tears

forbidden; perfect

When Momo is eliminated, the dam in Sana’s chest immediately crashes open and she can't stop her sobs from breaking out. In front of her, she sees Momo’s shoulders shaking, and she knows Momo’s trying to stay strong, and her own tears are unstoppable. As soon as JYP steps away, she rushes over to comfort Momo. From the side, she sees Mina running over as well, face streaked with tears. And it hurts her so so much, to see the two she loves the most to be crying so heartbreakingly.

Sana has only seen Mina cry twice. The first time, Mina was so homesick she had jolted awake from her nightmare, and she cried all the way from her dorm room to Sana and Momo’s. That was when they realized that as cold and city girl-like Mina seemed, she was still a vulnerable child beneath her hard exterior. Sana had felt incompetent as a girlfriend and an unnie, and promised that the two of them would be her family here. Sana hoped to never see Mina cry again. That was the first night the three slept together in one tiny twin-sized bed, and they stayed tangled every night since then until the survival program started.

The second time Sana had seen Mina cry, it was when Sana was so sick and stressed she had fainted during practice. When she woke up in the hospital, Momo was on her left, sleeping with her cheek resting on the hospital bed. Mina, sweet fragile Mina, was on the other side, holding her hand and staring at her, worry etched into her brows. The moment they made eye contact, Mina’s hard gaze quivered and she broke down, crying and blubbering and sniffling at Sana for not resting enough and making her worry. Sana didn’t say much, didn't know what to say with the emotions blooming in her chest, but she reached for Mina’s neck and brought her head down to press a hard kiss. They broke apart, chests heaving, and Sana her cheek, whispering “I Iove you” over and over again because those words explained everything she needed to say. Momo had woken up and smiled contently, taking Sana’s free hand and rubbing it with her thumb as she watched her two lovers comfort each other. Sana vowed yet again, she'd never give Mina a reason to cry.

But when she sees the tears freely flowing down Mina’s face, she feels as if she’s broken yet another promise. And out of everything, she wishes Momo’s elimination wasn’t the reason behind it.

And especially, out of everyone, she wishes this didn’t happen to Momo. Their Momo, who deserves the best because she is the best.

They don’t let go of Momo, with Sana cradling Momo’s head and Mina tucking her face into Momo’s shoulder, the three of them crying together. Sana knows the other girls are whispering teary encouragements to Momo as well, but she doesn’t notice. At the moment, she wants the world to only be of the three.

 

Momo doesn’t say anything when all of them finally break apart from the huddle to go change out of their stage outfits.

 

“Is Momo unnie okay?” Tzuyu asks quietly. Sana didn’t expect anything from her, but she supposes that they have gotten closer since resolving their group conflicts earlier on.

 

Sana purses her lips, feeling helpless. “She’s with Chaeyoung and Jiwon somewhere. I’ll talk to her later tonight.”

 

Tzuyu nods. “Of course. You’re her...best friend.”

 

There’s a pause, a slight hesitation before the careful phrase, and Sana momentarily wonders if the others know what’s going on between her and Momo and Mina.

 

Before they leave to go back to the dorms, Sana finds Mina and presses a key for the Minor dorm in her hands.

 

“Sneak out. Come later tonight,” she whispers. Mina nods.

 

When they return to the dorm, Momo heads to their shared room and shuts the door before Sana can follow in. Sighing, she reaches for the doorknob, but she doesn't turn it. Knowing Momo, she'd need some alone time to let out her emotions. Sana doesn’t know how long she stands outside of the room; she’s aware of the other girls passing by wordlessly, but they have a mutual understanding that Sana will take care of Momo and herself. Sana wonders if she’s actually capable of taking care of Momo.

 

A soft hand suddenly presses tenderly against the small of her back and she doesn’t have to look to know that Mina is here.

 

“Hey.” Mina’s voice is soft, warm, laced with concern and affection, and it’s enough for Sana to spin around and wrap her arms around Mina’s neck.

 

Mina’s returns the hug, one gentle arm around Sana’s waist, the other going up to Sana’s hair.

 

They don’t say anything for a while, just standing there.  

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Sana doesn’t look up from Mina’s neck when she says this, but she knows Mina is waiting, attention unwavering.

 

“I’m sorry I made you go down to Minor. I know we’re worried about Momo, but I’m worried about you too. I’m so sorry. You deserve it more than I do and-”

 

Mina jerks Sana up by the shoulder, forcing them to look at each other. Mina’s gaze is smoldering.

 

“You’re not allowed to say that,” Mina says firmly. “We promised each other we wouldn’t do this to each other. It’s fair competition, and it won’t get in the way of how we love one another. As long as it’s fair play, there are no apologies.”

 

Sana’s lips quiver, and she hides her face in Mina’ neck again as tears threaten to fall out.

 

Mina’s voice drops softer. “I love you, you know that. I love both of you. We’re not going anywhere.”

 

Moments like this, Sana forgets who’s the older one. But like always, she doesn’t doubt what Mina says.

 

Mina presses a last kiss to Sana’s temple. “Let’s go in. Momo needs us the most right now.”

 

They let go of each other, and gingerly push the door open.

 

Momo, leaning lifelessly against the bed frame, doesn't look at them, or say anything, but instead they see clothes strewn across the beds and toiletries in the open suitcase.

 

Sana speaks up first. “What...are you doing?”

 

Momo doesn't answer immediately. “Packing,” she says, her voice apathetic.

 

Sana mentally slaps herself. Of course Momo would be packing - she has to return to the regular trainee dorms already tomorrow. That brings another ache of pain to her chest.

 

Mina tries a different approach, pulling Sana with her, and they crawl on the bed to settle on each side of Momo.

 

“So…” Mina chews on her lower lip. “What are you going to do next?”

There’s a long silence before Momo speaks up. “I don’t know. I’m tired. Maybe I shouldn’t try this anymore. Maybe I should give up.”

 

“No.”

 

Momo finally turns her attention to Mina and raises an eyebrow ever so slightly.

 

Mina grits her teeth. “You’re better than either of us. Even after this, you’ll still make it. There are so many chances. You will debut.”

 

“You,” Momo’s voice comes out gruff, shakes with some raw emotion Sana can’t pinpoint. “You don’t understand. You’re not constantly getting beaten by some kid six years younger than you but more talented in PD-nim’s eyes.”

 

“Momo-”

 

“You haven’t even trained for a year yet you've gotten so lucky,” Momo lowers to a whisper, as if she’s afraid what she’s going to say next, but it’s already at the tip of her tongue. “You wouldn’t understand.”

 

Mina visibly winces, the corners of her eyes stinging. Sana recognizes the emotions stirring in Momo - jealousy, bitterness, disappointment. Disappointment in herself. She had felt the same when her original debut plans fell through, when Cecilia and Lena left and Momo tried to comfort her.

 

Sana pushes Momo - hard - against the bed frame.

 

I understand.” She chokes on her words, tears spilling out again when she thought she had no more tears. “I understand. I’ve gone through it all. And you-” She punches Momo’s arm with each word. “-have no right to say that to Mina.” Momo doesn’t look her in the eye.

 

“Don’t do this to yourself,” Sana sobs. We can’t promise you anything, but things will get better.”

 

Momo finally breaks, throwing herself over Mina. “I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry, Mina.” Momo becomes a blubbering mess, and through Sana’s tear-streaked vision, she knows Mina has already forgiven Momo.

 

“I didn’t mean what I said. You’re right- You’re always right.”

 

Mina leans in and kisses Momo. “I love you,” she murmurs.

 

“I love you. I love you so much.” Momo chants, pressing wet kisses on Mina’s lips, her cheeks, neck. “I love you, I love you, I love you.”

 

Overwhelmed by the show of pure love in front of her, Sana dazedly tucks a strand of hair behind Momo’s ear and delicately les along her neck.

 

Sighing softly, Momo breaks apart from Mina, who gazes at them fondly beneath her hooded eyelids. Bringing Sana’s lips to hers, Momo kisses her equally with just as much affection. “I love you too.” Sana has no reason to not believe those words.

 

That night, Sana and Mina worship Momo’s existence; leaving hot, passionate kisses along the span of Momo’s skin - her lips, her neck, her collarbones, her pelvis, her legs, her ankles. In the morning, Momo can still feel the hot imprints of her lovers’ tender touches along her body. It doesn’t change anything, but in that moment, it’s enough.

 

They don’t know what will happen in the future, but for now, only they matter.