His Smirk

The Real Him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Aren't they just so handsome?" Her best friend, Junghee, swooned, hands clasped to her chest.

She sighed, shaking her head to herself.

It was that time of the month again.

The auditorium has been occupied since the start of the day for the monthly assessment which was held every last Friday of the month, with all students from the Department of Dance, Music and Theater perform. The practical exam has been running since early that morning, with the Theater students coming in first in the morning, followed by Music, and now, Dance. 

Currently on the stage were the most popular seven boys of the campus dancing to perfection in front of a panel of teachers. Since it was the dance department performing and it was those boys, it was needless to say, the area was filled to the brim with almost all the student population and a handful of teachers who had given up reprimanding and kicking students out to their classroom for study hall period, coming to watch. Punishing them wouldn't even be an option as it would mean punishing more than half the students and that would be more troublesome.

Despite Yoon's protests every time, she would still find herself being dragged out of the classroom, an hour before study hall ends. It had been like that for over a year now and more or less, Yoon had already gotten used to it, although it didn't mean she totally liked being there, because that would never happen, not with a particular silver-headed boy being among the performers.

She was just thankful that at least, she could focus her eyes on someone, just enough reason to be there every time. Her eyes met her twin brother's and she gave him a smile in exchange to his grin.

"How could they be so perfect?" Minhwa quickly added after, eyes shooting hearts.

"Nobody's perfect," she said, quick to rebut her, earning a pout from her best friends. She smiled unaffectedly before turning on her heels and heading towards the doors, just as the music died and a loud applause coupled with squeals and hoots replaced it.

She heard her best friends coming after her a few seconds later, Junghee hooking her arm to hers and Minhwa walking at the girl's other side.

"You're so mean," Junghee frowned and Yoon grinned.

"I know."

Junghee scoffed playfully. "Whatever. Be thankful you are my best friend," Junghee narrowed her eyes at her and Minhwa snorted a laugh beside them. 

"I am," she pressed a smile and Junghee snorted.

Students came trickling soon after and Yoon hurried her friends, excited to call it a day and go home.

She could still remember the first time she saw him walking in class late and the teacher not even saying anything about it on her first day of classes on her first year in SOPA.

She was just a new student from America where she and her brother stayed for the whole of her last four middle school years since her parents believed that they would learn English better there and the educational system isn't so bad either. She returned rather later than Jaehyun so she missed a bit of the first few weeks although it was handled by her parents so there weren't any problems. Back then, the boy had already made quite a big name for himself which amused her for it had barely even been three weeks through their first year and not to mention, they were all incoming students.

She knew they wouldn't get along, after that incident, but she tried to give the boy a chance, because 'maybe he just had a bad morning' and because she found out later that day when she was walking to the cafeteria that Jaehyun was friends with him as he saw them together, but when it just kept on happening on a regular basis, she knew the boy either have a serious time problem or he was just showing off how he practically owns half of the school. Ever since then, she told herself to not associate herself with the guy since the rumors of him being arrogant and stuck-up seemed to be true, and that is something she hates when it comes to people, although what truly angered her was how the boy practically ignored her after greeting him in the halls one time which obviously embarrassed her as a handful of students was there to witness it. She was just lucky the gossip about it died in a few days since she was practically a nobody, although she received quite a bit of tormenting for a day from his so-called fan girls.

Which made her hate him more.

Now a year has just passed and despite the efforts of avoiding the said boy, it was hard because he somehow just pops out everywhere, even in her own home as her parents almost always invites him over during the weekends when most students go home from the dormitories. He was practically a part of the family now, no matter how much she hated to admit that.

"Jung Yoon-ah." She hummed in reply, busy checking what she would bring home and leave in the dorm. "Is the Prince coming over at your place again?" Junghee asked, plopping herself on the her bed. The words reminded her of what Jaehyun told her earlier in the day and she didn't try to hide her dismay as she scrunched her nose up.

"Do you even have to ask that, Junghee?" Minhwa said, chortling.

Junghee shrugged, a grin painting her lips as she inched closer to Yoon, making the girl withdraw her head back, looking at the girl increduously.

"What?"

"One picture, please?" Her friend asked, putting up her index finger and Yoon sighed, pushing her friend's hand away.

"You already know the answer to that," Yoon replied, glancing at her friend with an unapologetic sad smile before returning to her bag and zipping it up. Junghee scowled, hopping off of the bed and going to hers. Minhwa just chuckled. She knew that no matter how much Junghee would nag at Yoon, the girl wouldn't budge at all. Luckily, even if she does admire the seven boys, it was only up to that or else she might find herself doing the same.

When they've gathered all their things which wasn't much, just their school bag containing some weekend homework to do and study, they walked out their room, turning off the lights on the way. They were only the ones in the elevator and Junghee gave it another try until they reached the lobby with Yoon still shaking her head.

"Why do you even hate him that much? I mean, I know he ignored you greeting him before but he does that to everyone," Junghee asked, frowning down at the girl. 

Yoon groaned inwardly. She knew that and that's the problem about it. He acts all high and mighty to even return a greeting. He doesn't even give a smile.

"You know why, Hee. He's acts all superior and arrogant. He's a stuck-up jock who doesn't give a damn about others than himself. Just because he is the son of the director, he thinks he could do all he pleases, it pisses me off. I mean, he's also just a student like us and we get punished if we did wrong but he always gets out off it scot free. I don't even know why you guys like him. What is there to even like about him? Nothing!" Yoon rambled on and on, ticking everything she hates about the boy with her fingers, not noticing the look of horror on her best friends' faces as they tried to give her signals by nudging her at her side and even mouthing 'shut up'. It was only later when she saw the look of exasperation on Junghee and Minhwa's faces that she paused and asked, "What?"

Junghee grabbed her arm and nodded to something behind her and she need not look to know what, or rather, who it was. She felt her heart stopping, her breath hitching to before she let it out with a cough. "A-As I was saying..." The topic of discussion continued playing on his phone, as if nothing happened. He didn't even spare them a look as usual and it annoyed Yoon more. She groaned.

"Oh, Yoon you're already here!" Jaehyun called, walking up to her and smiling at Junghee and Minhwa who melted at his smile. "Hi Yoon's friends."

"Hi," the two greeted. "Erm... We'll go ahead. We'll see you on Monday, Yoon!" Junghee said, giving the girl a sympathetic yet at the same time a teasing smile as she grabbed Minhwa's arm and pulled her away. 

When she was left with her brother and his pose of friends, including Taeyong, she felt her heart deflating. Regardless of how she tried to act like she wasn't fazed by the fact that the boy just heard everything she said, she knew she was in for some trouble, especially with the look Taeyong gave her when she found her eyes on him—the smallest hint of a smirk she wasn't sure was even there because the moment she blinked, it's gone.

Usually, her mom or dad would come and pick them up but since they have some work to finish and couldn't get them in time, they took the subway home which was about an hour travel. Yoon stood as far away from Taeyong as possible, meaning Jaehyun between the two of them. The subway was packed since it was a rush-hour so she didn't have a choice but to hold onto a pole and wait until a sit goes empty to get farther away from him. Althroughout the ride, she could feel a pair of eyes on her and she need not look to know who it belonged to. Not wanting to show him that she was affected, she looked at him and raised her eyebrows nonchalantly and the boy merely gave her a blank look before looking back to Jaehyun.

She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter