Epilogue

Yes, I do

Looking at the bouquet of red roses on the coffee table next to her, her heart felt a sudden sense of nervousness. The tissue in her hand had been soaked with her cold sweat and had already filled up almost a bin at the corner of the dressing room.

Ga-in was left to wait in the room after having her hair set and dressed in a strapless modified A-line ivory silk wedding gown with medium length cascading Watteau train and a gathered tulle back detail.

Being alone brought back her memories of her first marriage with Seung-hyun.

Back then, they didn’t have so much money to even hold a wedding reception. They only held a small gathering of family members and close friends to announce their marriage. Still, they did manage to buy themselves a pair of beautiful and suitable clothes and dress for the day of their registration.

And that was what seemed to be the sweetest day she had in her life. It was never in her imagination that their marriage would fail. Their fairy-tale dream ended soon after the birth of Woo-bin where both of them always fought because of different decisions they made.

Now, after six years, she had once again dolled up and got ready to be the wife of the man called Mark Tuan Yi En.

Time flew by and now the reflection in the mirror had changed. The once young and innocent young girl had transformed into a beautiful lady and mother.

A knock on the door brought Ga-in back from her thoughts.

“My beautiful and cutest daughter, are you ready for your day?” Mr. Cho asked as soon as he stepped into the room.

“Woah, you look really pretty today Mother.” Woo-bin chipped in from behind.

Holding out her hands, Woo-bin understood the sign and went to her arms like an obedient child.

Checking out his appearance in black tuxedo, Ga-in couldn’t help but praise him for his looks. “You look handsome and smart too, Woo-bin. Just as your father when he was younger.”

“But, Mother you look prettier. Though I missed the chance to see Mom getting married to Daddy in beautiful dress but now I can witness it live!” exclaimed Woo-bin innocently.

He had gone through his parents wedding albums and he had always wished to be there to feel the excitement himself. And today, he wish would come true.

Ga-in smiled upon hearing Woo-bin’s cute and naïve thoughts. Though he might not know that she was in fact his real biological mother instead of Park Bom, but in getting his consent to be his godmother made a difference for her. It gave her a chance to be called Mother, not Aunty as it used to be as well as the chance to get close and watch him grow in front of her eyes.

It was half a year ago when Woo-bin was still having his treatment in the hospital that Mark suggested the idea of a godmother/godson relationship to her. “Ga-in, I’ll ask Lawyer Mr. Lee to drop the case as you wish. I know it’s hard for you but I think I have a solution to ease your pain.”

Ga-in looked at Mark feeling surprised. “What are you talking about, Mark? I couldn’t get your message. Listen, Mark, just drop the case and go back to where we should be. I don’t wish to get it into a complicated case. Most of all, I don’t wish to see Woo-bin get hurt in my fight.”

“Ga-in,” Mark went and got hold of her hands. “I promised you that I’ll give you a fairytale ending if you say yes to me, isn’t it? And my solution for your problem is to be Woo-bin’s godmother. In that way, you’ll get to hear him calling you Mother and be by his side until he is a grown up man.”

For a moment, Ga-in was speechless. He had always put her before himself and prepared everything for her. She was so touched by Mark’s care and attentiveness. “Thank you, Mark. Thank you for everything you have done. But, I’m fine as long as the case is dropped.”

“Ga-in, just give it a try or you’ll regret for not doing so.” Mark cajoled. He knew Ga-in’s feeling. She might say she didn’t care but deep in her heart she cared dearly.

When a hand was placed on her shoulder, Ga-in looked up to a smiling Mr. Cho. “It’s time, Ga-in.”

Having a final check on herself, Ga-in picked up the flower and crossed her arm in her father’s. Slowly the three of them walked to the wedding hall.

The moment the door was pulled open, heads turned towards their direction. And standing far at the end of the aisle was Mark in his white suit, good looking as he always. He smiled when his eyes met hers.

“Please take good care of my daughter.” Mr. Cho said as he passed Ga-in’s hand to Mark.

“I’ll, I promise.”

Memories of the next twenty minutes was blurry in Ga-in’s mind. No matter how hard she tried to remember the details, she couldn’t.

The only part that was still fresh in her mind was when she heard Mark saying ‘I Do’ and she herself saying ‘I Do’.

When the wedding bell was rung, everyone was in jovial mood. Woo-bin was thrilled to be able to carry out his flowerboy duty well, not to mention witnessing his Mother’s wedding from the beginning till the end.

On the other end, Seung-hyun was glad that Ga-in too had found her true love. He congratulated her and wished her well.

“And let's friends forever.” That was his last wish.

“Always, till eternity.” Ga-in replied.