- f i n -

sweet haven's paradox
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Please don't forget to leave a comment and an upvote if you liked it. ♥

“What's meant to be will always find a way.”
― Trisha Yearwood

 

His eyes followed the figure of a young man whom he always sees in his sweet haven—the library. Wonwoo is not the type of person who likes snooping on anyone’s business, heck, his friends even tell him that he can be apathetic at times especially when he’s too engrossed in reading his book, as if he’s in his own little world. Wonwoo begs to differ since ‘little’ wouldn’t even be a good way to describe what he feels when he’s reading; he can say that he’s in an entire different universe when he does read, but he won’t tell them since they wouldn’t understand. They never understood. And he doesn’t understand how can his friends not like reading books? Well, he’s friends with them since he knew them since high school and sometimes, they help him come out of his shell (which they often state as ‘having fun’), but when it comes to his favorite hobby, they seem to have complete different views. He likes them nonetheless.

The young man who seem to capture the raven-haired’s attention whenever he comes only wanders around the library for an entire afternoon when the classes have already ended. Wonwoo is curious. No, he is intrigued. He wouldn’t be if it weren’t for that sad, longing look on his face whenever he saunters around.

Wonwoo wouldn’t care especially if he’s reading, but he can’t help but get distracted by him. He’s not being loud per se, quite the contrary, he’s actually quiet; he’s far too gentle to even bother anyone. It’s just Wonwoo who gets distracted by him. Wonwoo thinks that he’s too hyperaware when it comes to this man.

Not because of his looks, definitely not!

He glanced at him from the top of his book. Taking in how nice his hair color suits him, seeing those luscious lips which is set in a sad smile (Wonwoo wonders what it looks like to see him genuinely smile with happiness), the beautiful bridge of his nose, and oh those beautiful eyes which seem to sparkle without even trying. He is… beautiful.

Yes, definitely not because of his looks. 

 

He tries to convince himself.

He surreptitiously watched, trying to decipher this enigmatic man.

Will he ever get the chance to do so, though?

 

 

The following day, same time and same place, Wonwoo patiently waited for the man to appear again. He knows he would. He will.

Craning his neck every fifteen seconds to look at the entrance of the library behind him in order not to miss him; it’s hard to miss him with that pink hair of course.

Not before long, the man stepped into the library. Wonwoo jerked his head back towards his book, pretending to read but is actually listening to his steady footsteps. The man passed beside his table and he caught a waft of his scent—he’s wearing a cologne which is not too strong in Wonwoo’s opinion, and he thought that it’s mixed with the scent of his soap as well. It was subtle, subtle as him. Wonwoo liked it.

He looked at him from the top of his book again. He’s doing what he usually does again. He would often amble while touching the spine of the books, feeling each of its texture with his fingertips (Wonwoo wondered if they were either cold or warm). He always does it, but he never once withdrew a book from the shelf. This is the reason why he’s intrigued.

Why would somebody bother to go to the library if they wouldn’t even read a single piece from it?

Wonwoo wants to know. Will he ever know?

 

 

Going back to his room in the boys’ dormitory, he received a notice from the dorm manager that somebody would move in to his room. Wonwoo sighed heavily because he’d always hoped that nobody would longer move in to his room, there were a lot of rooms that are still available but he can’t actually complain since it wasn’t reserved for his own use only. He knew that somebody would move in with him eventually but he didn’t expect it to happen this soon. He only moved to the university’s dorm this year since he’s already on his 3rd year in college. He had to admit that things are starting to become hectic for him, and he doesn’t want to experience the inconvenience of traveling from home to university and vice versa anymore, it was fine during his 1st and 2nd year, but it’s different now. He sighed again, moving towards his bed to plop down. He should kiss his solitude goodbye because tomorrow morning, he has to deal with his soon-to-be roommate.

Wonwoo wished for that person to be as quiet as him, because he doesn’t know what he might do if that person ends up to be the likes of Soonyoung or Seokmin. He needs his peace and quiet definitely. He only wants to read. Wonwoo drifted off to dreamland thinking of these things. He was again met by the man from the library in his dreams. Wonwoo can’t remember how many times he’d seen him in his dreams already, but what he knows is that he started appearing ever since he first saw him in his haven.

 

 

Wonwoo woke up when he heard someone knocking at his door, he immediately looked at his window and found that it’s already morning because the light is seeping through the window blinds. Wonwoo sat up groggily before yawning, he counted for ten seconds in order to collect himself. He can still hear the insistent knocks from his door,

Wonwoo’s sure that the one who’s knocking outside has to be the dorm manager, he can tell because of the heavy knocking with that particular beat he usually hears whenever he needs to say something. Well, it’s also a dead giveaway when he heard him say “Mr. Jeon, please open this door right now because your new roommate is already here.” And he swore he heard him mutter to someone “I’m sorry if you’ve been waiting for fifteen minutes already, he’s a sleepy-head and he’s known as a sloth, that’s why I wish you luck.”

Wonwoo stretched his limbs before standing up, moving towards the door to open it. He heard his new roommate say “it’s fine” to the dorm manager, and Wonwoo concluded that this guy wouldn’t be that bad at all because he’s soft-spoken and very polite. He thanked the heavens for that. Unlocking the door, he was met by their dorm manager with a frown on his face “about time you open this door. It’s really embarrassing for you to make Mr. Hong here wait.”

Wonwoo muttered an apology to their dorm manager before facing his new roommate, but when his eyes landed on the latter’s face, he could’ve said that time stood still. Wonwoo froze on his spot, mouth partly open for his words were caught in his tongue. He blinked several times in order to confirm that he’s not dreaming.

Seeing Wonwoo’s state of confoundment, the man extended his hand to introduce himself.

“I’m Joshua Hong, but you can call me Jisoo. Nice to meet you Mr. Jeon…?”

At this, Wonwoo finally found his ability to speak again. Taking Jisoo’s proffered hand

“Wonwoo. Jeon Wonwoo. Nice to meet you too.”

Jisoo smiled warmly, but it still didn’t reach his eyes. Nonetheless, it was still a sight to behold.

Wonwoo smiled back.

 

 

“So, what do you do?” Wonwoo asked nonchalantly

Jisoo looked up from his boxes, “ummm… I’m a Music Major. You?” He replied quietly, immediately looking down at his boxes again. He’s arranging his stuff in their shared room. Jisoo took the left side of their room while Wonwoo stayed on his original side.

“I am a Literature Major.” He stated

When Jisoo heard that, his movements halted for a moment but he continued immediately, acting coolly as if nothing went wrong. But Wonwoo noticed it, and he’s more intrigued now. Finally, “the chance already presented itself” Wonwoo thought.

 

 

Wonwoo found out that Jisoo is really good at playing the guitar, Wonwoo knows how to play the guitar as well but he can say that his skill level matches only those of the beginners. Wonwoo really wants to get to know Jisoo well because let’s just say, he has a crush on him. If the dreams and secret glances he threw at him weren’t enough proof of it, then he doesn’t know what is. And he wants to get to the bottom of everything, where everything started. He wants to ask if Jisoo likes to read because he’s sure that if he said yes, Wonwoo will not hesitate to ask

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter