A Reminder

The Real Him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re so lucky, Yoon-ah,” Junghee sing-sang as she looked at herself through the floor length mirror in their dorm room.

Yoon spat the toothpaste that turned to a foamy mess in before glaring at her best friend through the bathroom’s mirror.

“How is that lucky? I would trade my place to anybody, anytime!”

“That’s what I was saying to her. Ask Ms. Park that you’d teach him then. Tell her you have all the time in the world to do it. Ms. Park might consider it…If only you were as good as Yoon in English,” Minhwa said, teasing the girl who stuck her tongue out on her.

Yoon can’t help but quirk a small smile. This is one reason why she was glad to have them as her best friends. They could somehow turn her bad mood to a good one.

“What do you plan on doing then?” Minhwa asked, looking at her from the girl’s bed. She's always the first one to finish getting ready because she’s also the first to wake up among them.

“There’s no option, Min,” she sighed, “I have to teach him, no matter how much this is against my will. Even if I want to ditch him, it’ll just get me in trouble and getting in trouble isn’t worth it if it’s because of him.”

“For me, nope but for you, yes. That’s true. But I think you’re already in trouble just being his tutor, Jung Yoon,” Junghee said, giving her a soft worried smile and she sighed.

“Tell me what.”

Taeyong woke up to a headache. His phone was ringing loudly beside him and he blindly felt for it before swiping across the screen and putting it to his ears.

“Good, you’re awake. Just a morning call,” Jaehyun said on the other line and he could imagine the grin on his lips. He could hear Haechan whining and Mark laughing at the background. Then there was Yuta shouting for them to shut up because he still wants to sleep. He groaned. “You okay?”

“…Yeah. I’ll be down in twenty.” He hung up and dropped his phone, opening his tired eyes.

His dorm room was lit up by the sunlight that seeped through his grey curtains. He took his time to adjust to the light before pushing himself to sit on the bed. He rubbed his throbbing temple before checking his phone for any messages. When he found none, he dropped it back to his bed and stood up. He saw himself through the floor length mirror still in his school uniform and he let out a sigh as he dragged himself to his bathroom. This was already a morning routine for him. Living alone in a dorm room compared to his other friends, he would always wake up alone. There was no people arguing about who goes to use the washroom first or anybody to wake you up with noise. It was a very typical morning for him, and he wasn't complaining but he wondered how it would feel.

He probably never would. Not until he stops talking in his sleep. 

He took a quick bath before throwing himself in another set of clean uniform. He fixed the sheets on his bed before exiting his room. He combed his damp hair with his hand as he got himself a glass of water. Drinking, he was reminded of what happened just the day before and he bit his bottom lip. He remembered telling the girl that they will start the tutoring that day but he knew better that he doesn’t even care about his English grades and he can’t even remember why he even asked for it in the first place.

Right, he thought, groaning at the reminder of the incredulous scene that he made. He washed the glass he used before drying his hands and walking to his bag which was still on the couch where he’d left it the night before.

"What am I supposed to do now? Great. Just great Lee Taeyong.”

Grunting, he went down to the lobby.

She had already expected it, so when she opened her locker when they reached school to get some things she needed for their class, she wasn’t surprised to see it trashed.

“This is too much,” Junghee said, frowning at the sight.

“You should tell the teachers about this,” Minhwa said sporting the same expression as she peered inside Yoon’s locker.

Yoon sighed as she started pulling out the crumpled papers and dirty wrappers and dump it at the nearby trashcan. When she looked up, her eyes met with the girls who she was sure was the culprit behind it. One of them is Kim Ha Eun, the most popular female student in their school for being hailed the prettiest and best ballet dancer and Lee Taeyong’s admirer.

Despite how lady-like her name sounded and how the boys population thinks she’s so nice and the perfect epitome of an angel, girls knew better than to mess with her. She might not do it herself, saving herself from trouble, but she has a lot of lackeys to do it for her, so she gets out of things scot free as well, aside from holding quite a name herself.

“That b*tch. Let me give them a piece—“ Junghee was ready to run and pounce on the girl when Yoon stopped her, holding her on her arm.

“It’s not worth it, Hee,” she said, shaking her head.

“But—“ Minhwa shook her head at her as well and she huffed, crossing her arms.

“It’s not like giving them a piece of your mind would make them stop. It’ll just make everything worse,” she said as she finally finished emptying her locker of unnecessary trash. A single piece of paper was stuck on the front of the first book in her locker, with the words, ‘Watch out’ written with red lipstick.

She snorted. “What a waste of lipstick.” Her friends can't help but laugh.

“You know, if only they know that you are Jae—“ Yoon clamped her hand to Minhwa’s mouth, hushing her.

“You’re too loud!” She said before Minhwa was able to push her hand away.

“Why! It’s true! If they find out whose sister you are, and twin sister at that, they will all be fawning over you, kissing up your —“

Yoon cringed. “Ew.”

“—just to hope that you’ll help them,” Minhwa finished, scowling.

It has been more than one year and they’re just a year away from their last year in high school but no one aside from Jonghwa, her two girl best friends, and Jaehyun’s best friends, knows that they are related. She knew it was better that way because like Minhwa said, students will start befriending her just to ask her about her brother or his friends for that matter, since they’ll assume that she’s probably the closest girl to them, being the sister of . It wasn’t hard hiding the fact because they didn’t look that identical, and personality and talent wise, they were very different. The only similarities they have are their eyes and their pale skin. Even her wavy hair is a stark difference to Jaehyun’s very straight ones.

She knew and understood them but she’d rather be nobody than be an instrument to other people’s wants.

“That’s exactly why they shouldn’t know. I don’t like the idea of fake friends and drawing attention to myself,” she said, giving them a tight-lipped smile before closing her locker.

“Whatever. I still think that’s way better than having people treat you this way,”Minhwa said, shrugging.

“On a side note, I think you don’t need Jaehyun to draw attention. All you need is Taeyong,” Junghee said in a very soft voice, and she was right. It hasn’t even been twenty-four hours but she’d already become famous.

And that was obvious with the whispers and the looks she received as she walked through the corridors to her classroom, her best friends wishing her good luck as they entered their classroom before hers since they belonged to different sections.

She knew her days in school wouldn’t be ever the same.

Her eyes landed on the empty seat at the back beside the windows across the classroom from the entrance and she glared.

It’s all because of that jerk!

The day passed by with unnecessary stares and whispers whether she is sitting down in class or walking down the corridors. She can’t even escape it even in the comfort room. So her last sanctuary was a corner in the library where students doesn’t frequent in during breaks.

She tried to mentally prepare herself the night before and told herself that she shouldn’t let others affect her in any way because first of all, she didn’t even do anything wrong but obviously it was harder said than done. After all, she hated being the center of attention, a reason she even had to tell Jaehyun to keep their real relationship hidden from everyone.

She skipped all breaks to stay there, knowing she didn’t need to give an excuse to her friends who would understand her. It wasn’t like they always join for lunch breaks or any other breaks for that matter since they belong to different classes so they could have some stuff they had to do with other students and besides, they also have other friends. Only that she doesn’t besides from Jonghwa. She used to have a few acquaintances i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter