Tiny Pup.

Tiny Pup.

Nayeon twirled her keys around her fingers, a melody playing on her lips emitting a bell like voice with an umbrella above her head sheltering her from the heavy rain. Jingling her keys and searching for the right one, she let out a happy “ah ha” when she finally found the key to her pet store, slotting the silver toothed tool straight into the keyhole as the lock jingled before the door clicked open.

The girl was about to head in when she heard extremely soft yapping from the corner of the doorstep. Frowning, Nayeon crouched down and realized that a tiny little pomeranian was abandoned right there on the steps in front of her pet shop. Judging from its size it was probably of a teacup breed and possibly the runt of its family.

 

The little puppy was trembling badly under the rain and its coat was soaked to the core as the little one whined continuously, rubbing its head against Nayeon’s right thigh for warmth. Her heart melted at the sight as she lifted the tiny puppy into her hands as gently as she could lifting the tiny one right in front of her face.

 

“Oh?”

 

Nayeon squinted and realized the puppy was wearing a dog tag on him that had a gold heart engraved with the name ‘Hunnie’ on it. A slip of paper was attached to the tag and even though the rain and smudged the writings on it quite badly, Nayeon could clearly see the words: too small, had to give the little runt up.

 

Hunnie whined and nuzzled in Nayeon’s hold, her index finger with his tiny tongue.

 

“Oh you’re so cute. Don’t worry I’ll take you in. You’ll be part of our family now.”

 

Nayeon headed back into her pet shop once again, this time with hunnie in tow. In her pet shop, she had a wide variety of animals for sale and all of them were well fed and well groomed. Nayeon had an extreme soft heart for animals after all and she wanted each of them to enjoy the best when finding a new home.

But she specifically had five little dogs that she never sold no matter how high a price anyone were to offer her. These dogs were her family.

 

Minsu is a German Shepard. He used to be a police dog before the police force decided he was too old to continue and had to retire. Nayeon kindly took him in when her police officer brother mentioned about the dog to her.

 

Chanhee is a Shiba Inu, rumoured to have traveled all the way from Japan. He was a stray that ended up in front of Nayeon’s pet shop begging for food. The girl initially intended to sell him away due to his beautiful coat but ends up getting attached to him and his slightly arrogant prince-like personality.

 

Niel is a golden retriever that Nayeon has had by her side since she was a 10. The boy was still a little puppy when she first got him and now he has grown quite a fair bit. But Niel was still the most cheerful and playful one around, just like how he was when Nayeon first got to know him.

 

Changhyun is a cream Chow Chow puppy, absolutely fluffy and extremely mischievious. He was one of the puppies that was brought back by the owner for damaging her entire sofa. Of course Changhyun looked extra guilty after that but Nayeon decided it was probably safer to keep him with her than to sell him away again.

 

Last but not least, Jonghyun is a Siberian Husky. His beauty definitely not losing out to Chanhee’s with a coat so shiny and sleek you could run your fingers through it all day. The puppy was to the more quiet side and is best friends with Changhyun the Chow Chow. Of course Nayeon couldn’t separate the two best friends so she ended up keeping Jonghyun by her side too.

 

And that was Nayeon’s little family that she wouldn’t exchange for anything else in the world. Today there would be a new addition to the family, Nayeon decided. She was going to keep Hunnie the teacup pomeranian. After all, it did seem like her current family could use one more family member.

 

“Minsu please bring me a towel.”

 

Minsu barked at her command before scattering off to grab a towel for his mother as Nayeon ran a warm bath for little Hunnie before carefully putting the puppy in and washing him in the tub. Hunnie yapped in excitement as he splashed around in the water, soaking himself.

 

Nayeon grinned at how the tiny one was enjoying himself, lifting him out of the bath and drying him up. Hunnie just looked on curiously at the various bath and grooming equipments that Nayeon had on the dressing table, poking the dryer that Nayeon had been blowing at him in awe with his tiny little paw.

 

Finally the girl secured a little ribbon collar around his neck with a bell attached to it so that he wouldn’t get lost around the pet store since he was really small and her store was pretty big.

 

Putting the puppy down onto the floor, she called for all her family members to gather as they curiously poked, prodded and sniffed Hunnie.

 

“This will be your new brother from today onwards, his name is Hunnie! I have to open the store now so I will leave you guys to bond.”

 

Hunnie happily basked in all the attention he has been receiving for the first time in his life, feeling extremely happy and blessed.

 

“Hi my name is Changhyun and I think we’re going to be best friends!” Changhyun cheered gleefully prancing around tiny Hunnie as Hunnie twirled around, trying to keep up with the Chow Chow.

 

“What about me?” Jonghyun suddenly pipes up, “I’m your best friend.”

 

“We can all be best friends alright.” Minsu sternly announces as all the dogs turned to him and nodded respectfully.

 

“That’s Jonghyun, and I’m Minsu. Welcome to our little family.” The German Shepard smiled warming, lifting his paw to offer Hunnie a pat on his head.

 

Hunnie tilted his head adorably at Minsu before limping over, falling in the process but still giggled and got right up.

 

Niel and Chanhee watched on intently at the newcomer, finally realizing that Hunnie was limping because one of his little paws was smaller than the rest resulting in the puppy being unable to balance properly. Was that why his original family didn’t want him?

 

Chanhee’s heart sank at that thought. Poor little puppy, he’s such a cute one at that.

 

“Hello! My name is Chanhee. As you can see I’m the prettiest one here.” Chanhee exclaimed proudly, his chest puffed up and Hunnie lifted his little front paw to touch it before giggling again.

 

“Whoa you’re really pretty.” Hunnie commented genuinely, his eyes sparkled as he looked up at the beautiful Shiba Inu.

 

“You’re pretty too Hunnie.” Niel pipes up before introducing himself.

“I’m Niel. I hope you like your new home.” He nuzzled Hunnie sincerely.

 

“I’m not pretty…” Hunnie suddenly had his head hung low, his energetic vibe leaving him.

“Omma and Appa didn’t want me. I’m different, I’m not like the rest.” He cried, covering his eyes with his tiny paws.

 

Chanhee’s strutted up to the tiny teacup puppy and nuzzled him, using his snout to lift Hunnie’s little head up.

 

“Hey hey hey, you’re pretty in your own ways. And guess what? I like you the way you are. I like how you’re unique.” He smiled sweetly at Hunnie who’s eyes lit up open hearing Chanhee’s compliment.

 

“Really?” Hunnie asked, wagging his tiny tail hard and fast excitedly like a little child.

 

“Yes really. And from now on, we’re your family. And we’ll never abandon you. Ever.”

 

The six dogs huddled together in the rainy morning, seeking warmth among each other.

Hunnie let out a blissful and satisfied sigh, he could finally have somewhere he could call home.

 

===

 

TLDR: Don’t ever abandon your pets!

 

I hope you guys like this really random and pointless drabble. I was constructing a new chapter for Lifeline when this came to me.

 

I’m contemplating on expanding this into a “adventures with puppy hunnie and his happy family” drabble collection, what do you guys think?

 

xoxo

byungtokki