Eighth:Night

My Bloody Rose

So, I died and came back to life with VIXX's "Fantasy" MV. I seriously want to rave about it, because wow! These guys never fail to disappoint, and speaking of "point", they were all on point! omg Leo The MV totally kicked my , and I've seen some fancams already of the live performance, and just... If you haven't seen it yet, you've got to. Do it =D Anyways here's my boring story, I hope you enjoy xD

My new house mates had an interesting way of deciding who did what around the house. They ended up playing a game I was unfamiliar with involving palms up or palms down to elect the cleaning duty, and although they insisted I be exempt from the “punishment”, I made them agree to let me help whoever got stuck with the job of tidying up. The “losers” ended up being Taekwoon and Ravi, and so that evening found me in the kitchen with two werewolves wearing aprons.

They had a dishwasher, so it really wasn’t so bad. I basically brought everything over to them, Taekwoon pre-rinsed, and then Ravi loaded up the machine. There weren’t any leftovers, and I think that was due to both their wolfish appetites and Taekwoon’s amazing cooking skills.

Leaning my hip against the counter, I stared at Taekwoon’s back as he stood at the sink. I kind of wanted to talk to him privately, but I wasn’t going to be rude to Ravi—he was too nice. Waiting patiently, I let my eyes wander.

After a minute, I realized I’d started to stare at Taekwoon’s . Red-faced, I whipped my head to the side.

Ravi closed up the dishwasher and turned around, smiling warmly at me. “How are you feeling?”

I shrugged lightly, standing up straight now that there was focus on me. “I’m trying to go with the flow,” I admitted, smiling a little timidly. My eyes flicked over when Taekwoon moved, catching my attention, and I observed as he picked up a hand towel and started drying off. Like a pianist’s hands, his fingers were long and thin, elegant and beautiful. I recalled the grand piano in their living room and wondered if it was his to play.

Snapping me out of my reverie, Ravi reached over and clapped Taekwoon on the shoulder. “Well, we’re glad you were rescued by our very own super hero.” He continued to smile at Taekwoon, but chuckled nervously and slowly pulled away when Taekwoon turned to glare at him.

Finding their exchange endearing, I commented, “You guys are all so close. I would think you were all brothers, but you don’t look alike.”

Ravi grinned. “Well, we’re a pack, so we are pretty much brothers. We’ve been together for almost six years now.”

I hadn’t thought about it that way, but as soon as Ravi said it, I found it absolutely charming. Yeah, the six of them formed a pack, and it was obvious now how it was possible for them to be so good together. I’d read enough books to at least have an idea about what being a pack meant, and so I had a better notion of their bond now. I thought them to be extremely lucky to have each other.

Thinking about it, I tilted my head to the side, smiling curiously. “So is Taekwoon the alpha?”

Taekwoon shook his head mutely, crossing over to grab a glass from the cupboard to get water. Ravi smiled and chuckled a little, reaching up to scratch his head absently. “No, although that wouldn’t be too bad either. Hakyeon’s our alpha,” he clarified.

I was surprised but not. I could see it, since Hakyeon was even bossier than Taek—which was quite impressive—but Taekwoon seemed more… Well, dominant. It was really difficult to imagine Taekwoon taking orders.

Glancing briefly in Taekwoon’s direction, I spoke my mind. “Hakyeon seems like he’s capable of being a good leader, and I mean that, but…”

Ravi looked at Taekwoon too, but the quiet wolf-man was pretending we didn’t exist. I knew he was paying attention, though, because he could have left a long time ago if he’d wanted to. Deciding to keep on talking, Ravi went over to the kitchen’s breakfast nook and sat down on the wooden bench the small table had for seating.

“I know,” Ravi agreed, nodding and laughing with his own amusement. “Hakyeon’s more like a mother hen sometimes, but when it gets serious, he turns into a momma bear protecting her cubs.”

I couldn’t help it and started to laugh at his choice of words, and Taekwoon caved too, laughing soundlessly by the refrigerator. I grinned at Ravi, warming up to him even more. “Okay, that’s fair. He’s got a fierce side.” I had to keep my eyes on Ravi to stop myself from looking over at Taekwoon again. I noticed that I was depending too much on him, seeking him out when I was feeling uncertain. I was determined to quit acting like a ninny and asked some more questions because Ravi was definitely a well-informed dude with a will to share his knowledge. “How do you all know Jekyll? Is he that infamous?”

Taekwoon ruined my secret plan of independence by turning to stare at me. His eyes were hard to read, but I was able to discern his dislike for my question. I ended up acting like a ninny again, but this time because I ran away from Taekwoon’s gaze, refocusing on Ravi.

Ravi was visibly uncomfortable with the question too. Wondering if I hit a touchy subject, I regretted asking after all, but he still ventured forward to answer me out of kindness. “Jekyll’s a pretty notorious vampire. He’s even regarded as the ‘vampire among vampires’ due to the lengthy list of his life’s exploits.” He wet his lips with a quick flick of his tongue, and I noted the gesture was one of uneasiness; he began to wring his clasped hands unconsciously. My curiosity grew, but I held myself back and let him make the choice to either talk or not. In the end, he concluded, “He’s definitely known for being a very elusive individual, and for having quite unusual taste in regards to his victims.”

I tried not to let my feathers ruffle at the comment, but my self-esteem took a nosedive. Taekwoon realized sooner than Ravi did how his words sounded somewhat insulting, and he stepped over to smack Ravi upside the head.

Realizing his own folly, Ravi took the punishment and also held his hands up towards me in apology, looking like he wanted to jump into a hole somewhere. “I didn’t mean you. It wasn’t you, I didn’t mean that you’re unusual or gross—I’m sure you’re a really delicious and tasty girl—” He flinched when Taekwoon hit him again.

Embarrassed now too, I shook my head and smiled, trying to diffuse the situation. “It’s okay, don’t worry about it!” I laughed a little when I caught sight of Taekwoon’s expression, and then when I realized he was being a lot like a big brother to Ravi, I felt an unfamiliar twinge in my chest.

Taekwoon gave Ravi one last glare before resuming his post by the fridge.

Ravi continued to look really apologetic. “Really, I didn’t mean you. Really,” he stressed. “I was actually referring to Jekyll’s preference for his own kind, and for—” He looked down and away, noticeably upset. “He’s got a sweet tooth for wolves.”

I cringed and even shuddered, horrified by the revelation. I felt instantly filthy to know that I had been bitten by someone even more awful than I had thought him to be. If Jekyll’s magic was really coursing throughout my body like they’d told me, then I was by all definitions tainted. I kept my eyes on the floor, overwhelmed with chagrin.

“I think I should get to my room now,” I whispered, sensing some waterworks coming on. I wasn’t totally up for the idea of crying in front of them, not when I was already feeling guilty by association for Jekyll’s atrocities. I wasn’t brave enough to look at Taekwoon at all.

Ravi spoke up, and I could tell he’d come closer by the proximity of his voice. “I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. Are you still upset about the unusual taste thing? I swear it’s not you—”

I put on my best mask and laughed lightly, shaking my head. I looked up, but I didn’t dare meet his eyes. “Honestly, it’s okay. I’m just tired.” I shrugged. “I guess this whole transformation thing is kind of draining.”

An awkward silence seized the room. Chest burning, I kept my smile in place and started to back away, holding my hand up. “Thank you guys for everything. The food was absolutely delicious, and I promise I’m thinking of ways to make it up to you guys for all of your help.” I noticed that I sounded a little funny, and realized I’d already started crying despite my best efforts. Although I was ticked off at myself, I followed through and kept my smile on. “Please tell everyone else goodnight for me, and thank them for me too.” I made the mistake of looking at Taekwoon.

I proved to be Ninny of the Year; I turned around and bolted out of the kitchen, leaving behind a shell-shocked Ravi next to Taekwoon, the beautiful man’s gaze full of heart-melting compassion.

 

I hid in the bathroom to disguise my pitiful little sobs, allowing myself a small pity party to get it out of my system. I realized that it was going to take a lot more work to be an independent girl after all, despite all the practice I thought I’d had from raising myself after my mom’s absence. Now more than ever, I wish I had her with me; I needed her to wrap her arms around me and promise things would be okay.

 

I found out that I shouldn’t have packed so sparingly. I had a set of night clothes—a tank top and some cotton shorts—and a couple extra outfits, but I was going to need more of my “girly” things. I left my schoolwork in my room, which was stupid because I didn’t want to fall behind and because I needed something to do, and I forgot my favorite lavender lotion. It was too late now to go back, but I made the decision to go to the house the following morning.

The knocking sounded right after I was finished brushing my hair. I looked around my temporary room, making sure nothing weird was in sight, and paced over to open up, curious to see who was standing on the other side of the door. To my all-too-pleasant surprise, I found Taekwoon standing with his hands shoved in the pockets of his fresh sweatpants. I could smell the shower on him and I saw his hair was still damp; he was dressed all in black, much like me, except he was all about covering up with his dark pants and pullover sweatshirt. He looked over my shoulder into the room, and then locked eyes with me.

“Your eyes are red,” he murmured, his features fixed into a neutral expression.

Self-conscious, I raised my hand and touched the hollow beneath my left eye. “Sorry,” I breathed, looking down.

He was quiet. I was quiet. Crickets chirped.

After a minute, he asked, “Why are you apologizing?”

I shifted my weight from one leg to the other and shrugged. “I don’t know.”

More absence of sound. After another minute or so, Taekwoon commanded in that gentle voice of his, “Tell me why you’re suddenly so different.”

My gaze flew up then. Scrutinizing his gentle, striking face, I decided to rebel. “I don’t know what you mean. Other than the magical transformation, of course.” Noting my sulky tone, I bit my tongue.

Taekwoon’s eyes narrowed. I had succeeded in annoying him and pushing him away without even trying. “Don’t give into Jekyll,” he told me, his words laced with a warning.

I stared after him as he walked away, long legs eating up the distance between my bedroom’s door and the entryway to his own room. Which happened to be next to mine. I stepped back into the room and closed the door, leaving my hand on the smooth surface of the dark cherry wood. His words rang in my head loud and clear, so clear that I heard the warning in his voice again, and maybe a little bit of a threat.

 

“I know what you’re feeling better than anybody else, beautiful. I feel what you feel.”

His arms are so warm. I’ve never felt such peace before, not to this degree. I press myself closer to him, hiding my face in his chest. He smells like paradise, tantalizing my senses. We’re by ourselves at last, hidden away from the world, surrounded by red and white roses, the sky above us a deep shade of blue. There is no wind, there is no birdsong; it’s just him and me, caught up in paradise, my body nestled safely in his embrace.

“I can take away all that pain and replace it with pure bliss and ecstasy, and turn your chaos into beauty,” he promises, running his fingers through my hair with affection and care. He takes hold of my hand and brings it to his lips, kissing my skin intimately. He smiles at me, his beautiful face pleased. “Yeah, beautiful. This is the kind of ecstasy I’m promising you.” He lifts me to bring me up higher on his body, his long, dark coat falling open over a black silk shirt. It isn’t buttoned up all the way, and I can see the smooth skin of his chest. Right over his heart, there is a rose wound with thorns etched onto his skin. He makes me look at him, holding me with both hands now on either side of my face. “They don’t know what it’s like. They don’t know how it feels to be set aside and forced to watch everyone’s happiness from the outside. How can they possibly help you?”

I can’t answer, lost in his eyes. He holds me closer, his lips nearly brushing mine, my heart growing excited. He smiles and indulges me, pressing his lips sensually against mine, kissing me with reined passion. He leaves me breathless but I want more, yet he stops and cradles me against his chest instead. I can hear his own heart thundering beneath my ear.

“They can’t help you,” he tells me, and I notice a simple silver chain around his tempting neck. I lift my hand up to gently touch the cool, thin collar, and find a familiar pendant attached. “I understand you best, beautiful, because I’m right here with you. I’ve tasted your sorrow, and I’ve been drowning with you in your pain. I’ll be the one to keep you safe from everyone and everything.” I look up at him, forgetting about the pendant because I know he’s going to kiss me now.

He moves me gently, rolling so I am now underneath him. He smiles beatifically as he hovers over me, his hand sliding up my chest to cup my throat with long, sensual fingers. He leans down and brushes his lips against mine once, and then withdraws to stare into my eyes, his irises like liquid mercury. “You’ll be my sweet nightingale.” He moves his hand, sliding it around my throat to grip the back of my neck, and pulls me towards him, smiling lovingly. “You’ll be my beautiful bird in a cage.”

 

I sat up in the bed, its sheets and blanket pooling around my waist. Blinded by the darkness, I reached for the lamp on the bedside table and turned it on with shaking hands, looking around the room frantically. I couldn’t see him, but my lips and skin still tingled; I could still smell him, too.

I knew somehow that he hadn’t really been in the room with me, but I was still horrified because I wanted him to be.

I wanted Jekyll.