Letting you go

Letting you go

My knees felt as if they disappeared under me. Wedding. 

"It's today, Yifan." Tao said, looking at the ground. Yifan looked around him for a moment.

"Thank you." Yifan said. He walked back into his house and went to his room. He pulled out his best white shirt and black pants. He put them on and pulled a comb through his hair. Then he got into his car. 

'I'm not going to ruin anything. I'll just make sure.' He thought. Then he drove off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wedding was being held by a lake. Many small, white tables were arranged around an aisle. Rose petals were strewn everywhere. Zheng Yixing were standing in a nearby house, looking in the mirror. He was wearing a white tuxedo. On his finger was a silver band with a small diamond in the middle, surrounded by even smaller rubies. Even though he had only had it for 5 months, it already felt like a part of him. Then he heard someone knock on the door. His mom walked through the door.

"Oh, my Xingxing." She whispered, tears already forming in her eyes. 

"Mom. Don't cry. If you cry, then I'll cry and I'll look horrible." Yixing said, hugging his mom and kissing her cheek. 

"I'm so proud of you my son. You have grown into a beautiful young man." Mrs. Zhang said.
"Mom." Yixing smiled, still hugging her. 

"We should get going. Your husband-to-be is waiting for you." She said. Yixing took her hand and followed her outside. And there he stood. 


He was dressed in a suit similar to Yixing's, but black. Yixing walked up to him and took his hand.

"You look amazing." Junmyeon said, taking Yixing's hand. 

"You look even better." Yixing said, smiling wider than he had ever thought possible. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ceremony began. Junmyeon and Yixing walked up the aisle arm in arm. The priest said something, but Yixing only remember himself saying 'I do', and then Junmyeon saying the same a few moments later. He remember kissing his now-husband. 

The reception started out great, with speeches, singing and dancing. But while everyone was having fun, Junmyeon stood up and beckoned for Yixing to follow him outside.

"Joonie? What's going on?" Yixing asked. 

"Someone came to see you. I'll give you a few minutes alone." Junmyeon said with a small smile playing on his lips as he gave Yixing a kiss on the cheek. Then he left.

"You look stunning, really." A voice sounded from behind him, and he turned. And he recognized him immediately. It was the same eyes he had stared into lovingly so many months ago. It was those lips he had kissed so passionately so long ago. It was that man he had called his. But that was ages ago.

"Yifan?" He asked. He didn't know whether to be happy or shocked.

"So? You got married." The taller man started. He had shown up, out of the blue, after everything that happened. 

"Yeah. I did." Yixing said, though not entirely unfriendly. 

"Are you happy?" Yifan asked. Yixing looked at him for a second.

"Yeah. Yeah, I am happy. Listen, if you are here to make me change my mind, it's not going to happen." Yixing said. Yifan smirked to himself.

"I know. I just needed to know that you were happy. When I left, I gave up ever claim I had ever had on you. That was one of the things that made leaving very difficult." Yifan said.

"Kris..." Yixing started. 

"I've really missed that name." Yifan cut in. 

"Kris, when you left, you broke my heart. But someone came and put it back together and helped me heal." Yixing said.

"Suho, right? He can make you happy. And that is everything I have ever wanted for you. Both when I was with you, and when I left." Yifan said. 

"Really? I know how hard it must have been for you to show up here, at my wedding." 

"I needed to see you again. Even if I know you will never be mine again. But if you're happy, I can live with that. You deserve to be the happiest person on this planet. And in the entire universe." Yifan said. Tears gathered in Yixing's eyes. 

"I think I'm ready to let you go." Yifan said. 

"Really?" Yixing asked, hope in his eyes, as well as sorrow. Sorrow over the future he could have had. But if he had had that future, he wouldn't have this one. 

"Yeah. But I have one final request. Can I have one last hug? Please?" Yifan asked. Without answering, Yixing put his arms around Yifan's neck and hugged him. Yifan gently hugged his waist, careful not to ruin the white suit. 

"Thank you. You should get back to your wedding." Yifan smiled. 

"You don't want to join us?" Yixing asked.

"No thanks. This night is for you and Junmyeon. I don't want to remind you of anything bad tonight." Yifan said.

"I understand. I should probably go back." Yixing said, smiling sadly. Truthfully, he had missed Yifan a lot these last few years. 

"Don't worry. I'll see you someday again. Be careful Lay." Yifan said, using Yixing's nickname. Yixing smiled. He turned his back to Yifan and counted backwards from 10. He knew what would happen when he reached 0, but he just couldn't help it. 

'10.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.0' Yixing counted in his head. Then he turned around. He hadn't expected Yifan to stand there. It had always been a way for them to say goodbye, without either having a chance of regret. Yixing looked up at the sky. It was the same sky as 1 minute ago. But it seemed different somehow. 

"Yixing. Are you coming back inside? You're going to catch a cold if you keep standing out here." Junmyeon said, snaking his arms around Yixing's waist. 

"Yes, let's go." Yixing said. 

"I love you." Junmyeon said, completely out of the blue. But Yixing had somehow expected it.

"I love you too." Yixing said. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few kilometers from there, Yifan was sitting in his car. Yes, he had left Yixing again. And yes, he might have lied about coming back, he wasn't quite sure if that was a good idea. But he had done it after assuring himself that Yixing had found happiness that wasn't dependent on him. And now, he can only look forward to the future. His luggage will always be with him, as will Zhang Yixing, but after tonight, it doesn't weighs much as it used to.

-----------------------
An: This is the first exo one-shot I have written. I have also written a chaptered story featuring Hunhan, if you want to check that out;)
I got the idea for this after likening to Taeyang's wedding dress, while not being able to figure out if I shipped Krislay or Sulay more. Please vote and subscribe. And comment while you're at it❤️