Coming Back

Where We Belong


Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Queen Elizabeth Hospital ICU Room 61 Trauma Unit

 

The consistent beep of the heart monitor sends the team of nurses into a frantic run.

"He...he's waking up, mom. Yeol is coming back!" Yoora called out so loud until hurts. She couldn't believe what she's seeing. His eyes fluttered several times before fully opening them. He stares directly into space with tears rolling down the sides. He lets out a heavy breath, then followed by several more as if he has just finished an afternoon run. 

Take me with you. 
Come back with me. 
No, let's stay together. 
Never let me go. 
Don't leave me here.

Chanyeol closes his eyes once more. He can hear loud cries around him. Hurried voices ushering others out of the room "Please wait outside....we will do our best for your son...please ma'am...please wait outside." It was a chaos of voices and sounds around him. Machines beeping, footsteps of people running around his bed connecting tubes and equipments to his body and the clanking of metal instruments. He can even hear the rush of blood to his heart, to his mind and to his fingers and back.

Amid those voices and sounds there is that particular one which calls out to him. He seeks to concentrate on that voice. His sweet, mellow voice calling out to him. Again. 

"Chanyeol-ah..." the familiar breathy voice whispers into his right ear.  
"I am leaving now, Chanyeol-ah. I have to go now. I can't stay for much too long." 

And then the voice is gone. He is left with the beeping and the clanking sounds around him. His breaths turned into small sobs then into quiet cries. He clutches the white bed sheet with his heavy fists. 

Lies. He lied to me. He left me.