One

WE ARE ONE

Min yoo’s POV

It’s the middle of a year, July to be precise. I woke up to the sound of my alarm ringing. Groggily I raised my hand trying to stop the damn alarm clock; it was too loud for my taste, especially this morning. I groaned, trying to remember the reason I have to wake up this early and ended up realizing the reason. School. Yes. First day of school. Usually I never complained the day I have to go back to school because as much as I like the long school break I would eventually miss going to school and meeting my friends again. But, this time it’s different and soon you’ll know why. I sat up then start shuffling my body out of the too-comfortable-bed, after getting my feet to move towards the bathroom I start picking up my tooth brush and paste to brush my teeth. After getting a cold shower and only after then I manage to freshen up my mind and cleared out the sleepy eyes off of my face.

I haven’t introduced myself properly to you guys have I? Right. Sorry for that. The name‘s Kim min yoo as you can guess I’m Korean. I have a round face but mind you I’m not and will not let you call me chubby, my eyes are single-lidded, I have straight brown hair, white skin and I’m baby-faced. I’m in my senior high school year as a freshman. Yep, that’s right I am a freshman in a totally new school. That’s all –well not all, but enough information- about me. Let’s continue on with the story.

Staring at myself in the mirror, “hmmmm… not bad at all…” the school uniform –I have to admit it- is actually quite pretty. “At least the short skirt shows off my slim legs…” Satisfied with my looks in new uniform I started brushing my shoulder-length-light-brown hair and finally adding a purple hairpin showing my left ear. Grabbing my bag I walk out of my room. I was about to take a first step down the stairs when my brother called for me, “Yah! Min yoo! Breakfast is ready! Come down and eat now or we are going to be late for school!”.   “Ne oppa!” I called back and hurry up down the stairs. By the time I reach the dining room my eyes immediately fell on the-tempting-thin-rounded food on the plate.  Yum! Pancakes for breakfast! Mom must have made it, I thought to myself. My mom is usually very busy with her job but when she had the time she will make us breakfast before going to work. Right after devouring the last pancake the doorbell suddenly rang. “I’ll get it!” I shouted before running towards the front door. The door creaked open and before it’s fully opened a loud greetings went through my ears.

“annyeongg!!!” two of my best friends greets in unison with bright smile plastered on their faces. “annyeong!” I greet back. Excitement and a twinge of disappointment filled me for being able to see them also in their new uniforms and having to face that their uniforms are different from mine showing that I went to a different school. But I swallow back the disappointment, not letting any hint of it on my face. “omoo~~ you girls look so good in that uniform!”

“Jinja?” ask Sihan with sparkling eyes. She is a bubbly girl with straight chest-length-faint pink-blonde hair; she has sharp eyes with thin lips and white complexion.

“You look cute too!” Yi lin replied with a dimpled-smile. She has wavy below chest-length-dark-brown hair, kind eyes, plump lips, and a rather paler complexion than me and Sihan. Both of them are wearing the same white uniforms, striped red ties, and short red skirts. The only difference was their blazers, while Sihan’s blazer reaches her hands, Yi lin’s blazer doesn’t cover her arm. My uniform is pale yellow and instead of dark blue blazers we used sweaters. The sweaters are light brown with dark brown stripes around the collar and the end of the sweaters. My skirt is also different from them, mine has plaid pattern and instead of ties for girls we used thin black colored bow. “Ne, Sihan-ah, you look pretty. Gamshabhamnida Yi lin-ah” I smiled back. A pat on my shoulder and I turn around to see the owner of the hand, “here’s your bag, hurry up and wear your shoes”.

 

Sihan’s POV

I was about to thank min yoo for the compliment when a familiar face showed up behind her with a bag slung over his tough shoulder and another bag in his hand. That light-brown hair –I wish I could touch for-, that round chubby face –too adorable for his own good-, that eyes, nose, lips. His sturdy body, even though he is short compared to other boys that I knew, but yet he is still taller than me. He is perfect! The person standing right before me, the reason I dress up nice to impress for. Is .Standing. In. front of. Me.

“Annyeongg~~ Min seok oppa~” I greet him in the most cheerful way I could possibly make. “Ne, annyeong” Min seok smiled back. Waaaa he smiled back at me! Omoo he’s so adorable! If I could smile wider than what I did just now, I would. “Yah! You can wipe your smile now! Or you’ll end up with a love-struck smile permanently!” Yi lin teased and the three of them end up laughing.

“Yi lin-ah!” I elbowed her for embarrassing me in front of him.

“Miyane Sihan-ah, I was just joking” she giggled back.

A huge sigh was heard and three people whipped their head towards the sound. Min yoo clearly sigh. “Min yoo-ah... gwaenchana?” I asked, concern filled the three of us. She lifted her head and smiled weakly “I just don’t feel like going to school today…”

“Waeyo?” asked Yi lin.

“Are you sick?” added Min seok.

“Ani, it’s just that I can’t be with you girls… I miss you already…” Min yoo answered pouting.

“Yah! At least you have Min seok oppa with you!” I can’t help but complained if only you knew how much I wish to be in the same school with him.

“Hey! Min yoo-ah if this would help then I’ll tell you something good, you see... Your school and our school happen to be neighbors. Sooo... there’s nothing you need to worry about! If you need us you can visit us anytime! If necessary just jump out the window, I’ll catch you” explained Yi lin laughing.

“Jinja??” Ahh~ you’re such a mood lifter!” Min yoo threw a big hug towards Yi lin. “but, -her face suddenly turn all serious- promise me you’ll catch me, cause I’ll be jumping over a lot” staring into Yi lin’s eyes before both of them burst out laughing followed by me and Min seok oppa.

Yi lin’s POV

The street doesn’t change much, except for the trees that started turning into a shade of yellow with leaves falling off their branches. Not too much leaves though, for this is only the beginning of the season. A few people were seen on the street. Some of them are opening up the stores and some are just pedestrians. The four of us walked in silence until Min yoo who was walking beside me asked “Sihan-ah, where’s your twin brother? Why didn’t he come with you?” a huff was heard from behind. Sihan who was walking with Min seok right behind us answered scoffing “That kid?? Hufft… he never waits for me… you know what? You’re so lucky to have a brother like Min seok oppa” she said staring dreamily at Min seok. “Ne, you’re so lucky Min yoo. My brother never left me but he won’t wake up no matter how loud I yelled at him every morning… he’s such a heavy sleeper…” I add giving up. “Yeah Min yoo~ you’re so lucky to have a brother like me~” Min seok agreed playfully. Min yoo smiled “Okay.Okay I’ll admit it, I’m pretty lucky indeed” she admits making huge gestures of understanding. Fits of laughter can be heard from our small group of four.

06.00 AM

After walking for a while I can spot two huge building side by side only separated by short wall ahead of us. M and K high schools, most known for their rivalry. Sihan told me that there’s been a rumor going around saying that both principal of the respective side were once husband and wife. It’s funny and ironic how the rumors clash with the facts. A few minutes later, we were right in front of K high school just about to bid goodbye to our friend and his brother when a familiar figure sprint across the field towards the gate. Towards us. The figure sprinting only a few more meters towards us are none other than Sihan’s 12 minutes later twin brother and our beloved maknae, Oh Sehun. White complexion, the exact same pinkish-blonde hair, sharp eyes and thin lips but despite the fact that he’s basically younger than any of us his height are way above us, four people. Finally reaching us, he bent down with two hands holding his knees trying to catch his breath for running the distance. “Sehun-ah, you oka-” Sihan asked him out of concern only to be cut by the latter.

Sehun’s POV

06.03 AM

Tick-tock tick-tock staring at the clock ticking as time keep passing by, I kept wandering around the front hall, where is she?? I thought she was just going to pick up her friends.  As much as I love hanging around and –being the youngest- also spoiled by the only three girls in our group, they’re still girls. I am not and will never going to accompany noona and her friends to school. I hate waiting and heaven knows what the hell they’re doing when it comes to getting ready for school. Wait; let me just repeat that once-maybe not-more. SCHOOL. Goddamn SCHOOL. For that sole reason they could waste hours in their respective room (when I said respective it means ‘NO-YOU-CANNOT-ENTER-or-god-knows-what-will-happen-if-you-do’ room.) the last time I went into my sister’s room a huge chaos occurred, followed by flying pillows till not-so-soft-cosmetics-to-the-head and finally it ended with a loud slam of the door and warnings in cursive words.

Whew… I sigh memorizing the past event rubbing my head; damn I even remembered the pain. Looking back at the clock again I realized that its way past the time they were supposed to be at least having arrived here. I should’ve wait for her before I went to school by myself should I?  I start having doubts about keeping my ‘never-accompany-noona-and-her-friends’ oath. Should I wait for her tomorrow? Then a glimpse at four figures just behind the school gates catches my eyes. The way they walk from afar and I’m -immediately- hundred percent sure one of them is my fussy noona. I was about to approach them when something clicked in my mind and stopped my stride. Four? Then I squint my eyes, focusing on the fourth figure. The figure starts to clear and I can finally guess the person. Kim Min Seok. Right there. Standing far away from my place but right beside my noona. I gritted my teeth and start stomping towards them, my mind fuming. Then stomping turns into running.

The field was quite big for a run, so the minute I arrived by the gate I was already sweating and bent down trying to catch my breath. “Sehun-ah, you oka-“, noona’s voice was filled with concern before I cut it. “Yah! What the heck are you doing here?!” I bark out at him, and noona’s face turn into pure shock. Xiumin who was standing behind them was taken aback by the sudden burst and before he gets to say anything I whipped my head towards my noona. “Why did you come with him?!” with hand pointing at Xiumin I ask noona, demanding an answer. But she just stood there trying to recover from the shock I gave her. Finally after a few second had passed and neither Xiumin nor noona answered the lingering question, Min yoo step up and question me back, “Yah, why did you talk that way to hyung??” looking back and forth between Xiumin and me with confused look on her face. My mind wasn’t straight and I was about to snap at her when suddenly noona –regaining her normal state of mind back- grabbed my hand and drag me towards school with feet set up in a quick pace. I can only catch a glance at them before looking ahead trying to follow noona’s quick step. Yi lin –the first one to recover- excusing herself and starts catching up with me and noona.

This is going to be a long day... With them being unaware of what happened 3 years ago…