Making Plans

The Other Us

CHAPTER TWO

MAKING PLANS

 

Dokyun watches you with amusement. “I knew it was a good idea to bring you here.”

 

You look up from the tteokbokki plate. There aren’t many people gathered around the stall, so no one bothers you two. You have to snap out of the trance you were in as you ate, and for a few seconds you look like a lost puppy. This makes him chuckle.

 

“Here.” He reaches for a napkin, and gently wipes the spicy sauce from your cheeks. He looks at it with such fondness, though you’re not sure why. It’s just a napkin after all. “Can you believe it’s almost been 200 days?”

 

Your eyes widen, yet you know you have to play along lest he gets suspicious. Lucky for you, he continues talking:

 

“And it all started here, like this.”

 

Yes, you remember it now. It was raining, and even though you were soaking wet you managed to reach the stall. You ate to your heart’s content, and all you needed was a napkin. You asked the street vendor for one, but he didn’t listen―the rain was just too loud. And then he, the person next to you, gave you his napkin; and you two locked eyes, and that’s how you met.

 

“Right,” you mutter. It had only been less than 200 days ago. You smile as you remember something else. “You had that umbrella―”

 

He smiles too. “Because you’re too stubborn and hate carrying one.”

 

“Then, you walked me home. I invited you in…“

 

“…and I never left.”

 

So, that was your apartment. Alright, one more mystery solved.

 

You notice Dokyun staring at your mouth, and he notices that you noticed.

 

“Sorry, it’s just…you’ve still got sauce around your lips.”

 

Right. You know how this move goes. Hell, you’re an expert on this move. You lean in closer on purpose, batting your eyelashes.

“Mind helping me?” 

 

He doesn’t waste a second. His hand slides through your cheek, and he closes the distance between the two of you.

 

“Yah, these crazy kids.” 

 

You jump at the sound of the deep voice. Sihyoung rests a hand on your shoulders, and his other hand on Dokyun’s shoulder. 

 

“I can’t leave you alone for five minutes, can I?”

 

He inspects both of your faces, and lingers on yours. 

 

“You do know you have tteokbokki sauce on your lips, don’t you?”

 

. So, it wasn’t a move. 

 

“I was getting to it,” you explain.

 

“Yeah, I saw how you were “getting to it”, Sihyoung says as he tosses a napkin at you. While you wipe your moth, Sihyoung grabs a stool, and drags it between the two of you. Finally, he takes Dokyun’s unfinished plate.

 

“You two are really easy to find, you knew that? Very predictable,”  He says before taking a big bite.

 

“Should I get you a new one?” The street vendor asks him.

 

“No, I’m good,” Sihyoung replies with a smile. “Now, I’ll be honest. You two look cute together,” he starts before addressing Dokyun, “But I never see you alone anymore! No offence,” he finishes towards you.

 

“None taken,” you mutter. 

 

“How long it’s been?” Sihyoung asks, “A hundred?”

 

“A hundred-eighty,” Dokyun and yourself answer at the same time. You shot an endearing look at each other.

 

Sihyoung groans. “Seriously, you two.” He continues raiding the leftovers for a short while. “Oh! Wait a moment. We haven’t taken you with the whole group, have we?” He asks you.

 

Dokyun answers before you get the chance: “She knows everyone already.”

 

“Who said anything about meeting anyone? I’m talking about drinks! What are you doing tonight?”

 

You panic, and Dokyun can see it in your eyes. “We were just thinking of having an early night.” You nod in desperate agreement. 

 

Sihyoung groans. “You’ve had a hundred and eighty nights to yourselves and you’ll get one hundred more! What’s one night to spare, seriously?”

 

While he does have a point, hopefully, you’re still trying to process everything that’s been happening, so you definitely do not feel ready to add more pressure to that.

 

“We can do it tomorrow,” you interject. 

 

Both men stare at you in surprise. 

 

“Really? You’ll really go drinking with us,” Sihyoung confirms.

 

You look at Dokyun, and you know he’ll go for it if that’s what you want. 

 

“Really.”

 

“It’s settled, then!” Sihyoung leaves the empty plate on the counter. “You can’t get out of it now!” He warns the two of you. “I’ll let the rest know.” He flashes a cheesy yet excited smile. “I’ll leave now, then.” He waves goodbye, and you do the same. 

 

Dokyun and you breathe after Sihyoung leaves. Dokyun pays for the food. 

 

“Are you sure you want to do this? I don’t want you to feel pressured.”

 

He genuinely seems concerned about this, and the best you can do is comfort him. “He’s right,” you say, “Since we’ve been together for this long, I should make more of an effort to get to know all those that are important to you.” You finish with a smile, so you seem more confident.

 

It works. He returns the smile with a nod of his head.

 

“Okay. Should we take a walk before heading back?”

 

“Alright!”

 

You thank the vendor for the food. Dokyun wraps an arm around your shoulders, and you walk together; happy, comfortable with each other. Every second you spend, you expect the worst, but the more you seem to wait, the less likely it seems that this world would crash, and that only made the whole thing a lot scarier.

 

Dokyun kisses the top of your head.