to the door, slightly pulling on whatever's around Jongdae's body. Yeol comes over, slightly pushing him with his head, and Jongdae reluctantly starts walking. They enter the scary tiny box again, but Yeol just grooms him through it, and then urges him out of it when it opens with a pling. They reach a small tree outside and Yeol pees on it, before nodging Jongdae to do the same. Jongdae reluctantly lifts his leg, finally letting that was pent up in his bladder out. They take a short walk, and Yeol makes him do number two as well, before they walk back in.


Jongin feeds them, stopping Yeol from offering him his, talking in a very serious voice as Yeol whines slightly.

 

Jongdae is sceptical to Jongin for days after he took him to this place, where Minseok (who is really far too good at belly rubs) was. Which was scary, but not the problem. They stuck him with needles, 'aidee chip' (which totally wasn't the nice food kind of chips) and 'va'-whatever to 'keep him healthy'. Jongin also pushed something down his throat with another needle for days after visiting Minseok and the creepy place. Like, why not just put it in a bowl, it didn't taste bad. He literally cleaned the needle after each time. He did eye Jongin suspiciously during that though (and the whole week to be honest, amusing Chanyeol), maybe the human has trust issues.

 

Jongdae is sceptical of shifting when Chanyeol is there, but one day he just can't fight it. Jongin ate this insanely amazingly smelling savoury-looking chicken dish, and left a portion in the fridge. The fridge, that he can't open as a doggy. Thus, he tries to hide from Chanyeol to shift, but the giant is way too perspective, looking at his strange restless behaviour as he tried his best not to fidget so he could conquer the fridge. Sadly, Chanyeol is far more curious than Jongdae is patient. The result is Chanyeols blown pupils as Jongdae the man stands there in front of the fridge, insecurely shifting his weight from one leg to another before making a move to the fridge. Jongdae's hands and human body is badly coordinated at the best, and opening a fridge sure as hell isn't as easy as Jongin makes it look. But with Chanyeol sniffing his human in pure confusion, Jongdae gets in and puts the chicken on the counter. Frustratingly, he manages to free the chicken (although he does make quite a mess) and he pushes it down to share with Chanyeol. Giving up on trying to eat as a human who can't control his limbs enough to eat with his hands, Jongdae shifts back.

After less than ten chicken pieces, Jongin walks to the door, letting out a whimper when he realises it's the remains of his beloved chicken smeared over the counter and the floor.
"Bad! Bad boys!" He sulks as Chanyeol around his mouth. Hah, if Jongdae was like the human's he has seen interacting with Jongin, he'd try to high-five Chanyeol right now. Hell, Chanyeol even knows how to, one of Jongin's favourite 'party tricks' as he calls it.
"Dammit, I was so sure I putted it in the fridge…" Jongin mumbles cleaning up after them. "Eating heated bones is dangerous guys, they splinter! God, think about how awful I'd feel if Minseok had to put you guys under the table, why would you do something so dangerous guys?"

 

Jongdae's been living with them for about a week when they're out on a walk and Jongin leads them towards the woods. As they reach the edge of the forest, Jongdae tries to back away, his harness bound to Chanyeol's and Jongin's leash keeping him still. Luckily for Jongin, Chanyeol ends up taking the force of him trying to break away. It to be the smallest one, as Chanyeol just calmly looks at him. Jongin bends down, looking at him with a worried expression.
"What is it, little guy?" He asks, ruffling his long hair under his ear.
"Did you get dumped in the forest?" That's kinda what happened, so Jongdae whimpers in reply.
"Oh, you poor little thing." Jongin hugs him, Jongdae feels tears falling down on his shoulder. Chanyeol takes a big at him. They stay there for awhile, Jongdae senses another pack circling around them in the woods defensively. Jongdae's agitated behaviour gets them to turn in time. When they finally get back to Jongin's place, Jongdae's legs buckles under him and he collapses on the floor. Chanyeol curls around him in comfort.


After listening to Jongin sulk for days, Jongdae doesn't shift again until Chanyeol suddenly starts acting all weird. Jongin is frozen at the doorstep watching the strange little nosy screen by the door as Chanyeol growls low. He stands there rooted to the floor for a good five minutes or so (Jongdae canine time-unknowing part is kinda overpowering his human-side awareness), until there's sudden banging on the door.
"Jongin, Jongin, I know you're in there! Open up for 's sake!" The banging continues. Jongin pushes the screen thing, breathing in courage.
"It's late, go home. You're drunk."
"Not until you ing let me in!"
"You're disturbing my neighbours, just leave!"
"Then just let me in already!"
Jongin speaks again, but without holding in the button, "what the am I doing", opening the door. A human staggers inside, a half empty bottle of that thing Jongin smells when he's been out late and gets all giggly and super-touchy, some of it falling out of the bottle.
"Alone as always, huh Jongin? Don't be like that, crazy dog lady, they're not human, they can't you like I do." He reaches for Jongin, his clothes as he tries to kiss him, but Jongin turns his head in disgust. Chanyeol gives him the look, pushing him towards the bedroom and Jongdae uncertainly walks away, looking over his shoulder.

In the end, he does it. He shifts. He tries putting on Jongin's clothes but gives up after finally wrestling on a sweat shirt. It very barely covers his , but he hopes it's okay. His pride would have hurt even more if he totally swam in Jongin's size. , he hopes Chanyeol is right. About shifting. Showing Jongin without any explanation first. That he isn't screwing everything up. Suddenly, a stranger coming out of Jongin's bedroom out of thin air. Taking a deep breath, he walks out to the others.
"Jongin." He pouts, circling his arms around him. The other man stares at him in shock, not noticing Jongin's similar expression. Chanyeol pushes his head against Jongin's thigh to get his attention before himself against Jongdae, as to tell him he's okay. Jongdae lovingly ruffles the short, soft hair on his head.
"I'm sorry honey," Jongin says testingly. "I'll be right back, I promise."
"Good," Jongdae murmurs against his chest, burying his face in his muscles as Jongin loves to do in his wolf chest.
"Man, you could've, you should've said something man! I didn't knew you preferred '', man!" The bad man mutters, staggering for the door. Jongin closes it after him, confusingly looking at them, Jongdae trying to hide behind Chanyeol.
"Uhm," Jongdae tries to speak, but it's all to scary and he just wants to hide away in Chanyeol's embrace, and to do so he needs to shifts, so he just. Shifts.


It's too silent. The sweatshirt is pooled around his wolf form and he's too scared to lift his head.
"Oh , I'm loosing it." Jongdae tries to shake his head, and Chanyeol keeps pushing him slightly, urging him to do it again. Jongdae gives in. Walking over to Jongin before his hand, he steps back with his neck bowed. Slowly, he shifts, the shirt almost falling off his shoulder, showing off a little too much skin. Hesitantly, he opens his mouth, pointing,
"Me, 'Chen'," what Jongin usually calls him. "I, Jongdae. I, Chen." Jongin walks over to him, suddenly smelling his hair. Jongdae feels his knees buckling slightly when he touches his cheek, holding it to smell him.
"Warm vanilla cookie," Jongin suddenly says. "Holy —, Chen, why didn't you tell me?"
"I —" Jongdae cowers, trying to melt into Jongin's hand. He can feel Jongin's eyes piercing through his skin.

"God, you look so hot."
Jongdae looks up at him in confusion.
"Look. Hot?" Jongdae pauses, searching for the words and the meanings. "No, no fever?"
"Damn, you're so cute. Not that kind of hot silly. y hot, Chen." Jongin chuckles. Jongdae breathes out relieved. He doesn't understand, but as long as Jongin's happy.
"No un… under… I — not know," Jongdae tries hesitantly, "but!" He looks shyly into Jongin's eyes. "Jongin happy, Chen happy!" Embracing Jongin once again. He doesn't really understand it, 'hugging', but it feels really nice. Jongdae wants to be human more so he can do this more often. Chanyeol teasingly pushes him, making him lose his balance and Jongin grabs on to him, holding him securely.

They stay like that until Chanyeol whines impatiently, and Jongin giggles making Jongdae follow the suit.
"Let's go to bed, hey?" Jongdae nods his head vigorously. "Come on." Jongin grabs his hand, pulling him into the bedroom.

Feeling awkward, Jongdae shifts again, struggling out of Jongin's sweatshirt stuck around his wolf form. He hears Jongin snorting. Giving Jongin a glare, he curls up against Chanyeol. Escaping uncertain situations is too hardwired into his brain. Unable to defy the instincts that's kept him alive, he wonder what expression shines in Jongin's eyes.


In the middle of the night, he sneaks up on the bed, curling against Jongin as the human ruffles his fur and spoons him. Chanyeol joins, settling by Jongin's feet.

 

 

 

{I'm sorry for not finishing my other stuff first. I really at writing in the right direction, to get the storyline I wanted. 죄송해요…

I drabbled some for this story, but decided against it, so if you want I should be able to polish it and post a read-optional sequel. If you want that, request it in the comments & remember to subscribe.}