I Love You

A Simple "I Love You"

 

 

            The great clock in the main square rang two times telling everyone that it was two in the afternoon. He waked through the square with the box of chocolates that he had just bought. The said man was walking back to the college that he attended. This young man had just started his first year in college he was already situated in his room so he decided to go out and buy his lover some candy and by some he meant a lot around thirty dollars worth of expensive candy for a dearly loved person that he had known since his high school years.

            Once he passed the big iron gates of the college he entered the dormitories. He walked through the hall all the way to his shared room. He opened the door and saw non-other than Tony Spagoni sleeping on his side of the room on his own bed. Tony had been a dear friend of mine since high school. He entered mid way into high school new to England straight out of Italy. He sat on the side of his bed and leaned over the other about attempt to wake him up.

            “Tony, wake up it is almost time for our afternoon classes.” He said as he shook him slightly while sitting on the bed. He made a small whine sound in response to me.

            “I don’t want to…” He said as he pulled the covers over his head managing to cover his face. He chuckled softly seeing the other being so childish.

            “Come on Lazy bum. I bought you some candy come on.” He said knowing what the other was going to do. At the sound of the word “candy” tony sat up right with sleepy eyes and the funniest bed hair that was possible on a brunette Italian man. He stuck his bottom lip out slightly.

            “You need to stop buying me so much candy Lawrence… I’ll get cavities and as you know I am not well off financially.” He said taking the box of chocolates from the other hand.

            “Then I’ll pay for that too.” He said with a cheeky smile. Tony rolled his eyes at the other.

            “…ricco bastardo…” Lawrence chuckled in response to that and Tony smiled to himself. “…but thank you.” He said looking up at him with a sweet smile. The same smile that the other had fallen in love with. Yes, Tony was the person that he loved so even if they were both men they did not care. But, in order to make Lawrence’s father happy he had to pretend that he was something that he wasn’t. Sometimes Lawrence would often think to himself if he had a poor father no one would care what ual orientation he was. He often cursed to himself asking himself why his father was one of the richest men in the country. Tony on the other hand came from a humble and poor family where his father had died from tuberculosis. His mother was widowed with five small children when Tony was the age of ten, while Lawrence was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and a pocket full of gold.

 

~Three years Later~

 

Three years have passed and now both men were now in their senior year in college and their relationship had just gotten stronger through the years. Lawrence sees now that even if his father might be the most influential person in the country that should not be the reason why he can not love the person that he loves the most. Tony now is the one that works and sends money over for his family. He’s mother had grown too elderly and with four other mouths to feed, he felt that he needed to help her.

“Lawrence…” Tony said softly.

“What is it?” Lawrence asked softly while reading the book for one of his classes.

“Lawrence this check of one hundred twenty seven dollars was sent to me and it has your name on it…” He said looking at his dearest.

“Yeah I sent it to your back account” Lawrence to him seeing no problem with the action.

“Why?”

“Why what?” He countered.

“Why do you keep sending me money?” He said with a soft sad tone in his voice.

“Because I know you need it Honey.” Lawrence told him honestly.

“No I don’t!” He tried to convince the other.

“No, you don’t but the rest of your family does. Send it to them.” He told Tony. The other stayed quiet, knowing well that Lawrence was saying was truth. Tony walked around to the other and hugged him from behind, Lawrence not budging a bit as he sat in his chair.

“You’re too nice to me sometimes dear…” Lawrence heard the other whisper into his ear softly.

“It’s the most I can do for my dearest.” He said putting his book down as he leaned back on the chair, the others arms wrapping around his neck.

“Thank you…” Tony said getting comfortable where he was.

 

Those comfortable days would soon end as one day there was a knock on their shared room. Lawrence stood to get the door and opened the door to be confronted with a young beautiful lady at the door. She reeked of expensive perfume and wore designer clothes that were everything but humble.

“Are you Lawrence Exeter?” She asked as he looked the other up and down.

“Yes… And, I have the pleasure of meeting whom…?” He ask feeling slightly uncomfortable.

“Flossie Wentworth. It’s nice to meet you.” She said as she forced her way through the door way that Lawrence had been blocking and entered the room and sat down on one of the chairs like it was her palace. Law was confused.

“Excuse me, miss, but what bring you here?” She chewed the gum in vigorously as he asked this.

“Hun, I’m your wife to be.” She said swaying her hands around like she was some grand prize. Lawrence blinked various times and around the same time Tony had come out of the bathroom. He was confused by the situation, so he decided that it was best not to talk.

“Miss… I assure you that I am not your fiancée.” He said wanting to clear things up.

“Oh? Now tell that to your father dearie. Because I’m here to stay.” She said happily to herself as she continued to chew too loudly for his liking.

“Wait... My father?” Once he heard those words come out of the woman’s mouth, the English man knew what was going on. This wasn’t the first time this had happened and it was starting to get out of hand.

“Yep. He paid me money to be your fiancée. He said you were utterly hopeless!” She said looking at her red painted nails that matched the red dress she wore. Her gaze quickly caught Lawrence’s again and she smiled. “But, honestly speaking… you’re quite the catch aren’t you?” She said with her not so secret flirting. Lawrence sighed heavily and touched his forehead as he shook his head. The fifth. He thought to himself. This is the fifth one that he has sent here.
            “How much will it cost to get you out of here and have you leave me alone forever?” She looked up at me with a lot of interest in her eyes.

“That’s interesting… you know how long it took me to get here? And how long the train ride was?” She said crossing her arms on her chest. “Not to mention-!” She was going to continue but Lawrence cut her off.

“How about fifty thousand? You forget everything and never come back?” She tilted her head thinking.

“Okay.” She said with a rather sly smile.  You got yourself a deal, Mr. Exeter” Not giving the lady a chance to change her mind he quickly filled out the check and signed it. He motioned her to take it and she greedily took the paper check. As soon as she came, she was now long gone on her way. Law sighed heavily and sat on the chair. Tony came up to him and patted his shoulder.

“It’s okay Lawrence… you can get that money back.”

“Thanks, but that was the least of my worries… I need to go meet my father.” He told Tony as he stood up.

“Calm down Lawrence….” Tony said softly knowing that the other was upset.

“Tony… this is the fifth woman that has come here! That’s the final straw! I’ve had it!” He walked to the door and opened it. “….I’ll be back home late Tony, don’t wait up for me.” He said before leaving the room.

“Good luck…” Tony said softy, the other leaving before he could hear. He was a little scared for the other knowing how his father was, cold and distant for the most part. He sighed softly deciding not to think about it too much.

 

Lawrence walked through the cold streets of London. It was night time already and there was a chill in the air that made him shiver, but that only made him walk faster. He lived so close to the college but never bothered to return home even for the sake of his mother. He always gave excuses like, there was too much work or he had taken up another class. Really he loved his family but his father was a different story. He was always such a cold man, even towards to his own wife! He sighed once he got to the front gates of his family’s mansion. He walked in and closed the gates after him. He knocked on the door and the butler opened the door.

“Young Master Lawrence! Welcome home sir! What brings you here? You should have ringed so we could have had your driver go pick you up.” The butler said letting him in.

“Forgive me Henry but it is only a 15 minute walk…” He said at the thought of a huge coach going to pick him up at the university. “Where is my father? “He asked as Henry took his jacket.

“Up in the Master’s study. Would you like a cup of tea young master? I was just about to bring some to your father.  ” Lawrence shook his head.

“I won’t be staying long, Henry. The tea will just go to waste.” He told him as He walked up the stairs up to his father’s study. Lawrence did not even bother to knock the door and entered like a rude child.

“Father! I demand to know the reason! Why do you insist on sending women to my dormitory? A Fiancée? Father, have you gone mad?” He said in a loud tone frustrated with him.

“I just want my son to have a wife, is all.” He said hoarsely, coughing roughly right after.

“Father this is the fifth woman you have sent me. I have rejected all of them… please let me be father…” Lawrence pleaded with him.
            “Why?! so you can stay with that ?! Do you know how embarrassing it is to be the father of a homoual?!” He said hitting his desk. Lawrence froze up for a second. When did he find out? Lawrence asked himself.

            “Since when…”

            “Ever since the first fiancée Lawrence.” He answered.

            ‘How did you…”

“Eyes are always on you Lawrence, don’t you forget, one little screw up and the whole town knows about it.”

“Well, what if I’m happy the way I am father?!” He asked in a shaky tone.
            “Do it for your family… Marry a woman and give me grandchildren.” He asked his son. Lawrence became even angrier.

“Why must I be the one?! You have Louise! He might be young but that does not mean that he cannot have children! He is only five years my junior. Please… father I beg of you… let me be.” He pleaded with his father.

“You know… I don’t have that much time…” Lawrence swallowed hard hearing that leave his farther's mouth. He knew very well that his father’s health was deteriorating faster with each passing day.

“I know, father… but I can’t do it…” He said softly.

“You will get married and that is final!” He said finally losing his temper.

“I will do no such thing! The only person that I will be willing to marry will be Tony and that, father is final.” he said starting to take his leave.

“Don’t you dare leave! I’m still talking to you Lawrence!!” He screamed as Lawrence left. He saw the butler on his was out, with his coat already in hand. He thanked Henry and quickly left to the streets of London.

 

~The Next Day~

 

            “Lawrence!” He heard someone scream as he was shaken awake.

            “W-what? What is it Tony?” I asked in a calmer tone seeing Tony all worked up.

            “Y-your father…”

            “What about my father?”

            “When I was in town I heard some gossip about him being really sick in the hospital…”

            “What…?” He said in disbelief.

            “You need to go see him!” Lawrence quickly got his clothes on and rushed with Tony to the hospital. Once he got there he asked for his father and soon were allowed in. They ran all the way to the room that he was in. Once they had entered all they saw was his father resting on a white bed. The sound of his heavy breathing filled the air. Lawrence walked slowly towards his father.

            “Father…” He said softly once he was close enough. Lawrence took his father’s hand in his hoping to get a response.

            “Lawrence…” He said in a soft barely audible voice. “…I thought I wouldn’t see you anymore…” He said looking up at me with a hoarse voice.

            “Even if we have our differences I wouldn’t be so cold father…” he told him sitting near the bed being to be able to hold his hand.

            “Is that the person you love the most…?” He asked closing his eyes for a while before opening them once more. Lawrence nodded holding back a tear seeing his father like this was a sad sight for him even if he was unreasonable at times.

            “Yes, this is Tony.” He said looking up at his love.

            “Tell him to come closer…” He said as a harsh and hurtful sounding cough rang through the room shortly after. Tony did as told and walked up to Lawrence’s father.

            “Hello Sir… My name is Tony Spagoni. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” For the first time the father gave a warm smile. Lawrence forgot that smile long ago but know seeing his father like this made him even more hurt in the situation that he was in.

            “The pleasure is mine… I expect you to take care of Lawrence…” He said with a chuckle that soon lead to a harsh cough. Tony nodded agreeing to his final wishes.

            “I’ll make sure I do that s-sir” Tony said trying to fight off the pain that he felt in his throat from the sadness. He felt as if he was reliving the time that his own father had passed.

            “He seems nice Lawrence…” He said softly I nodded and chuckled.

            “Very, father.” There were a few moments of silence before father decided to break it.

            “Son…” He said with an even weaker tone.

            “Yes, Father?” I said listening attentively to my father wanting to hear what he had to say.

            “I wanted to tell you something…” He breathed out.

            “What is it?” He asked further.

            “Son… no matter the rude and mean things I have called you for loving Tony I still love you son…” His heart started to hurt at that moment.

            “…I love you too father…” Lawrence said chocking softly on a sob trying desperately not to cry.

            “Son… my time here is almost done…” He said the strength in his hand starting to get weaker as well. He took hold of it tighter scared to let him go.

            “F-Father…” He said sobbing softly.

            “D-don’t cry for me…” He said as Lawrence felt him slowly drift away from him.

            “Y-Yes F-Father…” He stuttered while sobbing softly.

            “Be… strong… Lawrence…” Those were his father’s last words. That day you were able to hear Lawrence’s cries of sadness throughout the hospital. It hurt his soul that he wasn’t able to see that his father had always loved him. A few days later would be his father’s burial.

           

 

            He started at the stone in the ground. It read “Lawrence Exeter Sr.” Lawrence looked down at his father with puffy red eyes. His hands where in his coat and he had a scarf around his neck. There was close to no emotions evident in his face but everyone knew what he was feeling. He and his mother had felt the strongest toward the loss of his father. He would stay outside for a long time just looking down at it. There was this one time that he spend a whole five hours just standing still and staring.

            “Honey…” He heard tony’s soft voice say behind him. “…that’s enough for today…” He said taking the others arms and pulling him away. “…He loved you…”

            “I wish I had known that from the start…”