1/1

Bitter Beverage

Before Kim Taehyung finds out about Jung Hoseok’s hatred  for coffee

 

Hoseok is the odd one out in his friend circle, and the deciding factor for it happens to be ‘coffee’. Unfortunately for his poor, poor soul, all of his friends voraciously consume the horrid, bitter, disgusting concoction called coffee. Hell, Hoseok isn’t sure if an addict craves heroin as much as Seokjin craves coffee.

 

Namjoon isn’t any better, much to his disappointment. In fact, if Namjoon is anything, he’s worse than Seokjin. Hoseok internally reaches that conclusion after he remembers Namjoon’s legendary song named coffee.

 

Very original for a title.

 

Hoseok doesn’t even see the point behind Namjoon’s obsession with coffee. Despite the fact the younger's grades clearly always say otherwise, Hoseok is convinced that Namjoon is an idiot. Like, who even thinks that comparing his girlfriend to a bitter, dark, tasteless beverage that smells like every burnt object ever is a good idea?

 

Kim Namjoon apparently.

 

Hoseok wonders how Namjoon and his girlfriend are still together. Right, she loves coffee too.

 

Jimin, his other friend, spends ninety percent of his time in the Starbucks situated in their region. He’s homesick as hell and the cute Busan boy with bunny tooth (Cough, Jungkook, cough) may be playing a big role in his motivation to pack up his assignments and head to Starbucks. But Jimin couldn't actually stay as the loyal customer for that long if he didn’t like coffee as well.   

 

Then there is Jungkook, aka the bunny toothed boy, who freaking works at Starbucks. The kid is the second most addicted to coffee after Seokjin, and second most poetic about all its constituents after Namjoon.

 

Last but not least, there’s Min Yoongi. He isn’t particularly fond of coffee like the other four, but he still drinks a fair amount of the beverage. Hoseok doesn’t particularly blame him (And that’s not because he has a thing for him even though he does) because Yoongi has a lot on his plate. He’s juggling two jobs, university classes and his underground as well as ground level production of music. This inevitably leads to sleep deprivation but, sadly, Yoongi can’t afford to sleep. That’s why he’s always equipped with coffee as dark as his eyebags.

 

So when for the umpteenth time that very week Hoseok gets dragged to Starbucks, he can’t help but be a little grumpy. He’s waiting outside after Yoongi has had the audacity to chuckle, pinch his cheeks and ruffle his hair (Maybe Yoongi is older but that bastard forgets that Hoseok is freaking taller and that automatically revokes his right to treat Hoseok like a kid. But Hoseok doesn't complain because any affectionate gesture from Yoongi is much appreciated) before telling him to just wait outside if he hates the aroma so much.

 

But when Yoongi doesn’t return, even after twenty minutes, Hoseok walks right inside the shop, grumbling about the smell. It’s not a busy hour so the place is quite free of people, and somehow while searching for his friend Hoseok ends up in front of a counter.

 

As expected, a barista in black t-shirt with green Starbucks apron worn over it is serving the customer standing in front of Hoseok. This coffee hating individual is currently engaged in turning his head left and right to catch sight of Yoongi, and almost misses the voice calling him out.

 

Almost.

 

“Good afternoon?”

 

The voice is deep, richer than the aroma of coffee ading the space and oh no, Hoseok did not just turn into Namjoon the third. He will never make that mistake, God help him.

 

So Hoseok tries to shove aside the thoughts of coffee and focuses on the individual in front of him, which happens to be a bigger mistake. The barista looks like he came right out of a movie- the kind of chick flick where the girl falls for a douchebag at first but then her best friend who happens to be the hottest guy in the planet swoops in and messes up the equation. Really makes you wonder what a hottie like that is doing in the friendzone, but well, who cares, right?

 

Right. He’s freaking gorgeous and Hoseok wants nothing other than having something to drink in order to get rid of the dryness in his throat. Hoseok will never admit it out loud, but if anyone offers him coffee at that moment he’s going to say yes.

 

“So, what can I get you on this fine afternoon?”

 

Hoseok swallows a lump in his throat and offers a smile, since the other is already flashing him a rectangular one. He wants to sue because he feels like the tube light he bought yesterday is nothing but a waste of energy.

 

“Uh… coffee...” Hoseok says dumbly, since he doesn’t remember the name of any type of coffee all of a sudden. Damn the hot barista.

 

Said hot barista smiles and says, his voice dropping low so no one else can hear, “How do you want it? As dark as your eyes, as sweet as your smile or as hot as your body?”

 

Hoseok is two seconds away from swooning, but he controls the urge to turn into Jimin and Jung Kook in a Big Bang concert and ends up mouthing ‘as dark my soul’ since he can’t just say he wants his coffee as sweet as his smile or as hot as his body or as dark as his eyes. And, hey, it serves as a pretty good comeback, right?

 

Hoseok doesn’t know whether he should be embarrassed or flattered, so he figures that he can be both since he’s an adept multitasker. The barista raises one eyebrow before turning around and gets to working on his coffee. Hoseok just stands there, awkwardly, not knowing what to do (Other than staring at the barista’s backside with a not-so-platonic intention) when said person suddenly turns around, “Oops, I almost forgot. Your name?”

 

Is the guy a secret agent or something?

 

The barista smiles tiredly and says, “So I can announce when your drink is ready.”

 

Hoseok meekly mumbles out his name and carries on with his quest of ‘finding Yoongi,’ wondering how he managed to embarrass himself in the short span of five minutes and in front of the most beautiful being walking the earth.

 

Well, damn coffee and its ominosity.

 

Hoseok can’t deny that he indeed was looking forward to the chance of getting close to the barista again, but when his name is being called out he realizes that he hasn’t prepared his heart. He strides over coolly nonetheless, to retain what’s left of his dignity and appear less lame to the cute guy.

 

That resolve breaks when he’s handed the coffee and takes a sip of it; out of sheer curiosity.

 

It is absolutely blood curdling and terrifyingly disgusting.

 

The repulsion must have shown on his face, since the barista throws a concerned look as he reaches out to lightly shake Hoseok’s shoulder, “Hey, man, you okay?”

 

Hoseok groans out, “No. No, I’m not.”

 

“Damn, I should’ve known a quad would be too much for you… now all of that will be going to waste,” the barista pouts adorably, but Hoseok is too much into suffering the impacts of the deathly drink to notice.

 

“A quad… what?”

 

“Four shots of dark roasted espresso. The flavor of this particular brand I used is too strong for the taste of most people.”

 

“Then why the hell would you even…”

 

The barista cuts him off, but not in a rude manner, “Well, since you managed to disregard my carefully crafted Hoseok-special pick up line, I assumed that your soul must have been pretty damn dark.”

 

Hoseok special pick up line? What the hell?

 

Hoseok just opts to pay but the boy shakes his head and tells him that it’s on the house. Hand wrapped around the cup of coffee he just bought (got for free), Hoseok walks out to find Yoongi waiting with ice cream in hand. Needless to say, Yoongi is extremely surprised when the younger extends the drink to him.

 


 

The second time Hoseok meets the cute barista is when yet another one of his friends drags him to Starbucks. Jimin is there to meet his temporary solution to homesickness, AKA Jeon Jungkook.

 

The bunny toothed boy isn’t working today, and it’s a scheduled meetup so Jimin can kill two  birds with one stone. He can discuss the upcoming assignment with Hoseok and meet Jungkook at the same time. Because Jimin is hoping to get a free drink they end up in Starbucks, much to Hoseok’s annoyance.

 

(You know that there’s actual food available in Starbucks, right? And that’s excluding the one cute barista you were talking about.

 

It smells like hell in there, Jiminnie.)

 

As luck would have it, when Hoseok arrives, neither Jimin nor Jungkook can be seen anywhere. He’s not about to wait because his stomach is rumbling, and hoping to order some actual food, that is not the cute barista, Hoseok walks up to the counter.

 

And there he is! The cute barista is smiling broadly at him, waving his hand so vigorously that Hoseok fears that it might get detached from its socket.

 

Hoseok offers the barista a smile, which seems to make the energized boy more hyper.

 

The cute barista (Hoseok really needs to learn his name) says as soon as he gets near him, “Before you say anything, I have a better pick up line today.”

 

“I like gravity too much,” Hoseok replies quickly, and the barista feigns disappointment with the pretty little pout on his face.

 

“You’re better at anti pickup lines than I’m better at coming up with them.”

 

Hoseok grins, “Well what do you expect from me? I am pretty great.”

 

“Don’t make me sulk, I’ll accidentally pour salt in your coffee,” the barista threatens.

 

I have a feeling it still won’t taste worse than what I drank last time, Hoseok thinks.

 

“What’s your name, by the way?” Hoseok wonders, and the barista grins.

 

“If the lack of pick up lines get me so far, I swear to leave that life behind,” he chuckles to himself before answering Hoseok, “But it’s Taehyung, Kim Taehyung. Anyway, if I stay around and chat my boss is going to kill me, even though there aren’t any customers I need to serve now. So let me take your order.”

 

Hoseok is just about to voice it out, but Taehyung cuts him off by holding a palm up.

 

“By the way, how does Yato sound for the name of a boy?”

 

Hoseok raises an eyebrow, “Are you having a nephew or son?”

 

“I don’t know, but answer me.”

 

“It sounds Japanese, but it’s okay I guess.”

 

Taehyung smiles broadly and winks, “So Hoseok, wanna make Yato?”

 

Hoseok has to blink twice at that. However, when five seconds passes and the customer is still oblivious, Taehyung begins to get a little bit impatient.

 

“You don’t get it?”

 

“Can’t say I do.”

 

“I asked if you wanted a Macchiato, all while utilizing my latest pick up line. You know what I’m saying. Make Yato. Macchiato,” Taehyung makes extravagant hand gestures as he says the last bit.

 

Hoseok has never cringed harder in life. He’s not always an optimistic person, most often tending to see the dark sides of things first, but he feels his optimism shoot high up in the air. The fact he’s optimistic about is simple: Taehyung is in dire need of a wingman and Hoseok never wanted to find an anti pickup line this badly.

 

 

Taehyung’s glowing face dims as he sees the other cringe, and he morosely turns around, ignoring Hoseok’s yell, “Hey, I didn’t even order anything.”

 

When his order arrives, Hoseok sees that Taehyung has served him a coffee drink that’s dark in color (Oh hell), but has a ridiculous amount of whipped cream heaped on top.

 

“What’s with this?”

 

Taehyung seems to be rejuvenated, since he instantly perks up, “This is called Vienna. A long black with plenty of whipped cream.”

 

“But…”

 

“Cause I’m sooo whipped for you,” Taehyung smiles and Hoseok openly facepalms before taking the drink and leaving for his table.

 

Needless to say, Hoseok doesn’t even try to drink it this time. He simply passes it to Jungkook when he arrives before Jimin.

 

After Kim Taehyung finds out about Jung Hoseok’s hatred  for coffee

 

Kim Taehyung is twenty two years old, a student and a part time Starbucks worker. He’s currently crushing hard on an ethereal being walking on the undeserving earth AKA Jung Hoseok.   

 

One other particular detail about Kim Taehyung is: he’s not pleased at the moment.

 

Another very important detail about Kim Taehyung is: he wants to kill Jimin.

 

Now, if not for the fact Taehyung knows his best friend is quite heteroual and the only other things that melt his heart other than s-line bodies are Jeon Jungkook and dancing, Taehyung would stride over right now and strangle the living daylight out of that shortie (he uses the word regardless of the knowledge that it's taboo).

 

Calm down, Kim Taehyung. It’s not that Jiminnie hasn’t tasted the espresso you made before.

 

But it downright hurts when he sees that the espresso he made so caringly for Jung Hoseok sliding down the throat of Park Jimin. Jimin will be having a grand time teasing Taehyung by either one of the following two sentences:

 

The drink was so good today, Tae-Tae. Too bad Hoshiki-Hyung doesn’t want to taste anything Taehyung involved, ranging from your coffee to the strawberry chapstick you bought yesterday.

 

Jimin is a erted little , and Taehyung is very lucky if his so called best friend keeps his teasing rated PG. But Taehyung can deal with that.

 

 

What he can’t deal with is the second potential teasing line of Park Jimin:

 

I did you a favor by drinking it. The other day Hoseok Hyung was saying he likes people who make good food, beverages included.

 

Oh no, that bastard is not entitled to insult his coffee making skills as well as his hopeless state of love. Taehyung will not stand for it.

 

So when Hoseok comes to pay for his drink, Taehyung says somewhat harshly, “Hyung! I know my pick up line today was stupid…”

 

Hoseok his head to the side (ily), “When did you ever manage to say a good pick up line?”

 

Taehyung knows he has the prerogative to get angry. But damn Jung Hoseok’s entire existence, the stupidly attractive face that can shame supermodels, the damn silky hair that’s a bit too black to be real, the cheekbones, the jawline and the…

 

You’re supposed to get mad here, Taehyung.

 

“Fine, maybe trying to express myself through Espresso wasn’t the best idea ever…”

 

“Understatement of the century,” Hoseok cuts him off. Rude.

 

“But you don’t need to always give Jiminnie the drinks I make for you… If you want me to stop trying to hit on you I will but what you do is downright hurtful.”

 

Hoseok sighs, things are getting difficult and he doesn’t like it.

 

“It’s not what you think. I just…”

 

Taehyung raises an eyebrow, “You just?”

 

“I just hate coffee.”

 

Taehyung never felt more unpleasantly astonished in his life. Jung Hoseok, the love of Taehyung’s life, hates coffee? What cruel trick is this, universe?

 

“You must be kidding me.”

 

“I’m not. I just come here because my friends drag me here, I hate coffee.” Hoseok shrugs and stuffs his hands into his pocket.

 

“Why? Why? Why would you hate coffee? It’s ambrosia for humans, why the hell would you hate a beverage so utterly delicious? Is justice so rare in this world?” Taehyung nearly yells in anguish, and Hoseok has to stifle a laughter at the younger boy’s melodramatic attitude.

 

“It’s just that it’s bitter and smells…”

 

“Shut up!”

 

“You asked why I hate…”

 

“That doesn’t mean you're allowed to badmouth coffee!”

 

“You’re being really contradictory right now,” Hoseok crosses his arm on his chest.

 

Taehyung doesn’t even hear him, “We. Need. To. Go. On. A. Coffee date! Meet me tomorrow at five pm.”

 

Hoseok blinks at the sudden outburst, and just to calm the guy down, he agrees. Or so he thinks it's just to calm Taehyung down.

 

 


 

Jimin is laughing his off.

 

Taehyung is waiting for him to finish laughing.

 

When Jimin finally does finish laughing, he wipes at a tear and points out the absolute obvious, “So you’re telling me, you finally heard that Hobi Hyung hates coffee, and in your outrage you accidentally asked him out. And he said yes?”

 

Taehyung nods.

 

“Wow, this must be fate. God knows that you’re too much of a chicken. That might be why Hoseok Hyung agreed to go on a date with you, he loves chicken.”

 

“But he hates coffee! Who hates coffee?”

 

Jimin is about to point out that a lot of people indeed do hate coffee, but he’s stopped by Taehyung’s jacket landing on his face. He removes the jacket that smells like Taehyung washed it with chocolate flavored deodorant and sees the other boy fumbling around.

 

For someone who accidentally asked their crush out, Taehyung sure is trying hard. Jimin suppresses his urge to laugh. Taehyung is just… Taehyung till the very end.

 

He’s just hoping Hoseok doesn’t start to throw up later that day.

 


 

 

For someone who hates coffee, Hoseok visits Starbucks a bit too frequently. The contributing factor may be a cute barista who insists on hitting on him every second he’s around, but by now, he’s used to the aroma.

 

He’s almost immune to the smell, in a sense.

 

One thing he isn’t immune to is the taste. And Taehyung has been making him taste it for the past half an hour.

 

He sighs as Taehyung sets another coffee drink in front of him. “What’s this?”

 

“Bitterness is your problem, right? This is caramel macchiato.”

 

Incredulously, Hoseok picks it up and takes a sip. He flinches.

 

Namjoon’s girlfriend should dump his ASAP, because caramel macchiato . He shakes his head to express his disapproval, and Taehyung simply tells him to keep drinking. Even Hoseok's famous puppy eyes don’t melt his cruel heart.

 

Soon enough, the bitter taste disappears and turns sweet, but Hoseok still hates it.

 

Next is white mocha, frappuccino, cappuccino and a bunch of other fancy drinks, and inevitably Hoseok hates them all. When Taehyung orders an affogato, Hoseok can’t help but remark what a waste of good vanilla ice cream it is.

 

Hoseok feels a little bad looking at Taehyung’s disappointed face, and he simply reaches forward to place his hand on top of the younger’s larger one.

 

“Hey, I’ll pay for all the drinks you bought me. I know being a student is hard so you don’t…”

 

“It’s not about the money, Hyung.”

 

For a moment Taehyung looks genuinely sad, and that disarms Hoseok.

 

“Then?”

 

“It’s just this weird fantasy I had, you know. Like, Jiminnie talks a lot, you know that, right?”

 

“Yeah, he does,” Hoseok readily agrees.

 

“So he used to talk a lot about you, and well, a lot means all the time. The things he said about you were so sweet that I was dying to meet you and when I finally did, I was on seventh heaven and said some pretty stupid stuff.”

 

Hoseok smiles teasingly, trying to ignore the butterflies in his stomach, “Pretty stupid?”

 

“Shut up, Hyung. So he skipped out on the part that you hate coffee, and I always thought you’d be like me, a major coffee enthusiast. I totally planned out what we would drink on our first date to when we’re eighty something and sitting on wheelchairs…”

 

“Holy crap that’s…”

 

“But all that’s ruined,” Taehyung’s shoulders slump, and Hoseok is about to say something soothing (Tactfully avoiding the confession that Taehyung wants to spend his whole life with a no good dance major like him) but the younger suddenly stands up.

 

“Let’s just go home.”

 

At that moment, Hoseok actually gets the scare that after they go home, Taehyung is never going to see him again and completely give up on him. But being the passive little he is, Hoseok doesn’t say anything, and nearly cries with relief when Taehyung says that home means his apartment.

 

“This is where you live?” Hoseok wrinkles his nose at the disarray the bedroom is in, and Taehyung nods.

 

“Me and Jiminnie,” stuffing all the clothes in Jimin’s closet, Taehyung says, “Wait here.”

 

Hoseok rebels and follows Taehyung in, who at once gets to making… coffee.

 

Seeing the older’s reluctance, the other boy smiles assuringly, “You don’t have to drink if you don’t want to.”

 

The rich aroma of stovetop coffee begins to fill the apartment, but for the first time, Hoseok doesn’t find it repulsive. It’s actually quite pleasant, he realizes.

 

Hoseok watches as Taehyung moves around the kitchen with amazing skills. Taehyung once told him that he’s disastrous when it comes to cooking, but he can make killer coffee and his actions are quite convincing. Not to mention, he works as a barista.

 

There’s some sort of strange grace in the way Taehyung makes the coffee, reaching for syrups and chocolates to mix with the beverage. Hoseok, being accustomed to relating the word grace with dancers, watches with amazement as the younger boy finishes making coffee for two with surprising focus.

 

Taehyung sets two mugs of coffee down on the kitchen table, taking the chair beside Hoseok instead of the one opposite to him. Hesitantly, Hoseok brings the mug to his lips, taking a slow, cautious sip so he doesn’t burn his tongue.

 

The taste hits his tongue like usual. The flavor is a bit too strong as always. However, it's not entirely unenjoyable. Whatever extra ingredient Taehyung put in complements the bitter taste of the coffee well with its sweetness. For the first time, coffee doesn’t smell like burnt objects.

 

Taehyung watches intently as he takes another sip, and when he doesn’t react the younger reaches out to take away his mug. Hoseok slaps the hand away.

 

“Don’t tell me you magically like coffee now, Hyung,” Taehyung rolls his eyes.

 

“I’m not a fan, but this isn’t bad,” Hoseok shrugs.

 

“You don’t have to…”

 

“Hey, maybe I only like it when you make it. Destiny, soulmates and all that , get it?” Hoseok smiles, turning his head to look at Taehyung.

 

Taehyung is unconvinced, and Hoseok simply finishes the whole mug of coffee contently before looking back at the younger. That should convince Kim Taehyung that Hoseok is being genuine.

 

Hoseok heart does a backflip when he sees the brilliant smile on Taehyung’s face, and before he can process what’s going on, Taehyung’s lips are on his.

 

Taehyung doesn’t even bother keeping it chaste, and soon enough, Hoseok tastes strawberry chapstick and more coffee. Hoseok smiles against Taehyung’s lips as Hoseok's hands wind up around his neck.

 

If this is what coffee tastes like, I freaking love it, Hoseok decides.

 

Taehyung pulls back almost in sync with the end of his thought, and the older furrows his eyebrows at the lack of warmth against him. Taehyung is blushing profusely, and Hoseok is almost concerned about how red his face is.

 

“I’m sorry! That was… uh, out of line… I mean…” The younger stutters, and Hoseok simply reaches forward to place a small peck on his lips before reaching for Taehyung’s mug of coffee.

 

He’s almost surprised when his hand is slapped away.

 

Almost.

 

“Just because I told you what my fantasies are doesn’t mean I’m sharing my coffee with you so soon into our relationship,” Taehyung sends him a hard glare.


Hoseok is almost disappointed, but he likes the sound of our relationship (Maybe enough for Hoseok to want them to be together for so long that they can drink coffee sitting on wheelchairs), so it’s okay. Maybe someday Taehyung will share his mug of coffee with him.


Word count: 4K

Comment and upvote if you liked it :)