Roommates

Roommates
Please log in to read the full chapter

           Your alarm goes off without you even being in the bed yet. Again. You blink in confusion to realize that you pulled yet another all-nighter, empty coffee cups lying scattered all around you. You sigh and stretch your stiff body before standing up from your notes and making your way to the bathroom. Lazy yawn escapes your mouth as you wash yourself and prepare to go to school. You glance at the calendar on your table and sigh again. A very busy day lies ahead of you.

          “Morning, you -ah!” Namjoon greets you cheerfully with his characteristic dimpled smile as you walk into the class.
          “Good m-morning.” You say through another yawn before you start gulping down a fresh cup of coffee.
          “You know, that’s not healthy.” He says and points at the cup in your hand. You just give him tired smile and nod.
          “I know, I know.” You shrug your shoulders before speaking up again. “I just got too into it and it was morning before I knew it. I won’t do it again, I promise.”
          “Again?!” His voice is a mixture of worry and disbelief as he eyes you carefully before he rolls his eyes and sighs. “you, you do know that you have that dancing something with Hoseok today, right?”
          “Of course I know, who do you got me for?” You frown at him but avoid his stare. Truth was that you actually forgot to write it in your calendar and therefore he was right, you completely forgot about the dancing competition with Hobi that takes place later that day.
          “You forgot!” Namjoon exclaims his eyes wide in disbelief. “Hoseok will kill you if you don’t show up!”
          “Calm down, Joonie, please. You’re giving me a headache.” You say and pretend massage your temples to suppress the dull ache. “Of course I will show up, gosh.”
             Just when he opens his mouth to say something teacher walks into the class making him to go to sit at his table before the exam hell begins. When you see the exam sheet you stare at it blankly for a few seconds before you start writing down your answers.

 

               Four hours later you had three form your ten final exams done and you headed to dancing studio nearby with another cup of coffee in your hand; after all you couldn’t fall asleep during the dance competition. To be honest, you didn’t even know how did Hoseok make you to attend. There were plenty of much better dancers in his dancing major than you could ever be. But he didn’t want to hear about that. “They may have practice but you have passion, you actually feel the music.” That’s what he told you with eyes shining before he signed you up as his dancing partner. He did the choreo all by himself, it was hard at first, but you had to admit that you loved the result. The dance is aggressive and hot, you love it even if you don’t have much confidence about your dancing skills.
              “you-ah!” You hear him scream your name before he comes to you nearly jumping in excitement. “Are you ready? Oh my god, this will be awesome! I can’t wait! you-ah, how do you feel? Do you remember everything? Do you want to practice one more time? Is that a coffee in your hand?” His tone suddenly changes from excited to scolding. You avoid his eyes before drinking the rest of the bitter liquid.
              “you-ah… Did you even sleep tonight?”
              “I’m fine, I’ll sleep after the competition.” You give him an assuring grin. “And besides, Namjoon scolded me already, I won’t do it again, I promise. Okay?” You look at him with your best puppy eyes and he only sighs before shrugging and returning back to being hyped about the dancing event.
                It takes 5 dancers and dance groups and one more cup of coffee before it’s your turn. Hoseok tries to ignore the way you drink the coffee in one go and goes through the choreo with you one last time. And then you step on the dance floor and all your sleepiness seems to fade away. You can feel Hobi next to you with his wide smile plastered to his face and you smile as well. It’s the short moment before the music starts that your heart starts to beat fast, adrenaline and excitement flooding your body like a huge wave. And you love that feeling.
                When the music starts blasting from the speakers your body starts to move on its own. You don’t have to think about the choreo, you just feel it, enjoy it. It seems to you that the dance is too short when you’re suddenly doing the last most fierce part. And when the end comes the crowd goes crazy. Too bad that you can’t fully enjoy it - the moment you stop moving you immediately fall asleep.

 

               You wake up to your hungry stomach growling. You moan not wanting to open your eyes just yet. You curl into a fetal position and try to fall asleep once again but your stomach won’t let you. You growl back at it as you reluctantly open your eyes. You take a while to adjust to the dim light before you fully take in your surroundings. You scan the room quickly before realizing that you’re in Namjoon’s and Hoseok’s apartment. A tired yawn escapes your mouth as you lazily wiggle out from underneath the blankets and make your way to the bathroom.

               You are fully familiar with the apartment since the three of you spend a lot of time together in here; after all it’s no fun at your small dorm room. Everything seems very quiet and it makes you wonder if boys are even there but not long after this thought crosses your mind you hear Namjoon’s loud snore from the other room.

You wash yourself quickly before heading to kitchen to fix yourself something for breakfast. You go for cereals with milk and you shuffle through the cupboard only to huff when you don’t find what you’re looking for. You can’t start your day without nice strong coffee. How come they don’t have any?

               That’s when you hear someone shuffling to the kitchen with an audible yawn. Moments later Hoseok’s face appears in front of you and he smiles at you right away.

               “Morning, you-ah.” He greets you and ruffles your hair playfully. “Did you sleep well?”

               “Morning, Hoseok-ah.” You greet him but completely ignore his question. “Did you run out of coffee? I can’t find it.”

               “you-ah…” He sighs before answering. “You’re the only one from the three of us who drinks coffee. Besides it’s not good for your health. So we stopped buying it.”

               This leaves you perfectly speechless. You stare at your friend with mouth agape as you try to fully comprehend what that means. “B-but… But Hobi, I need it.”

               “You need to stop, you.” He says in all seriousness, his smile disappearing from his face at once. “Seriously, you fell asleep the moment we stopped dancing and slept for like 20 hours.”

               “Oh.” That’s all you manage. You can’t deny that you went a bit overboard this time. Putting all-nighters few times a week and drinking more coffee than water. “I’m sorry...” You mumble quietly pinning your eyes to the floor in embarrassment.

               “Aigoo, you-ah, come here.” Hobi says as he brings you to a hug. With his arms gently but tightly wrapped around you and your head against his chest you can feel his warmth and his heartbeat. It feels nice. So nice you catch yourself almost falling asleep once again.  It’s Namjoon’s hoarse voice that makes you open your eyes again.

               “Morning, you two.” He greets you as he makes his way to the refrigerator to grab some food. “Did you tell her already, Hoseok-ah?”

               “Tell me what?” You step away from Hobi to look up at him.

               “That we want you to move in.” He answers with a smile. “Wouldn’t it be great? I mean, you spend a lot of time here anyway, it would be nice.”

               “Move in?” You stare at him dumbfounded. “I don’t think it’s a good idea. What if one of you brings a girl? Or what if you have some other, uh, men needs? And what about me with my women problems? Besides aren’t there just two bedrooms? You’d have to share.”

               They both stare at you before they burst in laugh.

               “Are you serious now? What kind of reasons are those? Haha, I can’t believe it, you.” Namjoon laughs before approaching you and placing his hands on your shoulders. “You’re being ridiculous. We know each other for some time already. Men needs, women problems, whatever. And sharing bedroom with Hobi here? It’s not like we’re not used to it.” With that he gives you a reassuring smile and snakes his arm around Hoseok’s waist. You are speechless. You knew that they are self-proclaimed couple but you (and probably nobody else) never ever saw them show any sort of romantic affection towards each other.

      

Please log in to read the full chapter