Chapter 1 - The need

Conditional

"98...99...100! Ready or not here I come!" I yelled out loud to what seemed to be an isolated garden. It was a beautiful garden which was donated to the orpahanage when I was a child. When I was recently added to the large number of girls who, like me, did not have any parents or anyone to look after them. I slowly walked through the garden being fully aware of my surroundings, knowing that if anything moved, it would give off their hiding space. I heard the distinct sound of a flower patch giggling and I smiled to myself. 

"Shhh Juen. Stop giggling. We are going to lose if you don't stop" A low whisper could be heard as I slowly approached the sunflower patch. I quietly moved the large stems out of the way seeing in the distance a group of little girls surrounding two girls who towered above them. One of them held her pointing finger to her lips indicating to the children to keep quiet while the other held a child in her arms. Both were smiling brightly at the children and my heart melted watching them. But the game must continue. I took a deep breath, quietly moving in on them and jumped in front of them. 

"Boo!" I yelled and the children screamed in delight and bursted out laughing. After the laughter had died down I led the group out of the sunflower patch. 

"Let's play again!" A small girl called out. I turned to her seeing the group of small girls and my teenage sisters gathering around me. 

"I'm sorry Nam but we must get back to the house before it gets dark" I relunctedly told her. I held Nam's hand and another little girl names Juen came and held my other hand . Nam was 9 years old and full of confidence and courage and Juen was full of compassion. Both girls were just babies when they joined the orphanage and I felt like their big sister as I helped and watch them grow up.  I looked over my shoulder  to see my sister Rae holding the smallest girl in her arms. Her name was Lulu and she was only 4 years old and recently joined us after her single mother died. Lulu was still new and adjusting to the orpahanage... it wasn't something that was easy to get use to. But from the smile on her face reciprocating my sister's, she must have been settling down well. My other sister Rimmi held hands with two other children. She sung their connected hands lifting the children slightly from the ground which made them laugh. I smiled and continued walking the girls back to the house. 

The orphanage wasn't a cold brick building but a wooden farm house on top of a large hill and was located on the outskirts of EXO city. From the house you could see miles and miles of agriculture land, forest and fields. In the far distance there was the highway where I could vaguely see cars driving in and out of EXO city. Sometimes I sit gazing at the cars knowing each passenger has their own story and within that story a reason to why they would leave or enter EXO city. The house was owned by Jung Victoria. A middle aged lady whom turned her house into an orphanage when she was young. Her husband has died very early into their marriage and in memory of him she turned their house into a well respected orphanage for girls. Her husband was an orphan and when she looked at us her heart warmed at the memory of him. She wanted to make sure orpahans like her husband had a bright future and a loving foundation. The orphanage was a part of a larger organisation where children would be sent to 1 out of 20 orphanages when they were deemed by society as an orphan. And this orphanage was one of 20 orphanages within the Oh organisaiton. The orphanage was home to 15 girls not including my sisters and I. The sun was setting behind us as we made our way up the hill where the house was located on top. We made our way inside the house and the children ran in all different directions to carry out their own activities. I watched Nam and four other girls run to the livingroom and the TV to watch their favourite TV show. I watched Juen and two other girls pick books from the book shelf and sat down in a cozy corner of the livingroom to read. I followed the 7 girls upstairs as they raced to their rooms. In one room 5 girls were playing with a large doll house and in the other room 2 girls had taken out paper and crayons and began drawing. I watched them in awe. How little they have but they seemed so happy as if they had it all. I had been there with these girls ever since they joined us. For some I was a bit too young to look after them but now I am mature enough to handle them as my responsibilties and yes, I am attached to these little girls. But girls must leave sooner or later. On the bright side I will ensure they have a future ahead of them. 

"Aeri, Rae, Rimi. Help me in the kitchen." I went downstairs after ensuring the girls were safe and accounted for. I joined my sisters heading into the kitchen to help auntie Victoria. Auntie Victoria was cooking on the stove while I was cutting the vegtables and my sisters were preparing the plates and cutlery. I was grateful that my sister's and I were allowed to stay together when we lost our parents. I had heard in many cases where sibilings were separated and placed in different orphanages and I knew my heart would not be able to bare the lost of my sisters too. I was even more grateful being placed with auntie Victoria. She became a loving mother figure to all the girls. The orphanage housed girls from 4 to 18 years old. I have watched girls come of age and leave the orphanage with a heavy heart but they had a bright future a head of them as each had somewhere else to be whether it be a job, university or even home to a husband. I remember Yoona who was 5 years older then me. She was 15 when she met the love of her life and married at the age of 18 and went to live with her husband. There were many other girls who followed in her path and it soon became acceptable to marry so young. When I turned 18 I was schedualed to be thrown out but I didn't want to leave my sisters and I loved the orphanage too much to leave. Auntie Victoria stayed by my side and allowed me to stay and gave me a job as her assistant within the orphanage - helping her take care of the girls as well as help out with the paperwork. I even attend university of EXO in the city during the weekdays as I am studying to be a pediatrician (children's doctor) while the girls are at school so I am very happy with my life. The girls and I ate and on scheduale at 10pm everyone had to be in their rooms. I went to each room ensuring that the girls were in their beds. I opened the door to one of the rooms. 

One room had 8 mahogany single beds with pink bedding. Each bed had been customied with toys and extra pillows. The girls in this room was aged 9-13. I made sure each girl was in their bed and bid them goodnight. When I entered the other room it was the same with 7 beds. This room has the younger ones 4-8 tucked in while auntie Victoria read them a bedtime story. I bid them a goodnight and made my way to my room which I shared with my sisters. I opened the door intruding on a conversation. 

"Oh my gosh he is soo cute." Rimmi said as she was joined by Rae on her bed as they giggled into a magazine. 

"Who is?" I asked entering the room and joining my sisters on Rimmi's bed. I looked at the magazine and written in large bold font was 'EXO's top 10 bachelors'. I heartedly sighed. Rimmi and Rae were my younger sisters who were twins. But you could easily tell them a part from their personalities and appearences. They were both 16 years old and in their late stage of boy fanatics. Rae was the eldest of the two. She was 15 minutes older than Rimmi and thus the maturest of the two. She is slightly taner than Rimmi and wore glasses. She was an avid writer and bookworm and her passion was to be a journalist. Rae was less confident and didn't like attention so she often liked to blend in with the crowd or sit at the back of the room. She was a people pleaser which was a blessing and a curse. Rimmi had a fair complexion and a child-like personality. She loved socialising and music, often listening on her phone. She was also keen on her beliefs and often spoke out her thoughts. She was out spoken and did not care what others thought about her. She believed in people getting what they deserved and through some work experience, she had her eyes set on being a lawyer. We were now the oldest in the orphanage and since I now work with auntie Victoria I had my sisters and I set up in our own room which was smaller than the other rooms since there was only 3 of us. Being much older than the other girls at the orphanage auntie Victoria thought it was fitting to have a room to ourselves and she did not see us leaving anytime soon after having formed a strong bond with her. 

I was proud of my sisters. We had lost our parents at a young age. I was 10 and they were 7 when the accident happened and we moved into the orphanage. It took us a while to settle in and sticking together helped us a lot. Other than school we were always together and helped each other through the hard times. We still haven't moved on from our parents death and through counselling once a week we slowly got use to the hole in our hearts and have accepted reality that it would always be there. We love our parents and despite them not being here, we want them to be proud of us as they are watching us in heaven. I am proud of the young women my sisters were growing up to be and I couldn't be happier. I took the magazine and read the first line. 

"Get ready girls as we reveal EXO's top 10 bachelors. God gave them everything and they can give a girl everything." I frowned reading this. Obviously the magazine were showing men with money and looks. But that is not everything. On the first page was a gorgeous man with an expensive tailored tux. But that was all he was. A pretty boy from a wealthy family. 

 

 

"Oh Sehun.." I began and my sisters squealed at the sound of his name and flopped on the bed while their legs kicking in the air. If I hadn't known better I would suspect a spasm or heart attack but my sisters were just showing signs of boy crazy. I continued reading. 

"... is the wealthiest drop dead gorgeous bachelor in Seoul. He is the only heir to Oh industries and the son of a well respected family. To say he is rich is an understatement as his family are billionaires and to say he is gorgeous is an insult to his face which God spent extra time creating. Not to mention his body which was sculpted by angels. The fact he is single mind boggles the population but what girl could live up to Oh Sehun, god, ladies man and activitst. Lets point out that he is a large benefactor to Oh industries orphanages and contributer and lead researcher to cancer research - that's right. A passionate scientist as well as a driven businessman. He is too good to be real and every girl's fantasy." I finished in shock. 

"That's right unnie. Oh industries. Oh Sehun is the reason behind this" Rimmi's hands flund across the room. I still couldn't believe it. I owe pretty boy's family a lot of gratitude. His family created the orphanages and is the reason behind my  happy life. Rae reached over and took the magazine from me. She laid down and analysed the picture of Oh Sehun. 

"Everything there is exagerated." I simply replied getting up and headed to my bed. I have had crushes during my life but I have my sisters, the orphanage and my future to look after. I don't have time for relationships or men for that matter. 

"Well, they did miss out that he is a total playboy" Rae pointed out in distaste. She went through the piles of magazines on Rimmi's bedside table and threw a couple at the end of my bed. I looked through them and found on the front cover of every magazine was Sehun with a diffeent girl. There were even some which he had more than one girl clinging on to his arm. And him seeming drunk with his arms around them. My face became sour seeing this. 

"Has no respect for himself or girls" I said still going through the magazines. I read a line out to them. 

"He may hold the record for most one night stands." I read, laughing. My disgust was still there but this was completely silly. 

"Yup, but not reports of him ever having a girlfriend" Rimmi states as she tucked herself in. 

"Despite him being completely gorgeous. Who would want to be his girlfriend? His bed would be invested with germs and I don't even want to think about his mouth and the amount of girls it has been on" Rae said as she tucked herself in and took her glasses off, placing the on the bedside table. This earned a growl from Rimmi. 

"Now now girls. Rae he has a differet life to us, therefore his social life and beliefs would be different to ours. We are in no place to judge. And Rimmi, this is an example of a guy who is no good. Be aware of these guys who will jump from one girl to another and leave you broken hearted." I warned her as I yawned feeling sleep take over me. The girls hummed in response and I knew then we were all drifting off to sleep. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the start of summer vacation and the girls finished having breakfast. The smell of the pancakes and bacon was still flowing through the air from the kitchen escaping out of the windows surrounding the house. I was outside with Juen, Nam and 6 other girls. The rest were inside reading or watching TV while auntie Victoria was cleaning up in the kitchen. As it was summer it was getting hot and so the girls wore either dresses or a shirt and shorts wearing sandals. I wore a dark blue summer dress that came to my mid thigh and a denim jacket. I sat on the steps of the house watching the girls play with hula hoops, skipping ropes and footballs. I had to keep an eye on them to make sure they were playing safetly while auntie was inside. 

 

I smiled seeing the girls play. They have had the most horrible thing happen to them and they felt so much pain but the gleam in their eyes never died out. I watched Juen, Chorong swing ropes while Naeun jumped. I looked over to see Ara and Mina playing with the hula hoops and Nam, Hyori and Danbi kick a football to each other. A sudden smell of gasoline filled my nose replacing the smell of breakfast. Then I could hear a car, the sound of its engines and moving on the bare ground. The sound becoming louder and the smell becoming stronger. It was easily detectable as the smell was usually of fresh grass but now was intoxicated by petrol. Then I saw it. A car, an expensive car. Ones that the wealthy drive headed towards our house. It was large, sleak, shiny and black with tinted windows. I stood up abruptly having my eyes fully focused on the on coming vehicle. Some of the girls looked towards me in confusion and followed my eyes to the car. The rope stopped swinging, the hula hoops stopped spinning and the ball was still. The girls all froze seeing the car. It wasn't just any car, it was a Rolls royce phantom one of the most expensive cars in the world. What would that kind of car be here? Maybe they were lost? My caregiving instincts kicked in. 

"Girls, get inside right now!" I called for them. They rushed towards me and I ushered them inside when Nam turned around. I stopped her by holding her hand, my eyes still on the vehicle. She turned to me and spoke softly. 

"Unnie, I left the football. The car will run over it" She said. I knew she loved that ball. She loved sports and when I gave her that ball for her birthday she never let it out of her sight. 

"I'll go get it. Go inside and call auntie Victoria." I bent to her eye level and held her shoulders. I gave her a reassuring squeeze and a soft smile then patted her inside the house. I walked down the steps of the house towards her football and held it in my hands when the car stopped in front of me. I stepped back when the front door opened. I suspected it was the driver from his attire. He went to the door behind and held it open for a elderly man to step outside. The tux he was wearing perfectly fitted his body and the material looked like heaven to touch. 

"May I help you?" I asked in a soft voice. He just stared at me as if inspecting me and it made me feel insecure. 

"What is your name?" The man asked. After he spoke he sounded friendly and less intimidating. 

"Song Aeri, and you are?" I spoke back in a more confident tone. The man smiled and he reached for my hand.

"Mr Oh Suho" The man said shaking my hand as the other held the football.

"As in Oh industries?" I asked and the confidence in me drained. He smiled at my recognition of him.

"Mr Oh, you are here?" Auntie Victoria spoke from behind me. Mr Oh let go of my hand and shook auntie's. 

"Yes, it is time" Mr Oh shortly informed her and she frowned. I looked behind him to the still open door seeing a man whom didn't seem eagar to come out anytime soon. I could hear another voice somewhere inside the vehicle talking to someone who I can't hear replying - most likely a phone call. 

"Come in, Aeri prepare some tea would you" Auntie instructed me and I hurried inside. Through the open door I saw the heads peered over of the other girls who were interested in the car outside. 

"Unnie, who is that?" Rimmi asked me and I could see the other girls ready to hear my answer. 

"Mr Oh of Oh industries" I replied filling the kettle with water and turning it on. I took out the tea bags, sugar and milk as well as some biscuits. Do these men eat biscuits? I had no time to think hearing multiple foots steps from the door way. I placed the kettle on a tray along with the other things. I could hear the footsteps pass the livingroom and I could hear gasps then the footsteps entering the dinning room. I held the tray and headed to the dinningroom when Rimmi stopped me. 

"Oh Sehun is here!" She said in a hushed voice.