Thirty Five

Lotto

“That was perfect ladies and gentlemen!” Reign cheered as they finished their first full run through. Well,almost full.

“I gotta admit that was pretty awesome.” Emily smiled.

“Pretty awesome? It was freaking fantastic, if Reign and Vivian weren't already signed, I'd say we start a group.” Kayden laughed.

“We would be a pretty bomb group wouldn't we? You can always audition for Bighit.”

“That's your thing Reign, we'll let you have your moment.” Emily said rolling her eyes at reign’s umpteeenth time trying to recruit them.

“Alright! So practice 5 pm Friday.” Reign said dismissing everyone.

“Reign.”

“Yes?” Reign asked, stopping her steps on the stage.

“What about the tournament? That starts friday.” Taemin asked.

“What tournament?”

“The girls volleyball tournament is friday.”

Kayden and Emily looked at each other. They had all forgot about the tournament. It was the whole reason they couldn't have full rehearsals, because the volleyball team was always practicing.

“I'm sure you can miss the first day.” Reign said, climbing down from the stage.

“I'm not missing their first day of games.” Nichyun spoke.

“And we already told Aubrey we were going.” Jinki motioned to the other Shinee members as well as Hoseok, and Vixx.

“It won't hurt you guys to miss one day. You'll still have all day Saturday plus the last game on Sunday. Besides it's not like Aubrey's playing.”

“But she's coaching. Shouldn't we go and support her? You should know how hard it's going to be on her to stand on the sidelines.” Hakyeon spoke up, disbelieving Reigns attitude towards such an important moment in Aubrey's life.

“What about me? What about all the hard work I'm putting into this concert? I'm trying to save something that benefits more than just me. It's just a stupid tournament, but for me this concert is everything. Go to the tournament if you want, but if you do, then forget about being in this concert. That goes for everyone.” Reign said, storming out of the auditorium.

After Reign’s dramatic exit, people in the auditorium just continued to look at each other.

“So what are we supposed to do now?” Kayden asked.

“She literally just asked us to pick between her and Aubrey. I hate to say this but I have to choose Reign.”

“Emily!” Jonghyun yelled.

“I don't have a choice. My grade depends on this. I can't afford to fail a class because I choose to support my friend. I have to put myself first on this.”

“I guess we'll have to tell Aubrey we aren't going….” Kayden said putting her head in her hands.

“Screw that! I'm going. Aubrey’s been my friend way longer than Reign. Besides who makes uncomfortable and choose between friends. I'm going to the tournament.”

“I'm with Taemin! Aubrey needs us too.” Hoseok said standing up, agreeing with Taemin.

“Of course dumb and dumber would want to go. This concert is more important than a tournament that happens every year. This is about keeping opportunity alive. We helping keep a program alive because sports like volleyball hide quality programs like music.”

“Wow Kihyun. We knew you were hurt ,but you have a girlfriend now. Quit playing the victim. Aubrey chose Kris not you, it's not something you can change.” Baekhyun said getting up from his seat and leaving.

“Girlfriend?” Kayden and Emily yelled at the same time.

“What a big mess this is…” Jaehwan said quietly as Taekwoon shook his head.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 

“That's it! I'm taking you to the doctor.”

“I'm fine.”

“Your burning up! And you can't keep anything down.”

“It's nothing some water and medicine can't cure.”

“I would feel better if the doctor checked you out.”

“I would feel better if I stopped having to visit hospitals. If I don't feel better tomorrow I'll go if it'll shut you up tonight, but I'd rather not go.”

“That would make me feel much better.” Yifan said with a weak smile, grabbing the medicine out the bathroom cabinet.

Yifan came back and helped Aubrey sit up enough to take her medicine.

“Maybe you should stay home tomorrow.” Yifan said causing Aubrey to choke on her water.

“Are you nuts?! The tournament is only a few days away, not to mention my exams are soon.”

“One day won't hurt you. When was the last time you relaxed? I mean actually relaxed.”

“Never mind…. I'm going to bed….” Aubrey said, pulling the blanket over herself.

“You're really stubborn, you know that?” Yifan spoke, turning off the light before exiting the bedroom.

Yifan walked down the hall to the kitchen and grabbed himself a bottle of water.

Drinking half the bottle before on his way to the living room when the doorbell sounded.

“Not again.” Yifan sighed.

 

*Ding dong*

 

*Ding dong*

 

*Ding dong*

 

“Aishh! Yah!!! Lee Taemin! How many nights will you stay here?!” Yifan yelled as he swung the front door open to reveal more than just Taemin.

“Hi hyung!” Taemin waved before sliding past Yifan.

“What are all of you doing here?” Yifan asked the people who were still standing outside giving his stares and glares.

“We came to talk to Aubrey.” Emily said pushing past Yifan, causing him to stumble slightly.

“Not so loud she's resting.” Yifan said, shutting the door after Hoseok.

“Is she still not feeling well?” Taemin said looking in the direction of Aubrey's bedroom.

Yifan nodded.

“How long has she not been feeling well?” Kayden asked taking a seat in the love seat.

“Yeah, and why didn't you say anything?” Emily asked with crossed arms.

“Maybe if you were a better friend you would have already known.”

“Excuse me?”

“She's been sick for 5 days now. Not once have you even checked to see how her day was going. Taemin has been here every night because he's worried about her. Hoseok and Taekwoon call either her or me to get updates. Not one call, not one text, not once did you drop by to check. Why do I have to reach out to you.”

“That's enough Yifan.” Jinki spoke aloud, causing silence to ripple around the room.

“What gives you the right to decide who knows what about Aubrey?” Kayden asked with obvious distaste.

Seeing the commotion wouldn't settle down soon, Taemin and Taekwoon both headed down the hall, knowing Aubrey would be only one to end the situation.

“I'm her husband, what other right do I need?”

“Fiancé. You're not her husband yet.” Sanghyuk spoke from his position on the wall.

“Yet. I will be. Look I'm not trying to have any problems with you all because you're all Aubrey's friends, but I think it's time you all acknowledge my position in her life.”

“Who do you think you are? God?” Emily scoffed. “You're nothing to me.”

“Then what about me?” Aubrey asked sleepily, leaning on Taemin as they walked forward, while Taekwoon trailed behind the two. “Do I not get the luxury of resting in quiet in my own home?”

Taemin carefully help Aubrey down onto an unoccupied seat on the couch.

“I'll go make you some tea. Or maybe soup?” Kibum spoke getting up from the couch.

“I'll help you.” Hoseok volunteered as he headed to the kitchen after Kibum.

“I know you all wouldn't have paid me a visit if you all didn't have something to say…” Aubrey spoke, motioning Yifan to come sit beside her.

Everyone's eyes shifted, looking person to person to see who would be the barer of bad news.

“You can just tell me.” Aubrey said, taking into account the solemn looks crossing everyone's face.

“Reign decided to have practice Friday. She said if we don't go we're out the concert.” Kayden finally spoke.

“Is that even something she can do?” Aubrey asked in disbelief.

“It's her concert, I'm sure she can do what she pleases.” Hakyeon said.

“Sorry Aubs. We really wanted to go.”

“Don't be sorry Em. I understand. Some of you have grades involved, while some have personal reasons for being in the concert. I'm not gonna get mad at you guys. It's not like I'm playing either, I'm just co-coaching and cheering the girls on.”

“Well I'm still going. Just because you aren't playing doesn't mean this isn't an important moment for you. You being so close to the court and not being able to play will be the hardest thing you will have gone through since your dad death.” Taemin spoke.

“We already made a promise to you that we would go. There are plenty of idols performing so we can just sit it out, besides, idols aren't the real stars for the night.” Minho spoke, agreeing with Taemin as the other members nodded their heads.

“You really don't have to. This concert is important to Reign. I don't want you guys to pick a side or feel bad for picking. I'm sorry that things have revolved around me for so long, but you guys should really be in her concert. She needs more support than I do.” Aubrey said before thanking Kibum and Hoseok when they set the soup in front of her.

“Will you really be okay?” Jaehwan asked, still feeling guilty.

“Stop worrying about me. I'm a big girl. I'm graduating. I'm getting married. I'm finally figuring out what I'm going to do with my life. I'm in this really good space and I just want the same for Reign. So if missing my non playing tournament then so be it.”

“You've grown up well Aubs.” Jonghyun said from his seat by Emily. “Taekwoon you've done a good job with her.”

“Yah! Who said he did anything?”

“You've got to admit you take after him. You're mean like him.” Hoseok spoke.

“She got into music because of him.” Emily joined.

“Didn't she start playing volleyball because Taekwoon used to play soccer?” Minho questioned.

“You like the female version of your brother.” Kayden said causing the room to burst out into laughter.

“I can't believe our little girl is all grown up and getting married.” Hakyeon cooed as he hooked onto Taekwoon, who pushed him off.

“What about you? Your lucky to be marrying her.” Wonshik said, giving off the over protective brother vibe.

“I really am. She a joy to have around, even when she's being stubborn. She cooks, she's mature, and she's involved. I didn't think she'd be so involved in planning the wedding. I swear every other day she's on the phone with our moms. She's kind of a bridezilla.”

“I am not!!” Aubrey said hitting Yifan in his shoulder. “I just want everything to be perfect. You only get married once. Well for the most part, and if I'm going to get married I want to be able to tell my kids that it was the best moment in my life.”

“Kids? Isn't it a little soon to be talking kids?” Yifan choked, taking a drink of Aubrey's tea.

“Kids do come after marriage, Yifan. Can't you guys already imagine a baby me running around? Dahee is going to way too cute.” Aubrey smiled.

“Dahee? You already have a name!?” Taemin yelled, not happy about the thought of Yifan and Aubrey having a child together.

“Of course. I'm thinking by August of next year.”

“So soon!?” The room, including Yifan, yelled.

“Why not? Who knows I could be pregnant now…”

Yifan’s eyes widen.

“Are you?”

“Of course not! What do you take me for? I have thing to accomplish before I bring a child into this world.”

Taekwoon breathed a sigh of relief hearing Aubrey's words.

“I think it's time we get someone to bed.” Yifan said pointing to Aubrey who yawned.

“It is late and you girls do have classes. We should all get going.” Wonshik spoke, getting up.

“Why don't you all just stay?! We have plenty of rooms and I know Taemin already planned on it.”

“We wouldn't want to impose on you both.”

“Emily, I know you don't like me, but you're Aubrey's best friend. Don't ever feel like you're imposing because you aren't. You guys go make yourselves comfortable, I'll lock up and clean up after I get her in bed.” Yifan said as he carried a half sleep Aubrey back to her room.

“You know he doesn't seem like such a bad guy.” Kayden said after Yifan left the room.

“I still don't trust him. The devil was once an angel.” Emily said, making her way to one of the empty bedrooms.