Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday!

You enter your apartment once you unlock the door. TGIF! You toss your bag to the couch and make your way to the kitchen. You haven’t eaten a single grain of rice since last night. You even skipped breakfast and today’s lunch. Sigh. Final year is killing you. At times, you feel like giving up, move to an isolated island and stay there. But you have goals and dreams, perhaps one day.

You are eating cereal when notification pops up on your phone. It’s a reminder.

“KooJune is back!”

You smile. You are going to see your boyfriend at the airport tonight. It’s been two months. Two long, sad, lonely, boring months without dearest boyfriend, Koo Junhoe. You grab your phone and look at your lock screen wallpaper. It is a selfie of both of you which was taken the day he left for the dance competition.

...........

“Come on babe. Don’t pout.” Junhoe looks at you.

“Huh...” You cross your arm, still pouting.

“Aish these two love birds. Be quick. We have to go already.” Hanbin interrupts.

“Ah okay okay.” Junhoe glances at his leader then focuses back at you. “Baby... you were okay before this and today...”

“I... I just cannot believe the day finally comes. We are going to be apart THIS far for the first time. I am not ready. No. No. No. No.” You whine like a 5 year-old.

Junhoe chuckles. He loves it when you show your cute side. He hugs your waist and pulls you into his embrace. He keeps quiet, just looks at you, admiring you as he plays with your hair.

“I know baby... this is the first time. You gotta be strong babe. Don’t make me feel bad for leaving you. Hmmm...” He kisses your head deeply.

You can’t help it but to cry. God, you never knew you are this weak and clingy towards him. He notices you are crying, so he comforts you with his voice, singing your favourite song. Both of you remain silent for a moment before you slowly pull away from his embrace.

“You are right. I must be strong.” You look into his eyes.

Junhoe smiles. He wipes your tears, holds your cheeks as he leans for a kiss. You kiss him back, soft and long kiss.

“I will make you proud, babe. Watch me.” He kisses you again.

You nod. You know he would make you proud. Always.

...........

You decide to take a quick nap before heading to the airport. Suddenly, you are awoken by the sound of the doorbell. Who could that be? You check the time. 9.30pm.

Dragging your heavy body, you walk towards the door, mumbling “who’s that?” like as if anyone could hear. You are still sleepy, since you think it’s still too early to wake up as you planned to wake up at midnight then drive to the airport.

The doorbell sounds extra annoying when you are sleepy. You groan.

“WAIT. I’M COMING.” You tie your hair into bun.

You open the door, rubbing your eyes and squinting to look at a familiar figure standing at your door. You gasp loudly. You cannot believe this!

“BABY!!!”

Your boyfriend storm inside and hugs you, spinning you around happily and kisses every inch of your face. You hug his neck and giggle whenever you feel his lips.

“Omo Junhoe...”

“Surprise!”

“But...how... aren’t you supposed to... reach the airport at 1.30am?” You look at him, puzzled.

“Well...  I lied.” Junhoe smiles. “I wanna make a surprise for you and tadah! Your favourite man is here.”

“Aish! Naughty!” You pinch his cheeks. “Junhoe... Junhoe...” You kiss his lips softly with tears rolling down your cheeks.

Junhoe kisses you back. “Hey... babe... don’t cry.” He wipes your tears. “I’m here. I’m back.”

“I know... I just... I just can’t believe I’m already seeing you in flesh.” You touch his face, his hair, his neck, his chest and his arms. “You are here. You are here.”

“Yes babe. Junhoe is here.”

~~~~~~~~

It’s your birthday and it’s already noon, yet there is still no birthday wish from Junhoe. You don’t expect a lot, not expecting a grand party or some expensive gifts or meals. A simple wish would do.

“Chill, Y/N. Maybe he has better plans for you, he pretends. You know how men are. They think we are unpredictable and difficult to read but pffttt... jokes on them.” Jisoo puts down your favourite caramel macchiato on the table.

“Thanks...” You take a sip. “Hmmm... you think so?” You kinda agree with Jisoo, especially on the “unpredictable and difficult to read” part.

This morning, you prepared breakfast as usual and ate together with him. You waited... and waited... and waited... and waited... and he left just like that. What the heck. You almost threw his favourite jacket to the bin. You took a deep breath then ranted on the phone to Jisoo for 10 minutes. Poor girlfriend, it was early in the morning and she already had to listen to your rants. It’s not that you are really angry but you just want him to wish you, kiss you, then you would reward him instead.

“I know so...” JIsoo chews on her donut.

“Hey babes!”

You and Jisoo turn to look at Jessie who comes running in her knee high boots and very tight dress with a fur coat hanging on her shoulder. She definitely hooked up with some guy last night. Typical Jessie. You and Jisoo chuckle at the sight of Jessie, leaving her in confusion before saying hi back to her.

“Someone’s boyfriend forgets to wish her happy birthday.”

“Omo. Wait. He’s back already? It feels like I haven’t seen him in ages.” Jessie wipes her face.

“Yeah... he’s back. Perfect time before my birthday but he...”

“Chill [Y/N]. If he still does not wish you before midnight then... do NOT him.”

“JESSIE!” You laugh.

Sometimes you wish you can be like Jessie. She is the happy-go-lucky type, loud and noisy, gives zero s, not afraid to say whatever she thinks is wrong and would stand up for anything she believes in. But hey, not everyone can be the same.

“Wait till midnight.” Jessie says.

*****

That night, you and Junhoe go out. You keep staring at him but he is too busy eating his subway. He talks about his trip, the competition, s, and what he did in China. Fascinating.....  You try to change topic but in the end he would keep talking about it. You just smile as you sit there and listen to his stories. You know damn well you miss his voice.

Then you remember something.

You are supposed to be mad at him for forgetting your birthday but you don’t know how to. Also you don’t want to get that mad at him. It’s not really a big deal.

“Pretend to get angry then. Aigoo... ever since you dated Junhoe, no more fierce [Y/N]. Tell me... what Junhoe did to you huh?” Jessie wiggled her eyebrows, giggling at the sight of your cheeks turning red.

“Junhoe did lots of things to me... y things...” You laugh. “And FYI I am STILL fierce but not with Junhoe... I can’t. Just look at him! He’s so adorable.” You smiled shyly. “But hmmm... pretend?” You your ice-cream.

“Great idea though. You pretend to get angry and see how he reacts. You have never gotten angry with him right?” Jisoo looked at you.

“Well... NEVER is a strong word but... my kind of angry towards Junhoe is different...” You looked at both of them.

“So... tonight. Show him. Scare the out of him.” Jessie laughed.

Gahd! You just realised that you are so weak when it comes to Junhoe.

“Babe... are you listening to me or nahhh?” Junhoe looks at you.

“NO.”

Okay, the pretending to get angry starts NOW.

“Uh??? You are not listening to me?”

Junhoe pouts. . YOU CANNOT RESIST THOSE POUTY LIPS ESPECIALLY IF THOSE LIPS ARE YOUR BOYFRIEND’S! You look at his lips and you feel like kissing his lips, telling him you were just pretending but wait. Not YET.

“Uh-huh. Why would I listen to you?”

Junhoe still pouts. You scream internally but at the same time you want to laugh. You drink your Pepsi.

“But...but baby... why? What’s wrong? Did I do something wrong?”

You swear in the name of God that Junhoe has perfected his puppy face. You take a deep breath before you continue.

“Koo Junhoe... hmmm... okay I’m not gonna hide this anymore. Let me just...”

“Are you breaking up with me?”

Junhoe grabs your waist, pulling you closer to him. He looks worried, like he is about to cry also.

“No... well maybe...” You decide to a bit.

“MAYBE???” Junhoe shakes his head. “No babe. No please. Don’t do this to me.”

You hold back your laugh. You pretend to be serious but only God knows how you want to hug him tightly at this moment.

“Okay babe... please tell me if I ever did something wrong. This is killing me. Seriously.”

“Alright. Junhoe... have you... forgotten something? Like something important... well at least it should be important to you...”

You look at Junhoe’s expression. He seems clueless.

“Something important?”

You nod and wait for his reaction. He still looks clueless. He looks like he’s trying his best to remember. You want to grab him by his collar but at the same time you just want to laugh and pat his head like a mother would do to her child.

“Never mind. Forget about it.” You continue drinking. “Hmmm... at least mom and dad wished me. Jisoo and Jessie booked a special hair treatment for me... as birthday gift...”

[Junhoe’s POV]

. OH OH OH . You look at your girlfriend. She’s probably sulking right now. She doesn’t even look at you now. Oh . Nice going, Koo Junhoe.

“Baby... I’m so so so sorry. Really. Please forgive me babe. I didn’t mean to forget about your birthday. Goddamn I kept thinking about your birthday before I came back. I’m so sorry baby. Please forgive me. Please...”

You touch her cheeks softly. It’s true though. You did think about her birthday when you were in China. In fact, you actually planned to either let her shop till she drops or take her to the beach and spend a night there. But damn it, how could you forget about her birthday?

“Whatever Junhoe. It’s 15 minutes past midnight already. You are late.”

You sigh. She seems serious and angry and serious and angry and angry. Great. You are done, Junhoe.

“I’m sorry.”

You stare at the ground. You don’t know what to do to cheer her up. Both of you remain silent for a good 5 minutes before you suddenly think of something. It would definitely cheer her up. You smile as you glance at her.

[Your POV]

You are not looking at Junhoe because you don’t want him to see that you are actually holding your laugh and it is NOT easy. You can’t laugh even a bit because everyone would know and realise when you shoulder shake. You finish your Pepsi before you turn to look at him.

You see he is already standing facing you.

“Junhoe... what...”

Then suddenly he starts to aegyo! WHAT ON EARTH. He aegyo so hard, cuteness explode! You can’t help it but to laugh and you see he starts to get embarrassed as he hides his face with his palm, giggling. You cannot believe what you have just witnessed. KOO JUNHOE DID AEGYO BETTER THAN IDOLS.

You look at his smile.

“I want to make you happy. I’m really sorry babe. I didn’t mean to.” He kneels down. “Baby...” He holds your hand.

You finally calm yourself down and wipe your tears. Wow. You laugh to that extent. You just cannot believe that you just saw your dearest boyfriend with explosive aegyo. You look at him and grab his hands tightly, kissing each fingers and press his palms against your cheeks.

“Thank you... ah. Actually June... I’m not that mad. I want to sulk and get angry with you but I don’t know how to.” You chuckle.

“Uh? Really babe? You are not mad? Really? Even though your Junhoe forgets to wish you happy birthday?” He looks into your eyes.

You nod and smile. You look into his eyes. “Really... I’m not that upset and mad. Maybe just... a bit... just sulking. But never mind.” You giggle.

You notice how Junhoe looks relaxed now. Relieved.

“But babe... damn. I forget your birthday, did not wish you and... I have no present for you.”

“Junhoe... you are here with me... you came back before my birthday and now you are here with me. That’s the best present ever.” You lean forward and kiss his lips softly.

He smiles and kisses you back.

“I love you, [Y/N]. I love you so much babe.” He kisses you again.

You slowly pull away before the kiss starts to turn wild. You laugh a bit.

“Since I have my gift with me... I wanna use my gift...” You whisper at his ear. “Hmmm... it’s so cold tonight. Right?” You get up, stretching your arms and legs.

Junhoe smirks. He gets up and grabs your waist, pulling you closer to him. “I can keep you warm... really warm...”

Both of you take a taxi to go home quickly. When both of you reach the door, you know damn well that both could not control it anymore that you and him fall to the floor. Junhoe laughs out loud before he gets on his feet again and carries you to the bedroom. And the rest of the night... well you know...

It is the best birthday gift.