Final

Cheer up, Baby!

Hey, how is it going? 1 and a month later I finally bring you my oneshot! Thanks for you people who subscribed and commented :D 
Also, before I'm hitting you with my newest oneshot, I'd like to invite you to a meanie group chat on line! My friend Risti also known here as gaybestfriend founded a group and would looove us meanie shippers to unite! (BTW you need to check out her fanfic all in because she more or less promised us a bonus at 1k subs and i need this bonus thanks ;D) Just tell me your line ID in the comments or as a private message or whatever :D

Anyway, here we go!

P.S.: When I thought about football team names I thought about animals and then I remembered how BTS' Jungkook was supposed to be named seagull and then I laughed a bit and chose them as the rivals because why not? 

 

Cheer up, Baby!

 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the basketball game between Pledis High and BigHit High! My name is-"

Mingyu bit his lip anxiously and played with the hem of his shirt. It was in a blue-ish grey colour with Pledis written all over it. He wondered why he even agreed to all of this in the first place.

FLASHBACK

"Mingyu!"

Mingyu turned around to look at the tall girl approaching him. He greeted her with a smile. 
"Hello, Nayoung. How are you doing?" He has only been in this school for a few months but Nayoung was in one of his classes and nice enough to befriend him immediately. She wore her cheerleader outfit and looked quite pretty in it, he had to admit.

"You said you are a dancer, right?" Mingyu let it slip that she hadn't answered to his question, it honestly looked like she was a bit stressed out and out of time right now.

"Uh, well - you know, not like professional or stuff, I just did some girl group covers because my friends forced me and somehow people liked it."
"Perfect! I need your help."
"Uhm, sorry, I don't know any girl group dan-"
"Not that, we already got the choreo covered."
"Wait, what - "we"?"
"You wouldn't do me that immense favour and join us in our cheerleader team, will you?" Her usual emotionless face changed into a pleading and desperate expression.

Mingyu looked at her weirdly. Him and cheerleading? Where did she get that crazy idea from suddenly?

"Please, it's urgent. The basketball game is coming soon but Yonghyun has injured himself yesterday. I swear, if he wouldn't be so cute-Anyway, we now have one guy less and you are the only person I can think of."
"I bet there are other guys that like to join you guys, though."
"Yonghyun is just out for a few weeks, he will be able to join us for the next game. We just need someone for this upcoming game in a few weeks, not necessarily someone for the whole year. It's too much of hazzle to find someone, anway. And since you have experience in dancing, you are perfect. Besides you are tall and handsome, that's a bonus."

Mingyu bit his lip and thought about it. He didn't feel confident in his dancing but his new friend asked him for a favour.

"Oh, and it's a great way to get to know more people, you know, our squad is really nice and welcoming! We also hang out with the basketball team sometimes. They are also friendly and cool."

In the few weeks he has been attending Pledis High, he made a few aquantainces and class friends but not really close mates so far. He was never shy or anything, he just seemed not to click well with his classmates. After all, they were already in their own little groups. Mingyu sighed. What arguments did he have left to say no? He would do his friend, his school actually, a favour and meet lots of new people. And a bit sport never hurts. 'Unless your name is Yonghyun apparently' he thought.

"Okay..."
"Awesome, let's go to practice then."
"Wait, what now?"
"Yes, of course."
"But, but, but I didn't bring any sports clothes with me- Hey, where are you taking me to - wow, I didn't know you were that strong - Ow, Nayoung, please stop dragging me that hard."

-

All the cheerleaders were nice, there was another guy named Inpyo who was very chill and he liked the squad, he secretly enjoyed it to be on the team as well, he felt a bit sad when he remembered that it was just temporary.

He was training with the cheerleader team when he suddenly heard lots of loud male voices from the other place of the hall.

"Oh, the guys are joining the hall today." Nayoung side eyed the incoming males. Yebin, the co-captain, groaned.  
"I swear if they throw another ball near us again, I will break someone of their players. Poor Yonghyun was so startled and hurt himself. Luckily, you could convince Mingyu." 

Mingyu felt better when he heard Yebin's words. She was a bit cold at the beginning but turned out to be a very warm person. He somehow felt appreciated.

"Hey, come on. Seungcheol apologized, he didn't mean to."
"Of course, you are protecting him although he hurt one of our members. From across the hall. In hundreds of meters distance."
"It was an accident."
"You are so whipped for him." Nayoung shrugged her shoulders. 
"Well, what can I say? He's hot."
"Too bad, his boyfriend would hunt you down with his guitar if you were to make a move on him." 

Nayoung laughed at Yebin's comment and nodded a bit. Mingyu wondered who Seungcheol was and why his boyfriend seemed to like hurting people with his guitar. 

"Oh, he's coming here." 
"Hey, girls, guys. Oh, a newbie!" The guy, he guessed it was Seungcheol, was dressed in his football gear and was currently smiling at him friendly. Mingyu felt attacked by Seungcheol's warm and nice smile. It was too perfect. 
"That's Mingyu. Mingyu, this is Seungcheol, the captain of the basketball team. Mingyu replaces Yonghyun after you were the reason why he knocked himself out."
"Oh, yeah, I'm still so sorry about that." Mingyu heard how Yebin snorted at that. Seungcheol turned towards her. "No, really, I am! So, as an apology, my team and I invite you guys later to get something to eat. Sounds good? Peace?"
He was mainly adressing Yebin because he knew that she was mad at him. Well, everyone could see the steam coming out of her ears.
The girl sighed and looked at Nayoung who agreed. Seungcheol blinded them with his smile again and left with a short "See you later!".

Yebin's sour expression didn't change much and Mingyu noted in his head to never tick her off. They went back to business soon after.

Training was hard and Nayoung merciless. That was probably the reason why their cheerleader team was known in the city for their perfect choreography. 

Mingyu wasn't doing as bad as he expected. He was able to remember the steps easily and the girls trusted his "nicely sculptured arms" enough so that he wouldn't let them fall. Right now, they were resting for a short break. Mingyu was sitting with some girls and listening to the latest gossip ("I heard Jihoon went after some dude with his guitar after he found out that he tried touching Seungcheol's !" "No way!") when he suddenly heard someone shout his name and the next moment he felt how something flew against his head. Luckily, it didn't hurt much and he turned around to find out that it was a basketball. He picked it up and intended to toss it to the guys when he saw that one of them was approaching him. And damn, that guy sure was good-looking. Mingyu stared at the guy with his mouth wide open. How hasn't he noticed him before in the last few weeks?

"I'm so sorry, I was supposed to catch the ball but failed. Are you hurt?"

Mingyu nearly started sobbing, what breautiful voice was he allowed to listen to?
Soon after that he realized that the handsome guy waited for an answer and Mingyu coughed a bit. Before he could answer Nayoung was standing next to him. From the corner of his eyes he could see some members holding back an agitated Yebin who was promising to find Jihoon's guitar. 

"Guys, really? This is the second time already. Please, stop attacking our guys!" 
"I'm sorry, Nayoung, really, you know we don't mean it!"

Nayoung sighed and turned towards Mingyu with a questioning and worried look.

"Oh-Oh. Ah yeah, no big deal. I'm okay. Barely felt anything." Mingyu laughed to ease the tension and thankfully Nayoung grinned a bit and sighed in relief. 

"Okay, tell Seungcheol you guys better treat us twice now." 
"Sure, of course. I'm really sorry again." 

Nayoung nodded and then turned around to Yebin to calm her down.

"By the way, I'm Wonwoo."

Mingyu knew he was supposed to say his name now but he was suddenly very starstruck again. 'His eyes are so captivating.'

Thank god, Nayoung saved him. 

"Mingyu!" He turned towards the captain. "Break's over."  

"Ah, yes. I'm coming!" He turned towards Wonwoo hastily and said bye.

Wonwoo glaze lingered a bit longer on the tall person. He chuckled a bit to himself. "Mingyu, mhm? Cute."

-

"So, Mingyu. Tell us more about you. I heard you are new in this school. Where are you from?"

Mingyu looked at the basketball captain that smiled at him kindly. Right now, he seemed like a warm big brother who genuinely seemed interested in him and it made him smile a bit. It wasn't hard to open up to Seungcheol. So he told him, and everyone that was sitting with them in the restaurant and was listening, about himself, where he was from, why he moved to Seoul, what he wanted to do. 
Sometimes, other basketball players asked him some questions and he answered them, feeling at ease. Nayoung sure didn't just sweet talk everyone when she said that they were welcoming and friendly.

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

Mingyu nervously scratched his neck and turned away from one of the players, Jun, to look at the table. 

"I don't- uh, swing that way."

He never hid the fact that he was gay, he was never embarassed of it and fortunately found support in his friends and family. There was no reason to hide his uality if it meant for him to know who would take him seriously and who wouldn't. 
He just found a nice bunch of people and didn't want to lose them immediately again but he also didn't want to hide himself this way.

"Oh," Mingyu felt how Jun came near his face and smirked handsomely. "A boyfriend maybe?"
The tall boy blinked a few times out of shock but shook his head no.
"Interested then?" Jun winked at him and Mingyu blushed. Before he could think of a decent answer, someone took Jun's shirt and pulled him back.
"Stop making him uncomfortable." Mingyu immediately knew that it was Wonwoo based on the low velvety voice. He mentally thanked him for saving him from a very embarassing situation.
"Sorry, man. I'm just messing with you. I'm taken, anyway. But I know someone who would be
very ver very int-Ow, goddamnit, Wonwoo." 

Thankfully one of the girls in his (Mingyu really liked to say his but he sadly reminded himself that he wasnt a permanent part) squad asked him a question. 

"You are pretty good at dancing, Nayoung just told us you have danced a bit before?"
"Me? Oh my god, you know that trend to cover girl group dances in an exaggerated and over the top manner? One of my friends thought it would look hilarious if we would dress up badly as girls and dance some girl group hits. He uploaded it on youtube and it was a hit somehow." He chuckled at the memories.
"Wait, so you can still find it on youtube?"

The girl took out her phone and Mingyu screeched very unmanly while trying to prevent her from looking him up. What if they saw how he once got his make-up done by his older sister and his hairy legs in her high heels? 
He tickled her a bit and grabbed her phone triumphantly. 

"Wow, those are hairy legs."

Mingyu whipped his head towards Nayoung who held her phone in her hand and all the other guys were surrounding her. An After School Song was blarring and he knew exactly what they were talking about. 

"N-Nayoung." He tried taking her phone but she was pretty fast.
"Nu-uh. You are one of us now and we share those little dirty..hairy secrets."

Mingyu hit his face on the table but still looked between his fingers at their expression. He caught Wonwoo's eyes and the boy smiled at him. Mingyu turned away but couldn't help smiling because of Wonwoo's pretty smile but also because of Nayoung's words. Because he felt like he belonged there.

Mingyu felt a hand on his shoulder and came back from his thoughts. 

"Hey, you did well while training, no need to stress too much." 

Mingyu nervously looked at the cheerleader captain. He really admired how she immediately knew how to calm down nervous members and made other people feel like they were welcome no matter what. Her encouraging smile helped to ease his nerves a bit. In the last few days she became one of his closest friends.

"I bet all the people will applaud us again for being such visuals." One girl on the team said.
"Visuals who can dance." Nayoung corrected while she put on some chapstick.

The announcer was talking about the arrival of the rival team,  BigHit's Seagulls, and their team, Pledis' Grizzly Bears. Mingyu laughed a bit at the introduction. "Usually sweet and cuddly but loud, wild and ready to fight when provoked", he wondered who thought that this would make them seem intimidating. 

"But before the game begins, we cannot forget the obligatory lucky charm kiss from our dearest cheerleaders to our players. Those lucky guys!"
"Lucky charm kiss - what?"

Mingyu looked confused at Nayoung who scratched her neck.
"Oops, I forgot to mention that before every game every cheerleader gives one player a kiss on the cheek. Good luck charm for the game you know. It's tradition in our school."
"Wait, does that mean- I didn't sign up for this!"
"Mingyu, please, just a small harmless kiss on a guy's cheek, we all know of that tradition, it is not seen as a big deal or something. You want your football team to win, right? And you know how nice all of them are. No one here will judge you or make fun of you. Please."

Nayoung looked at him so pleadingly. She was good, he had to admit. He sighed in defeat. She and her team has welcomed him so warmly after all and a tiny little kiss wouldn't hurt anyone, right?

Wrong, he realized when he lined up next to the others. By some coincidence he was face to face with Wonwoo. That goddamn good-looking guy who was the reason why his head was spinning a few days ago (for multiple reasons). He was going to give Wonwoo a cheek kiss and the mere thought made him blush already. He had developed a crush on the football player in the last few days and now he was having the chance to kiss his cheek. On Wonwoo's face. On his probably as soft as it looks like skin. Oh my god.

Nayoung put a chapstick into his hands. "Makes your lips especially soft." She winked at him and went to the front of the line. Mingyu applied a bit of it on his lips. At least it smelled and tasted good. Mingyu bit his lips and on them out of nervousity, not knowing how he made a certain player going crazy over him and his attractive lip bites.

Nayoung started first and kissed Seungcheol's cheek "because leaders!!". The line continued till it was his turn and he leaned forward to kiss his crush's cheek fleetingly. After the soft touch of his lips on Wonwoo's cheek he immediately bit his own lip to stop smiling. The people around them smiled knowingly at the red faces of both. 

"You are so red, Mingyu." Nayoung was suddenly standing next to him and grinned in a wicked way while her eyebrows were dancing.
"Didn't you say no one would make fun of me?"
"Ah, touché. Anway, get into position, guys. Better show the other cheerleaders that we will kick their scrawny untalented asses."

Mingyu quietly moved to his position but took one last glance at his favourite basket player only to realize that he has been staring at him as well. Both of them turned their eyes down but Mingyu couldn't help but smile a bit even though he already bit his lip. 

Nayoung saw the exchange and congratulated herself. She reminded herself to talk to Mingyu later and also to congratulate him on getting a permanent spot on the squad as well.


-

Hope you enjoyed it! 
(Also, support Boys24!)