Fin

여기까지 (For Now)

It was Saturday evening and Wendy entered the café to meet with her current boyfriend, Eric Nam. Once she spotted him, she smiled at him and made her way towards him. However as she was about to reach where he was sitting at, she noticed a familiar figure sitting at the table just beside his. It was Irene, her ex-girlfriend, looking as beautiful as ever.

They had broken up a few weeks days ago, with Irene saying to her that she would find someone prettier than her and who would love her more than Wendy ever did. She regretted breaking up with her, there was no doubt about it. Every day passing without the older girl by her side felt endless and Wendy could not stop herself from thinking about Irene even though she had Eric by her side, it still did not feel right.

 

♪ Hey baby baby

I think you’re right ♫

 

Wendy saw someone was also sitting in front of Irene. It was a girl, judging from her hair pulled back into a ponytail and her delicate neck showing up. Irene then seemed to notice her but Wendy could not read the girl's expression when she saw her. It felt strange not being able to read the older girl.

 

♪ The girl standing next to you and smiling

I think she’s really pretty ♫

 

"Hi." Irene calmly greeted her, before turning to the girl next to her. "This is Wendy, my... best friend." Irene introduced her and although Wendy would have liked to think she heard Irene hesitating, she knew the latter did not. Ther was no way she did.

"Hello ! Nice to meet you ! I'm Seulgi !" The said girl cheerfully greeted her and Wendy suddenly felt insecure being in front of such a beautiful girl. Wendy found her more beautiful than she was and chuckled at her own stupidity. Why would she even feel so insecure when Irene did not belong to her anymore ?

"Yeah, erm... And this is Seulgi, my girlfriend." Irene said while smiling and putting her arm around the said girl and Wendy could feel her heart break into million pieces although she had already suspected who the girl standing next to Irene was.

 

♪ For a while

We thought we fit really well together ♫

 

Wendy suddenly wondered how Irene could have replaced her so quickly - although it had already been several weeks since they parted ways and she had also found someone. But Wendy knew, deep inside, she could not forget the other girl. She had constantly been in her mind and she could not do anything about it, she was sure of it. 

 

♪ But I think the person next to you right now

Is better ♫

 

"Are they your friends, Wendy ?" A male voice asked from behind her, it was Eric who also stood up as he saw Wendy did not come to him.

"Hello, I'm Irene. Wendy's bestfriend." Irene said once again, more confidently. "This is my girlfriend, Seulgi. And you are ?" She asked and Wendy saw Irene's eyebrows furrowing a little. 

 

♪ When you introduced me as your best friend

I hated myself for just smiling ♫

 

"I'm Eric, Wendy's boyfriend. Nice to meet you." He nodded towards them as a greeting.

"Nice to meet you !" It was Seulgi who responded with a smile, not sensing anything that was happening between Irene and Wendy.

 

♪ Your smile that I used to know

You, who used to hold my hand

Now I’m not next to you anymore ♫

 

"Maybe we can sit altogether as a double date, right ?" Eric said and Wendy as well as Irene nodded reluctantly. They then sat at the same table with mostly Seulgi and Eric doing the talking.

Wendy could not stop herself from closely observing Seulgi who seemed to be around her age. The latter had not stopped smiling from the start and Wendy knew it was genuine. And she supposed her feelings towards Irene were also genuine. Maybe the girl would do a better job at making Irene happy than she had ever done. 

 

♪ She seems pretty, she seems nice

Just as you said ♫

 

Wendy then moved her gaze towards Irene who seemed to be enjoying whenever Seulgi would talk and she could not help feeling hurt inside when she saw Irene's smile.

 

♪ You seem good, you seem comfortable

More than when you used to be with me ♫

 

Still, Wendy to manage a smile once a while so that Eric would not sense anything weird with her and so that Irene would think she was also happy.

 

♪ Honestly, it hurts a little

Though I’m smiling in front of you

Baby i’ll be Okay 

There’s so much to say but I’ll stop here ♫

 

 

 

 

Irene clearly knew it herself, breaking up with Wendy was the worst decision she had made during her 25 years of existence. She made a mistake and could not do anything about it, she had too much pride to go back to the other girl.

So when she found herself in front of her, she could not help feeling nervous as she was not ready to face the said girl yet.

 

♪ Baby baby

 

I think you’re right ♫

 

"Hi." She greeted Wendy and hoped she did not sound as awkward as she was feeling at the moment. She then noticed the confused face Seulgi was making so she turned towards her. "This is Wendy, my... best friend." Irene introduced her ex-girlfriend, trying to hide the hesitation in her voice. It seemed so strange and unfamiliar, nearly unreal to say it.

"Yeah, erm... And this is Seulgi, my girlfriend." Irene tried to say without shivering since she wanted to appear strong in front of Wendy.

Irene's mind had been filled up with thougts of Wendy for the past few weeks. Although she had met Seulgi to try to forget Wendy, she knew it was useless. 

 

♪ The person next to you right now

Can’t fill you up ♫

 

Seulgi also sung and played the guitar, just like Wendy did. But somehow, she could not sing and play as well as the latter. Seulgi would also joke aroung just like Wendy did but her jokes could not beat even the worst joke the latter had said.

 

♪ I thought my days without you would be fine

But when I see myself looking for someone like you

I don’t think I got over you ♫

 

Irene still felt her hands trembling and sweating when she looked at Wendy.

 

♪ I don’t know why I’m being like this

Why did I call you out here like a fool? ♫

 

"Are they your friends, Wendy ?" The man who was previously sitting at the table next to theirs spoke up.

"Hello, I'm Irene. Wendy's bestfriend." Irene introduced herself, feeling more confident than ever. 

 

♪ I can’t call you anything else but a good friend now

But I still look for you and I hate myself for that ♫

 

"This is my girlfriend, Seulgi. And you are ?" Irene asked, her eyebrows furrowing and betraying her confidence.

"I'm Eric, Wendy's boyfriend. Nice to meet you." He nodded towards them as a greeting and Irene could not help feeling jealous. He was in a relationship with her when she was not anymore.

"Nice to meet you !" It was Seulgi who responded with a smile, not sensing anything that was happening between Irene and Wendy. 

 

♪ She seems pretty, she seems nice

Just as you said ♫

 

"Maybe we can sit altogether as a double date, right ?" He said and they all agreed.

They decided to sit altogether and Irene could not do anything apart from nodding to them. Irene spared some glances to Wendy and could not help the pain in her heart as she watched her. However, she tried her best to form a smile on her face. 

 

♪ You seem good, you seem comfortable

 

More than when you used to be with me ♫

♪ Honestly, it hurts a little

 

Though I’m smiling in front of you ♫

 

She had so much things she wanted to say to her but decided it was not the good moment to say it. Heck, she did not know if she would ever say all the things she had wanted to say to her.

 

♪ Baby i’ll be Okay

 

There’s so much to say but I’ll stop here ♫

 

They all exited the café before saying good bye to each other. Seulgi and Eric were already making their way towards their respective cars. Besides, Irene and Wendy were also about to go when the two of them stopped in their tracks and turned around, facing each other. They did not dare looking in each other's eyes, in fear of shattering all the act they had done until now. 

 

♪ Are you okay?

Can’t you see?

I’m right in front of you ♫

 

But suddenly, Irene and Wendy looked at each other in the eyes and time seemed to stop once again for the both of them. It seemed like they were thinking the same thing at the moment.

 

♪ Are we over? Are we just friends?

I’m hurting so much right now ♫

 

But still, they decided to go their own ways and not to continue with each other although it truly hurt for the both of them.

 

♪ Honestly, when I see you

I still shake but

Yeah, I’ll say good bye ♫

 

♪ There’s so much to say but I’ll stop here ♫