[ Final ]

The stupid prankster and his idiotic prank

“Get back here you jerk!” Sumin cried as she chased the male around. She was starting to run out of breath as this game began nearly twenty minutes ago and truthfully, she was not as fit as she used to be - running around like teenagers was not meant for her adult age. How did it start? Well, let’s just say her friend was the definition of a prankster.

 

Thirty minutes ago.

“Jeon Sumin, I swear to the skies you are you fun at all,” the boy next to Sumin said with bored face. “You don’t see the fun in anything!”

“You’ve known me for ten years. Did you just realise that now?” Sumin asked as her brows rose. “You’re dumber than I give you credits for.” She smirked.

The boy gasped dramatically and he placed a hand on his chest above his heart. “I can’t believe you just said that!” he cried. “I’m gonna tell everyone about the crush you had on that basketball guy!”

Sumin rolled her eyes at her friend. “Baek, that was eight years ago. Do you honestly think I’d care about that now?”

Baekhyun pouted as he glared at Sumin. The pair of them met back when they were still attending school and their relationship had miraculously survived through all these years right into adulthood. Sumin was an office worker, the typical nine-’till-five type. In Baekhyun’s opinion, the job was perfect for the girl, since they were equally as boring and dull. Baekhyun, on the other hand, had a much more active job than his friend; he was a nursery school teacher, who looked after kids that had parents who wanted them in early education but unfortunately were a tad too young for school, therefore were forced to begin “earlier education” in daycare. Baekhyun enjoyed his job a lot as he liked interacting with kids, but the only problem he had with his work was the parents of the kids. He had no problem communicating with small children, but he hated speaking to adults who cared more about the amount of maths sums their kids completed rather than if they had made any friends during the day.

“Baekhyun, seriously, how old are you?” questioned Sumin. She took a sip of her iced americano as she watched her friend. They had agreed to meet up in a coffee shop after not seeing each other for a couple of months and although the months were peaceful for Sumin without Baekhyun’s constant nagging and talking, Baekhyun was surprisingly incredibly lonely.

“But Sumin, you gotta loosen up,” Baekhyun replied. “I mean, you’re all cooped up in your office twenty-four-seven - you don’t even get to see the outside world!”

“You talk as if I live in a cave.”

“What’s the difference?” The boy took Sumin’s drink out of her hands and quickly took a sip, ignoring the annoyed look on the girl’s face.

“The difference is that I don’t live in a cave,” Sumin said. She understood where Baekhyun was coming from, but she wanted her life to be normal and peaceful. She wasn’t a fan of excitement or thrill, in fact she hated things that would disrupt her plans. Being a very much organised person, Sumin would get rather annoyed if her plans were ruined because something unexpected happened - that was one of the reasons why she would alway, always, have a Plan B.

Baekhyun sighed as he thought of ways to get Sumin out of her shell. She was a stubborn person who would never listen to other people’s opinions, no matter who or how wise they were. She had her own ways of doing things and absolutely despised people who sticks their nose into her business. To be honest, Baekhyun was surprised at how their relationship had continued despite his countless attempts of prying into her life. Ever since they got to know each other, he had always been on the initiative side - asking to be friends with her, suggesting places to go and things to do during their free time, etcetera - and it had always been a wonder as to why Sumin followed his plans.

Suddenly, an idea stuck the boy and his face lit up instantly. He grinned cheekily at Sumin and the latter mentally braced herself for the stupid things that he would say or do.

“Say, how long ago was it since you last exercised?”

 

Present time.

“Byun Baekhyun you will die in my hands once I get you!” Sumin gritted her teeth as she ran after the boy in the park. She was getting out of shape, she knew, since she spent every day sitting in front of her laptop in the office. She had thought about going to the gym once in a while, but she didn’t like having other people around when she did her thing. And now she was having difficulty catching up with her friend because he obviously was much fitter than she was.

Baekhyun turned to her and stuck out his tongue childishly. “That is if you get me, not once you get me,” he laugh. “And by the looks of it, you’ll never catch up to me!” He waved his arms above his head in a teasing manner that had Sumin send daggers at him with her eyes, because in his hand was her phone that held many, many, many clients’ information. If somehow that device got destroyed, so would her career.

Sumin stopped running as she found herself unable to breathe properly. She placed her hands on her knees and bent down, wheezing for air. She closed her eyes and cursed at how stupid she was to fall for Baekhyun’s idiotic prank.

Back in the coffee shop, Baekhyun had lied about his phone dying and needing to call the day care about some important matters. Once she agreed to lend him her phone, he grabbed it and fled out of the cafe in lighting speed (according to Sumin), giving Sumin no other option but to run after him - or her phone.

“What happened to the girl who used to outrun me in PE class?” Baekhyun asked with a scoff; of course he knew the answer to his own question, but he just had to rub it into his friend’s face.

“You run after kids every day, I don’t,” Sumin managed to reply after a few seconds of oxygen intake.

“But you run after the people who hand in their reports late, what’s the difference?”

“You don’t run in the office building.”

“We don’t run in the day care building,” Baekhyun said, as Sumin slowly stood up. He grinned as he continued, “We run outside of it.”

“You know,” Sumin started slowly as Baekhyun was snorting with laughter, “I really want to kill you.”

“But you’d be lonely without me.” Baekhyun shot her a wink and his signature cheesy smile.

“You’re the one who’d be lonely,” said Sumin. “I’d be peaceful without you.”

“Wow, this is the second time you’ve broken my heart in the span of an hour.”

Sumin rolled her eyes. “Your heart is just too weak.” Baekhyun gasped but she ignored his overly dramatic display as she held out her hand with her palm upwards. “Now hand me my phone before I tell everyone about your crush on that science girl.”

The boy grinned as he came to wrap his arm around the girl’s shoulders. He bumped his forehead on the side of her head and chuckled. “Actually, why don’t we head back to the cafe and talk about my days as a basketball player and your days as a science club member?”