Chapter 3

This Isn't What My High School Life Is Supposed To Be!

Shiraishi POV

Light filtered in through the window blinds, illuminating a spot on my bedroom floor. It created a sort of picturesque, peaceful atmosphere, but I was in no shape to appreciate it. Ironically, on the other side of my room, I was a hot mess running around, trying to get ready for school in a flurry of chaos and disorder.

I flew down the steps and out the front door, automatically slipping a hand inside my skirt pocket, feeling for my phone. The screen switched on, displaying the time. 

7:43 AM

I was late. Cursing under my breath, I stuffed the phone back into my pocket and dashed down the street, throwing out a quick greeting to the grandma who ran the corner store across from my apartment. As I ran, my thoughts flashed back to last night, walking home in the dark with a certain girl. My face flushed and I quickly shook my head to clear my mind. Focus on running, or you’ll get detention for being late.

Fifteen minutes later, I stormed into classroom 1-D, just barely making it on time. 

“Shiraishi!” My teacher scolded. “Stop being so noisy in the morning! This is a school, you hear?”

“Yes,” I muttered. “Sorry, sensei!”

“And come to school earlier!” She turned back to the blackboard and continued writing. 

As I made my way down the aisle to my seat, I suddenly came face to face with the girl I spent last night dreaming about. Nishino Nanase. God, what an angel. 

“Good morning, Shiraishi-san,” She smiled kindly. “Glad to see you’re as punctual as always.”

I laughed nervously. “Haha, I try my best,” I replied idiotically. “Are you going to the softball club today too?”

“Yeah, I’m still trying to figure out what I want the manga to be about.”

I fisted pumped mentally. Yesterday was a mess, but I would show off my skills during today’s practice. Screw Wakatsuki. I’d be the hero today. “Ah, then would you like to go together after school?”

“I’d love to. I’m still a bit shy around the team,” She smiled sheepishly. “So it’s nice to know you’ll be there.”

I must have turned into a tomato. Her cuteness was definitely not good for my health. I ducked my head and mumbled out “no problem” before plopping into my seat. I was such an idiot. 

 

Nishino POV

I giggled at the sight of Shiraishi-san with her head in her arms. So she has a side like this, too. Yesterday night, she had walked me to my house, despite the fact that it was already late. In that moment, I thought she was quite the gentleman, much like Wakatsuki-senpai. Maybe the softball team was just filled with cool people. 

Someone poked me on the head. “Naa-chan, good morning!” I turned around to find an energetic Ikoma-chan. “How was manga club?”

“It was fun,” I smiled. “We got assignments to draw manga, and mine is supposed to be on softball, so yesterday I spent the afternoon observing the softball team.”

“Ohhh, Wakatsuki-senpai is on the team, right? I heard she’s really popular with the underclassmen.”

“You know her?” I felt a strange sinking feeling in my chest. Was it disappointment?

Ikoma-chan nodded. “She’s gotten five confessions in the last month.”

“Woah, that’s a lot…” I trailed off, not know how to respond. Thankfully, the teacher chose that moment to begin the class, and I averted my attention.

After listening to the lecture for about twenty minutes, I could feel my focus start to run out, and found myself staring out the window. To my surprise, Shiraishi-san was also gazing out the window, contemplating about something. 

My mind kept drifting to what Ikoma-chan had said earlier, the fact that Wakatsuki-senpai was so popular. I had gotten a bit caught up in the way she had saved me (multiple times), that I guess I had begun to hope that I was a bit special to her. However, this prospect now seemed unlikely. I sighed and turned my attention back to the window.

Shiraishi-san had stopped staring out the window and was now focused intently on the teacher, periodically scribbling down notes. Just like I had in the dressing room yesterday, I began to observe her features.

I already knew she was beautiful, but her arched eyebrows and straight nose gave her a tomboyish look. Ah, Shiraishi-san is probably popular as well. My eyes wandered around the classroom. Our class was filled with absurdly cute girls. Everyone looked like they could be part of some idol group. No doubt some of them would be attracted to Shiraishi-san, or that Shiraishi-san would be attracted to one of them. 

Oddly enough, I found myself experiencing the same emotion I had felt earlier when Ikoma-chan told me about Wakatsuki-senpai. Maybe jealousy was a better term for it. No, not jealousy. I shook my head. It couldn’t be that. I had just gotten to know Shiraishi-san, and was most likely excited over the prospect of a new friend. Disappointment was still more accurate.

I frowned. What an unpleasant feeling.

 

Shiraishi POV

School could not pass by fast enough. I barely registered anything the teacher talked about. All I could think about was after school, when Nishino would be watching the team—watching me—practice. 

The lunch bell rang, and I instinctively reached into my bag for my bento box. I rummaged around for a bit, but no lunch appeared. I swore silently. In my rush to get of the house this morning, I had left my lunch at home. 

“What’s wrong, Maiyan?” Matsumura Sayuri towered over my desk, holding an impressive amount of yakisoba bread in her arms. 

“I forgot my lunch at home, so I’m gonna go to the school store to get something. Do you want me to get anything for you?” I asked, eyeing the bread mountain. 

“Ohh, can you get three pork buns for me? I’m feeling a bit hungrier than usual.”

I rolled my eyes at Sayurin’s gluttony. “You’ll get fat, you know.”

“No I won’t,” She pouted. “You’re just jealous of my yakisoba.”

“As if,” I snickered. “Iku-chan, want to go to the store with me?”

Ikuta Erika, who was holding her own massive pile of bread, nodded happily. “They’ve got good sandwiches today!”

“Alright,” I gestured at Sayurin. “We’ll be back soon.” I stood up and stretched a bit. Sitting down was tiring. I preferred to be active, but sports like soccer and basketball were a bit too physical for me. Softball, however, required feats of teamwork but still allowed you to maintain personal space. Unless, of course, if someone crashed into you.

I was reminded of the damage Nanamin had caused when a sudden stinging sensation shot up my leg as I walked. 

“What’s wrong?” Iku-chan had noticed the grimace on my face.

“Oh, it’s nothing.” I smiled. “I got a bit scratched up yesterday during practice.”

Iku-chan frowned. “You gotta be careful, Maiyan. Sports are so dangerous. Unlike piano.” She nodded approvingly to herself. 

“Thanks,” I laughed. “But softball has its merits as well.” 

“Like what?”

Like being an excuse to see Nishino everyday after school. As if I could say that. “Like working off all that fat from eating so much.” I reached over and pinched Iku-chan’s stomach, resulting in a yelp. 

“That’s not fair!” She cried. “I can’t help it that I love eating!”

“Sure, sure.” I grinned. “Teasing you is so easy.”

“I hate you.”

“You love me.”

“Shut up.”

We turned right down the hallway, nearly bumping into another classmate.

“Oh good timing, you two!” Sakurai Reika seemed very out of breath and very irritated. “Have you seen Waka anywhere?”

“Wakatsuki?” I raised my eyebrows and looked at Iku-chan. She shrugged. “Nope, sorry. Is it something urgent?”

“Uh," Reika suddenly seemed very flustered. “It’s just that she promised to eat lunch with me today. But I can’t find her anywhere!”

I smirked. “Awww, cute. A romantic lunch.” 

“S-shut up!” Reika flushed. 

Iku-chan grinned. “Reika, why don’t you just confess already. With how popular she is, she’ll be taken any time now.”

“It’s not that simple!” Reika pouted, looking at me.

I shrugged. “She’s got a point.”

“Ahhh, whatever!” She a finger at us. “You guys don’t understand a maiden’s heart at all!”

“Hey,” I protested. “We’re girls—I mean, maidens—too.”

“Yeah, but you’re also dense. So it doesn’t count.” She stuck her tongue out. “But anyway, if you see Waka, tell her I’m looking for her.”

“Sure thing,” I laughed. 

“Thanks!” Reika began to walk away. “She’s in for it now, that Waka!”

Iku-chan and I stared at the retreating figure for a moment. 

“Am I really that dense?”

Iku-chan nodded. “Yep.”