Braces and Short Hair

A Life Based on True Story

“Hey, wake up, Hyung! It’s morning already.” Joonyeol rubbed his wet hair with a towel. He had just finished his shower. Jinsook groaned from inside the blanket. “Come on, you said you’re going home. I’m not giving you breakfast, you know?”

“Ugh.. What time is it?” Jinsook grunted, refusing to open his eyes.

“It’s 8.30. You’re late.” Joonyeol walked out from his, room, heading to the kitchen. “Come on, get up, hyung!” He yelled again.

Ding dong! The bell rang. Joonyeol walked to the door and opened it.

“Ready yet?” a man in a sports tank, shorts, cap and running shoes asked. “What the hell? Why did you shower when we’re going for a run?”

“Did we make plan?” Joonyeol turned to the kitchen as the man followed. He opened the fridge and grabbed a milk bottle. “Juhan-ah, catch this!” He pulled out an apple and throwed it to the man. He drank the milk from the bottle and l pulled out a jug of orange juice, then served it in a glass for his guest. For a single man living alone having a male guest, he was the type that holds on to manners. 

“Yes. We did. You said you missed running with me. Do you know how long since the last time we run together?” Junah catched the apple and bit it. “Did you.. Did you forget or did you just make another plan other than this? Woah, I can’t believe this. You’ve changed so much, haven’t you?”

Joonyeol just smiled and sat by the dining table, spreading butter to his bread to make a sandwich.

“Wha- What the hell, man? You really are a different person now. Not even answering, huh?” Juhan mumbled. Just then a yell was coming from inside the bedroom.

“I KNOW, I KNOW! WHY WOULDN’T I KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS NOW? HOW MANY TIMES SHOULD I TELL YOU?? I WASN’T DRUNK! I’VE TOLD YOU I’M AT JOONYEOL’S. YOU KNOW HE HAS TERRIBLE NIGHTMARES, WHY WOULDN’T I COME? I’M COMING HOME LATER, GODDAMMIT.” The yell stopped for a while and continued with a gentle voice. “Ne, yeobo. See you later, okay? I love you~”

Jinsook came out from the bedroom. He scratched his messy hair and yawned. He waved to Juhan, throwed his phone to the dining table and sat.

“Looks like someone is in trouble again, huh? Hahaha..” Juhan said. Joonyeol chuckled while eating his sandwich. “Stop it. You’re starting to look like an eighth grader girl. It’s gross.”

“Oh, my poor life. What did I see in that woman when I proposed her?! Well, sure she was the hottest girl in Gangnam but how didn’t I see that monster coming out of her?? Oh, jinjja. This drives me crazy. I’m having an headache. Aish!” Jinsook rubbed his face roughly. Then he grabbed another slice of sandwich from Joonyeol’s plate. “What? What did this psycho do again? He hums love songs, yet?”

“I don’t know. Did you guys drink too much last night? Is he still drunk?” Juhan asked Jinsook, pointing at Joonyeol who was still gobbling down his sandwich. 

“No, we didn’t. I didn’t see him bumped his head either. Want me to call a psychiatrist?” This time Jinsook grabbed a glass of orange juice placed before Juhan and gulped it down in no time. Juhan glared and pretended to hit the man to make him flinch. “Ya! I’m still a hyung! Show me some respect, won’t you?”

“You guys have a good meal! I’m going first~” Joonyeol rose from his seat and put his plate in the sink. He grabbed a cap from the table, slipped his phone in his pocket and headed out with a smile on his face, leaving his two friends speechless.

“Hyung, what’s with him, really? Look he didn’t bother our bickering, he turned down our plans, now he walked out smiling like that.” Juhan stopped eating his apple. He was looking at the shut door right after Joonyeol went out, worried.

“I’m not sure. He also didn’t complain when I took his food. Well, but he told me about that girl last night. That girl..” Jinsook paused and swallowed as Juhan’s eyes widened from expectation. “She’s back.” Jinsook put his sandwich on the table, scratched his underarm and then knee.

“What the- Really?! Han Soora?? She’s back? Woah.. Now, this is big news. Can you imagine if they- Ya! Hyung! Stop touching your food after scratching here and there! God, you’re the most disgusting!”

***

 

“HAN SOORAAAA! You mean girl! You don’t know how much I missed you, do you? Oh, my God.. You even got prettier! Guess the weather there suits your skin, huh?” Jina ran and hugged Soora as soon as she saw her, ignoring all the judging eyes and disturbed glances that were pointed right at her. People around them were mostly holding a bundle of paper, reading them and talking out the words written with various expressions and tones. Some others were sleeping or having an ear set plugged to their ears, maybe they were listening to music.

“Ya! Stop it! People are watching!” Soora grabbed the girl by the arm and dragged her out from the big lounge to the hallway. “But is it the big play again already? Woah.. I really was missing out, weren’t I?” she looked at Jina for a moment and hugged her immediately.

“I really really really really really really missed you!! Oh my God, my girl! So glad you came back!” Jina whined. She clung onto Soora’s arm warmly. “Yes next week is the big play! You’re going to come, right? Right? Right?” Jina jumped and leaned her face to Soora’s. Soora stepped backwards and covered her face.

“Well.. I can’t promise you anything. I still have many things to do..” Jina was quickly reacted to that. Her shoulders dropped and her mouth pouted. Soora was also quick to react to her best friend. “But I’ll call you whatever that is! We might grab a drink too after you’re done!” 

“Call! At least you promise me a drink, okay?” Soora smiled and nodded. “Now, let’s grab some coffee! Don’t worry they sell good chocolate here. There’s a new coffee shop downstairs. Everyone is a regular there. Because, you know, where else could we get anything to eat? The burger store was closed about six months after you left. It didn’t bankrupt, though. I heard the owner’s daughter was getting married to a rich man and they moved to countryside. But the ttokpokki place is still there! I bet you won’t recognize the taste! The ahjumma changed a few times because the ahjussi got divorced and remarried again. It’s just a weird weird world, isn’t it?”

Jina walked Soora to the stairs and, like always, unconsciously blabbed almost too much again. But Soora smiled widely. Just now she felt like home again. She thought that coming back to Korea was a stubborn decision, that it would only bring her old nuisances back. She wasn’t wrong. But she was sure that this kind of nuisance was one of many she kept longing to be back for.

***

 

Joonyeol entered the lounge, passing through the students with scripts on their hands. They were either so nervous or so focused that they didn’t even recognize a famous actor was present among them. He was glad, though. They reminded him of his old days. Those were the days when the lounge wasn’t this big. It was half size of the recent one. And it didn’t feel at all like a lounge. Sleeping bags were everywhere, especially on the days before the play. He was only involved in one play before, yet he felt the most attached to this room. He shared a lot of memories here. And in the middle of this nostalgic feeling Joonyeol was having, one man called his name. Loudly.

“Ya! Braces boy!” the man yelled from across the room. Joonyeol looked for the source of the sound and he quickly glanced at the man. He was a skinny middle-aged man, probably in his 50s or so, dressed in beige trousers and printed white T-shirt. His hair showed how he had aged, his eyes looked tired and he looked like he hadn’t shaved for a couple weeks. Joonyeol ran at him and hugged him. The people that were around started looking and whispering his name to each other.

“Director! This is such a great day to see you!” Joonyeol shook the man’s hand. He looked like he treasured this director so much that he grabbed his hand pretty strongly. “How have you been? I’m really sorry I haven’t been able to come lately.”

“Look at you, my braces boy! You grew up so well. Of course I am fine. Are you, too?” The Director smiled and when he smiled, it looked like all components in his face smiled along with his mouth. He had this friendly face. “I think I’ve seen your silly face a lot lately. In television and internet, too. I guess you’re getting famous, huh? What’s your name again?”

“Hahaha! It’s Joonyeol, Director! No, it’s nothing. I was trying out a few things so I really couldn’t spend my time here. I’m really sorry, Director. I should have kept in touch with you.” Joonyeol bowed a few times. The Director patted his shoulder.

“What are you sorry for? Are you my guardian? You should have go out there and try new things of course. I’m so glad seeing you grew nicely like this." Joonyeol bowed again to thank him. He was truly excited for meeting his old mentor he respected so much. “Actually I’m so glad seeing my old fellows grew well today. I met that short haired girl earlier. You know, that short haired girl whose hair was too short. Apparently her hair has grown long now. But I remembered her face, of course.”

Joonyeol was taken aback. He felt goosebumps all over his body.

“Do you mean.. Soora? Han Soora? You saw her today?” Joonyeol asked. The Director nodded. “When did you see her?”

“Right before I came here. I was downstairs getting some coffee and there she was, stood out like always. Hahaha.. Only us see her that way, right? She’s still pretty.” The Director sipped the coffee he was holding all along. Joonyeol was still lost of words. Although he knew what to do, he wasn’t really sure about doing it.  The Director then said again, “By the way, this year’s big play is next week. Some of your old friends are helping me with the productions. Even that guy, Kim Dongtae, he still plays a role. You should come and see if you’re free.”

“Of course, Director. I’ll make time!” Joonyeol answered, and then dazed again. He didn’t realize that The Director noticed it for a moment.

“Well, then. I should get going. The rehearsal is starting soon. Don’t you dare giving autographs and selfies here! My people shouldn’t be distracted by anything, including a visit from a national idol like you! Hehehe..” The Director smiled for a quick glance. Only in a flash his face changed into a cold-hearted expression. The people that were looking at them shocked a little and quickly get back to reading their scripts. Joonyeol bowed again as the man left.

He headed out too. Now downstairs.

***

“So that was how I met my current boyfriend. Cool, isn’t he? Hehe..” Jina blushed at her own words. Soora smiled. This girl never changed, she thought. “Ah, right. Where are you staying at now? Can’t you just move into my place?”

“How can I? I have an apartment. The one near Kyungwon High School. It is rather small, though. You know I hate cleaning. Haha..” Jina chuckled and sipped her vanilla latte. 

The coffee shop wasn’t so big. It smelled nice. Like coffee, of course. It was almost like the strong aroma filled the entire floor. The shop itself only had around 7 to 9 coffee tables with 3 or 4 chairs each. At the time less than half were occupied. But it seemed to be busy serving tired and sleepy people who were in need of their daily, or even maybe hourly, dose of caffeine. It reminded Soora of the old days. The coffee shop was not even there five years ago when she left. But those zombie-like people, she felt a tinge of connection to her past just looking at them. She was once a zombie too. The thought made Soora laughed to herself.

“What? Why are you laughing? Are you that happy seeing me again?” Jina made a cute face, quickly responded at Soora. Soora also quickly responded to her friend and nodded. “Aigoo, my cutiepieee~~ Should we get some dinner and eat out tonight? I’ll be done by 5pm. We can go after that.”

“I don’t think I can. I still have some things to organize at home. Sorry. But, by the way.. Jina-yah.. It’s 4.30pm now..” Soora showed her phone screen to Jina. The girl choked and jumped right away.

“HAN SOORA, I’M SORRY. IF I CAN’T MAKE IT NEXT WEEK, THE DIRECTOR KILLED ME, OKAY? TELL MY BOYFRIEND I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!” Jina shouted and ran upstairs, leaving smiling Soora behind.

Soora decided to go home. Just when she was about to get up, a man showed up and sit on Jina’s spot.

“Hello!” he said.

***

 

Joonyeol sat alone. As for now, it had almost been two hours. In this two hours, around four to five times people had approached his table and asked for selfies or autographs. He was wearing a black cap, grey T-shirt, and black shorts along with black Vans sneakers. His outfit was quite revealing for an idol to be at such a public place like this. But that was always his kind of idol, the one who just blends anywhere. 

Still, it bothered him about how the two girls across his table hadn’t noticed his presence at all. It wasn’t that he thought he was so famous nor he was being superior, but he thought they should at least have glanced a bit to his table when some girls was making those dolphin noises as they shook his hands.

Joonyeol put his chin on the table. His eyes were fixed at one girl on that table. The one who wore a white shirt, light blue jeans miniskirt, white sneakers and a white backpack behind. Her hair was tied with a black bow. He felt her presence was not any different from five years ago. Except now she was prettier. He kept thinking about going to that table, straight to the seat beside her and starting to chat with her. But he held back to give the two girls their time to catch up. 

He was getting sleepy. Yet, of course he’d rather ook at her from a distance like this than going to sleep. 

“HAN SOORA, I’M SORRY. IF I CAN’T MAKE IT NEXT WEEK, THE DIRECTOR KILLED ME, OKAY? TELL MY BOYFRIEND I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!”

He saw the other girl jumped from her chair and ran to the stairs. And before he lost his chance, he walked to that table and sat on the girl’s seat.

“Hello!” Joonyeol said brightly. He smiled showing his white teeth and slit eyes. On the other side, Soora freezed. “How are you doing? It’s been a long time.” Joonyeol said again.