Chapter 4

Just A Friend.

“Do you know where did I put that ramen pack I bought last week?” Min asked. Hana was sitting on her desk chair, studying. She looked at her silently. Min was holding on to her closet door, hopping, trying to look at the top drawer.

Hana sighed. “Mark might have eaten it.”

“You’re letting your boyfriend steal my ramen?” Min rolled her eyes.

“He’s already put it in his mouth when I caught him.” She felt guilty to her. “And he’s not my boyfriend.”

“Isn’t this is a violation?” Min looked through her trash finding the evidence. She sighed.

“I tried to stop. He thought it was mine. He said you probably don’t want to eat it if he spit it back. He got his point though.” Hana headed to her stash over her bed and pick up a pack of ramen. “I’m sorry I forgot to tell you. You can have mine though. I just bought it.”

“Nope. That’s it. Get your shoes.” Min smirked. She pulled on her black heeled boots. “We’re going to dinner right now. And you’re going to pay.”

This was probably the first time they’ve eaten dinner outside together. Min and Hana are not like those roommates who are spending time coloring each other fingernails. Min was a cool person despite her party-animal trait in her blood. She wasn’t around at the room all the time and Hana was already grateful for that.

“Are you sure, you and Mark are just friend?” Min stared at her eating her hamburger. The dining hall was less cramped compared to lunch time.

"How many times do I have to say this to you, Min?" I like him, but he’s not my boyfriend.

"Fine, Jia has been bugging me like forever to ask for Mark's number. I don't know if it's okay for you."

She almost choked on her fries. "Yeah, I'll ask him."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mark was waiting for her in front of her faculty that evening. He smiled as bright as the sun when he saw her. He was beaming like an angel. He probably had those stunning feather-like wings too behind him if he spread it. She sighed. Stop seeing things, Hana.

They walked together to her hall. Mark was telling about this project he’s on for one of his class. She doesn’t even listen to every word he was saying. She just stared at him spellbound by his enthusiastic speech about building or something.

Mark has to pull her closer to him when she almost walked past by her hall. She was tingled with an electric shock when his hand touches her. Her heart was beating hard. She cleared and laugh awkwardly at confused Mark.

Min was already in the room sitting on her desk, typing word on her laptop. Probably for her assignment. She looked at them and gave a slight nod acknowledging them.  Mark picked one of Hana’s books on her bookshelf and threw himself on her bed as usual.

8 PM. There was a knock on the door. Min stared at the door. She looked weirdly at Hana and Mark. “Do you have any more boyfriends coming?”

Mark walked to the door and opened it. Jia was standing there smiles prettily. Her eyes were never leaving Mark. Min was puzzled. Did she invite her here? Hana’s trying to keep a straight face.

“What are you doing here?” Min asked her.

“Oh. I just walked by and want to say hi.” She smiled, still staring at Mark. “Can I come in?”

Jia’s hand slightly pushed Mark chest asking him to give her some space to enter the room, more like touching him on purpose. Hana swore that the muscles on all over her face were tensed. Her skin felt drawn and tight. She tried so hard to maintaining her poker face. She was fuming with exasperation.

Mark sat back at Hana’s bed continuing reading his book. Jia’s walked to Min side. There was an awkward silence, Min could felt that. Jia was still smiling. Doesn’t hurt? It sure does look hurt as hell.

“Come, let’s go out.” Min pulled Jia’s hand trying to get her out of the room. She seemed to be reluctant. “I’m starving. We’re going to dinner hall now.”

Jia sighed and followed Min. She didn’t forget to wave goodbye gleefully at Mark. Mark’s politely returned it with a smile. Jia doesn’t even look at Hana since she stepped in the room. As if she was not there. Like a stone, a small one.

There was a long silence in the room.

“Hey, Mark.” He raised his eyebrows staring at her. “Jia asked for your number. Should I give it to her?”

Please say no. Please say no. Please. She chanted in her mind.

“Yeah, she’s already asked.” Mark stared at her long. Please don't give it to her. Please don't. Please.“I gave her mine already.”

“Oh.” She forced a smile. “I think she’s into you.”

“Maybe.”

What the hell was that maybe for? Is it okay for her to like him? Is it not? Is it okay for him to like her back?

 Somewhere inside her brain was exploding.