Waking Up

The Other Us

CHAPTER ONE

WAKING UP

You wake up from a deep sleep.

Everything is blurry at first, but as your eyes settle you realise you’re in an apartment. You’ve never seen it before, and yet it feels oddly familiar. 

The TV is on. The volume is low, and you can’t understand the words.

You feel the need to stretch your neck, and that’s because your head had been resting on someone’s chest. You focus on keeping your breathing steady as your eyes move from the plain green T-shirt to the tanned neck to a face you most definitely know.

Now your breathing stops, because this is impossible, and it must be some kind of dream.

 

Dokyun feels your stare. You wonder what’s going to happen in the next three seconds when you lock eyes with him. Is he going to notice you? Is he going to be shocked as well? Will you wake up back in your bed? 

 

Finally, he looks at you, and it’s the warmest stare someone’s ever given you. He seems relaxed, and he even gives you a smile. 

 

“Hey,” he says softly, “How’d you sleep?”

 

You understand perfectly what he’s saying. How do you understand when you clearly remember not knowing how to speak Korean? You return the smile, afraid of opening your mouth and ruining the moment. 

 

He smiles wider. “Of course. You just woke up and I’m making you talk.” He clutches you closer to him with the arm that’s wrapped around your shoulders.  “Are you hungry?”

 

You shake your head. You don’t want food; you want to know what the hell is going on.

 

“Thirsty?”

 

You hesitate. Your throat does feel a little dry. 

 

“Should I go get us some iced coffee?”

 

His excitement makes you giggle and you kind of forget the strange situation you’re in. “Sure,” you say. 

 

Dokyun runs his fingers lightly through your back. Then, he leans in to give you a quick peck on your forehead. And just like that, he gets up from the couch, and disappears into the kitchen. 

 

You take this brief moment to sit upright, and assess your surroundings better. So far, everything looks and feels real. You’re a little afraid of blinking, because closing your eyes, no matter how briefly, could make it all go away. However, once you try it several times, everything stays the same. 

 

Could this be your new reality? Or have you just been asleep all this time?


 

You laugh at the TV. It didn’t take you long to realize you could understand every word perfectly, and it didn’t even take a lot of effort! Dokyun emerges with two glasses, and you gladly accept yours. He takes a seat right next to you, and once again wraps an arm around your shoulders.

 

“What should we do today?” He asks.

 

You take a sip of the refreshing drink. It feels so nice, and overall you’re starting to feel more comfortable in the apartment. “Actually, I am starting to get a little hungry.” 

 

You give him an apologetic stare, but he only laughs. “I knew it wouldn’t take you long.” He rubs your arm. “What do you want to eat?”

 

Somehow, you know the answer already. “Tteokbokki?”

 

He laughs again. “We’ve been eating that all week!” 

 

Have you? Well, of course you must have known each other for a while now, and in some weird way, you kind of remember that. 

 

He holds you tighter. “It’s fine! Let’s just live on tteokbokki for the rest of our lives.” 

That sounds very nice, actually. You could get used to a life of this. A life of Dokyun. You leave your glass on the coffee table, so you can hug him with all of your might. He hugs you back, and you both get the message. 

 

There are so many emotions inside of you that you can’t even begin to list them all. You’re happy, nervous, afraid; all at the same time. You just want to hold on forever before this moment slips away from your grasp. In fact, since everything could just vanish anyway, you decide to go all out. 

 

You start to pull away; your nose runs through his cheek. He looks into your eyes, and you look into his. It’s a mutual agreement. Both of you close your eyes, but it is you who takes control.

You’re the one that holds his face in place. You’re the one that leans in forward. Your lips are the ones that press softly against his. He has no other choice but to follow your lead. His mouth helplessly keeps in time with yours. 

This new sense of power thrills you so much that you just keep going, and your lips gradually move faster and faster.

 

Dokyun chuckles as he gently pushes you away. “Do you want to stay?” He asks, and it is a serious question. You know right then that he would agree to it if that’s what you wanted. And, God, do you want to say yes! However, something inside you tells you to calm down. Maybe this isn’t a dream, and maybe you’ll have enough time to enjoy with him. 

 

You shake your head. 

 

“Are you sure?”

 

You shake your head again.

 

Both of you laugh, and he pulls you in for another kiss that leaves you  completely breathless. He breaks the kiss again, and shuffles out of your grasp. 

 

“Come on.”

 

You take his hand, and follow him out of the room.