Eighteen

Living at Large

The only person who stays with Chanyeol throughout his hospital stay is Yifan. It takes for both of Chanyeol's parents as well as Zitao and Yixing to drag him out; and he never leaves for over half an hour. Chanyeol would know, he keeps an eye on the clock whenever Yifan's not there. His parents ask him who it is, but when he remains puzzled and unsure of how to answer, it's Baekhyun who blurts to his parents that Yifan is indeed someone Chanyeol cherishes. His parents take Yifan under their wing, and Yifan looks a little more than surprised that they're doting on him like he's their own son.

It's long past visiting hours, and Chanyeol sighs as he stares up at the ceiling. Everyone had come and gone, and his own parents were leaving with Yifan taking them outside. Chanyeol's heart clenches at that, because what happens when he's not around anymore? Will anyone take care of his parents when he's gone?

"What are you thinking?" He asks himself, shaking his head for good measure. It proves to be a bad idea that leaves him completely nauseous but he kind of doesn't mind it because he needed to wake up even just a little bit. Even if he were gone, he was sure that Baekhyun and his other friends would take great care of his parents. He should be- and is- more worried about Yifan, the boy who doesn't let anyone in and is quick to pull away when he's scared.

The metal door clicks as it's being closed, and Chanyeol slowly turns in that direction to see a tired Yifan entering his room. Yifan is silent as he takes a seat at the chair by Chanyeol's bedside, and Chanyeol wonders what he's thinking of to be making such a solemn expression.

"Yifan?" He calls hesitantly, and he's not even sure if Yifan will hear him with all the thoughts going through his head; but he's heard. Yifan looks up at him slowly, but when his gaze is on Chanyeol, Chanyeol suddenly feels like his heart's about to explode. He's not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Yifan reaches out with his hand and Chanyeol simply watches, unsure of Yifan's intent. Yifan cups his cheek so gently that Chanyeol wonders if he's actually just imagining the touch. But as quickly as Yifan reaches out for him, he pulls back, and his hand falls away.

"Your parents asked... if I would let you move in with me."

Chanyeol's eyes flutter in a series of confused blinks. What was that supposed to mean? Were they tired of having to take care of him?

"They said that since they're not around to make sure you're okay, they'd want to keep you with someone who they can trust to take care of you."

Chanyeol is silent for a few moments as he takes the information in and swirls it around in his head. He doesn't actually understand why his parents would ask for Yifan to take care of him rather than Baekhyun, but as his gaze absently returns to Yifan, he realizes that Yifan was the only one there for him since the start of it.

"You don't have to." He tells Yifan, though he knows that he himself would rather be with Yifan than with anyone else.

Yifan's smile is just slight as he shakes his head, and he takes one of Chanyeol's hands in his own, "I called Zi and asked him to help your parents move things into my apartment."

"But why is it... that you don't look so happy about this?" Chanyeol asks quietly, his gaze falling to the hands in his lap.

"Because I'm not." Yifan answers, and Chanyeol fights the tears that are starting to form in his eyes due to Yifan's rejection; but Yifan won't let go of his hand no matter how hard Chanyeol tries to slip his hand away,

"Every day that passes, you become even more sick than you were the day before."

And Chanyeol slowly looks back at Yifan once more. He doesn't know just how much Yifan's hurting because of this. Although living together would be great, neither of them know just how much time he has left. Yifan's crying, his head bowed forward and his free hand covering his face so Chanyeol doesn't see it, but Chanyeol knows he's crying because he's secretly watched Yifan cry a few times while pretending to be asleep.

"Yifan." Chanyeol calls, but when Yifan doesn't even bother to acknowledge his voice, Chanyeol swings his feet over the side of the bed and his legs dangle in the air on either side of Yifan doesn't go unnnoticed. He makes sure he has a blanket covering his crotch, because hospital gowns are very... airy.

Yifan looks up at him, then, and there's something soft in his gaze. Chanyeol wonders what it is for a moment, but when he remembers he had done this for a specific reason, he successfully pulls his hand out of Yifan's tight grip and instead reaches forward to cup his face.

"It doesn't matter how much time I have left. I want to spend those last few days with you."

The words cause for Yifan to inhale sharply, and a part of Chanyeol wonders if it means Yifan's going to run away again, but he's proved wrong when Yifan drags his face down and kisses him. What starts as a simple brush of the lips gets heated within seconds and Chanyeol wishes he could keep going, but the way blood is rushing to his head at how... excited he's getting, makes it as painful as it is pleasureful. He presses a hand against Yifan's shoulder, and Yifan pulls away instantly.

"Are you okay?" Yifan asks, and his voice sounds a little hysterical. Chanyeol chuckles and pecks his lips once more before he returns to laying back on his bed.

"Yeah, I just... got excited." Chanyeol answers, and he looks away in embarrassment. He half expects for Yifan to laugh, but then remembers that Yifan's much too serious to laugh over something like that.

Instead, Yifan merely stands and looms over Chanyeol's frame over the bed, "Move over."

Chanyeol stares at him for a moment with wide eyes but shifts away just enough for both of their tall bodies to fit on the bed. It's the first time Yifan's done something like this, but Chanyeol doesn't mind the extra warmth that presses against him and keeps him safe.

"Are you uncomfortable yet?" Yifan asks, his arm draping around Chanyeol's waist.

"If your goal is to make me uncomfortable you've failed a long time ago." Chanyeol laughs, and he turns onto his side, his face buried into the crook of the elder's neck.

Yifan on his teeth in a playful manner and releases a sigh, "I've lost my touch."

Chanyeol laughs louder than he should and Yifan just chuckles along. He falls asleep somewhere in the midst of laughter, and he's sure Yifan follows him after a while because when he wake up the next morning, Yifan's still asleep and he looks so tired and worn out that Chanyeol feels guilty for having him there all the time.

"He's awake." Someone's voice says, and Chanyeol looks up to see Sehun entering the room. He has the slightest grimace on his face and Chanyeol's eyebrows furrow in confusion as Zitao trails in after Sehun.

"What's up?" He asks, careful of his voice so Yifan isn't woken up so suddenly.

"I just came to drag him home for a little while. Luhan says they need help at the bakery." Zitao says, and there's a guilty smile on his face as he glances between Chanyeol and the sleeping Yifan.

"Oh." Chanyeol gasps lightly, because if things are going badly then Yifan really should leave for a while.

"They can handle it without me." Yifan mumbles groggily, and both Zitao and Sehun stare at him like he's said something absolutely ridiculous,

"I'm not leaving Chan."

Chanyeol's heart soars at the way Yifan sounds while he's still half asleep, but he knows that Yifan shouldn't be here when he's needed somewhere else. The doctor's already told Chanyeol he can go home soon after more close supervision, anyway.

"You have to, Fan." Chanyeol whispers, and Yifan groans as he sits up and lets his long legs down from the bed. Chanyeol sits up as well, though he's a lot slower than Yifan is.

"I'll be back soon." Yifan says as he slips his shoes on, and after he turns and presses a lingering kiss onto Chanyeol's forehead, he gets up and leaves the room.

Zitao, who was supposed to have trailed after Yifan because he had come for Yifan after all, just turns and stares as Yifan leaves, "I've never... seen him like this before."

"What do you mean?" Chanyeol shifts, and he's a little surprised that Sehun takes the seat beside his bed like he's going to stay. If he is, it'd be Sehun's first time staying without either Baekhyun or Jongin around to crack jokes with.

"I first met Fan when we were younger and I just got here from China." Zitao explains, though his eyes are on the silent Sehun and not Chanyeol,

"He's always been so serious- and guarded."

Chanyeol releases a sigh because even though Zitao says Yifan's changed, Chanyeol fears that there's a chance Yifan will just return to what he once was without him and he doesn't want that to happen, not now after learning how incredible Yifan really is when he opens up.

"He's not the only one." Sehun says, but it's quiet enough to pass off as a mumble. Chanyeol hears him, though, and apparently, so does Zitao.

The tension between Sehun and Zitao is so thick that Chanyeol's a little worried they'll start throwing fists as he shifts in his bed and glances between them.

"Is there something going on between you?" He asks, and both Sehun and Zitao tense. Sehun eventually throws a spiteful glance over his shoulder at Zitao, who simply takes a step away.

"I'll get going. Feel better, Chan." Zitao states, and then he leaves the hospital room. Chanyeol feels a fond smile curling on his lips as he shakes his head, but his gaze trails over to Sehun. Even though Zitao's gone now, Sehun's still sitting like he's going to throw a fist at the first person who crosses him. Chanyeol doesn't want to be that person.

But apparently, Jongdae does.

"Sehun and Zitao sitting in a tree~" Jongdae sings as he walks into Chanyeol's room, and Chanyeol blinks dumly. What was Jongdae talking about?

"I'm going to kill you." Sehun growls and he actually lunges at Jongdae. Baekhyun is there as well and is barely successful as he holds them apart. And though Sehun can't get to Jongdae, Jongdae still continues to sing and like he always does.

But although Chanyeol wishes to have the old times back, he wishes he could have Yifan as he is now.