Military Cut

Military Cut

 

Heechul stared at the mirror, leaning close and examining his spotless face. He was frowning, though there weren’t any flaws on his pretty face. His fingers came up to tug at the ends of his fluffy black hair.
 
Siwon’s face appeared in the mirror behind Heechul’s shoulder and strong arms wrapped around the older man’s skinny waist.
 
“What are you looking at?”
 
Heechul’s hand fell away and he leaned against his boyfriend’s solid chest. He stared at their reflection, seeing through the mop of black hair falling in his eyes while Siwon’s expressive gaze was focused only on the smaller man.
 
“I need to cut my hair.”
 
Siwon knew Heechul didn’t mean a trim, or a new style for a concept. His muscled arms tightened around Heechul, as if to keep him there forever. Siwon would, too—if he could. Having Heechul by his side 24/7 would make the younger man incredibly happy, though his boyfriend himself opposed the idea—much to Siwon’s displeasure.
 
Heechul was going into the army in a mere week, leaving for his training duties. Everyone knew it was coming, the fans, the other members, even other idols; it wasn’t a secret, though Heechul tried to ignore the fact as much as possible. If someone brought it up Heechul would mutter a reply and change the subject just as quickly.
 
Now it was cutting it close, and the older man couldn’t hide from the truth anymore.
 
“I want you to shave it off.”

 
They moved to the bathroom, Heechul sitting on the edge of the tub and Siwon behind him, brandishing scissors and an electric razor.
 
“Close your eyes, don’t look until it’s done.”
 
Short strands fell from Heehchul’s head, falling on the shower’s floor and on the older man’s clothes, which Siwon gracefully brushed away. Heechul’s eyes remained closed, even when Siwon moves the scissors to clip off his bangs. He could feel his boyfriends breath on his face, could practically see the look of concentration burrowing into those famous eyebrows.
 
It wasn’t long until the razor came out and the last of the choppy layers of Heechul’s black mane was shaved off, leaving only the faintest of buzz cuts behind. Siwon made sure it was all even, and Heechul visibly shuddered at the cool hands on his almost bald scalp. 
 
“It looks good,” Siwon reassured, and took his hyung’s hand, leading him to the bathroom’s mirror. “Open.”
 
After a long moment, Heechul did, squinting at the bright lights and finally focused on his reflection. He moved in a similar way as not twenty minuets ago, checking his face for marks and imperfections he wouldn’t find, and moving his hand over the hair that wasn’t there. 
 
Siwon waited to be yelled at, chastised for not doing a good job, but the older man just patted his taller dongsaeng on the shoulder. 
 
“Good job, horse. I’m a new man.”

 
“Ya, grab Heebum, I want the people closest to me in this picture.”
 
Siwon’s heart fluttered, even if Heechul did just put him on the same level as a cat. Heebum mewled indignantly when he was picked up and held by someone who wasn’t his owner, but over the months the feline had learned to be civil to Heechul’s lover.
 
“A picture for the fans. Be sure to hold Heebum with two hands!” 
 
“Okay, hyung. I got him.”
 
Heechul held up his phone, camera facing them, and tilted his head slightly. Siwon leaned forward, holding the cat in frame by Heechul’s extended arm. It was nearly impossible to control a cat to look at the camera, and Heechul seemed to know that by now, so when both of the humans were ready, he snapped the photo.
 
He turned the camera around and looked at the photo. “Well,” he said, saving it and directly uploading it to Twitter, “at least I look hot.”
 
“What about me, hyung?
 
“…”
 
“Hyung!”
 
“Oh shut up, shut up. A third of these comments will be about how hot you look.”
 
“What about the other thirds?” 
 
“It’ll be a mix of sad fan girls and comments about how cute my Heebummie is.”