Prologue + Character Choices

Death Road to Anjeon

 

Prologue

before the trek

The sounds of groans and low growls bellowing from within flesh-hungry stomachs could be heard from where two figures sat huddled at the far corner of the locked underground basement. Shivering in the damp coldness, they huddled in closer to share a few of the blankets they had and what was left of their body heat, wishing into the heavens that this was all a horrendous nightmare.

Unfortunately, it wasn't.

Above, the creatures, which were once mere humans themselves, began to scratch against the surface of the closed basement door. Luckily for the remaining two who were hiding, it was sturdy enough and locked tight to withstand even the toughest of humans in Korea. However, it was the only obstacle left standing between them and the monsters outside and, like all things, the door will eventually give out.

For now, they had all they needed to survive; neatly stacked canned food, some old pots and pans, and emergency medical supplies stood on the metal shelves against one wall of the basement. Another shelf standing next to that held flashlights with, thankfully, some extra batteries. The shelves also housed extra sleeping bags, a tent, and two large backpacks surrounded by other useless bits and bobs. Two baseball bats lay on the cemented floor by the shelves, one of the bats thankfully appearing to be made of metal, which will be good for combat, and the other wooden. To the opposite wall was a work bench with tools scattered all over the desk. A lamp stood on it, its light flickering every so often.

A loud thump echoed throughout the basement, jolting both figures in shock. The door rattled as grunts and more growling were heard. It sounded as if the creatures were at their feral state, indicating that it's most likely night time.

How long have they been there? The both of them have lost track of time. Although they had their phones with them, the batteries have long died out, leaving the both of them cut off from the outside world to acquire potential professional help. Their only means of knowing what was happening outside was the radio, which was quite old and dusty, and sometimes loses radio signals. Even so, they were thankful that it still works anyway.

The door continued to rattle. The creatures started to pound against the surface of the door, growling and snapping what was left of their decayed jaws. The two figures locked inside were at a pitiful state.

They had to get out and get somewhere else safe--somewhere where they could be protected.

He reached for the volume handle of the radio, turning it up to check for new information from the remaining radio news stations. The radio crackled to life and it quickly picked up a signal. The pair instantly heard a voice in the midst of reporting. Although the reporter's voice was shaky and crackly due to the poor signal, the two were still able to understand.

"--Anjeon. I repeat, the government have made recent contact with Japan and it appears as though they have come into an agreement. There are boats to Japan currently ashore in Anjeon. Survivors are currently being escorted and taken to Japan. Other remaining survivors out there are urged to travel safely, if possible, to Anjeon to be taken to safe--," the radio's signal breaks for a few seconds before the voice returns, "--wish you good luck." The signal went dead and both men stared at the radio for what seemed like hours.

Safety. Survivors were geing escorted to safety, away from the monsters. They might have hope.

One of the two was determined to go. Arguably, the trek to Anjeon would take days, 10 days to be exact as it was literally at the other end of the country from where they were, but they had a car outside which was hopefully intact and still had some gas. If they could, they would siphon out some gas the rest of the way. The journey would be risky, but he would rather die trying to escape rather than staying to become dinner.

He nudged the other man with his elbow, "H-Hey."

"What?"

"Let's go."

"Go where? Anjeon?"

"Yeah. Were you listening to him? He said there're boats in Anjeon to Japan, where it's safe. We could be safe!"

"Are you crazy?!" the other man half-shrieked at the other's face due to their close proximity, "I'm not stepping out of this basement! The front is probably filled full with those monsters! We'll be dead the moment we even step one foot out that door!"

"Weren't you listening? Japan is willing to take us! Okay, sure the trip from here will take days, but with the both of us, we'll be able to watch each other's backs and fight our way through. Besides, would you really want to sit here forever? We'll have to leave at some point. We'll eventually run out of food and if that happens, what then? I don't want to sit here and wait for death to come so soon."

The other man gritted his teeth in frustration. He, too, wanted to escape, but a trip to Anjeon from where they currently were was surely far and dangerous. On the other hand, the man had a point; they would eventually run out of food to eat and other necessities to survive. If they wanted to continue on living, they would have to get out and scavenge as there was no other option. He groaned in defeat.

"Fine," he huffed.

"But if I die and turn into a zombie, I'll make sure to eat you first."


Who should brave the death road to Anjeon?

Kim "Kai" Jongin
Trait: Arrogant (Jongin thinks he's the greatest of them all, and he doesn't think twice about showing off, which may irritate the group and cause serious division in friendship)
Perk: Buff (Jongin is strong compared to all listed characters, which may be handy if the team has no weapons and must rely on their fists to fend off zombies)

"D.O."
Trait: Mysterious (Almost little to nobody knows about him and his past. In fact, he sort of appeared out of nowhere)
Perk: Gungineer (D.O. is skilled in taking apart and piecing guns together into better weaponry. Nobody knows where he got his guns from and nobody is brave enough to ask)
Kim "Suho" Junmyeon
Trait: Inventive (Being born to a wealthy family, he's quite had it all. With maids and butlers who would do the cooking and cleaning for him, he used his extra time to get gears working both figuratively and literally. He will never forget his first tiny robot.)
Perk: Car junkie (Junmyeon knows the latest and greatest cars in the scene. Well, before the zombie apocalypse started. He may know how to fix some, too)
Huang "Tao" Zitao
Trait: Paranoid (Tao isn't particularly a fan of scary things, what more zombies roaming the very country he happened to choose to live in. Although he's willing to take watch at nights, his on-edge attitude may decrease the rest of the group's morale and sanity)
Perk: Technician (His previous job required him to repair broken home appliances and other things before the apocalypse happened. Perhaps he could offer his services on the way. Besides, he carries his tools with him, which are handy for any quick fixes and doubles as weaponry)
Zhang "Lay" Yixing
Trait: Calm (Years of studying surgery gave him the skills to be calm at any situation, no matter how great)
Perk: Surgeon (Yixing tries his best to patch up wounds and injuries as best as he can, even in an apocalypse. However, due to all his focus on medicine throughout his life, he's not exactly the greatest fighter)
Kim "Xiumin" Minseok
Trait: Charming (With his good looks and cute smile, the chances of escaping bandits unscathed is higher if Xiumin is tasked to reason with them) 
Perk: Explorer (Xiumin likes to explore and discover new things. His enthusiasm to explore can be beneficial as he can return with loot for the group.)
Wu "Kris" Yifan
Trait: Resilient (He's flexible when needed and is quick to recover from difficult situations.)
Perk: Businessman (Kris knows business and is skilful in talking and persuasion. With these skills, he just might be able to grab a few extra freebies or good deals when trading with survivors or dealing with bandits.)
Kim "Chen" Jongdae
Trait: Bandit (Chen's served his sentence for stealing from an innocent. Although he's definitely thought of going for another approach for his future, survival matters most in a zombie apocalypse and Chen's means of survival is stealing.)
Perk: Athletic (He's quick on his feet and flexible, which is helpful in outrunning zombies and attacking the creatures by surprise)
Park Chanyeol
Trait: Cheerful/Annoying (Even in a zombie apocalypse, Chanyeol seems to still be in very high spirits, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on who he's with)
Perk: Dog-friendly (Dogs seem to like him a lot, zombie apocalypse or not. If the group encounters a dog on the way, Chanyeol can easily befriend and recruit it into the group)
Byun Baekhyun
Trait: Short-tempered (Baekhyun is quick to blow up in hot air, especially when things don't go his way unless the counter argument is reasonable enough)
Perk: Fighter (If taunted or frustrated, he'll be able to fight and take down foes easily in a few swift blows. He may appear tiny and lanky, but he can definitely throw a mean punch.)
Oh Sehun
Trait: Sneaky (When needed, Sehun can easily blend into the shadows and sneak past unknowing figures. With this, he'll be able to loot areas unnoticed or, in the worst case scenario, steal)
Perk: Ex-militant (He served his required training early and worked in the army for some time before retiring. Thus, he knows combat and how to use weapons when available.)
Luhan
Trait: Civilised (Most of the time, Luhan is polite and good-mannered, and he carries a calming and friendly aura about him, which may be useful for creating alliances or talking out of tough situations.)
Perk: Nurse (His job as a nurse exposed him to all sorts of different injuries and, thus, he has quite the experience in patching up wounds, too)

VOTE

author's note: Hello and welcome to Death road to anjeon! I hope you enjoyed the prologue, although short ^^ Please don't forget to vote two amongst the exo members (past and present) whom you'd like to be the main characters of this story! each member has their own listed perk and outstanding trait, so please consider these before submitting your votes, because you surely would want them to survive until the end. like actual strategy video games, even though some characters may seem as if they have a negative trait, it could be beneficial! for example, kai's arrogant nature gives him higher sanity and possibly also increases his strength over time. lastly, even if not chosen, there is still potential for each unchosen member to appear.
Lastly, if you've noticed, Anjeon is very unreal. I will be creating a map of this universe/dimension's korea, including surrounding countries, very soon!
I can't wait to see where this story goes! i hope we'll enjoy ourselves throughout the journey! ♥