sparks for the first time

sparks for the first time

 

It's only when he and Yuta are left alone at the dorm that Mark realizes he hasn't really thought this whole dating thing through.

Jungwoo and Taeil go shopping together, the manager is with his family, and Ten and Doyoung persuade Jaehyun go out to eat something since it’s the first free evening they have since the end of the promotions. Mark loves them but he decides he could use some time to himself. He isn't surprised that Yuta doesn't tag along either– he seemed tired recently, he probably needs the rest. Yuta hardly complains but Mark has seen him flinch in pain during practice. He can only wish there was anything he could do to help.

Normally Mark would spend the time writing lyrics, surfing the internet or just sleeping but now he's suddenly too aware of the fact that he and Yuta are going to be alone in the dorm.

Alone for the first time since two weeks ago, when he confessed his feelings to Yuta, in the dorm kitchen at 2am.

The mere thought makes him wince. He was the absolute opposite of smooth about it, rambling pointlessly until Yuta interrupted him and said something Mark never expected to hear.

If he were to be honest, his confession was meant to help him get over his feelings. He wanted them off his chest, and he wanted to make sure he wouldn't have any regrets. He knew Yuta wouldn't be an about it, and he made sure to tell Yuta not to worry about it, that things didn't have to change between them.

"I like you but you know, I'm fine just being friends, I'm totally not expecting anything it's just that, hyung, you're so beautiful you know? I guess I just wanted you to know–"

"I like you too," Yuta said, and laughed, his eyes twinkling. "But wow, Mark Lee, that was an awkward confession."

Needless to say, Mark was rendered speechless. For a few seconds, that is.

"You-you like me?" he asked stupidly and Yuta looked away, nodding his head with a smile and wait, was he flustered? Nakamoto Yuta flustered about Mark's mumbled mess of a confession?

No way.

"No ing way," he voiced his thoughts. "You can't be serious." He didn't even realize he switched to English until Yuta responded,

"I'm serious," also in English, with that adorable accent of his. He tilted his head, and continued in Korean, "So what do we do now?"

"Why haven't you told me?" Mark genuinely couldn't understand; Yuta wasn't the type to beat around the bush with anything.

"Because I knew you liked me too and I enjoyed seeing you suffer," Yuta replied immediately, a grin stretching his lips. Mark gaped at him and he was ready to buy it– it was Yuta, he could be evil sometimes– but then Yuta rolled his eyes and pushed at his arm playfully. "I thought I was obvious enough. I just didn’t want to pressure or anything. You’re still young, so…”

"I'm not that young," Mark protested then flinched, realizing saying that only made him sound even younger. "What I mean is. I've had, you know, dumb crushes. It's not like that now."

"Ah, so I'm the love of your life?" Yuta sounded amused.

"I'm not saying that! But I'm not not saying that. I mean, I'm just…" he groaned, rubbing his face.

"Your ears are all red," Yuta pointed out helpfully.

"I know, I can feel it."

Yuta laughed at that and suddenly all Mark could think about was how pretty Yuta was when he laughed, and that Yuta didn't reject his confession, and that Yuta liked him back and– and what was he going to do about it?

He still doesn’t know.

Back then Yuta just awkwardly hugged him and said they should go to sleep now and maybe go on a date once they have more time. And that was it. Things didn't change much, they're too busy these days to contemplate their relationship. There are small things, though. Like the way Yuta holds his hand sometimes, and smiles at him, like he knows just how that innocent gesture makes Mark feel. Or the way he rests his head on his shoulder in the van and plays with the fingers of his hands. It's not much more than the skinship they do with the others sometimes, and yet it feels very different. Like they share a secret and only the two of them know what those gestures mean. But are they dating? He has no idea.

And he is fine with that. It's comfortable, doesn't intimidate him like the whole idea of being in a relationship does. If he were to be honest, he was so focused on confessing he didn't think of what would happen afterwards. And dating Yuta, changing everything about the way they interact… It's just a little terrifying. He really likes Yuta, though, and he doesn't want to give up on it.

That's why he's so nervous now. Yuta will probably want to talk. Mark can't even focus on his SNS and he ends up staring blankly at his phone screen as Jaehyun searches through the mess in the dorm for something decent to wear.

"You worry too much," Yuta teases, "It's not a date, isn't it?"

"There's no way I'd date both Ten and Doyoung," Jaehyun replies, now rummaging through his underwear drawer. "I'd go crazy."

"But you'd date one of them?"

Jaehyun just snorts.

"We used to think you and Doyoung hyung were totally dating for real," Mark chimes in. It's good to focus on someone else's dating problems for a moment, even if they're made up. "The way you two act… like, seriously, you guys are a married couple."

"I'm not dating Doyoung," Jaehyun protests but there's no fire in his voice. He seems more concerned with finding a matching sock.

"Well, let us know if your relationship status changes," Yuta says with a grin.

It's not long before Jaehyun is gone and the two of them are left alone. Yuta is sitting in his bed, seems completely preoccupied with a manga he's been reading. Mark pretends to be preoccupied with his phone.

He could always go to the lower floor. It shouldn't be too hard to convince Donghyuck to stop playing games for a moment and keep Mark company instead. Or maybe he could help Taeyong cook dinner…

Or instead he could grow a pair and actually use the opportunity to spend time with his crush.

"So," Yuta speaks up abruptly, as if he can read Mark's mind, "wanna do anything fun?"

Mark swears all the blood in his body instantly rushes to his face. "Fun? Fun like... what kind of fun?"

Yuta puts the manga away and beams at him. "You promised to watch One Piece with me."

Oh. "One Piece?" he repeats dumbly. He did promise that, true. Yuta couldn't believe Mark was behind with the show. Mark explained he had little time and the number of episodes was discouraging. Yuta wasn't placated and he made Mark promise to watch it with him. "Right. Right, let's do that."

They decide to watch it in Yuta's bed, with Yuta's laptop in front of them. There's little space and Mark finds himself squeezed between Yuta and the wall but he doesn't really mind. Well, except it's a little distracting. Yuta is warm and he smells nice– really, really nice. Mark can't remember what cologne he uses and he wants to ask but he also doesn't want Yuta to know he's been smelling him. Because that's kind of creepy, right?

"He's so cool, isn't he?" Yuta comments as Zoro easily defeats the bad guys.

"Yeah, really cool," Mark agrees immediately, scolding himself mentally because he wasn't paying attention. "The swords. Awesome."

"Zoro was like my childhood hero. But now I think I might like Usopp the most."

"Usopp?"

"He seems not as cool as the others but… I dunno. He's so determined."

Mark smiles. "I think he's great too. But my favorite is Chopper."

"Chopper? Why?"

"Because he's cute?"

Yuta snorts and turns to give him an incredulous look. Mark meets his eyes, raising his eyebrows. "What?" he asks with a laugh. Yuta's expression softens.

"You're the one who's cute."

Surprisingly, the compliment doesn't make Mark feel awkward or embarrassed. Just… warm. It's not unlike their usual friendly banter, it feels comfortable.

"I can't possibly be as cute as Chopper."

"That's not for you to decide," Yuta replies with a playful glint in his eyes. Mark is for a moment captivated by the light reflecting in Yuta's earring and then he looks into Yuta's eyes again and finds himself thinking that Yuta is too pretty to be real– and then, somehow, he just leans in and kisses him.

He hears Yuta inhale sharply and then he kisses back with great enthusiasm, tilting his head, parting his lips. It feels good, so good that Mark can't believe he waited so long to do it. Yuta's scent, the warmth of his body pressed against his, his soft, eager lips, the small sound he makes when their tongues brush against each other…

When they break the kiss Yuta is flushed and out of breath and Mark thinks he must be the luckiest person on Earth to be able to see Yuta like this.

"I thought you were never going to do it."

Mark blinks, pulled out of his daze. Yuta wanted to, earlier? Then why didn't he–

"Why didn't you kiss me first?" he asks defensively.

Yuta opens his lips as if ready to answer but then he stops with a frown. Instead, he says, "Can we talk about it later? Right now, I'd rather kiss some more."

"Uh, but what about…" Mark glances at the laptop screen where Sanji is currently arguing with Zoro about something. Yuta just huffs and closes the lid in one swift movement. It makes Mark laugh and when Yuta pulls him in for another kiss their teeth clack against each other. Yuta chuckles against his lips and it takes a moment for them both to stop grinning. Their second kiss is chaste and sweet.

With great relief Mark realizes than them being together doesn't change that much. It's not awkward and it doesn't erase their friendship– it's just that now they share a little more.

Right now, the biggest problem is that Mark might never be able to catch up with One Piece.