Evertree

Evertree

It was a dark, silent night when Jungkook first stumbled across the forest. As a fey of the Winter Court, and a prince at that, he didn’t have many chances to sneak out. His father had forbidden him from leaving the Court, and as Faerie was always changing, there was no saying as to how long the forest had been there for.

 
 

He looked left and right, making sure that no guard has been alerted to his absence, before quietly urging his steed forward. Ebony trotted lightly, the small sound lost in the serenity of the woods. Deeper and deeper into the forest he went, and Jungkook knew he should be afraid, and yet he wasn’t. And besides, he was a prince of the Winter Court, and faerie princes didn’t scare easily.

 

The trees on either side of him swayed gently in the night breeze, stars blinking cold and distant as they often are in the land under the hill. Plants and flowers grew on the edge of the path, where the beaten dirt ended and the foliage began. The flora was none that Jungkook has ever seen before, as they didn’t grow in the Winter Court, and this simple detail made him wonder just how far away from the palace he really was, and how much trouble he would be in when he returned. Somewhere in the back of his mind, a small voice warned Jungkook to turn back, to return before danger befell him.

 

But the young prince has never been good at following his subconsciousness. And anyway, the forest seemed devoid of any animals that might cause him harm, or other fey that might be inclined to capture him for ransom. Jungkook shifted the strap of his quiver, feeling the familiar weight of the bow slung across his back. The trees of the forest whispered amongst themselves, though whether that was a figment of his imagination or not, he couldn’t tell. Jungkook had lived his entire life in Faerie, and he was used to having illusions blending with reality.

 

His twilight-coloured horse halted abruptly at a clearing, pawing at the ground with her hooves as if she was unwilling to go any further. Jungkook lifted his head to see the reason for her sudden pause and gasped.

 

The treeline had stopped growing in a perfect circle, far too symmetrical to be natural; a fairy ring of a sort, a circlet made of trees rather than stone. Jungkook smirked to himself at the comparison. The canopy of leaves parted above his head, revealing the full moon. There, in the centre of the clearing, stood a massive tree, far greater than any other in the forest.

 

Its trunk was of bronze, branches spiraling silver, tipped with leaves of gold. Gemstones hung from the branches like fruit, shining diamonds and glistening emeralds and sparkling rubies. At its base knelt a dark-haired boy, seemingly caring for the flowers that grew along the roots of the tree. At his sudden arrival, the boy glanced up with a startled look, before relaxing once more to finish his task.

 

“Fair one, why are you here alone?” His voice was smooth and melodic, complementing his handsome face and further intriguing the Winter Prince.

 

“I could ask the same of you,” he replied, deliberately avoiding the question, as he pressed Ebony forwards until he too was by the tree. The boy stood up and brushed himself off.

 

“Tending to the moonlace. They only bloom during the full moon, do you know?” he explained, interestingly accepting his way of reply. The other faerie stared at him, and it was only then that Jungkook realized his eyes were not brown as he initially thought, but rather a dark orange, like dying embers or the setting sun. His heart skipped a beat at his intense gaze.

 

Stop that, Jungkook scolded himself. He did not believe in love at first sight, and anyway, he most definitely was not in love.

 

“I do know. I studied the nature of flowers back at the Court,” he managed to answer after composing himself.

 

“The Court…?” The boy took him in fully, taking in his attire, the arrows on his back, the sword sheathed by his side, and lastly his steed. He bowed deeply. “Prince Jungkook of the Winter Court. Forgive me, I did not realize it was you.”

 

He waved away his apology, interested in his identity more than anything else. “May I know of your name as well?”

 

The fey hesitated. “Seokjin,” he answered at last. “Of the Autumn Court.”

 

Jungkook dipped his head in acknowledgement. So the mysterious boy was royalty, too. He did have that air to him, the way he carried himself evident that he was brought up with manner and care. “How did you know of me?” he asked curiously.

 

Seokjin gave him an amused smile, tilting his head to one side as his dark hair shifted to a lighter brown. “The Winter Court often flaunts their princes, especially you, as you may take the throne one day. And you are just as lovely as they say you are.”

 

Jungkook flushed at the sudden compliment, ducking his head in embarrassment. Since he was also fey, unless he was of mixed descent, he couldn’t lie, and was therefore telling the truth in his courtesy. “Thank you, Prince Seokjin.”

 

“So, what brings the lovely princeling to this forest?” he inquired once again.

 

“I snuck away from Court,” he confessed. “I am not allowed to leave, you see, as Father fears that harm may fall upon me. But sometimes it just gets too suffocating, and I must get away.”

 

He nodded in understanding, then gestured at the tree. “This is the tombstone of my mother. She had always taken a liking to trees. My father buried her at the base of this tree, and named it Evertree, for even in death, she shall be forever beautiful. I tend to the moonlace at its base, every full moon.”

 

“I am sorry for your loss,” Jungkook said, bowing his head.

 

“Don’t be,” he shrugged. “What has gone has gone, and what will be gone will be gone. Such is the nature of things, and we can do nothing to change it. It just makes each life that much more precious, and each moment that much more beautiful.”

 

“Well said,” he mindlessly replied, though he was thinking about other things. For example, the fact that the faerie prince had said that he tended to the flowers each full moon. “So, you shall be here again?” he asked hopefully, not wanting to appear too eager. He didn’t even know why he had asked. Chances are, he would never meet him again, as Faerie Courts tried to not dabble in each other’s affairs.

 

“Of course.” Seokjin gave him a small smile, as if guessing his thoughts. “And I would like it very much if you could join me. It does get rather lonely.” He picked a flower, delicately snapping its stem and placing it in his shirt pocket. “Something to remember me by.”

 

Jungkook was at a loss for words, a rather disgraceful thing for a faerie to be. “I would love to,” he got out. Although he had no idea how he was going to get away from the Court, he knew he really would love to see the Autumn Prince again. “I’ll definitely come.”

 

He was suddenly dizzy, though whether from nerves or simply because of their proximity, he couldn’t tell. But the other gentry fey was leaning far too close for comfort, and he rapidly leaned away in an attempt to clear his head.

 

“Very well then, I shall be here at Evertree. And I will be waiting.”

 

Before he could react, Seokjin grinned and leaned in, pressing a chaste kiss to his lips. Jungkook barely had time to recover before the other faerie was on his way, disappearing into the forest. Long after he left, Jungkook could still feel the ghost of his lips against his, a warm feeling spreading despite him being of the Winter Court. Oh, he was definitely seeing him again.