The Kids of Busan

The Way We Used To Be

The feeling of home took all of Jimin’s stress away. He was finally back in Busan. It was the perfect day to be back home. The sky was clear and the weather was perfect, almost as if this perfect day had been waiting for him. He had taken a taxi from the Busan Train Station to his hometown. As the taxi passed by a couple of towns, Jimin saw countless posters, cutouts, and billboards of his very own group, BTS, which brought a sense of pride and happiness inside him.

BTS had been the number one, undefeated boy group in South Korea for a while now. Due to their extremely hectic activities for the past couple of years, the boys were granted a 6-month vacation by BigHit Ent., in which they were free to do whatever they wanted, under a couple of rules made by the company (but nothing too restrictive). Namjoon and Yoongi decided to continue experimenting and working on their music in their respective studios at the BigHit building, despite being on break. The workaholic duo would’ve been bored to death if they were not able to work on their music during the long break. Music was their life, anyway. Yoongi’s dreams of being a night radio DJ also came true. Jungkook would willingly sing the songs that his hyungs made just for fun. The Golden Maknae also often practiced and created awesome choreography with the dance genius, Hoseok. Both Jungkook and Hoseok would also appear on variety shows as guests sometimes. They were the only BTS members to do so. Jin had gotten his degree in business just a year ago and decided to help lead his family’s restaurant chain. Taehyung and Jimin decided to return to their university (as upcoming juniors) to get a degree. Whenever Jin, Taehyung, and Jimin had time, they would practice dancing and singing with Jungkook and Hoseok. Even though the members had become pretty well off and were more than able to afford living on their own, they still insisted on living together to keep the bond strong, especially during the long break.

Jimin was on his way home to surprise his family and spend time with them for a couple of days before university starts. Prior to his visit, he had tons of fun by himself during his free time. Maybe even too much. He finally arrived in front of his house. He had never been so happy to see the rusty gates of his house. He glanced over to the house next door and assumed that his old neighbors probably moved out. He hasn’t seen next door’s family in years. He thanked the taxi driver and gave him a tip. He then wore his backpack and started walking past the gates. He had packed lightly because he was eager to wear his old clothing that he left in his old room. His palms started to sweat. He was excited about how his family would react to his surprise visit. He took out his house keys and finally entered the house.

“Eomma? Appa? Jihyun? I’m home!” he called out, while taking off his shoes.

He walked over to the kitchen to see if anyone was there. He sees his mom wearing an apron, cooking lunch. He dropped his backpack and spread out his arms for a hug.

“Eomma! I'm finall-“

“YAH PARK JIMIN! How dare you show your face here?! You don’t have any shame!”

“Wh-what do you mean?!”

His mom started chasing him around the house with a spatula in her hand. Suddenly, Jihyun, Jimin’s younger brother, came out of his room.

“YAH JIHYUN! WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER?!” Jimin hid behind his younger brother.

“Hyung, did you not see the tabloids this morning? You’re all over the news websites. Netizens are going crazy over the articles.”

 “Well, yeah, Bangtan is always on there no matter what!”

“No, hyung! But this is about you, alone. Not the whole group.”

Jihyun shows the news app on his phone to Jimin.

 

Bangtan Sonyeondan’s Park Jimin Seen with Multiple Women in Just a Week!

Bangtan Sonyeondan’s Park Jimin: A Player?

Bangtan Sonyeondan’s Park Jimin Playing with Many Women’s Hearts

Park Jimin is Having Too Much Fun During Bangtan’s Break?

Bangtan Sonyeondan’s Park Jimin Seen Leaving a Bar in Hongdae with a Woman

Bangtan Sonyeondan’s Park Jimin Sleeping with A Lot of Women

Park Jimin is Bangtan’s Biggest Flirt?

 

Jimin’s eyes grew bigger and was surprised with the articles, although none of the articles had pictures for evidence. He ran to his room and locked the door before his mom could catch him. A couple of minutes later, Jihyun knocked on Jimin’s door to tell him that lunch was ready. He came out in his old clothes. Surprisingly, the family ate lunch peacefully but the atmosphere was very awkward and tensed.

“Where’s appa?” Jimin asked as he reached for a piece of meat.

“At work, obviously,” his mother answered coldly.

His mother glared at him the whole time he ate. A few minutes later, Jimin couldn’t stand the awkward atmosphere anymore.

“Ah, eomma! Okay okay! I’M SORRY!”

“So it’s true, huh?!” his mom stood up from her seat and started to pinch his ear. “WHEN WAS IT EVER OKAY TO PLAY WITH WOMEN?! I THOUGHT I RAISED YOU WELL!”

“OKAY! WAIT! STOP! LET ME EXPLAIN!” he complained. “Those articles were exaggerated! I did NOT sleep with ANY WOMEN!”

“Then what exactly happened?!”

“Well, as soon as the break started, I went to the bar a couple of times with a couple of BigHit staff… and yeah… I had a few drinks with some women JUST LIKE A NORMAL MAN IN HIS 20s WOULD. And I don’t know, they all just came to me and I couldn't do anything about it.”

Jihyun leaned in closer to Jimin. “Hyung, how many did you manage to make out with?”

Jimin whispered to his younger brother, “About 5 noonas in a week." They both started giggling and high fived each other.

“YOU SICK CHILDREN! JIHYUN, DON’T YOU COPY YOUR HYUNG OR ELSE!” she pointed at Jimin. “And as for YOU, Jimin. Get out of the house by tomorrow morning! I don’t want you here until you’ve stopped misbehaving! Don’t even show your face during the holidays!”

“Ah eomma! You’re being too much, seriously! I was just kidding! I didn’t even make out with anyone!” he scratched his head. “I’m sorry, okay?! I’m just tryna have fun!”

“I will NOT forgive you unless…”

“Unless what? I’ll do anything! Just let me stay here during the holidays!”

“You better do as I say! Go back to Seoul tomorrow morning and get ready to return to university next week."

Okay this woman is absolutely crazy, making me go back right away when I've come a long way... but fine... whatever floats her boat, Jimin thought.

"Oh, and another thing," she added. "I know a fine, young lady who will straighten your twisted ways. If you date her, you’ll definitely be a changed man. It would be good if you both stayed together for a long time and get married too.”

“Why are you talking about marriage all of a sudden?! I haven’t even started dating yet!”

“Oh well, you WILL very soon. I’ll set you up on a blind date with this young lady, so just DO AS I SAY because this is for your own good. I want my eldest son to be a changed man! So quickly leave tomorrow and don’t even show your face until you’ve changed your sick ways!”

_________________________________________________________

Unfortunately, Jimin's visit was a little shorter than he had expected and he had no choice but to listen to his mother, unless he wanted to be disowned by his family. On the train back to Seoul, Jimin called up Jin.

“Hyung, can you pick me up at the train station in about two hours?”

“You’re coming back already? I thought you were gonna stay in Busan for a couple of days?”

“There’s a bit of a problem. I kinda got kicked out of the house becau-“

“OH. WE know why.”

After the long train ride, Jimin had finally arrived in Seoul. Outside the train station, Jin pulled over the curb. Jimin opened the back door and entered the car. Jin was driving, while Hoseok was in the front seat.

“Yah, Jimin-ah. C'mere. Come closer." Hoseok twisted his body to face Jimin.

"Oh hyung? You missed me that much?" Jimin's eyes turned into slits and he smiled widely as he joked. "I was only gone for a day! Wow, so clingy!"

"You are an IDIOT.” Hoseok hit Jimin's head. "Only an IDIOT would get his name on the news like that."

“Ahh, I know, I know. But I SWEAR HYUNG. Those articles were exaggerated! I didn’t hook up with any women! Hell, I didn't even leave the bar with any of them. I just simply drank with them!”

"You sure there was no skinship?"

"No... maybe... maybe not... I think the noonas thought I was cute so they made me put my arm over them while we were drinking and dancing... but that's it."

“If the paparazzi caught that on camera, you’d be done, son.”

“Aigoo, Jimin-ah," Jin sighed and shook his head while making a turn. "Get your act together. Your mother called us up to tell us to stop you from going to those bars and clubs in Hongdae and to help you focus on your studies.”

“She’s treating me as if I’m a kid. She’s even setting me up with some girl, saying that she’ll help me straighten my twisted ways. Ahh, so annoying.”

“Just do it, man.” Hoseok said. “Or else you won’t be able to go home for the holidays. And maybe that girl really will straighten your twisted ways.”

“BUT THERE’S NOTHING EVEN WRONG WITH ME! I'M JUST A MAN IN HIS 20's, TRYING TO HAVE FUN.”

________________________________________________________

Hwang Saetbyeol and Seulgi walked out of the library with their faces filled with happiness. They’ve just been hired as librarians for the morning shift at Yuhwa University library. They walked out of the campus with their arms locked together.

“I’m so happy I get to work with you this upcoming semester!” Saetbyeol smiled widely and rested her head on Seulgi's shoulder.

“Me too!" replied Seulgi with excitement. "I really needed a job.”

“This calls for a celebration! Let’s get some lunch together at that new sushi place across the campus.”

“Byeol-ah, I can’t today. I’m super broke. I’m so sorry.”

“No problem! My treat!”

“Are you sure? You always buy me food, though. I feel so bad.”

“No, don’t. Really, I insist!”

“Ahh, one day. Just wait. When I have money, I’ll treat you out for some meat and a drink!”

Suddenly, Saetbyeol’s phone rang. “Ah, wait a second.” They unlocked their arms.

“Oh, eomma? Why did you call?”

“Ah, Saetbyeol, remember Mrs. Gong? The one who owns the local pharmacy store?”

“Yeah, what about Mrs. Gong?”

“Well, I found out that her son recently left Busan to expand their pharmacy stores in Seoul.”

“Uhmm okay?”

“And so I set up a blind date for you and Mrs. Gong’s son over the weekend. It’s the perfect time because it’s right before your semester starts!”

“Blind date?! Again?! I’ve already gone to three this whole month! Nothing ever worked out! I don’t even want to date, so can you please just stop this non-sense already? I’m so tired of it.”

“Byeol, I promise you this is the last time! He’s a good man! He’s the same age as you too! It’s at the Coffee Bean Café this Saturday at 2PM. You better go! Okay, bye! Take care!” her mother hung up.

“Aish!!!” Saetbyeol started stomping on the ground.

“Let me guess, blind date again?” Seulgi chuckled.

“Yes, sadly. But I swear, this is the last time. Blind dates don’t even work. It’s so stupid. I never end up liking any of the guys. I never even went on a second date with anyone. I just never was interested in dating.”

“I’ve always thought you dated back in high school.”

“Nope. Never had a boyfriend. Don’t need one.”

_________________________________________________________

Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook just came out of the BigHit building after checking out the new music that Namjoon and Yoongi were working on. As always, they thought their hyungs’ music was amazing. As soon as they exited the building, Seoul’s summer heat crept up on their skin. The maknae line hated the 99° F heat, so they decided to head to a nearby café to get some drinks to cool them off. They all ordered their favorite iced Americano. While looking for an open table in the café, Taehyung and Jimin discussed their upcoming return to their university.

“So, Tae, you ready for uni next week?” Jimin asked as he took a sip from his drink. He was still wearing his huge sunglasses inside the café just because he felt cool with them on, but Jungkook thought he looked absolutely ridiculous.

“Yup. I don’t know if we have the same classes, though. Let’s check later.”

They finally found a table all the way in the back of the café. As Taehyung and Jungkook were sitting down, something caught Jimin’s attention. He froze.

“Hyung, why aren’t you sitting down?” Jungkook asked while tugging Jimin’s shirt.

Jimin took off his sunglasses and slowly walked over to another table, completely ignoring Jungkook.

“What the hell is he doing?!” Taehyung said as both him and Jungkook watched Jimin walk over to a girl.

“Hyung, what do we do?!” Jungkook panicked.

“Stop him! Hurry!”

Jimin approached a girl who was talking to a guy sitting across from her.

“Hw-Hwang Saetbyeol?!”

The girl looked at him shockingly, but before she could respond Jungkook and Taehyung dragged him out of the café. The girl looked very confused but continued to talk to the guy.

“Yah, you can’t ruin that couple's date just like that! You’ve totally gone crazy!” Taehyung exclaimed.

“Yeah,” Jungkook agreed, “just because you think someone is attractive, doesn’t mean you can just go up to her and crash the date!”

“WHAT? YOU ES THOUGHT I WAS GONNA HIT ON THAT GIRL?!” He pulled out his arms from Taehyung and Jungkook’s grip.

“Were you… not?” Taehyung asked.

“Well, since you are the notorious player, Park Jimin, it did look like you were gonna hit on her.” Jungkook said.

“JUST SHUT UP, BOTH OF YOU." Jimin exploded. "THAT GIRL WAS MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR FROM BUSAN. I HAVEN’T SEEN HER IN YEARS."

“Oooohhhhh, your first love, ChimChim?” Taehyung teased and poked him.

“WHAT?! NO! Okay, ya’ll need to leave, seriously.”

“Geez! I was just curious!”

“Okay, whatever. It doesn’t matter anymore. Let’s just go back to the company building.”

________________________________________________________

“Mr. Gong Hyun Woo…” Saetbyeol scratched her head and sighed. She had been sitting in front of this man for about an hour now and both of them had absolutely nothing in common, besides having Busan as their hometown and being the same age.

“Just call me Hyun Woo,” the man smiled. He was an average looking man but quite tall and had a dimple on the right side of his face. He looked quite professional as well.

“Hyun Woo… how do I say this…”

“Ahh, I get it. This date is not working out, huh?” he chuckled. “It’s alright, don’t worry about it. This happens a lot. I’m actually tired of the blind dates that my mother sets up for me, and you probably are too.”

“Yeah… Thank you for understanding. I’m just not looking for anyone right now.”

“It’s fine.” He glanced over at his phone. “I’m sorry to be leaving first but I have a business meeting soon so I’ll be going now. It was nice meeting you.” He smiled, slightly bowed and took off.

As soon as he left the café, Saetbyeol sighed in relief. She could finally breathe now without having to worry about going on another date. Her mother had promised that this was the last one. Suddenly, she remembered the strange guy who randomly approached her during the date. Who was he? She tried to picture the guy’s face and recall his voice. Everything about him seemed so familiar… could it be him? Her next door neighbor back in Busan? The boy she grew up with? Park Jimin?

____________________________________________________

N/A: Hey guys! Finally, I've posted this first chapter ^^ It took longer than I expected lol I kind of had a writer's block since I haven't written fics in years. I definitely think it was easier for me to write back then... idek why haha... but I'm really excited with this one and I hope you enjoyed it~ Also, thanks to those first 5 subs! I had the motivation to post this because of you guys, so I'm giving this shout out! And for the new folks out there who read this or are planning to sub, thank you as well~ I'll make sure to work hard! Till next time ^^ 

- jeonss