Lyon

The Light Thief

Chapter 1 : Lyon, France

The music in the club was blasting. Colorful strobe lights filled the cramped space , eliminating dancing shadows against the stone walls. With every sway of each person's hips and bodies pushed together the air became thicker almost  suffocatingly so.  Everyone in the club had on black or dark blue. People had the wildest hair , leather extensions and dreadlocks. Some were wearing goggles on their heads, lots of straps and leather could be seen from any corner of the club. Wouldn't expect less from a cypber punk punk club.

Baekhyun blended right into the club, dressed very similar to the club kids. He had a high collar zipped leather jacket , black jeans ripped at the knees and high combat boots with straps up his calf. He had a piercing on the bridge of his nose one bulb on each side. His hair fell in his eyes and was dark like the night sky.  He was thankful for this because it covered his unique glassy gray eye color.

Time almost seemed to halt in the night club in central Lyon. It always felt like you were in  a trance one you desperately wanted to wake up from but couldn't. Baekhyun stood idly  against a cold stone wall. He just watched as the people in the club let their guards down and let their inhibition slip away. If they only knew he thought, if they only knew how much their world could change in a blink of an eye.

Baekhyun closed his eyes and just sank into his surroundings. He was weak very weak, he had been running  for so long it was starting to take its toll on him. This wasn't the best or favorite way to absorb energy but it would have to do for now. He outstretched his hands and let the strobe lights buzz over his skin. He could feel the artificial light course through his veins and pump through his body. He felt prickly but it would do the job.


It made him woozy, artificial light wasn't a good source  for a "Light elemental", but it was all he could manage to get now in days.  He never went outside anymore during the day. It was too risky and expected. He found a solace in the night, he felt safer. So he continued  to absorb the bright colored lights in the club. He saw the lights flicker a bit and briefly wondered if it was his doing.

Baekhyun was just about to get his fill for the night, when he heard the familiar sound of space and time being bent. There was a clear warping sound, along with dark whisky shadows. A tall man dressed very similar to Baekhyun appeared beside him.

"They're here"  the man spoke with a curt urgency. Baekhyun  whipped his head towards the male. He quickly put his hands at his side and stared in slight fear.

"I'm not finished yet . I still feel weak!" Baekhyun whispered to the male. The said male just took one of Baekhyun's hands and help onto it tightly.

" We can find somewhere else for you to go, but right now we have to get you out of here!"

And with that Baekhyun nodded. He held his companion's hand firmly. The warping sound was louder now, just before he closed his eyes he saw the dark shadows whisking around. His stomach turned and flipped, he felt the need to vomit. But before it even started it was over.
When Baekhyun opened his eyes he found himself in front of a huge gothic cathedral . It was just himself and the man that brought him there. They were definitely still in Lyon, the stone houses and  and cobble stones roads gave it away. What was odd was that it was completely empty and silent. Too silent.

"Kai where are we ?" Baekhyun said still holding on to his hand. He was momentarily cut from his thoughts when he saw his best friend sink to the ground clutching his side.  On instinct Baekhyun sank to ground as well checking on his friend. There was blood where Kai was holding his side. Baekhyun quickly surveyed their surroundings. There was no one here on the cathedral steps but them. How could this have  happened. He could hear Kai make a dejected chuckle. He looked to his friends for some answers.


"You got hit? Why wouldn't you teleport to a healer or hospital or something?" Baekhyun asked worriedly.  Kai just shook his head and winced from the pain.

"It's not me. I didn't get hit" Kai said trying to make himself comfortable even though he was in pain. Baekhyun gave him a questionable look; he briefly thought Baekhyun may have thought he was insane.

Kai sighed, sometimes his friend could be a little dense about their situation. "It was another elemental" there was pause. "A time and space elemental, I could feel it"
Baekhyun glassy grey eyes softened and looked towards the ground. This was just too real for him to handle. He didn't understand how this could happen, moreover he knew they needed to keep moving.

"How, how could that happen? Was it many ?" Baekhyun asked.

Kai explained that there were definitely more "Time and space "elemental left in the world. And that they were being captured at a fast rate by the "Phoenix clan" than the other elementals. Since they" time n space" elemental feed off each other for power, it makes sense that they'd be weakened at the same rate. He explained that the clan was on the move he stressed the importance of not letting them win. It wasn't there time to rule the world. The world simply could not be ruled. There is balance and that's why the elementals exist, to keep that balance. He  also stressed to Baekhyun the importance of watching his back , especially because he "is" what they're really after.

"I know I know, the "Phoenix clan" won't stop hunting us until we're all enslaved or killed. " he said matter of factly. "I know"  the last part came out more like a whimper. With all that being said Baekhyun wasn't sure what they should do at the moment. He knew Kai could teleport himself to safety, but he was stubborn and wouldn't dare leave without Baekhyun. So Baekhyun stood up and put one earbud in his ear.

"Where are you going" Kai asked sternly. He tried to get up but he was stopped by the pain in his side. He looked up worried at his friend.Kai could almost taste the bad idea about to come. Baekhyun began to state that he could handle himself and he'd find somewhere to hide. He explained how Kai needed to teleport for help and safety before he could even think about running.  Kai shook his head at all the nonsense spewing out of his best friends mouth. "No! I'm not just going to leave you !?"  Kai said clearly upset that Baekhyun even thought that would be okay.
"We're you listening to anything I just said?"

Baekhyun just looked as his friend with a meek smile and put both his ear phones in and walked off " Get somewhere safe pal, or I won't forgive you!" Baekhyun said over his music, walking away from Kai. He could faintly hear Kai's protests, he wanted to turn around and help but he wasn't a healer and he'd probably only slow him down.  He took Kai's lecture into prospective and forced himself not to turn around. Once Baekhyun was visibly gone from Kai's line of sight. Baekhyun watched as Kai kicked something In frustration. He sat there a few minutes before, Baekhyun heard the warping sound a black shadows appear.
Then he was gone.

Baekhyun whispered a silent apology for going against his friend.  He his heals and was met with a dimly lit alleyway.  Classic european street lamps hanging from the cobble stone walls.There were more cobble stone roads with steps, homes lined the alley way . Baekhyun wondered  who lived there, and pondered how it would be so great to live in one spot.

Baekhyun stopped to admire the scenery something he rarely got to do. He had to admit for the 3 months he has been here Lyon was a beautiful city. He wouldn't mind living here when everything blows over if it ever did. He was about to round a corner when he saw three dark figures in the distance. Baekhyun turned around to see if there was anyone behind him. To his relief there wasn't a soul.

When he turned back around the figures were gone. Baekhyun removed his headphones completely and stuffed them in his jacket pocket. A tinge of fear settled in the pit of his stomach.
Kai couldn't help him out of this one.The street lights started to flicker. Baekhyun looked down at his hands, was he causing this?  He wasn't going to stay to find out Baekhyun picked up his speed down the alley.
He had an intense feeling that something or someone was following him. As he ran down the alley his adrenaline was pumping. Each step he took a street lamps blew out, until he was in utter darkness. He reached a fence. “Dammit a dead in” he thought. He sunk down on the fence he figured he'd probably made half the city have a black out by now. Which wasn't good it practically gave him away.
 

Baekhyun was already weak to begin with but now he was exhausted. He could hear footsteps in the darkness, he prepared himself for the worst. Closing his eyes he took a deep breath and tried to let his mind fade.

 

“Hey! You? Are you okay?”

 

Baekhyun perked open one of his eyes. He had expected to see the group from earlier ready to capture him or worse kill him. Surprisingly he was met face to face with a cell phone, specifically the cell phones flash light. Baekhyun looked perplexed and momentarily forgot where he was , he quickly dropped his head in an attempt to hide his eyes. He had hoped the stranger didn't seem them, but he was pretty sure he had. Baekhyun stayed silent he just wanted the stranger to leave him alone, so he could go about his business, it wasn't good to talk to others. Baekhyun had to pick and choose who he trusted . But the stranger didn't seem like they were leaving anytime soon.
 

“Hey are you deaf or something? Why are you out here in the middle of a black out? Are you lost or something? The stranger bombarded Baekhyun with questions, he couldn't even begin to answer them.  Baekhyun wished he could just say “Oh yea stranger i'm just fine, it’s only that i've been running from a clan for 3 years, and I thought they finally caught up to me!” no he wasn't going to say that , so he just stayed silent. He thought that maybe he would leave him alone if he didn't speak. He could hear the stranger sigh.

 

“I guess I'll just call the authorities , they'll know what to do” the stranger said to himself. Before Baekhyun realized it he was on his feet reaching out to the stranger in the dark.

 

“No please! Dont!”

 

“What?”

 

“Don't call the authorities. Please.”

 

Baekhyun could feel the stranger analysing him very careful. He definitely thought of him as a suspicious character. He heard the stranger shift on his feet. He pulled out his cell phone to look at the time (an:6:27 it's dark outside too) ;it eliminating the dark alley way. Baekhyun could make out some features of the stranger. He was tall male, a lot taller than himself or Kai.

 

“Okay, but let me get you out of here, you seem lost” the stranger asked with a slightly softened  voice. Baekhyun gulped he knew he shouldn't just trust strangers it was so risky, and Kai would kill him if he was here right now. But Baekhyun didn't exactly know where he was going to begin with, he just hoped he was making a smart decision.

 

“Alright.”




 

The walk was short the strangers residence wasn't too far away. Along the walk the male introduced himself as Chanyeol. Baekhyun reluctantly gave his name as well. They continued to walk the dark alley streets with only Chanyeol's cell phone flash light leading the way. It made Baekhyun chuckle really, he could light up this entire town again, if he wanted to that is.

 

The two stopped in front of a cobble stoned row home just a few blocks down from the cathedral. The home was elegant with warn wood features; above the door ways and in the ceilings. It was practically empty, it didn't look like he'd been here for very long.

Baekhyun followed Chanyeol into the threshold of the home. He watched as he turned the lights on and threw his jacket over an old wooden chair. In the light Baekhyun could see the man more clearly now. He had the deepest red hair he'd have ever seen, it was almost frightening. Almost. He had big ears and surprisingly handsome face.

 

“UMM, I guess make yourself comfortable” Chanyeol said dropping his arms to his side and pointing in the direction of his sofa. Baekhyun looked up and nodded. He quickly shuffled over to the couch and just sat, looking at nothing in particular.  He could feel Chanyeol right behind him. The dip in the couch indicated that he also sat down.

 

“Your eyes? Their unusual?”

Chanyeol expressed. Baekhyun tensed , did he know could he tell just from his eyes. Baekhyun had to think fast, he barely knew this guy he couldn't let him figure him out so quickly. “Im legally Blind, my sight is very weak” Baekhyun lied looking past Chanyeol to make it more effective. Chanyeol just nodded his head in reply with “o” sound. There was an awkward pause in the room and Baekhyun shifted in his seat uncomfortably. He could feel himself getting a little cold plus all the worrying was draining him.

“It's getting a bit chilly. You don't perhaps have a fireplace do you? Those always warm me up faster.” Baekhyun asked meekly.

 

“uh yea it's upstairs in my room though” Chanyeol said sheepishly. Chanyeol stood up and waited for Baekhyun to follow. Once they got to his room Chanyeol started to add firewood, grabbed a match a lit it. The flames caught onto the wood, and Baekhyun was always fascinated by fire. He watched as the flames danced and burned the cider.

 

“I'll go make you some tea or something, warm yourself up.” Chanyeol  said leaving almost as soon as he entered.

With Chanyeol out of the room Baekhyun took the opportunity to get some more strength from the burning fire. He would need it since he was going to be on his own for awhile. Fire had to be one of his favourite sources.  He always felt warm and purified after he absorbed it. It wasn't like sun light which was the best source, but it was a close second.
 

Baekhyun  had his hands so close to the flames any normal person might think he was a pyro. His hands and eyes started to glow; this is what he needed. It had been so long since he felt so complete. He could hear footsteps coming up the steps.Baekhyun quickly closed his hands and placed them  between his legs until the light faded. He couldn't do much about his eyes just yet so he decided to shut them until he knew they’d be back to normal.

 

Chanyeol  had stopped at the door, he had an unreadable expression. Worry went through Baekhyun’s body. He saw, how could he be so reckless. Chanyeol  walked over to a small table and put down a tray that had tea and snacks on it.He handed Baekhyun a mug, which he took reluctantly. Chanyeol joined Baekhyun in his spot on the floor next to the fireplace and sipped his tea.

 

“It's nice isn't it, the flames I mean.” Chanyeol spoke after  a beat of silence. Baekhyun just hummed in response.

 

“You don't talk much do you?” the redhead questioned. Putting his mug down and resting his chin on his hands. Baekhyun shifted in his spot, he nodded to Chanyeol questions. Baekhyun usually talked a lot but because he was by himself he thought it was wise to keep quiet. He sniffed his tea before taking a sip; Camomile he thought. It reminded him of the times he and Kai spent in London. They were so sure they were safe, their guards were down. Just when they had gotten comfortable they were on the run again.

 

A member from the clan had got a tip on the two of  them. They believed to be the laundry lady down the road, they never did like her.  The clan came in on them with weapons raised threading to kill, they fought the clan members until they had an opportunity to escape.

The thought of the whole event just made Baekhyun shiver.

 

“still cold?” Chanyeol asked sipping his tea.

 

“No, just had a thought” Baekhyun replied.

 

“Mind sharing, we have all night.”

 

“I don't think that's the best idea.”

 

Chanyeol  put his tea down and adjusted his top. “Well then.” he said sarcastically.  Baekhyun looked up at Chanyeol with an unreadable expression.

 

“I didn't mean to sound harsh, it's just it was unpleasant ,don't really want to think about it.” Baekhyun said sipping his tea.

Chanyeol just hummed in response. Baekhyun felt a pang of guilt, chanyeol did help him out the leather he could do was be kind. Baekhyun kept quiet a few more beats until he mustered up a conversation.

 

“Can I ask you a question?” Baekhyun said putting down his tea and looking towards the fire.

 

“Sure?”

 

“You haven't been Lyon long have you?”

Baekhyun asked.

 

Chanyeol shifted and ran his hands through his hair in mild frustration. “No, I haven't; how'd you know?”

 

“Just an observation, you don't have much furniture; I mean from what I can see.”

 

Chanyeol squinted his eyes towards Baekhyun and then laughed. “ I'm a traveler.”  “I just arrived in Lyon about a week ago, probably won't stay much longer though.”  he said rubbing his neck in nervousness.

Baekhyun replied that he had been in Lyon for 2 months and he had quite liked it here.

 

Baekhyun saw a tattoo on the corner of Chanyeol's neck. He couldn't make it out but it definitely looked like wings. He decided to stop pressuring him with questions in fear of what he might discover. Baekhyun then told Chanyeol he was getting tired and would like to sleep. Chanyeol insisted  for him to sleep in his room.  While he'd sleep downstairs.

“um Chanyeol?” Baekhyun called in almost a whisper.

 

“Yea”

 

“Thank you” Baekhyun said turing in the bed away from Chanyeol.

Chanyeol just laughed and replied with a small no problem  and left the room.

 

Baekhyun slept surprisingly well that night. He was still worked about Kai and very suspicious of Chanyeol. But at the moment he was great full he had a warm bed to sleep in for the night.


 

The next morning Baekhyun woke up in a cold sweat. He had a nightmare. In his dream he was suspended in a space of black nothingness. A vortex.He couldn't breath, and every time his lungs inflated he tried to reach out into the vortex. But nothing ever pulled him in to save him from his suffering. Baekhyun would repeat this process several times before succumbing to the lack of oxygen. Just when his eyes were about to close he'd see a speck of light. He'd weakly point his fingers in the direction of the divine light, but he was always too far away.

 

Breathing heavily he clutched his chest in an attempt to calm his nerves. Baekhyun thought to himself  “What do these dreams mean”. They were reoccurring  every other night. Kai always was there to wake him up. Baekhyun hadn't realized how much he depended on Kai, no wonder why he was so stubborn with him.

He pulled out his phone to check the time. It was exactly 7:00 o'clock. It was still pretty dark outside from what Baekhyun could  see. He paced around Chanyeol's room a few times before deciding that it was best that he leave.

Baekhyun was definitely thankful to Chanyeol for his hospitality, but there was something off about the man that he just couldn't pin point. He was eerie in a way Baekhyun couldn't describe. Almost like he could see right through him and Baekhyun didn't like that. Infact he hated to be seen as transparent; it made him feel weak and very vulnerable. Shaking his head to get rid of his negative thoughts Baekhyun dressed himself hastily.



 

When he walked out into the hallway, he realized that he didn't exactly know his way around Chanyeol's home. It was big to say the least. Lots of doors and not enough light. Baekhyun figured the house had hidden corridors as well, but he wasn't going to stay to find out. He paced back in forth for awhile, he actually contemplated jumping out the window, or calling Kai to teleport him away. But baekhyun was stubborn and didn't always want to rely on his friends. He had to get out of this himself. Finding the top of a stairwell, Baekhyun surveyed  his surroundings and rushed downstairs.

When he got to the landing of the wooden steps, he looked around for Chanyeol. He was know where to be found. He snuck past the living room and passed the kitchen out towards the front door. Didn't look like Chanyeol was home, he should probably leave while he could.

 

“Going somewhere ?”

 

Baekhyun paused his hand on the door knob. He never turned around because he could feel how close Chanyeol was behind him. Baekhyun tried to turn the knob and open the door but was stopped by a large hand shutting the door before he could escape. With all his courage Baekhyun turned and faced Chanyeol with a puzzled and somewhat annoyed face.

 

“Baekhyun, I think you weren't completely honest with me last night”

 

He could see it clearly now; the tattoo on Chanyeol's neck. Baekhyun eyes enlarged at the bird made of black ink on his neck. That was a phoenix, a Phoenix clan phoenix .

In somewhat of a panic Baekhyun raised his hands and the energy in his veins became visible. His grey eyes stared to glow, and before he knew it he had flared a glowing beam Chanyeol's way. The light filled the room it was pretty much blinding.

 

Staggered Chanyeol screeched in pain, he reached out to grab Baekhyun but his view was cut off from the radiant light. He doubled over covering his eyes. Baekhyun seized the opportunity to escape. He felt sick to his stomach; one day without Kai and he’s already succeeded in revealing himself to a Phoenix clan member. Perfect.

Baekhyun was left panting. He ran far and never turned back. He had been “marked”. The phoenix clan now knew his face and name. Baekhyun screamed internally he should have bolted as soon as he noticed that tattoo on Chanyeol's neck. After he knew he was a distance away  he pulled out his phone to call Kai. It took a few rings but he finally answered

 

“We have a problem !”

 

-----
End chapter 1

-----

A/N: Well anyway how was it guys? I really do appreciate the feedback:D My writing is still a bit rusty so I hope it isn't too choppy . I didn't proof read yet so there are probably some horrible errors plz excuse that untill i fix it thank you~


Chapter 2 coming soon~~