Final

We Love You, Always

    Yoo Dahyun is Yoo Jungyeon and Hirai Momo’s eldest daughter in the family. She was adopted by the pair when she was merely a week old. She was a year old when they adopted Chaeyoung.

 

        By the time she was two, they had adopted their youngest child, Tzuyu. It seemed like the pair loved adopting kids. Dahyun being the eldest was paid less attention to and was expected to be the ‘role model’ for her two younger sisters. She had the most responsibility out of the three siblings since she was the oldest and little Chaeyoung was too young to help little Tzuyu and Momo umma.

 

    Dahyun already knew how to talk, so she helped Momo umma take care of little Tzuyu and help Chaeyoung speak. “Tzuyu and Chaeyoung get babied by umma so much. I barely get anything.”, Dahyun thought as she poked Tzuyu’s cheeks while Tzuyu was sleeping. Tzuyu turned due to the unending poking of her cheeks, and after several times, baby Tzuyu cried again as her sleep was disturbed.

 

    “Yoo Dahyun! Why did you make your little sibling cry? I just put her down to sleep not even an hour ago! Go to your room right now!”, yelled Momo umma.

 

    Dahyun didn’t understand. She just wanted to play with little Tzuyu’s cheeks. Dahyun pouted. Everyone was scolding her and he didn’t understand why. Dahyun was always scolded for the simplest of things, like eating too many cookies, or not sharing food with her siblings, or when she accidentally peed because she forgot to go to the restroom.

 

    Dahyun didn’t mind the nagging from his Himchan umma, but the scoldings always came from her dad, Jungyeon appa. Often, Dahyun would get spanked and punished by Jungyeon appa for not doing her chores or getting her clothes dirty because she was playing with her friends.

 

    It wasn’t fair to Dahyun. She was always scolded by her appa, but Tzuyu and Chaeyoung never got scolded even once. They got to sit back and have fun while she did all the work for them.

 

    But because she was naughty and mischievous while Chaeyoung listened to what she was told and Tzuyu was a quiet kids, she quickly shooed the thought away.

 

    Dahyun was 13 and the school had a talent show. Dahyun wanted to join badly to show that she was a daughter her parents could be proud to talk about with the neighbors. She wanted to be the daughter that every parent would want to have. She got in trouble for getting into a fight with another student in her class for making fun of Jungyeon appa since Jungyeon appa was the father figure in the household even though she was a woman. That day, Jungyeon appa was very angry with Dahyun and wouldn’t talk to her for a week.

 

Chaeyoung would come home with an award every month showing how well she behaved and Tzuyu was always at the top of her class. Dahyun was jealous. Her parents would only tell her to study or try to be like her sisters. She was the oldest and she should’ve been the role model, but instead she felt like a nuisance. That was why she had to be able to win talent show. She had to be able to show she was worth something.

 

    Dahyun would practice singing everyday after school, often going home as the sun was setting. Momo umma was worried, but Dahyun didn’t understand why. Wouldn’t it have been better if she weren’t at home so there would be less trouble caused in the house? She got into trouble too much. That was why Jungyeon appa would spank her so much and yell. She was only a pest that caused trouble to the family. That’s all she was.

 

    “Yoo Dahyun! Where were you!”, her appa’s boomed through the entire neighborhood that evening.

 

    “At school.”, Dahyun responded. Short and simple. She was tired. hurt from all that practicing. She felt like skipping dinner and just taking a long nap. That way, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu could eat as much as they wanted and Dahyun would eat the leftovers that nobody wanted at night when everyone was asleep.

 

    “What were you doing so out so late? School ended at 3 PM. It’s currently 7 PM! Do I have to give you another spanking?”, yelled Jungyeon appa. Dahyun frowned and looked at her feet. She didn’t like spankings but she didn’t want to tell her parents what she was doing. She wanted to surprise them. She would rather make it worse for herself now so that her parents would be surprise later on.

 

    “ I told you. I was at school.”, replied Dahyun. She was getting frustrated. Why was Jungyeon appa so ANGRY?

 

    “Don’t lie to me Dahyun.”, said her appa.

 

    “Why would I even lie to you?”, she asked.

 

    “I don’t know. You tell me.”,

 

    “I have nothing to tell you since I was doing nothing.”, Dahyun replied. She was getting so tired she just wanted this to end quickly.

 

    YOU WERE DOING NOTHING FOR THE LAST FOUR HOURS? WHAT ABOUT TZUYU? SHE WAS AT DAYCARE ALONE! AND CHAEYOUNG! SHE’S NOT OLD ENOUGH TO WALK HOME ALONE!”, yelled her appa, making Dahyun flinch.

 

    She had never seen her dad so angry.

 

    Oh, mudda . She forgot that the Chaeyoung and Tzuyu had doctor’s appointments today and was told to pick them up from school.

 

    “I’m sorry.”, she said, with her head hung low.

 

    “Sorry isn’t going to cut it young lady”, scolded appa, her voice low and dangerous.

 

    “Why can’t they walk home alone? You made me start walking to school when I was ten. Tzuyu’s eleven and Chaeyoung’s twelve years old! And you assumed I wasn’t busy either?”, Dahyun shot back.

 

    “Well we were getting busy that time so we had no choice but to let you walk to school. You know that Dahyun. You told me you were doing literally nothing at school for four hours.”, replied her dad, still yelling.

 

    “You’re always up to no good! You never do anything right. You always cause trouble and you’re always up to no good. WE ARE ABSOLUTELY SICK OF YOU!”, yelled Jungyeon appa, making Dahyun flinch again.

 

    Dahyun was taken aback by what her dad said. She always thought that no matter how much trouble she caused her umma and appa would forever love her. Or at least like her.

 

“Oh..”, she said still in shock.

 

Jungyeon looked at her daughter’s face and knew she had gone way overboard.

 

“Well I’m sorry I was late. I won’t do it again. And I’m sorry I make you guys so sick of me.”, said Dahyun trying to hold in her tears b in the corners of her eyes, as she ran past her mom into her room slamming the door closed.

 

“She had a vocal lesson.”, said Chaeyoung quietly, still looking down at her plate.

 

“What?”, said Momo umma, as she came from the kitchen.

 

She exchanged look with her husband as Chaeyoung continued ”She wanted to make you guys proud. She wanted to be the one you guys could trust, so she stayed back four hours to practice. That’s why she came home late. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you guys. She made me promise not to tell you guys. She wanted to surprise you guys. She wanted to show you something good from her for once in a lifetime.”, Chaeyoung said quietly, while Tzuyu just looked surprised.

 

Jungyeon rubbed her face a few times. Momo umma gave her the look that said, you are in such big trouble.

 

Later that night

 

    Dahyun couldn’t stop the tears flowing down her face. She had cried herself to sleep earlier and was now awake sitting by the window hugging her knees. It was where she sat when she was sad about something. She remembered her dad’s words said to her earlier and continued crying. She wiped her face with her hands, trying her best to stop crying. She was the oldest one and she wasn’t supposed to cry like this. She was supposed to be strong. But she couldn’t stop crying. So she cried silently. Her arms hugging her knees, her shoulders racking from crying. She was crying about what her dad said to her earlier and part of her was still scared that Jungyeon appa was going to come and come back and spank her. She didn’t know what time it was, but she was still scared.

 

    Suddenly, she heard a knock on her door. She knew it was her dad, and hoped he would leave her alone, but she still hopped into her bed as quietly as possible, so she would think that Dahyun was still sleeping. She turned towards the wall and laid as still as possible. Please leave. Please leave she thought.

 

    Fat chance. The door opened and with her footsteps, she knew it was her father.

 

    Jungyeon appa knew Dahyun wasn’t sleeping. She went over, sat on the edge of her bed, and gently shook her her shoulder. After calling her name several times, Dahyun finally sat up. She wouldn’t look at Jungyeon in the eye. She was scared of what was about to happen.

 

    “Dahyun?”, called her appa.

 

    Dahyun was silent for a moment before responding to her dad.

 

    “Yes ma’am.”, replied Dahyun.

 

Jungyeon frowned on the inside when Dahyun said ma’am. Jungyeon knew she had gone too far earlier and she knew Dahyun was thinking she came in to give her a spanking.

 

“Dahyun, come here.”, Jeongyeon called. Oh man, this is it Dahyun. Prepare to never, ever sit again Dahyun thought. Dahyun got up, slowly walking over to Jeongyeon, not looking her in the eye. Dahyun was too ashamed to look at her appa in the eyes. She was a shame to the family, not able to do anything. No one could trust or rely on her anymore.

 

Walking over to Jeongyeon appa, Dahyun was quickly picked up off her feet and was sat on her appa’s lap like a little baby before any of her siblings were adopted. How do I even remember this? She was quickly pulled into a tight warm hug. A hug that she yearned for so much ever since her siblings were adopted. But she knew she was going to get spanked so she didn't return the hug. She didn't deserve it in the first place. Instead, to her surprise Jeongyeon lifted her chin up with her hand, making Dahyun look at her.

 

“I’m so sorry for what I said earlier Dahyunnie. I never meant it. Please forgive me. I don't hate you. I never could and I never will. I will never get sick of you. Dahyunnie, I love you.”, Jeongyeon said looking straight into Dahyun’s eyes. Dahyun felt like she wanted to cry and Jeongyeon knew it. Jeongyeon enveloped her in a huge, warm, loving hug, and Dahyun let her tears flow. Soon she found herself in her mother's lap enveloped in the similar warm, loving hug.

 

Aishteru, Dahyunnie.”, Momo umma said while wiping the tears and snot off of Dahyun.

 

“We’re sorry we didn't pay much attention to you. You're growing up, and strong too, we thought you could take it. We’re sorry.”, Momo umma said whispering comforting into Dahyun’s ear while her hair and patting her like when she was still a baby. They stayed like that for a few minutes with Jeongyeon appa joining them in the hug.

 

Soon, Dahyun realized that she was hungry and hadn't eaten any food since she got home. She looked up, hesitant to ask.

 

“Umma? Can I-can I have some food?”, looking up into her mother's beautiful brown hazel colored eyes.

 

“Silly, of course you can. You can have as much as you want this time, just don't tell your sisters.”, her mother said, tucking a few strands of hair behind Dahyun’s ear while chuckling softly.


“Just remember Dahyunnie. Umma and appa will always love you, no matter what you do.”, Momo umma and Jungyeon appa said at the same time, making Dahyun’s heart swell with happiness and love.