Chapter 1

Instant Daddy

"Ring, ring, ring!" I heard my phone ring, and I fished for the phone that was in my pocket. I glanced at the name of who was calling me, and to my astonishment, it was my son's teacher calling. I looked at my watch, and it was ten in the morning. Why would she be calling at this hour?

I answered the call with much worry and concern. "Hello, Ms. Ann," I said, trying to sound kept and calm. The school would never call unless there was an emergency or a sudden notice.

"Hello, Ms. Seo. Would you please come to the school as soon as possible?" I rushed to my son's preschool that was minutes away from our house. With a hurried pace, I arrived at the school almost immediately. I was greeted by my crying son who had his arms around my leg.

I looked at his teacher who was standing a few feet away from us with worry plastered on my face. "Hyunsoo got in a fight with his classmate. His classmate tore up his drawing, but they wouldn't say why," his teacher said.

I bent down to his level, and his face was streaming with tears and his cheeks are flushed red. "Hyunsoo," I said with quite stern tone to my voice, "Under no circumstances is fighting praised for."

"Ah, Ms. Seo," his teacher called for my attention, "please don't be mistaken. Your son is a good child," she said as she excused herself to attend to the students, leaving the two of us alone.

"I'm sorry, mommy," he sobbed as he wrapped his small arms around me and threw himself to me. 

"Andy said I had no daddy, but that isn't true," he cried and my heart ached for my child, "he drew crosses on my drawing of daddy."

I caressed his back, trying to soothe him, but even I was fighting back the tears that was threatening to fall.

"You said that he was on another planet, and he would come for me when he can," he said between sobs, and I nodded in agreement to his words. I'm sorry, son.

A tear fell from my eye, and I quickly wiped it, too afraid that my son would see. No, don't cry. You need to be strong for your son.

I faced my son, putting on a smile for him. "Do you want to get ice cream?" I pinched his cheek slightly, and his face instantly lit up. 

"Promise me then that you will apologize to Andy," I said, holding out my pinky finger to my son, he nodded with a huge grin on his face as he interlocked his finger to mine.

Hand by hand, my son and I went out of the school, and off we go to a grocery market that was nearby. I decided to take him out in order to boost his mood. Poor baby, I'm sorry that you're fatherless, and for all the lies I had to tell you.

"Mommy, are you sad?" I heard my son say with worry on his voice, and I gave him a small smile and shook my head in disagreement. 

"Then why is there a tear in your eye?" I laughed as I realized that I was crying. Way to go, Seohyun.

"Nothing like an ice cream can't fix," I gave his hand a small squeeze, assuring my son that everything's under control.

"Mommy, I know you're sad," he said and this time, he was the one who squeezed my hand, and I bent down to his level yet again. I couldn't help but giggle.

"Stop being sad," he cupped my face with his small hands, "or else daddy will be sad, too, and he'll send thunders from his planet!"

I smiled and nodded at his words. How long can I pretend to him that his father no longer have any care for us? How much longer can I pretend that we are still part of his life?