These Pearly Gates Will Not Stop Me Part 2

Kim Taehyung, Divine Mess-Up

 

"I need your help."
Lucifer raises three of his six eyebrows at me, certainly amused as I stand before him. He sits on his throne in his newly built castle, an exact replica of his previous castle destroyed in the battle with Beelzebub. Frankly speaking, he'd done a pretty good job rebuilding the entire kingdom, especially since it had been practically razed to the ground only a few weeks prior, according to earthly time.
I guess he was eternal ruler of Hell for a reason.
"Since when have you ever turned to your father for help?" he hums.
"It's about Taehyung."
At that, Lucifer groans dramatically, leaning heavily against his throne as he practically sinks into his seat, his eyes closed.
"You haven't even heard -"
"I know what it will be."
I bristle, holding my tongue as I stare up at him. Had it not been for the dire need for his help, I would have already lashed out at him for interrupting me. There was only one person who I tolerated that from and he was currently being held hostage by some Holy beings.
"How would you know what I need?"
At that, Lucifer cracks an eye open.
"I don't. But knowing that it's about the Fifth Aamon, I will not be very amused."
"Daddy, Taehyung practically risked his life to help you!"
"And that is exactly my point, My Oldest One. The favour will be difficult, bordering on impossible."
I cannot help the feelings of disappointment lumping together at the back of my throat. If my father couldn't help me, no one else could. "You reject me without even seeking to ask what the favour is?"
Lucifer raises a hand. "Enough, Azazel. You are riding too high on emotion. Your blind assumptions will lead you nowhere."
He straightens this time, staring me down. "I owe the Fifth Aamon a very large favour, that I won't deny. And I repay my favours. That is one principle I have taught all my children to live by. But carrying out favours has limits. You know that I am very weak from ascending to Earth, battling the Fifth Aamon and fighting for my kingdom against your brother."
I fall quiet. He had a point. I knew he did. But I was too egoistic to acknowledge it.
"What is the favour?"
"I need to retrieve Taehyung from Heaven."
My father falls quiet at that, closing his eyes as he rests a large, clawed hand over his forehead. I think he's facepalming me.
"....and how do you plan to do that?"
"I am going to invade it and kill every Creation who dares lay a hand on him."
He straightens again, staring at me with all six eyes. He does not move for a full minute, merely staring as he judges whether I was serious.
"How do you know he even wants to leave?"
"Daddy, he was kidnapped!"
"Most souls that enter Heaven don't want to leave, Azazel. His mind might change." He sounds like he is speaking to a child, patiently trying to convince me from following my mission.
"He is not like other souls!" I bite back.
"He has family in Heaven, does he not? A pair of parents and twin siblings. Every soul is the same, Azazel. He will falter when he sees them. He will want to stay."
I hesitate. I knew he was right. Taehyung had been searching for his parents his whole life, until he'd known that it was I who had killed them. And then he'd abruptly stopped asking.
He would have wanted answers. He had been searching for them for so long. I'm sure he'd asked for them in Heaven.
"If he wants to stay in Heaven, I will back off. But I must be able to see with my own eyes that he is fine."
"It would be better for you to spend your time searching for his successor instead."
"I don't want to search for his successor!" I snap, hearing myself roar. Again, my father falls quiet, unmoving.
"Muse me with one question before I deliberate on your request."
I nod.
"What is he to you? Why do you risk so much for him?"
"That's two questions."
Lucifer shrugs. "Choose one to answer."
"Why is it any of your business?"
"Answer mine before I answer yours."
I bite down on the insult I want to throw to his face and look away.
"I owe him my life."
"You owe me your life too."
I whip my head back at him, truthfully deliberating whether it would be worth it to jump him and impale his stupid face with my sword.
"He is someone... precious to me."
"What."
"There is no way in Heaven, Hell and all that is in between that you did not hear me."
My father falls quiet again as he deliberates, his beard in an exaggeratedly faux thinking manner.
"No."
"NO?!" I feel an explosion of fire exuding from my very being as my sword materializes into my hand. I was going to kill him - then continue on my quest to find a way to get to Heaven.
"No. Because I have no power to do so."
The flames surrounding me extinguish almost immediately as I stare up at him.
"You should know by now, Azazel, that no offspring of mine will ever enter the Holy domain. That is our curse. God has made clear that even if we were to beg on our hands and knees, we would not be allowed in."
I clench my hands into fists in unconscious anger. I knew he spoke what he believed to be the truth. There would be no point getting angry.
"None - save you."
I raise my head, feeling the surprise on my face.
"I will make no promises, but your heritage might let you in. This is to say only momentarily, because at the end of the day, you are still my son."
"That's good enough. It'll just be a grab and go. How do I get in?"
Lucifer frowns, disliking my recklessness.
"You will need to request a favour from the One who walks the borders between the Earth and Heaven."
"That's it?" Easy. I had a person in mind.
"If you somehow manage to convince them to help you - and survive the ascension to Heaven, then yes. That's it. But I remind you that even then, the Angels will not take your presence well. You'll have to fight through armies to get to your little lover boy."
"He is not my little lover boy."
"Oh shut *up*," Lucifer groans, dramatically rolling his eyes. "Here. Take this."
He throws me a black sack which I manage to catch with one claw. It is filled with something long and sharp.
"What's this?"
"Your dagger. I'm returning it. With a few tweaks."
"Like what?" I open the sack, letting my dagger fall into my palm. It is no longer stark white, but a jet black colour with blue lightning streaks across the blade. Merely touching the blade sends sharp jolts of pain throughout my body.
"It will hurt some Angels."
I raise an eyebrow. "And what favour must I return?"
"None," he huffs. "You helped me defeat Beelzebub. This is me returning the favour."
I feel a sliver of a smile dance on my lips. "You are... helping me save the Aamon."
"No such thing," he practically roars back. "It will do me no good helping my prophesied enemy. Consider all favours returned."
"Consider that done," I reply, pocketing the item as I call on to my power, readying myself to leave. I hesitate at the last moment. "Thank you. I appreciate your help."
Lucifer does not reply as I teleport myself out of there.

"Please."
"No."
"Please?"
"No."
"Please!"
"Stop it!"
I hiss as the person before me raises his voice, practically snapping at me the way my sisters used to do when I annoyed them.
"You selfish fking b@stard with no sense of dignity and self-respect! Walk this Earth for eternity!"
Caine only stares at me, very obviously unamused at my long tirade of insults.
"Since when have your insults gotten so childish?"
"Since you refuse to help me!"
At that, he sighs, leaning heavily against the café chair as we sit facing each other in the early morning light of the streets of Paris.
"Azazel, you are a dear friend. A dear, dear friend. You have done me countless favours of which I am unsure I can repay you for, but what you are asking me for is a bit too much. I *cannot* send a demon to Heaven! I have already committed one grave sin by killing my own brother. I cannot commit two!"
"You will commit another if you allow an innocent to die!"
"Says who? The Angels requested that he be sent to Heaven for the canonization ceremony. He will be safe with them."
"Are you so stupid to not know that they plan to have his trial as well? They are going to kill him if he fails his trial!"
"Listen, Azazel. I am but a bellboy. I carry out duties. I am nothing more."
"Your *duty* had Taehyung dragged to Heaven. Anything that happens to him, I will account you responsible!"
"Nothing will happen to him! He attends the canonization, goes through his trial and that's it. Why would the Angels hurt him?"
I squint my eyes at him, leering forward.
"The way you play dumb is unconvincing."
Caine raises his hands, almost in defeat.
"If you are so afraid of what happens to him, I can go up to Heaven and check and report back to you."
"I do not trust your words," I say, leaning back and crossing my arms over my chest. I realize that I look and sound like I'm sulking.
"Ouch. After all I've done for you?"
"I've only requested you to do one thing. Even that, you refuse."
Caine sighs, his thick grey beard.
"It is very unlike you to request a favour for another's benefit."
"The reason is no business of yours. I just need it to be done."
Caine continues his silence, and I take it as a signal to continue.
"If you help Taehyung, he will consider himself indebted to you. He will help you, and you will be in his good books."
Caine closes his eyes, leaning his head back before he straightens again and stares at me.
"I am not as dumb as your demon kind, Azazel. You know that if I help you, I will be interfering in fate. I must not further invoke His wrath."
It seemed to be the automatic fear of Heavenly Creations, that they may somehow be going against God's plan with their actions. I did not share the same belief, so it was hard for me to understand why they feared it so much.
"God has not interfered in our affairs for millenia, Caine. What makes you think He will start now?"
"Do not speak of God so casually!" Caine roars, invoking stares from all around us. "The Angels will hear and punish you!"
I tilt my head to the side. "So is it God's wrath you fear - or the Angels?"
Caine freezes. He knows I've cornered him.
"If I can save Taehyung, he can restore the imbalances of power in Heaven. Even I know that the Angels are getting out of hand."
"If you are caught, you will be killed. And I will be sent to Hell for all eternity."
"Strange," I say. "I thought it was God who determined where souls went - not the Angels."
"You are a demon," he says. "Just discussing a way for you to enter Heaven will surely get me in trouble."
"Why do you fear Hell so much, Caine? Why do you contantly try to atone for your sins?"
"We are the same, you and I, Azazel. We are both trying to enter Heaven. But unlike you, I have a chance to repent."
I fall quiet. That was a blow.
"So I shan't waste it on demons, forgive me for my coarse language."
"Forgiven," I say, looking up at him as he stands, resting several dollar bills below his teacup as he prepares to leave. "How did it feel when you realized that you killed your brother?"
Caine freezes. It is one of the most sensitive questions one could as him, and throughout all the years I've known Caine, never have I once brought it up. Until now.
"To realize that there is nothing you can do to undo what you did. To be suddenly aware of how alone you are in facing your consequences. To be aware that no one can help you."
Caine still does not move, but I proceed anyway.
"You were begging for help back then, Caine. And you were lucky God interfered before Adam killed you himself. You were *lucky* that there was someone willing to help!"
"Azazel," Caine states, looking like he might grab the fork on the table and impale me with it. "You cannot seriously compare me to the Fifth Aamon. The responsibility he has on his shoulders -"
"He is young, Caine."
"He is nineteen."
"How old were you when you killed Abel?"
"He is the *Aamon*!" Caine stresses, fighting to keep his voice down.
"And you are the son of the First Aamon," I state. "The point is Taehyung knows that desperation. He knows that fear that no one will help - that realization that he is alone in this world. God helped you then."
Caine looks up at me.
"Pay it forward."
He is quiet for several long moments, before he finally sighs, leaning heavily against his seat. "Alright. I'll help you get to Heaven."
I fight the urge to sigh in relief. Finally.
"But nothing more than that."
I nod. I wasn't expecting anything beyond that anyway.

I spread my Angel wings, allowing them to stretch and flex. I did not use them often, mostly from the need to keep my Angel heritage a secret in Hell. Also because my father kept trying to eat them, so that was a pretty much good enough reason to keep them hidden 24/7.
I absent-mindedly one wing. Unlike my demon wings that were made of scales and stretched skin, my Angel wings were merely pristine, white feathers. Taehyung had seen my Angel wings all of once, and he had made no comment on them. Truthfully, he had never made comment on any of my forms.
He would stare me down while I was in demon form unflinchingly when I knew others would see me in their nightmares at but a glance of my face.
I wonder how he is. I wonder if he's safe. I wonder if he's alive.
"They are beautiful."
I glance over my shoulder to see Caine staring transfixed.
"Have you never seen Angel wings?"
"Not on a non-Holy being."
I smirk. "I am a half Holy being. So you're only half right."
"Yet you are also Lucifer's offspring."
"I am."
"You are lucky your father accepts you despite."
I scoff. "My father created me like this to challenge God's power. My very existence is an outrage."
"We are similar then. My father feels the same way for me."
I don't reply. It is common knowledge - even amongst humans, how Adam hated Caine after the First Murder. It has been thousands of years since the event, but Adam still refuses to forgive Caine - or give him the time of day.
He comes to stand before me, giving me an opaque glass bottle.
"What is this?"
"Strengthener. You will need it during the ascension. The layers of the sky will gradually increase their attacks on the detection of traces of sin. And with you being Sin itself, you will need a boost to even make it to Heaven's gates."
I unscrew the cap, chugging the contents. I hide a grimace. It tasted like expired milk.
"I'm going to regret doing this," I hear Caine murmur.
"Worry not," I say, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. "If I do end up dying, I'll ensure that my Daddy reserves a castle for you in Hell."
"Ha ha."
"What?" I grin, looking up at him. "You've never even been in Hell. It's a pretty fun place."
"Yes, for demons!"
"I'll have you inaugurated as one. We'll make each other flower crowns until God destroys us all during Judgement Day."
Caine doesn't even answer, swiping the now empty glass bottle away from me and going to put it away.
"I said I would send you to Heaven. Whatever happens to you is not my responsibility."
"Of course not," I say, being serious this time. "I swear to you, Caine. No blame will befall you. I will ensure it."
"How will you fight? What if you are defeated? What if Taehyung does not even want to return to Earth?"
"We'll cross the bridge when we face it," I answer simply. "Until then my mission is to ensure Taehyung's safety."
"You know what your chances of winning are. You are one demon against possibly millions of Angels. Even if you do somehow manage to escape with Taehyung, the Angels will give chase. And they become much more powerful on Earth. You are risking an all out war - just for one person?"
"Yes," I answer simply. I was beginning to tire of his questions, and I just wanted to get it over and done with.
"I never thought I'd say this, but you are too blind to see what you're getting yourself into."
Caine says nothing more, but comes to stand before me again. "Brace yourself for pain, and a lot of fighting when we arrive. Are you ready?"
I nod, just as Caine opens a portal beneath our feet, and the both of us fall in.

We fall for perhaps two seconds before our course rapidly shifts, and we are suddenly shooting upwards. The speed of our ascension pulls at my cheeks and I feel the familiar burn of a Holy power against my skin. It grows with time, until the burn feels like an all out pain that has me biting my tongue to keep myself from yelling. I was going to lose myself.
"We're almost there."
I turn to Caine. He looks barely bothered by the ascension, and I shouldn't be surprised. He is not a Creation of Hell. This was probably just leisure travel to him.
He is staring upwards, though I can't pinpoint exactly what he's staring at. There is no ceiling and there is no sky. We are moving much too fast to even focus on anything.
"I can't teleport you in. We'll have to break through the floor," Caine says as he raises his arms to protect his face.
"We'll have to WHAT?"
And then the both of us slam right through. I physically feel us breaking through hard floor and being thrown upwards. I extend my wings to catch myself in case I propelled upwards any further.
The first thing that catches my eyes is the monstrous ball of flames hurtling towards us.
"Caine, watch out!"
Caine stands unmoving as he faces the flames, raising his hands as he attempts to deflect the fireball. Someone suddenly materializes by his side, and even from the back, I recognize the First Aamon.
I whirl my head back, finally seeing Taehyung, who has his arms raised to cover his face. Of course he'd be the person the inferno was aimed at.
I grab him, wrapping my arms around his body as my wings encompass the both of us.
The flames practically slam into us, significantly weakened by both Adam and Caine's powers though still pretty potent. They burn my wings and any exposed skin, as I hear Taehyung scream in pain. I tighten my hold around him, holding him closer to my body.
I let go when the explosion has cleared, staring at Taehyung to make sure he's alright. He quickly lowers his arms, opening his eyes as he stares at Adam and then turns to me.
Those impossibly wide eyes get wider as he registers.
"Jin."
I offer him a small smile. That is all I can afford at the moment, as I turn to the front again.
Taehyung had been in trial. The Angels stare at us in what was probably collective shock and anger.
"Betrayal!" I hear them bellow, their weapons appearing in hand.
Adam retaliates by calling onto his staff which materializes out of thin air. "Treason," he murmurs.
I stare at his back. This doesn't seem like him. Would Adam really declare battle against the Angels?
He slams one end of his staff against the ground, and a powerful ripple of power hit us. It is a warning. Adam was going to fight.
There is the sound of a roar and I look up. What I see rips away all positive emotion I might have had upon seeing Taehyung. I feel the rage laying dormant in me explode and I am blinded by emotion.
Merriham. They had my brother.
"Azazel, be calm." Caine's warning falls on deaf ears as I call on to my power, spreading my wings as I shoot off the ground, taking flight. I was going to hurt these b1tch3s.
"Azazel, NO!" I shoot off from where I stood, hurtling straight at the Colosseum of armed Angels.
"JIN!"
Not even Taehyung can stop me. That was my brother. The one I'd grieved for. The one I'd thought was dead, killed by Beelzebub.
Yet here he stands, wild from pain and suffering from being here in Heaven.
I was going to kill those Angels.
I am rudely jolted back when I feel something wrap around my right ankle, and I slam back against the ground from the force. I roar, glancing over my shoulder, ready to attack Caine for daring to even stop me.
Instead I see Adam, his focus on the Angels, his left hand still holding on to his staff while his right is outstretched in my direction, a glowing white power extending from his palm till it wraps around my leg.
I had no idea why Adam was choosing to help - or why he was even standing before Taehyung. He had a lot to lose choosing to fight for the Fifth Aamon.
"Angel Azazel. It would do you good to collect yourself."
That hadn't been directed at me. The point was to throw insult towards the Angels. The First Man proclaiming that I too was an Angel just like them was an insult that would smack them against their face.
And I was right.
There is a careless bristle of power from the Angels as the sound of humming escalates. The Angels were being provoked.
"Azazel is no Angel, First Aamon."
"Forgive me," Adam answers, tightening his hold on his staff. "I thought his ancestry meant he is Holy."
I feel the power wrapped around my ankle slowly loosen, enough for me to be able to slip out, though it does not fall away.
"Return to your stand," the Head Angel of the Council warns. "Before you and Caine receive repercussions."
This time the power against my leg totally falls away as Adam shifts into offensive position. He slams the end of his staff against the ground once more, the burst of power strong enough to produce a crevice between the Angels and us.
"Do not threaten my son."
I pause. Adam was acknowledging his son.
And both Adam and Caine move, the elder making a dramatic pulling movement that produces a powerful cyclone that lifts the sand in the air and acts as momentary distraction. Caine whispers a spell, encompassing us in a protective bubble that doesn't allow the wind and sand to touch us.
"Plan of Action," Caine says aloud.
"Why didn't you just let me kill them?!" I growl, pushing myself off the ground and stalking towards him. I wanted to know why the Hell my brother was here and I want to know who the Hell was responsible for bringing him here. I'd grieved for him, fought for him and nearly killed Beelzebub for him. I needed to know who had this much power to kidnap Sin itself and bring him to a place so Holy.
"And what?" Adam bites, practically radiating power as he faces me. "Watch as they defeat you the moment you get within their vicinity?"
"I had them."
"I have no time to argue, Azazel. Either you work with me or you die while Taehyung watches."
I blink at his words and back down.
"Take Merriham back to Hell," Adam says as he glances only momentarily at his son. "A demon as powerful as he should have a natural inclination in Hell's direction. Use that to your advantage when transporting him with the portal. Take him straight to Lucifer."
He shifts his focus to me. "You and I will have to fight. Your brother will be safe with Caine. Further investigations on this matter will proceed later - if we make it alive."
I nod. I've never worked with Adam, but I trusted his strength and leadership.
"How long can you last in Heaven?"
"Not long," I answer.
He gives a cursory nod. "We must just hold on till Caine returns. He will take Taehyung back to Earth."
"What then?" Caine prompts, looking up at his father. "This onslaught will not stop just on his return."
"I will settle that." Caine and I exchange a glance. Did Adam really just say what we just heard?
"Fifth Aamon," Adam says, not even turning to Taehyung behind him. "Can you last long enough till then?"
"Yes." He didn't look convincing. Maybe that was why Adam didn't want to look at him.
I didn't want to point out that there was a major flaw in Adam's plan. He as a powerful leader would have realised what it was on his own.
Angels could follow us to Earth. Even if Taehyung escaped this place, he wouldn't be safe. The Angels could still kill him on Earth.
And these Angels could continue attacking Adam for years. It wouldn't be easy, but Adam could and probably would tire out. He would die, unless he managed to convince the Angels to stop.
I couldn't see how this was exactly going to work, but it was better than no plan at all.
There is the sound of something very large slamming against something very solid and the four of us look up to see flashes of weapons hitting the forcefield.
"Ready?" Caine prompts. The forcefield would be gone once he leaves. Adam lifts his hand and the cyclone immediately dies, revealing the extent of the Angel army awaiting us.
Taehyung gasps, taking a step back in shock.
They were like an army of ants, clawing their way up the forcefield while attacking it with their weapons, like one giant, squirming mass of zombies blankly trying to attack their way through. It was truly disgusting.
Adam takes a moment to analyze the surroundings.
"Can you fight?"
"Do we have a choice?" I answer, drawing my sword in one hand, while my other holds on to the dagger Lucifer had given me.
"How are you holding up, Taehyung?" Adam asks. "Do you think you have proper access to your power now?"
Taehyung blinks rapidly, looking like a deer stuck in headlights - again. "I - I think so."
"Stay within my vicinity." It looks like Adam wasn't convinced either. "Caine."
His son nods, making a running leap towards Merriham and landing against his back, before the both of them pop out of existence.
And then the forcefield disappears again and the mass of Angels starts raining down on us.
"Jump!" Adam commands.
Taehyung does as told, just as Adam forms an X across his chest and lets go, producing a burst of power so large that it knocks me back.
It throws the Angels back too, pushing those a distance further away while frying those who are too near. Bursts of light hit my vision as the Angels die at the First Aamon's hands.
*How well can you handle a battle?* Adams voice reverberates in my head. I honestly didn't know he could do that.
*Pretty well,* I vaguely answer.
*Get to the Archangels. The other Angels are controlled by their command. If you are a good enough distraction, they will be weaker. I'll be with Taehyung.*
*Can you handle him?*
*....yes.*
I didn't know it was possible to sound so hesitant when you're someone so powerful.
*Be wary of Ezekiel and Sobekneferu. I can't promise they hold my beliefs.*
I nod, before shooting off.
I literally hurtle towards the Council, weapons raised as I viciously attack the Angels that are in my way. I would've been much faster in my true form, but unfortunately I couldn't risk much unHoly presence in this place lest I start decomposing alive just like my little brother.
I manage to break through the mass of Angels, due in large part from Adam. The First Aamon is literally tearing the place apart with the extent of power he's unleashing. I catch sight of the Council, the five Angels still where they stood, and tighten my hold on my weapons.
I call on to a spell, feeling my Holy power course through my body, before I condense and then unleash it in their direction.
The five council members are met with a direct hit that destroys everything in a powerful explosion that makes the colloseum roof rain down. I don't wait for the dust to settle, speeding headlong into the destroyed arena.
I am intercepted when Sobekneferu makes a running leap towards me, sword raised as she slams it against my chest. I am quick enough to evade it, letting my own sword absorb the blow. It pushes me off balance, but I manage to catch myself by spreading my wings out.
"Azazel, stop!"
"What are you defending?" I roar, feeling my rage return.
"You cannot win," she pleads. "Stop this nonsense before you invoke God's wrath."
"Do you not see what these Angels have done?! I will not sit to the side and let the Angels do as they please!"
"You have an *army* against you!" she screams, sounding fully exasperated. "You will die if you don't back down."
"You and I have seen with our own eyes the destruction this army has brought," I seethe. "We must end it."
"At the cost of your life? Is it so worth it?"
When I don't answer, Sobekneferu lowers herself into offensive position. "If I let you do that, I would be disobeying God's orders. You know Heavenly entities live but to serve."
"You are not a Heavenly entity! You are a soul, an Aamon tasked to maintain balance."
"And you bring chaos! What do you think you're doing as a demon invading Heaven?"
I shake my head, tightening my hold on my weapons. "I have existed since the First Aamon's rule. Never has this place been this fkced up. This is not Heaven."
And she moves, suddenly producing a blast of power that I instinctively move to avoid. It misses me by a hair's breadth and singes the top of my head.
"Sobekneferu!" I yell. "You are not a slave to the Angels' whims!"
I raise my sword in defense as I catch her swords slamming into me. She is incredibly fast and I'm barely able to avoid those weapons impaling me when she blasts me with a direct hit of her powers that slams against my chest. It pushes me back perhaps three feet, with the pain lighting me down to my toes.
"Open your eyes!" I yell, collecting myself from her attack. "Look at what the Angels are doing! They are expanding their power - harming innocents! They kidnapped my brother - a Ruler of Hell. They put the Fifth Aamon through an unfair trial. They're trying to destroy the sanctity of Heaven!"
"You know the Angels only move through God's command."
"Would God command this?" I bite back. "You were the Aamon, tasked with upholding justice and making sure this type of shiit doesn't happen. Prove yourself!"
"You are a demon!" she screams, charging at me as she does so. She calls forth another burst of power, hurling it towards me. It knocks me back a distance. Before I can even collect my thoughts, she's hurtling towards me again, attacking me with her sword. I manage to catch each blow with my own, but it won't be long before she has me. She's moving way too fast. "You know nothing of an Aamon's burdens!"
She aims for my head and I flinch away as the sword grazes my neck, cutting through my human skin. I catch on to her wrist, crudely pulling her forward before I wrap a hand around her neck.
"The *only* reason I am here is to save Taehyung," I growl, our faces barely an inch apart as she grips on my wrists. She is convulsing as lack of air makes her panic. Souls do not need to breathe to survive - but out of habit, will continue to do so - which I was trying to work to my advantage. "Call me what you may, but I am ready to die for his cause. He is my reason to fight - my reason to survive. His heart is pure and he believes in his ideals. That is enough for a demon like me."
I throw her back and Sobekneferu slams against the remnants of the destroyed colosseum.
"I implore you to help us," I continue. "But if you won't, at least stay out of my way."
I kick myself off the ground, extending my wings as I shoot off towards the Council again. I hope those words got to her enough for her to at least leave me alone. I needed to concentrate if I wanted to win. Hell, I don't even know if I'd make it out of here alive.
There is a very prominent sensation that is not yet painful throbbing against my core. It is the loudest sign that I'm reaching my limit as a demon in Heaven. I can't stay long and if I did, I was going to get a lot weaker very soon.
I had to end this.
The Council are relatively easy to spot. They are the largest and regularly stick together like some sort of coagulated mass. I hurtle towards them, calling on to another round of power and throwing it directly at them. It forces them to disperse and separate and I immediately head for the nearest.
I don't wait for ceremony as I slam my sword against Uriel, who catches the blade with one hand. I attempt to pull it back, but his grip is much stronger as he pulls the blade towards himself. He smiles excitedly as he gazes down at me
"I bid you welcome, Azazel. I heard you've been trying to get into the Lord's abode for millenia."
"Yeah," I reply, groaning slightly at the amount of pressure I had to exert to get one bloody sword back. "But I don't think I'll be staying long."
I let go, and the sudden movement makes Uriel hit himself with the blade against his chin and he blinks, slightly winded. I take the chance, moving forward and producing my dagger given by my father as I impale it straight into the middle of Uriel's chest.
He roars in pain, dropping my sword and I use my other hand to catch it before I slice it against his neck, pulling the dagger upwards as I do so.
The action makes Uriel's head roll clean off his shoulders before he is gone in a powerful burst of light.
Okay. Holy siht. I just killed a member of the Council - a ruling faction of Angels also known as the top in the hierarchy. That was a lot easier than I expected but that's probably because I got lucky.
I just killed an Archangel. I probably won't be in any of the Lord's good books for a really long time.
There is the sound of a trumpet that brings with it dead silence. I feel and concurrently ignore the attention that is shifting towards me. With one Archangel down, the structure would be weaker. Heaven would be unstable and I could work that to my advantage.
But the Council is quickly regrouping and this time, they're heading towards me.
I call on to my power, activating a shield that encompasses my entire form - just as a powerful blast hits me and I am sent literally flying.
I slam against the ground, hearing a very familiar cry of 'Jin!' and internally groan. This boy couldn't concentrate on fighting if he saw me injured.
He is suddenly in my field of vision, looming over me with his face masked in concern.
"Are you okay?"
"Yes," I promptly reply, sitting up as I push him away.
"How did you get into Heaven?" he screeches, having the audacity to grip my cheeks, forcing me to look at him.
"I made some deals. And I'm half Holy."
I shift my attention to Adam as Taehyung's hands fall away.
"How much longer?"
"I don't know," Adam replies. "But you just killed Uriel. What was that about?"
"I don't know. I wasn't thinking." I push myself off the ground as Adam moves. It is one simple movement - he's only stretched out one hand and the ground before him explodes, sending the Angels flying.
"I won't say that was a bad idea. But now you've angered the Council and all hope of a retrial for Taehyung is out the window."
"So what do we do now?" Taehyung asks.
Adam pauses for a moment when he glances skyward, and we follow his gaze to see an Angel literally falling towards him, sword in hand to slice the First Aamon in half.
Adam puts his hand up, producing a blast of power from his palm that literally obliterates the Angel. The power looks like a gigantic solar beam and all traces of the Angel disappear before it even reaches the ground.
Few words could properly describe Adam, and 'powerful' was a gross understatement.
"We kill the whole Council."
It takes me a moment.
"I'm sorry. WHAT?"
"The only way we can keep Taehyung alive now is to restructure Heaven as we know it."
"You'll destroy it," I point out.
"Heaven cannot be destroyed. As long as the Lord exists, Heaven shall exist. We're just making some renovations."
"You grossly understate what we're doing. Killing Uriel was a lucky shot. We have four other Archangels at our tail and their armies that number millions."
"Then get fighting." Adam moves again, creating a shield surrounding the three of us before he expands it, forming what looks like a ten foot bubble and releases multiple explosions on the other side. There are the sound of screams and the sight of bodies being ripped apart before bursts of light signify the death of several Angels.
Taehyung stares hypnotised, obviously traumatized by both the sight and power. I wonder if he considered whether one day he'd be able to do all that.
"Hey," I call, lightly touching his jaw. His focus shifts to me. "We can't keep depending on Adam's power. We have to fight too."
He nods, still looking pretty vapid.
"Taehyung. You're the Fifth Aamon, tasked to maintain balance in Heaven and Hell. We need you."
At that, his gaze sharpens.
I manage to give him a small smile before I catch his pupils dilate as he glances over my shoulder.
I whirl around, both weapons in hand. It's Michael, heading our way.
"NO!" I yell as I produce a shield before Taehyung and I, knowing that it's too late. Michael slams into us, breaking through the shield with his sword raised ready to swing it.
I make sure Taehyung is behind me before I raise my sword to take the blow. It drives me to my knees as I realise Michael's mouth is glowing.
"Taehyung, get out the way!"
He dives to the left, just as Michael opens his mouth - and a gargantuan blast of power leaves and hits me. I hear Taehyung scream my name as I curl into myself, encompassing my entire body with my wings. The blast eats at me, burning into my skin, frying me alive.
I wasn't going to make it.
And then it suddenly stops, as if Michael has shut his mouth and I look up.
A hand covers Michael's face, and I look behind it to see Ezekiel. I blink and realise that a sword protrudes out the middle of Michael's chest.
"Waiting for ceremony?" Ezekiel murmurs, asking through gritted teeth.
I move, taking my dagger and swiping it along Michael's neck. It isn't enough to decapitate him, but his neck bursts all the same, that familiar bright white light signalling the death of an Angel exudes out of his entire form before he is gone.
"Phew!" Ezekiel grins as he exaggeratedly wipes the sweat off his brow. "That is a pretty useful dagger."
"You're late into the game," I point out as I accept his hand and straighten. My wings are beyond damaged now. I couldn't use them to fly.
"Hey, I just saved your life," he jokingly points out.
"And you just basically ended yours," I bite back.
He waits a moment, patiently giving me a smug little look.
"But thank you. You saved my life."
Ezekiel shifts his attention to Adam. "You can't last forever."
"Thank you for pointing that out," Adam replies. "Do you have a plan?"
"I don't even have a 'pla'. I just decided to join your cause." He leans his body slightly to the left to look behind me. "You doing alright there, Taehyung?"
"Yeah."
He gives him a grin and a thumbs up before straightening and looking me dead in the eye.
"We're fcuked," he mouths.
"Not unless Taehyung suddenly gains control of his powers."
"Or we kill the Council, which honestly seems like it has a higher chance of success."
The ground we are standing on suddenly rumbles, shaking like an earthquake has hit the Heavens. Ezekiel trips, losing balance as I steady him.
"An earthquake in Heaven," he chuckles. "We're all doomed."
And the ground behind us bursts open. I grab Taehyung, bodily sheltering him from the raining debris.
"What the -"
There is an earth-shattering roar that sounds nothing Heavenly and I press my hands against Taehyung's ears to shield him. He is the first to look up as I glance behind me to check on Adam and Ezekiel. They're both unharmed.
"Demons," Taehyung breathes.
I whip my head up this time, not believing my ears.
Before us stands a serpentine demon probably twenty feet tall, dripping poison out of its razor thin fangs. Atop it, sits Caine, grinning like a maniac.
"Evening," he greets.
Stunned into stupidity, I only say what I can.
"Evening."
"That's Horace," Taehyung points out, sounding as shocked as I felt. "H-h-how is -?"
"I don't know," I answer. "But let's keep moving."
Out of the gigantic hole that Horace and Caine have broken through pops out a plethora of demons of varying sizes, some as tall as my human form, others as huge as Horace. They are all on a rampage, charging towards the Angel armies and attacking head on.
Caine leaps off Horace, running to us.
"How did you get the demons in Heaven?" Ezekiel asks.
"Lucifer was returning the favour." I notice Caine is panting as he stands before us, hands against his hips.
"Yes, but the one who agreed to transport the demons is still you," I point out. "How did you manage to transport so many?"
"A little exertion," Caine huffs. "But they won't last long in here. I'm gonna have to send them back soon."
"You're going to send them all back?" Adam quizzes, staring at his son as if he's only just seen him for the first time. "Are you alright?"
"Honestly? Lucifer helped a lot. He's nice when you get the time to know him."
I raise an eyebrow. "How long did Lucifer give?"
"He estimates about ten to fifteen minutes- any more than that and the demons will just die. By my calculations, if we somehow create a big enough ruckus in Heaven, it could extend to half an hour."
"You are correct," Adam agrees. "Azazel and Ezekiel just killed two Archangels."
The look on Caine's face is of pure disbelief. "Oh." He pauses for a moment, staring straight at me, before he continues. "The giant that I rode - Horace," he gestures wildly at Horace who is excitedly devouring several Angels a distance away. "Lilith demands that I return him alive or she'll have my head."
It wasn't just Lilith. All my siblings had sent in their own demon armies to help in the fight. They were all lending their strength - for Taehyung.
"Get Taehyung out of here," Adam commands, interrupting my reverie. He turns to me. "Azazel, you should follow. Angels will probably tail you and Caine will need help."
"You won't have enough man power," I argue. "These demons will only be here for half an hour and after that it'll be just you and Ezekiel."
"I won't argue and I don't have the time to argue. Caine must concentrate on transport. He cannot do that while fighting off the Angels."
"And you can't win with a two men army!"
"Let me settle this!" Adam practically roars. I feel Taehyung flinch and I instinctively move to put him behind me. "I allowed this to happen and I shall resolve it!"
"You will die," I growl, lowering my voice, knowing that yelling will only worsen tensions. "And you will resolve nothing."
"I am willing to die for my cause. And my cause right now is to save Heaven from these Angels. Do not make my burden any heavier, Azazel. Leave now."
We stare each other down, interrupted only when there is the sound of a pained roar. We turn to see Ezekiel producing a blast of power against several charging Angels we hadn't noticed were heading straight for us.
"Comrades," Ezekiel yells. "We shall fight later."
Adam turns to Caine, nodding once. "Take them back to Earth. Come back once you're done."
His son nods, and he comes to Taehyung and I, gripping on to both our forearms.
"Wait."
We pause, shifting our attention to Taehyung as he stares back at Adam. "How do I know you'll be safe?"
"If Angels are not at your tail once you reach earth, I'll be alive. Now go."
We start to fall, the ground beneath our feet giving way and I feel the familiar sensation of a shift in dimension.
But then there is a jarring thud, almost as if we have been pulled back and I hear anguished shouts of the Aamons. The pressure against my forearm falls away and I look up.
Caine is impaled through the chest with a spear, the force of the throw burying the weapon straight into the ground behind him. It leaves him supported like a grotesque scarecrow, his legs barely supporting him while the spear that hasn't left him props him upright.
Time seems to move in slow motion for me.
There is the shift in focus, as concentration on the battlefield is basically destroyed.
Taehyung stares, traumatized. Ezekiel goes pale before he runs for Caine.
Adam reacts the strongest.
"My son!" he basically roars. "My son!"
He too, runs to him, and together, Ezekiel and him pull the spear out of his chest, with Adam catching Caine as he falls to the ground.
Caine is not moving. He is still there, solid as a spirit, but he is not moving. He won't be physically there for long.
I turn to see who had thrown the spear, seeing Azrael standing above us, his wings so large that they basically caste a shadow that encompasses us in darkness.
What dark humour it is that the Angel of Death that has caste the spear to kill the First Son.
My grip on my sword and dagger tighten.
Taehyung and I were now essentially stuck in Heaven with Caine down.
"You're going to pay for that."
"Jin." I ignore Taehyung's hand against my elbow as I make a running leap towards the Angel and head for him.
Azrael catches the blow from my sword that I'd swung into him, using his free hand to produce a condensed ball of power which he aims at me. I dodge, using my elbow to hit his hand and deflect the blow.
He grabs on to my sword, twisting in such a way that the blade shatters in his hand. I murmur a spell, inhaling sharply and produce flames that come out of my mouth as I exhale.
It hits Azrael straight against his face and he flinches away. I use the moment to stick the broken sword straight into his neck. It won't do much but it would be enough of a distraction.
I grip on to my dagger, ready to impale it into his chest, but Azrael manages to catch my wrist. The sudden contact of skin on skin makes me stop. Azrael's hand is ice cold.
It is so cold in fact that I freeze, dropping my dagger as I stare at his hand. It is a clammy, ugly grey with skin so tight that his veins are literally popping out. How could an Angel be so horrifyingly ugly?
As I stare, I finally realize that the grey on his hands is spreading to my pale skin, slowly turning it the same colour.
"What the f-" I don't get to finish my sentence when Azrael suddenly reaches over, grabbing my neck and squeezing hard enough that I choke. I instinctively grab on to his wrist, trying to make him let go of my throat.
The hold he has on my wrist tightens and so does the one he has on my neck. It doesn't make sense. I didn't need to breathe. Squeezing my neck would be tantamount to squeezing my leg. Why was I choking?
I glance at my wrist. The grey colour is spreading - and along with it, goes the feeling in my hand.
Fcuk. Azrael was killing me. He was the Angel of Death for a reason. Who knew his touch could be toxic to half Angels too. I feel my legs give way and I fall to my knees. Azrael doesn't let go.
My face would probably be grey at this point. I was feeling what was probably similar to humans experiencing lack of oxygen. Spots start appearing in my vision and the feeling of lightheadedness was being replaced with searing pain that makes my head roll back as I fight off convulsions.
I hear Taehyung screaming.
"STOP IT!" His words hold a powerful weight behind them, as time seemed to stop at his command. I watch as Azrael shifts his focus to him, his hold on me unrelenting.
"Let him go."
Taehyung sounds calm, confident even. I know he has a plan up his sleeves, and it's going to be stupid.
"Taehyung, no," I manage to gasp, before sudden bolt of pain courses through my entire body and I scream. If Azrael was going to kill me, he should do it now.
"By order of the current ruling Aamon, let. Him. Go."
"And what shall the current ruling Aamon provide in return?" I have never, in the entirety of my life, heard Azrael speak. And I wish I hadn't.
"I will proceed with the trial."
The hold on my neck and wrist loosens and I fall to the ground, landing squarely against my back. The pain ends just like that and I am left in a coughing mess as I curl into myself.
The sound of fighting dies, almost as if the whole battlefield has paused at Taehyung's words.
"I'll go through with it."
"No," I gasp, struggling to even look up. My whole body is shaking violently from the effect of Azrael's touch. I attempt to push myself off the ground, failing and landing squarely on my face.
"Taehyung," I hear Ezekiel say. "Are you sure of this?"
"I am the Fifth Aamon," I hear him reply. "Protector of Souls, Guardian of the Forty Legions of Heaven and Hell. I'm failing my cause if I let this continue any longer."
I finally gather enough strength to push my upper body off the ground, just enough to see Taehyung slowly falling to his knees, raising his hands in surrender.
"I have one request," he says. "Let the demons return - and let me be accountable for everyone here. Adam, Pakal, Sobekneferu, Caine." He does not even glance at me. "And Azazel. They all walk free."
"Taehyung, no!" I manage to utter. "Please!"
But Taehyung is gone, suddenly ripped from the ground by Azrael as the Archangel nearly drags him towards the arena once more.
The two other members of the Council reappear by Azrael's side as the rest of the Angels and demons merely stop to stare, most suspended in midair as they'd taken their fights to the sky.
Taehyung is positioned to kneel, head hanging low in order to make it easier to behead him.
"Adam," I gasp, using nearly all my energy to merely shift my body just enough to look at him. "Do something!"
But Adam stares transfixed, his unconscious son leaning heavily against his chest. He shakes his head no. "This is Taehyung's decision."
"You can change it!"
"Taehyung has continuously asked us to respect his decisions, Azazel. It is time we heed."
I turn my head back to Taehyung, who kneels on the ground with three frightening Angels behind him. If his soul was killed, Taehyung would be destroyed in all matters of existence. He would just be gone.
"Adam," I hear Ezekiel say. "Are you sure we should -"
"Taehyung is the Fifth Aamon. He was chosen because he is capable. If he chooses this path… then so be it."
"By order of the Grand Council," Gabriel, the Archangel in the middle bellows. "For his crimes against the Heavens, the Holy Lord and the Aamon's Court, Fifth Aamon Kim Taehyung is hereby declared unfit to rule and shall face execution."
Ezekiel physically stands, making a move towards them, when Adam stops him. He shakes his head. Ezekiel looks stricken, but doesn't move.
Gabriel produces a sword. It looks gigantic compared to Taehyung. He doesn't even flinch as Gabriel raises the sword over his head, ready to strike. Taehyung looks tired. Forlorn and long having given up the fight.
Gabriel brings the sword down. I stare in stricken anticipation.
Taehyung has been known to make the universe work in his direction. He could do this. He'd have a plan to suddenly attack and kill all these Angels behind him. He's just waiting. I'm sure.
Taehyung suddenly looks up and meets my eyes. And it is in that look that I realise. There is no plan. He really has given up.
"NO!" I yell, just the sword nears Taehyung's exposed neck.
An explosion rocks the Heavens once more, the blast coming from behind the Angels that makes all of us shift our focus.
Sobekneferu literally drops out of the sky, lands before Taehyung and grabs him, pulling him out of harms way before she engages in battle with the three Archangels.
Taehyung is screaming before he even hits the ground.
"SOBEKNEFERU, NO!" He is full on screeching as he lands, pushing himself up.
Sobekneferu was an incredible warrior, and she moves so fast that my weakened state found it hard to follow.
She hits Gabriel with a direct blow of power to his face that throws him back, before producing a sword that she swings towards Raphael, cutting her across the cheek.
"Neferu!" Ezekiel is the one who yells this time, and he straight up runs towards her.
"No!" Taehyung continues screaming at Sobekneferu. "Stop!"
Ezekiel creates a wide arc of power that he swings in Sobekneferu's general direction. It spreads much like a ripple as Sobekneferu dodges at the last moment and the arc slams into Raphael.
She whirls around to face her lover.
"Grab Taehyung and go!"
That is her mistake, as she suddenly jolts forward, a sword sticking out her chest.
"Neferu!" Ezekiel yells.
Azrael stands behind her, suddenly grabbing her by the top of her head as he pulls the sword upwards, slicing Sobekneferu's upper body into two.
"NO!" Taehyung screams again, as Sobekneferu drops to the ground and immediately fades away.
This time Ezekiel drops to his knees, staring in shock at the space Sobekneferu should be.
"Where…. Where did she go?" he murmurs.
There is a very short silence, before Adam speaks. "She's gone, Pakal. Dead."
No one moves, until Taehyung looks up at Azrael.
"I had a request," he says, voice unsteady as he trembled. "I only asked that everyone walk free."
"Sobekneferu brought it on herself."
"You didn't have to kill her," Taehyung almost whimpers.
The skies around us darken, thunder grumbling as lightning flashes from one cloud to the other.
"It had to be done."
I see Adam stare up at the skies as I finally collect enough energy to sit up.
"What's going on?" I murmur, staring directly at him.
"Heaven is shifting," he almost whispers in answer. "Accommodating to the massive influx of power."
"What power?"
"YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO KILL HER!" Taehyung screams.
Heaven literally explodes as Taehyung goes pale white - lighting up as a bolt of lightning hits him directly. He pushes himself up to stand and makes a throwing motion, producing a massive wave of power that hits Azrael.
It is the signal to continue the battle as the demons start attacking again, almost moving along with Taehyung's sudden desire to fight. The darkened sky reignites with random bursts of light from dying Angels and war cries from both sides.
I turn to Adam again.
"What the *Hell* is going on?!"
But Adam stares strickenly at Taehyung, the blood leaving his ebony complexion. "He's lost control."
I whip my head to Taehyung. That wave of power had been massive, tantamount to a tsunami that had crashed straight into the Colosseum. I can only assume that Azrael is dead as Taehyung produces another burst of power, this time a dome of energy over his head so large he looks like Atlas carrying the world upon his shoulders. Taehyung throws it, and it flies a distance, before producing an explosion that practically firebombs the arena.
"He's going to kill us all!" Adam yells.
"Taehyung!" I yell. He whips around, his eyes pure white. "Stop!"
Surprise. He doesn't.
Taehyung suddenly reaches for the skies and the clouds shift, condensing closer together as they rumble in anticipation.
"Taehyung…" I warn.
He whirls around, suddenly shifting his focus to Raphael as he throws his power forward. Lightning from the skies drops down to the Heavens, and hits Raphael with such ferocity that she essentially explodes.
"Taehyung!"
Taehyung reaches for the skies again, making a pulling motion. Winds suddenly pick up, threatening to destabilize the beings currently airborne. Again, lightning falls from the skies, this time in smaller but much more multiple quantities. It hits the Angels, many of which explode, with the demons roaring victoriously in response.
"I have to stop him," Adam exclaims, finally moving to stand as he calls on to his power. He runs forward, making a clapping motion with his hands that produces a tangible sonic boom. It throws everyone within receiving vicinity back, including Taehyung.
Taehyung turns around, expression livid as he directs a blow at Adam. The First Aamon merely absorbs it into his hands, which he uses to light his palms on fire and point that towards the ground, before he makes a pulling motion.
The ground below Taehyung starts to break into crevices before it explodes, throwing him skyborne as lava shoots up from the ground like gysers from the volcano Adam has produced.
Taehyung counters it by remaining skyborne, increasing the strength of his winds and actually changing the weather in the Heavens. A snowstorm starts as suddenly as the volcano had appeared, the winds picking up hail that rains upon those on the ground.
The hail starts expanding, until the stones are the literal size of bowling balls being thrown in Adam's direction. He destroys each one with burst of fire he produces from his already blazing hands. He does this for perhaps three seconds before he realizes the futility of it, and he creates a wave of fire probably twenty feet tall, and makes it crash on Taehyung.
I had never seen a match between two beings with this amount of power. The Aamons really were the most powerful mortals in existence.
Taehyung curls into himself, commanding a sudden flash freeze that encompasses him in ice, protecting him from the wave. The flames barely touch him.
I force myself to look away. Staring widemouthed at the battle between them would help no one.
"Ezekiel!" The said Aamon shifts his focus on me. "I'm sorry for your loss, but we will grieve in safer times." He nods, slowly regaining focus. "We must save Caine lest the demons and I be stuck here."
"Yes," he answers, still sounding a bit vapid. "You're right. We must help."
I head for Caine, ignoring the searing pain that follows every move I make. "Do you know how to heal a soul?"
"No."
I look up to meet Ezekiel's eyes.
He hadn't said that.
"Only to kill it."
We turn to the source of the sound, seeing Gabriel looming over us, sword positioned to strike.
We jump out the way, just as the sword wedges into the ground where we once were.
"Azazel, go!" Ezekiel yells as he activates his powers, producing his sword that he strikes against Gabriel. The Archangel takes the blow directly, not even flinching when the blade strikes him against his chest.
As the leader of the Council, Gabriel would logically be the most powerful. It would take a lot more than a sword to end him.
Gabriel catches Ezekiel's wrist, temporarily immobilizing him when he pulls the Fourth Aamon forward and raises his sword to strike him. Ezekiel produces several bursts of power from the palm of his hands, destroying his sword in the process but managing to make Gabriel back off.
But now he didn't have a weapon.
"Catch!" I yell, hurling my dagger.
Ezekiel turns, easily catching it by its hilt and whips back around to plunge the dagger into Gabriel.
But the Archangel moves faster when he dodges, catching Ezekiel's wrist with one hand before he uses the other to direct a blow straight against Ezekiel's core. The amount of condensed power behind the blow literally sends Ezekiel flying before he collapses a distance away, unmoving.
Oh crap.
Gabriel turns to me and if I had a beating heart, all the blood in my face would've probably just left. I'd just given Ezekiel my only good weapon.
Gabriel moves towards me, closing the distance between us in about half a second before he has a hand around my throat, lifting me off the ground. I'm too weak to even fight back - but I see clear as day my own dagger in his hands.
Oh fcukk.
I clutch on to Gabriel's wrist, somehow hoping that I could twist out of his hold. It doesn't work of course.
I glance to Adam, still very much busy fighting Taehyung. But it did look like the First Aamon was gaining the upper hand as he has Taehyung immobilized with two feet and one hand wedged to the ground through vines that have seemingly grown out of nowhere.
*Taehyung.*
If Taehyung didn't stop, he was going to destroy everything. He was only going to prove the Angels right - that he wasn't a competent Aamon. If he died right here, that would be the end of him. There would be no salvaging his soul. There would be no saving him if he lost to his powers.
*Taehyung.*
I see him flinch. He heard me.
Some way, some how, I'm getting through to him.
"Taehyung." The sound comes out a strangled gasp as my voice box is crushed and my airways are blocked. But Gabriel has raised my dagger, ready to plunge it into me. In this form, my own dagger was going to kill me.
Gabriel strikes, and I finally yell.
"Taehyung, help!"
The bright white light emitting from Taehyung's eyes blinks out, and he sees me. He doesn't even try to break free from the hold Adam has him in when he reaches out, moving a gigantic boulder in one fluid motion and sending it flying into Gabriel.
It smashes into him with a pretty satisfying crunch as I fall to the ground, coughing and clutching at my throat.
"Jin!"
"I'm alright," I assure, though I don't even try to make a move to stand. "Thank you."
I glance at Taehyung as he lightly touches the vines immobilizing him. They die away, shrivelling up like prunes before simply turning to dust and setting Taehyung free.
"Are you alright?" I hear Adam ask him.
I see Taehyung nod, smiling slightly. There is a very obvious crumbling sound a distance away, as Gabriel emerges from the boulder, literally throwing the thing over his head as he stands.
"The battle's not over yet," Taehyung murmurs. "I'll lead him away from you guys."
"You think you can fight him off?"
"Yeah," Taehyung answers. He throws me a glance. "I found it. My peace of mind."
And Adam looks over his shoulder, following Taehyung's gaze and quickly realizes that he's staring at me.
If he intends to make a comment, he makes none, merely nodding as he turns back to Taehyung.
"Be safe."
Taehyung produces a small ball of condensed power, the probable size of a baseball and throws it much like a pitcher at Gabriel.
It explodes in his face - not causing much damage, but mostly acting as a way to grab his attention.
Gabriel roars in anger, and Taehyung charges forward, only to suddenly send a blast of power towards the ground that propels him upwards like a slingshot.
Gabriel follows, shooting off the ground.
"Gabriel is the only Council member left," Adam murmurs as we stare up at them. "If Taehyung manages to kill him, we'll be saved."
Both Gabriel and Taehyung move incredibly fast, sometimes the only proof of them meeting head on is the massive sparks produced whenever their swords meet.
Realizing that the demons respond to him, Taehyung uses them to his advantage. Gabriel is met with countless demons in his face, a constant distraction from the battle. It isn't enough to weaken him, but it allows Taehyung to move more freely.
A clap of thunder sounds, before Taehyung hits Gabriel with a direct bolt of lightning that pushes him off balance. Taehyung falls for perhaps three seconds before Horace moves, catching him with his back.
"We must heal Caine." I turn to Adam who has run to his unconscious son. "Check on Ezekiel."
I heed, going to Ezekiel. He's landed on his side, his back to me as I force him to turn.
Ezekiel's chest is black, burnt from Gabriel's attack. I place a ginger hand against the wound, feeling for how deep it is. I whisper a spell, closing the wound.
"Wake up, Ezekiel," I murmur. "You didn't rule for thousands of years just to be killed by one Archangel."
I hear a roar of anger and look up to see Taehyung receiving a direct strike. He falls off Horace like a sack of potatoes, before the demon manages to catch him again.
"That HURT, you lump of shiit!" I hear him screech. The good news is Taehyung is back to his normal, idiotic self. The bad news is that I don't know how any of that will help.
"Ezekiel, wake UP!" I yell, shaking him slightly.
Gabriel directs a blast at Horace that throws the serpentine demon - Taehyung along with it.
I look up just in time see it flying in our direction. It takes me a moment to register.
It was going to land on top of us.
"ADAM, WATCH OUT!"
I call on to whatever little power I had left, creating a forcefield before us just as Horace slams on top. His weight is too great and shatters my shield. I feel the searing pain tear me in half as I drop to my knees, holding a scream between my lips as I stare at Lilith's pet about to crush us to death.
But Adam moves, catching Horace just in time before he moves it away with his powers.
Holy shhit, that was close.
Taehyung suddenly lands unceremoniously on his back before me, scrambling to stand as he stares me down.
"You okay?" he screeches.
"For now," I answer. I glance at Gabriel a distance away. I see the globe of power he is forming in his hands. "But not for long."
Taehyung whirls around, seeing what Gabriel is doing.
"Adam, I need your help!"
"I got it."
Both Aamons break into a run as they head towards Gabriel. Adam calls forth a sudden gyser that propels him upwards while Taehyung makes a running leap upon a flying demon.
Adam turns back to me for a moment as he yells. "Try to get Caine awake!"
What the fcuk.
I half drag myself to Caine. Compared to Ezekiel, Caine's state is dire. He is human and mortal - and he isn't an Aamon able to withstand massive amounts of abuse on his physical form.
But the good thing about being human is that you're a lot easier to heal than a being as complex as an Aamon. I didn't have much power left in me but it should be just enough for him.
I rest my lips against his, transferring as much of my power as I could. Caine jolts awake beneath me and I straighten.
"Oh my GOODNESS," he practically screams, sitting up straight and wiping frantically at his lips. "Next time, just let me die!"
I roll my eyes as I fall to the side, leaning against the boulder Taehyung had thrown previously. "Homophobe," I reply, noting how my voice trembles.
Caine turns serious, resting a concerned hand on my shoulder. "Rest. Tell me what to do."
"Get the demons back to Hell. Then come back and get Taehyung and I out of here."
Caine nods only once, before he stands. He holds a whistle shaped like a smoking pipe in his hands and when he puts it to his lips and blows, the sound that comes out is tantamount to a banshee scream.
That's Lucifer's whistle, a whistle he only uses when he needs to gather demons from all Nine Circles of Hell. Amazing that he'd let Caine borrow it.
The demons stop in their tracks, turning to Caine. He motions with a flinch of his head, opens a portal and jumps. The mass of demons follow, until the last one enters and the portal closes.
I hear something falling from the sky and turn just in time to see Taehyung slam against the ground. He bounces because of the height, but pushes himself off the ground and propels himself upwards again in a fashion similar to Adam.
I was in Heaven for far too long. My body wasn't healing and I was getting weaker by the moment.
A portal opens near my head and Caine pops out.
"That was fast," I point out.
"Dump and go," Caine rushes. I notice that he is soaked in sweat and shaking as he comes to me. The exertion to get all those demons back to Hell would've been massive. "Your father isn't too happy since half his army is gone." He comes to me, slinging my arm over his shoulders as he supports me to stand. "If you wanna leave, we better do it now."
He turns to Taehyung, who has just produced an explosion powerful enough to slam Gabriel into the ground.
"Taehyung!" he calls. "Let's go!"
Taehyung looks back, slightly confused before he registers what's going on. He lands, making a break for us.
I stare as Taehyung runs, when just as suddenly, I see Gabriel rise from the debris, making a throwing motion towards Taehyung. A huge blast of power leaves his palm, heading straight for Taehyung.
All three of us scream his name as Taehyung finally looks over his shoulder.
Too late.
I hear him yell as he immediately stops running, curling into himself. The hit was going to kill him and no one would be fast enough to stop it.
I make a break for him, pushing Caine out of the way as I reach for Taehyung.
"Azazel, no!" I hear Caine yell. "It will kill you!"
I grab on to Taehyung, throwing myself on him as I bodily cover him just as the blast hits us.
I anticipate the pain - sure that I was going to die a pretty horrible and ugly death when we are encompassed in light.
A white light that is different than the blinding light of the Angels.
There is no pain, so I let go of Taehyung, and he looks up, first at me then directly at the source of light. His eyes sharpen for a moment, before glazing over and turning white. I grip on to his shoulders as he relaxes, leaning heavily against my chest.
"Taehyung?!"
I hear someone drop to the ground and I look behind him to see Adam on his knees, looking equally as dazed.
"Adam!" I call. There is no pain from this light, no fear nor threat. It is just a light that warms you to your toes. "What's going on?"
"It is God," I hear him say. "He is interfering."

"Taehyung!"
I flinch, literally jolting awake as I sit up. My entire being buzzes with adrenaline and panic as I look around. What happened? Where was I? Where is everyone?
The sound of running footsteps makes me refocus and I realise that I'm back on Earth - back at the hotel room and back on Taehyung's bed. How…?
Jungkook barges in, ceremoniously ripping the door open and tearing it off its hinges as he runs towards me.
"Jin!" He makes a flying leap, landing on the bed and throws his arms around my neck in a bone-crushing hug. "You're awake! It's okay!"
I realize then that I'm shaking and panting. I'm confused. What had happened? Jungkook hugs me tighter, a powerful anchor to my frazzled state.
After a full minute, he warily lets go, critically eyeing me. "How are you feeling?"
"I'm fine," I say. And I do feel fine. Infinitely better with Jungkook around. "I didn't mean to freak you out."
"That's okay," he answers. "Taehyung said you'd be confused."
"Do you…know what happened?"
The little one reaches for the bedside table, taking a cardigan I hadn't realized was there and rests it over my shoulders. I finally notice that I'm shirtless.
He shakes his head as he focuses on me, staring in concern. "You and Taehyung came back a month ago."
"A month?" I'd been asleep for a whole month??
Jungkook carefully nods. "Taehyung just woke up one day and ripped you and Caine out of the air. You were weak and had to rest. Caine said your Holy body had nearly been destroyed."
I run a hand through my hair as I gather my thoughts. We'd been in the literal middle of a battle when Gabriel had attacked Taehyung and God had interfered. I don't even remember blacking out but here I am back on Earth. What had happened to the Aamons? The Archangels? What about Heaven itself?
Jungkook continues talking. He knows I would need to focus.
"You guys were gone for eleven days."
"Only eleven?"
He nods. "The Vampire King and Sovereign left after the third day. There was only so much time they could stay away from their thrones." The little one pauses, staring quietly at me. "You've never been asleep for so long."
"I know." Truthfully, the statement scared me. The fact that I needed to heal for so long merely being in Heaven and fighting meant that I was a lot weaker than I thought I was. If ever the need came where I had to fight the Angels again, I would surely lose.
"Where's Taehyung?"
"In a meeting. He should be done in a while."
"What's the meeting about?"
The little one shrugs. "Some Heavenly task force. I'm not allowed to sit in."
"You're not allowed to sit in?" That was slightly ludicrous. Jungkook sat in nearly all of Taehyung's meetings. He was Taehyung's proxy when he was gone - he would need to be aware of what's going on.
Jungkook scrunches his nose slightly as he stares at me. "Yes. Why are you repeating after me?"
"Because that is major news but you've said it like it was nothing."
"Oh. Well, it's been a month."
I hide a sigh, reminding myself that Jungkook is eight. Technically turning nine in a few weeks, but still a child despite. Perhaps he was not the best informant.
I am broken from my reverie when the small child leans towards me, practically a foot from my face as he stares up at me through his bangs.
"What is it?"
"You smell good."
"I haven't had a bath in a month."
"No. You smell… edible."
Ah. Jungkook was still a vampire. It quickly dawns on me that he hasn't fed in over a month as I stare at his blood red irises. Did he function well while I was gone? Was the magic in my blood sufficient to hold him down the past month?
"Are you thirsty?"
He nods, a natural pout forming on his lips.
I reach out to him, resting a hand against his cheek. "You must know that I'm not always able to predict how thirsty you are. You must inform me if you need sustenance."
"I don't want to worry you," he quietly answers.
I let my thumb run against his cheek as Jungkook clutches my hand in his. "It's fine."
His hold on my hand tightens and I watch as he tilts his head slightly, shifting its position so his lips rest lightly against my wrist. He opens his mouth, and the sight of his fangs has me transfixed. They are much like a snake's - needle thin, long and seemingly incredibly sharp.
And then they are gone, as they sink into my flesh.

I finally feel his fangs retract from my wrist as Jungkook straightens and I let my hand fall away. He wipes childishly at the streaks of silver blood running down his chin.
"Better?"
He smiles, nodding.
"How did you survive a whole six weeks without feeding?"
Again, the little one shrugs. "I kept myself busy."
"Did you hurt anyone?"
"Not on purpose."
"Did you kill anyone?"
He shakes his head. "The Hunters kept me at bay."
"Did they hurt you?"
And he gives me a sad little smile. "A little bit," he quietly confesses. "But it stopped me from hurting Taehyung."
I am quietly stunned. I'm not even sure what to say to that. "I'm sorry I was gone for so long. It won't happen again."
My little one answers me with the same sad smile. He and I both know that it will happen again - repeatedly.
Jungkook stands, getting off the bed and runs off. "I'll get Taehyung."
I watch as he leaves, shutting the door behind him. I close my eyes, taking a moment to gather my thoughts. I was alive. I had truly not expected myself to make it out there alive. And yet, here I am. I'd made it. Somehow.
Jungkook comes back in, bringing two people behind him.
One was, expectedly, Taehyung.
"Jin! Glad you're awake," he greets, making his way towards me to sit at the foot of my bed. "It's been hectic without you. How are you feeling?"
"I'm fine," I answer, distracted momentarily by his formal outfit. "Were you from an event?"
He shakes his head. "Just signing some papers with the Vampire King and Sovereign."
Oh. I know what that meant.
The other person was Caine, looking literally exactly the same from the last time he visited.
"Azazel," he muses, coming to me and slapping my raised hand in greeting. "Or Jin. Your little supporters here throw a hissy fit every time I address you wrongly."
Jungkook answers with a grin, leaping on the bed and coming to sit beside me and cuddle against my side.
"This is Jin," he declares.
"See?" Caine says, waving vaguely in Jungkook's direction. "I can't win."
"Only Taehyung and Jungkook call me Jin," I say. "You are not welcome to."
"Good, because -" It clicks in Caine's head. "Hey."
I allow myself the liberty of a chuckle as my little supporters laugh aloud. "What are you doing here, Caine?" I ask, turning serious. "I don't have the strength to fight off your Angels today."
"He's here on official duty, Jin," Taehyung starts. "He is the Heavenly Advisor for the Fifth Aamon."
"Fancy title for an errandboy."
"Wow, rude," Caine quips at my remark. "At least have the audacity to call me a messenger."
"Mailman."
"Enough." Caine rolls his eyes at me, but it is all in good nature. "I'm here because Heaven has been restructured. The Aamons are to hold a more active part in Heavenly rulings to prevent what previously happened."
"Caine's here to update me about what goes on up there," Taehyung continues.
"He comes by every week," Jungkook pipes in.
It takes me a moment. A restructure? Heavenly rulings?
"You know that I have no knowledge about what goes on in Heaven. Run me through from the start."
"Sure," Caine starts, passing me a file that appears out of thin air. I glance at the title typed in bold. It was the Aamon Court's official report on the incident.
"Heyyyy," Taehyung says. "Stop accessing my files without my permission!"
"I need total transparency on your part, Taehyung."
"You will only access the Aamon's files through his prior authorization," I warn.
"Alright, alright," Caine responds. "We shall set up a written agreement with Heaven on this matter."
"Just for that?" Jungkook asks, resting his cheek against my shoulder.
"The restructuring is still new. The technicalities must be as clear as possible."
I catch Taehyung crinkling his nose slightly. He's not so amused.
"Ah, before I forget," Caine says. "Here."
He passes me a black satchel and I take it. The familiar weight and feel in my hand tells me what it is without the need to open it.
"I thought I lost it," I muse, opening the satchel and letting my dagger slide out into my open palm.
"Ezekiel was holding on to it. He sends his gratitude."
Jungkook takes the dagger from my hand, immediately dropping it with a yelp when his finger grazed the blade.
"Careful," Taehyung scolds.
I scan through the file, catching multiple testimonies from differing parties - Taehyung's, Jungkook's, Caine, the Aamons', the security guards, the Vampire King, his liege.
'Tell me about the incident," I say, looking up at Taehyung. He in turn, glances up at Caine who gives him a nod.
"It cannot go on record," Taehyung starts, as Caine shifts to sit on an armchair a small distance away. "But God spoke to me when He intercepted."
"He spoke to you?" I feel my brows furrowing as I stare at Taehyung. Only Prophets hear the words of God. Taehyung nods at my question. "What did He say?"
"Just one word. 'Enough.' But I honestly thought my head was going to explode."
I turn to Caine. "What does that mean? Is Taehyung a Prophet now?"
Caine shakes his head. "Prophets died out a long time ago. There will be no new ones, especially one who is an Aamon. We don't know why God spoke directly to him alone, but we're taking it as God's approval of Taehyung's rule."
"So?"
"The Angels have agreed to accept me as Aamon," Taehyung explains. "And they agreed to no longer interfere in my rule unless there is a grevious breach of conduct."
"Good," I mutter. "Hopefully your power flow won't be as affected."
Taehyung only nods.
"And what happened after He spoke to you?"
"God stopped everything. You knocked out, Gabriel was destroyed, the army of Angels backed off."
"Countless calamities have happened both upon this Earth and the Hereafter. God only chose *that* event to stop?" I tried to refrain from getting pissed, but it was difficult. I'd seen countless wars and disasters befalling both worlds, with loss of life being staggering and God had never intervened.
"The Angels were turning against the Aamons and God's command. God's Kingdom was turning into chaos. It was a calamity of a different degree," Caine explains.
"We killed the Archangels," I point out.
At that, Taehyung begins scratching the bridge of his nose. It is the loudest sign that he has something hidden. "About that…"
I squint my eyes at him. "Taehyung, I saw us killing *thousands* of Angels."
"Hundreds," Caine corrects me. "The vast number of Angels was an illusion to scare us. And God revived the Angels."
"He *WHAT*?!" Jungkook flinches violently as I yell, and I automatically place a comforting hand over his head.
"He revived the Angels," Taehyung repeats. "All of them."
"Why?" I ask, exasperated. We'd almost died trying to protect ourselves from those Angels and now they were back and alive and available to kill us again?!
"An agreement was made," Taehyung quickly explains. "The Angels had to be recreated because if not, Heaven would be in chaos. There'd be no one to execute God's Will. But God changed the ruling hierarchy. The Aamons have more power now. Decisions made by the Archangels have to go through the Aamons for approval. Oh and He revived Sobekneferu too!"
It is a very long statement made in a very short breath and it takes a moment for me to just absorb it all.
"Sobekneferu is alive?"
Taehyung nods. "God revived her."
I am quiet for a while, thinking. "I assume it was He who knocked me out?"
"Yes," Caine answers. "You were weak - dying. Any longer in Heaven and you would have burned alive. We had to send you back to Earth."
"He saved me?"
At that, Caine falls quiet. God would not save a Sin. That would defy all Heavenly objective.
"What does He want?" I growl.
"Jin," Taehyung starts. "He doesn't -"
"What does God want with me?"
He pauses, hesitating. "Jin, God didn't -"
"Taehyung, I'm not stupid. You expect me to believe He wants nothing in return? He has done *nothing* for me throughout my life and now He is suddenly so gracious to a demon like me?" I turn to Caine. "Tell me!"
"We don't know!" Caine yells in return. Jungkook immediately extracts himself from me and comes to Taehyung, scared of all the yelling. He hides beneath Taehyung's armpit for a moment as Taehyung hugs him tightly with one arm.
"We don't know why He saved you," Caine continues. "But He did."
"Maybe He's just being nice?" I glance to Jungkook looking up at me, smiling in quiet comfort. "You saved Heaven, Jin. You were willing to die to protect Heaven and maybe He's returning the favour."
I scoff, looking away. "I didn't do it for Him."
"But you did it for His Creation," the little one points out. "And you did it for His Heaven."
I fall quiet again. The eight year old had valid points.
"He's right." I shift my focus to Taehyung. "God didn't ask for anything in return. He never mentioned favours. He saved you, Jin. Just that."
"Perhaps the young child has a point, Azazel," Caine says. "God is Benevolent…upon all Creation. You are overthinking."
Maybe. It didn't seem quite like that to me.
"Tell me about the restructuring."
"As I was saying," Caine explains. "Once God recreated the Angels, He lessened their powers - and increased the Aamons'. Where previously the Aamons were answerable to the Angels, God has placed them on the same pedestal."
I turn to Taehyung, who smiles softly back at me. Taehyung would have as much influence over Heaven as the Archangels. That amount of power, on anyone, would be staggering.
"For now, this just means that decisions made by the Angels must be subject to the Aamons' approval. Most of the power is on Adam, being the most senior amongst the Aamons, but I come down here from time to time to update Taehyung. Adam is considering setting up a task force to keep track of the Angels' work and find any deviations."
"The thing is," Taehyung continues with a sigh, "there are a lot of Angels, hence a lot of work. Sobekneferu and Pakal are livid. Adam is honestly pretty stressed."
"It's a new responsibility. It will take some time to get used to," Caine says.
"What kind of decisions do Angels make?" I dislike how the question made me sound naïve, but I was truly ignorant about any of the Heavenly functions, being a demon myself.
Caine answers with a small smile. "For now, Heavenly matters shall remain between Heavenly beings and the Aamons. You are still a demon, Azazel, and although we are greatly indebted to you -"
"I understand." All in all, being a demon would still diminish my status before Heaven. I catch the look both Taehyung and Jungkook give me, but ignore it. "What about my brother, Merriham? Is he alright? How did he even get to Heaven?"
"Abducted," Caine answers. "It turns out the Archangels have been planning this for years. They'd wanted to not only take control of Heaven, but restructure Hell. They'd gotten into contact with your brother, Beelzebub, and gave him an offer he won't refuse."
"Offering to help Beelzebub become Ruler of Hell," I murmur. The pieces are starting to fall pretty quickly to me as Caine explains. That's why he managed to take over eight Circles so swiftly. He had Holy help.
He nods. "Granting Beelzebub power allowed him to initiate war. They needed an imbalance of power without the risk of actual destabilization. So they had Beelzebub offer Merriham to them, feigning death without the actual impact the death of a Sin would leave behind."
"But we managed to stop Beelzebub," I state.
"Yes. It was then the Angels realized what a threat all of you were, so they considered getting rid of Taehyung through the trials."
"I was never supposed to pass them," Taehyung says, sounding miffed.
"His sudden death would have thrown the Aamon's Court into chaos because there are no current successors. With the one tasked to bring balance between the Earth and Hereafter unavailable, Hell in disarray and Heaven basically in their own palm, the Archangels would have taken direct control of all three worlds."
I am quiet for a while, digesting all this in. "But why?" I finally ask. "Why would the Archangels do all this?"
"Because, until very recently, God has not interfered in our affairs for a very long time. It made them braver - more willing to deviate."
"…and God decides to just create them again?" I let the disbelief in my tone be audible.
"I told you, Azazel," Caine sighs. "There are no beings more competent."
"Until they repeat the exact same mistakes as before," I bite.
"Which is exactly why God increased the Aamon's power, Jin," Taehyung butts in. "I know it's hard to accept, but we just have to roll with it. This is why we're restructuring Heaven. So history won't repeat itself."
I know any further arguments about this will be rebutted the exact same way, so I drop the topic. "And Merriham?"
"He's fine," Caine assures me. "Alive and healing. Lucifer sends his regards, although he is pretty pissed that half the demon army he loaned to Heaven was killed."
I tilt my head at him, gauging what I see. "How'd you do it anyway?"
"Do what?"
"How did you convince my father to help Heaven?"
Caine dramatically rolls his eyes at my question. "Believe me, he wasn't helping Heaven. I told him you were dying. I told him if he could render help, now would be the best time."
I raise an eyebrow. "And he did?"
"By luck, I popped in when he was having a meeting with all his children - save you, Merriham and Beelzebub, of course. They saw one look at Merriham and agreed. Lucifer was obviously reluctant but…his children weren't. He followed suit."
"How did he manage to get all those demons into Heaven? He told me that it was impossible for demons to enter Heaven."
"Through death, yes of course. A demon has no soul. Its death leads to its end. But a portal from a Heavenly being can still send them there - although, like we've seen, they wouldn't last long."
"So… how did I survive for so long?"
At the question, Taehyung and Caine exchange a glance. It is a long enough glance that signalled something was wrong.
Taehyung is the first to look away, directing his attention to me. "When you were knocked out, you were already past your limit. You were broken. Your physical body was disintegrating."
"You wouldn't have survived the descent to Earth," Caine continues. "You would have died staying any longer in Heaven, you would have died the moment you entered my portal. There was nothing we could do but turn to God for help."
"God gave you a soul to keep your body together - to survive the descent," Taehyung says. I feel my eyes widen. A soul? In my demon body? "You survived and made it back here, but you wouldn't wake up. You were still too weak, but you showed signs that you were healing."
"The only thing keeping you alive was the soul in your body. You were healing because you were digesting it." Caine crosses his arms over his chest, leaning back into the armchair. "We feared that once you finished digesting it, you would die. You were still weak. You barely survived the descent to Earth. So we provided you with more souls. Each and every one of them, you consumed."
I am quiet, and all three stare at me in wary anticipation.
I'd warned Taehyung about the danger of destroying a soul, yet here I am, engulfing souls given to me. How many had I taken?
"Jin," It is Jungkook who has spoken up, straightening as he sits up. "Are you okay?"
I shift my focus to him. I'm unsure of what he sees in my gaze, but Jungkook backs away.
"I think you require a moment of privacy. I shall take my leave." I catch from my peripheral vision Caine getting up and leaving, shutting the door behind him. I don't acknowledge the movement.
I hide the feelings of frustration and disappointment building in me. My father was right. Demons would never amount to the level of a soul. No matter what we did, we could never be accountable. We could never face consequence. We could never be forgiven. We were all forsaken. Even with a soul in my demon body, I ended up eating it. There was no chance of accountability for me. No chance of forgiveness.
"I'm sorry." I look up to Taehyung staring forlornly at me.
"What are you sorry for?"
He remains quiet. There is nothing for him to apologize for, and he knows it. This was never his fault to begin with.
"You're very frustrated, Jin," Jungkook says out of the blue.
"You can sense it?"
"I'm a lot more sensitive to your emotions since becoming a vampire. Just yours though."
"It's nothing," I say, addressing both Taehyung and Jungkook. "I'm disappointed in myself."
"Why?" The younger one asks me.
"I did this with no expectations. I didn't expect to suddenly be sanctified. But the chance of accountability - that's impossible now."
I look up to see the both of them stare back at me. It would be a difficult concept to understand for individuals already given accountability.
I quell their worries with a small smile. "Apologies. I guess I'm just frustrated that I'm weak."
"You're not weak," Jungkook frowns. "A demon up in Heaven. Your brother almost died just being there, but you were able to fight and kill Uriel in one blow, not to mention all the other Archangels. You're not weak."
I raise an eyebrow. "And how did you know that?"
"I read the report," he giggles. "It was like a storybook."
I roll my eyes, leaning back to rest my weight against the palm of my hands.
"It was a cool storybook," Jungkook continues. "You saved a lot of people who would never even think of saving you."
I pause, straightening again to study Jungkook.
"You risked your life for people who wouldn't even give you the time of day, at a place where you knew you could very well die. That makes you a lot better than those so called Angels of God in my book."
It takes me a moment, as I tilt my head to the side staring at the little one. "For someone very young, you have a very wide vocabulary."
The little one's smile spreads into a grin. "You're a good person, Jin," he continues. "And if the Angels can't see that, then they're flawed. And blind. And stupid."
"Language," both Taehyung and I tut.
"Not lying though."
"He has a point," Taehyung nods. "I'm not saying I'm biased, but you have helped me beyond my ability to repay you. I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for you and the only things the Angels have given me is trouble."
"You're right about that," I concede. "I despise the fact that we will have to work with them again."
"Unfortunately, there's not much I can do."
"What if all this happens again?" I murmur. "What if it starts all over - the Angels, the trials, the war. What if those Angels just go full circle?"
"It won't."
I say nothing. Flashes of memories play in my mind - seeing my brother who I'd thought had died, barely even alive, seeing the Angels fight, slaughtering my demonkind, seeing the Aamons and Caine by my side, fighting for their lives, for *our* lives, for the continued rule of the Fifth Aamon.
I feel a warm weight on my hand and look up to see Taehyung holding on tightly to it. He smiles reassuringly.
"It won't happen again, Jin. I'll protect Hell from the entirety of Heaven if I have to."
"Who says you would be strong enough?"
"I have a lot of backup," he muses. "The Aamons, Lucifer, your siblings and their demon army."
"And me!" Jungkook cheers, "and Jin!"
I hide a smirk. Trust these two to make light of any situation. "You speak like your biasness towards Hell would not throw your own power off balance."
"I'm not biased towards Hell. I'm doing what I believe is right."
"Not many people would argue that siding Hell over Heaven is right," I muse, resting my chin against my propped up hand.
"I'll protect those who need protection, doesn't matter where they're from." Taehyung straightens, moving a small distance away from me. "And I've got my powers. I should be fine."
"That reminds me," I say, "You struggled with your Heavenly powers in the beginning. How did you manage to get control of them so fast?"
"Peace of mind."
I raise an eyebrow, signalling that I wasn't really getting it.
"The Aamon's power is not based on control, as I thought it was. It is based on emotion. The calmer, the better. And you need a pretty powerful memory anchor to keep yourself calm in battle."
"So what did you think off?"
"I saw the Archangels charging towards you in Heaven. The thought of you dying kicked me into overdrive."
"So your peace of mind is me dying?" That didn't sound very… flattering.
"No, the thought of you dying created an anchor that kept me in *focus*. If I didn't have my powers in check, you would die. Worked like a charm."
I still wasn't sure how to feel about that.
"So does it still work?"
Taehyung shrugs. "After I got my soul cleansed, things worked a lot smoother. Maybe you were right. Maybe it was just Heaven interfering with my powers. But since the restructure and the cleanse, the power comes a lot easier. Watch."
He leans forward, a hand against my cheek. "Think of a happy memory."
"How far back?"
"Doesn't matter. As long as the thought of it still brings you joy."
Taehyung stretches out his other hand so that it points to the space by the bed as I choose the memory and play it in my head. A white trailing light emits out of his hand, stretching over the entirety of the room, slowly morphing into shapes and colours.
A scene from a few days ago plays directly from my mind onto the space by the bed. In it, Jungkook speaks animatedly while Taehyung laughs and I drink coffee. Breakfast is on the table, and Jungkook's books are strewn to the side. He is getting ready for tuition at the Hunter's Court.
Little Jungkook squeals in excitement as he sees his image playing before him. This moment is one of the few moments of total peace and safety the three of us have - the half hour of breakfast before Jungkook is off to learn, and Taehyung starts his duties.
The scene vanishes as Taehyung's hand falls away from my face and he turns to look at me. He has that look on his face.
"Aww?!" He basically screams. I let him have the moment.
"What do you think of when you use Heaven's powers now?"
"Protecting everyone," he answers. "Keeping you and Jungkook safe. Not getting my a$$ fried."
"Has it worked well so far?"
"Did you *see* what I just showed you? It works perfect. For now."
Doubt. Good. He was prepared for a possibility of it not working. Or he was just lacking confidence.
"Yes. It was amazing. But you realise that's something I can do with a spell, right?"
"No way! You're more powerful than me even when I went through the trial and that boring @ss canonization ceremony?"
I let myself smile. Taehyung's idiocy was back, and along with it, a sense of normalcy after the endless drama of the past few days.
"The day will come when you'll supercede me in power, don't worry. I had hundreds of thousands of years of practice."
"Ugh but I don't wanna be Aamon for hundreds of thousands of years! This shiit is tiring!"
"And I don't wanna live for hundreds and thousands of years," Jungkook woefully mewls. "All my friends would be dead."
I laugh. I can't help it. The euphoria of making it alive out of the intensity of the battle in Heaven is slowly getting to me. Yes, I'd proven that I could never be forgiven since I could only ingest a given soul. Yes, Heaven was in turmoil due to the restructuring. Yes, the Angels who basically tried to destroy Hell as I knew it got away Scott free.
But I made it. *We* made it.

"A lot on your mind?"
I peer over my shoulder to see Caine coming towards me, before he takes a seat by my side.
"Yes," I answer. "The first being how you'd find me."
Our legs dangle precariously over the ledge of the hotel Taehyung was still using as his quarters. Taehyung's room was but a floor below us, the forty fifth floor of the hotel that was being slowly taken over by Taehyung and his troupe of guards.
Caine shrugs, reaching into his pocket to take out a pack of cigars, one which he holds between his teeth and another he offers me. I wordlessly accept it before I flick it over the edge of the rooftop we're sitting on, and stare as the tiny instrument of human death falls to the ground below us.
"Hey," he mumbles, more unamused than offended.
"Smoking reminds me of Hell," I say. A drop from this height would probably kill Taehyung. Why did we choose to take a room so high up again? "Nothing but fire, ash and smoke."
"Humans regard cigars as a luxury." Caine uses his dagger to cut the tip off and lights the cigar up with a spell.
"Humans are notorious for committing suicide," I answer. "Even subconsciously."
He doesn't answer, taking one long drag as I stare at the sight below me. Countless high rise buildings, flashing neon lights and loud noises. This was Los Angeles as the world knew it.
"I didn't get a chance to thank you."
I turn to Caine. "For what?"
"Saving my life back in Heaven. Turns out I was near death after being hit by Gabriel."
"You saved mine," I answer, staring out into the distance as Caine takes a drag. "I thought you said you weren't helping me save Taehyung. But you did. You ended up fighting for your life for me. I would've probably died from that inferno if you and Adam hadn't saved us."
Caine chuckles. "I don't know why I did it. I have never been the selfless type. But it was the right decision. Taehyung is a worthy Aamon and you are a powerful ally. And my father has started speaking to me again, after a hundred thousand years of ignoring my existence."
I chuckle at that. "You have a lot of catching up to do."
We lapse into comfortable silence, until Caine breaks it again.
"It is not my place to say."
"Then don't say it."
"But I'll say it anyway." He takes another drag, before he holds the cigar between his fingers as he stares out the horizon. "Taehyung will not last long as an Aamon. He is worthy, yes, but too empathetic. Too caring. Many will step on his head and crush him. Just like Sobekneferu."
"I know."
"Your mission to get him to kill you has long failed."
"I know."
"And you continuing to stay with him will only endanger him further."
"I know that too," I answer in deadpan.
"But you won't leave him," he concludes. "And from what I've seen so far, you would die for him. You care for him. Selflessly."
I am quiet at that.
"You are starting to develop traces of humanity," he continues. "Beyond that of Sin. It seems to blow Adam's mind that you would go out of your way to protect Taehyung. You hurdled into Heaven with suicide in mind, and yet never batted an eyelid at the prospect of death."
"Why does it disturb him so much?"
"You don't see it? God favoured you over the Angels. God favours humanity over all Creation."
"You think I'm developing a soul on my own," I say, raising an eyebrow as I turn to him.
"Yes. There can be no other reasonable explanation for what both you and God have done."
I roll my eyes, staring into the distance. "Or," I start. "Both God and I are known to do whatever the fcuk we want. Hence, the both of us did whatever the fcuk we want."
Caine doesn't look convinced. I sigh internally.
"What made you do it then?"
"Do what?" I ask in turn.
"Be so willing to die for him. You went up to Heaven alone."
I take a moment to consider an answer that would appease not only him, but myself as well.
"I don't know," I sigh. "I just know that I would willingly die for him."
"Have you heard of the quote from Don Quixote - whether it is better to be loved or feared by all?"
I nod.
"There is a quiet quality in Taehyung. He may not be powerful, or frightening, nor is he a natural born leader. But people like him. There is this *thing* in him that makes him likable, almost trustworthy. He came up to Heaven alone, but he had the three past Aamons, the demons of Hell, the two of us and God fighting for him. He had *Adam* and *Lucifer* on his side. Do you know the strings most people must pull to get them to even look in your direction? Do you know how blessed you must be to have *God* on your side?"
I am quiet, processing his words.
"If anything, Taehyung's strength is in the way he is loved by others. He will always have people helping him, and that is better than any amount of fear or respect others might have for you."
"It's not his fault things turned out the way they did."
"I didn't say it was his fault. He is a good person," Caine agrees. "Selfless, caring. Endearingly naïve and a tad childish."
"Very childish," I correct.
"Yes." Caine doesn't continue, and I realise that he's staring straight at me. I sigh once more.
"I want to protect him. He is a whirlwind, yes, but he's bringing about changes many leaders are too afraid to make. He moves on empathy and doesn't seem to be distracted by worldly gain. He is inexperienced, but he is learning at accelerated levels."
"You care very deeply for him. And him, for you. I never thought I'd live to see the day anyone would cry over a demon. No offense," Caine says as he takes another drag.
"Taehyung is a crybaby. He can, will, and has, literally cried over spilt milk."
Caine chuckles. "I think the two of you should stay together. You make a powerful team. The Fifth Aamon and the Heir to the kingdom of Hell. And the little child, too, the demon-lycan-vampire hybrid. He seems to enjoy referring to the three of you as a family. Imagine the quaking of your enemies' boots."
I raise an eyebrow. "That's a first."
He smirks, tapping the ashes off the cigar. "Taehyung, as I have said, is a worthy Aamon. Good traits, from all that I've seen. And he brings out the humanity in you. So continue protecting him, and may he help you find whatever it is you are searching for."
The sun is starting to reach mid-day as Caine flicks his cigar down to the city below. Taehyung would be up soon.

I enter Taehyung's bedroom to see him barely awake, staring at his phone as Jungkook still slumbers beside him, tangled in a mess of sheets. He smiles when he sees me, stretching languidly as he puts the phone to the side.
Ever since his turning, Jungkook has become naturally nocturnal, falling asleep the moment the sun rises and waking up a few hours before dusk. Taehyung of course, has followed in his little one's footsteps since Jungkook still sleeps by Taehyung's side.
"Good morning," he practically purrs.
"It's noon."
"Such a pocketful of sunshine," he sighs, rolling around momentarily in bed, before he sits up. His hair is a full on mess and his eyes are still swollen from sleep.
"You still keep a phone on you?" I ask. "How in the world does it survive being thrown around like a ragdoll?"
"Uh, yeah," Taehyung answers, sounding like he's pointing out the obvious. "How else can I contact you?"
"Taehyung, we are telepathically *linked*. You can hear me in your thoughts."
"Yeah, well. Not everyone has our telepathy."
He suddenly throws himself upon Jungkook, hugging the slumbering little one tightly as I take a seat at the foot of the bed.
"You're in a chipper mood," I point out as a little unhappy mewl of 'mama!' sounds from Jungkook.
"You're here," Taehyung hums. "And I'm here and Jungkook is here. Finally a family unit again. We're safe and rested and healthy. I'm thankful."
I allow myself to smirk as I cross my arms over my chest. "You have a long day ahead," I point out as Taehyung reaches for his phone again and scrolls through some apps.
"Bring it on," he answers, eyes glued to the screen.
"And training with me will continue as per normal."
"Dope."
"And so will school."
This time, he looks up, straight at me.
"Now I have your attention."
"You've always had my attention," he points out. "But now, you have my disdain too."
"School is not so bad. It keeps you smart."
"It only makes you depressed about the world. Capitalism kills, politics is money-biased, patriotism is brainwash, no one is equal and the eleven richest people on Earth could end world hunger six times over but THEY WON'T!"
"Wow," I say. "Whatever happened to the pocketful of sunshine."
"His dreams are DEAD. Just like the millions of children who are forced into marriage, child labour and are victims of exploitation."
"You know what. I'm going to have a word with your tutor."
"The world is unequal and unfair and it's driving me crazy." Taehyung suddenly throws his phone across the room and it lands on the couch a distance away.
He sits up right then, pouting as he stares at me.
"You can stare at me all day. You're still going to school."
He huffs, blowing a bit of his bangs up.
"Fine," he murmurs, before the expression on his face changes, shifting to that of concern. "How are you feeling?"
"I'm sorry?"
"How are you feeling," he repeats.
"The same as I was yesterday."
Taehyung nods. "I missed you. When you were asleep."
"I'm awake now."
"Caine thought you wouldn't wake up. He was prepared to bring you back to Hell for your own funeral."
"Taehyung, you know I wouldn't die that -"
Taehyung's eyes go vapid as he stares at my chest.
"Every time you ingested a soul, you died. And I would panic and call for Caine and he'd feed you another. Over and over, I watched you die. And every time you died, Jungkook would just be screaming in pain, because he said the link to you was lost. He'd just scream and scream and scream until another soul was in you. I saw him like that every few days, saw you dying, yet there was nothing I could do. I was going to go crazy."
That's why Jungkook had been the first to come to me when I woke up. He was probably finally relieved from the absence of pain. I couldn't imagine how much pain he's been in the past month.
"If you die for real, Jungkook would die too. And if the both of you die, then there won't be a reason for me to stay alive."
"I'm sorry."
"It's not your fault," I hear him say. "I'm too dependent on you two."
Well. I wasn't exactly expecting him to say that.
"It isn't a bad thing to be dependent on others. Creation was not made to function in total isolation."
"Adam says relationships create weakness. That's why he was kicked off of Heaven in the first place. Because Eve was his weakness."
"Adam is a fool," I answer. "A fool who is unable to see his own weaknesses yet dissects others for their own."
Taehyung curls his legs against his chest as he stares at me, leaning against the bed post.
"Eve was tempted by Lucifer, as all souls are. She made a mistake and Adam was unable to understand. If anything, Adam is a sociopath believing he is perfect compared to all other Creation."
Taehyung blinks, his wide eyes bearing into my own.
"All Earthly Creation require relationships to mentally sustain them. And there is strength in numbers. Lucifer would never be able to rule Hell without his children and his armies. You, me, Jungkook. We would be a lot weaker alone. We would never have been able to make it this far without each other. I would not even be alive without you."
He is quiet for but a moment. "You really don't think it's bad for us to stay together?"
"Do you really think you would've made it this far without me?"
Taehyung appears to hesitate for a moment. I know he has a question resting on his lips. I wait patiently.
"Remember when I rejected Heaven's invite and was acting erratic?"
I nod. The sight was not really one you'd forget.
"You told me whatever emotions I was feeling, whatever was in me, wasn't me. It was you. Because of your influence. And our constant energy transfers."
Again, I nod. "It was also causing your physical body to deteriorate. Do you still have those bruises?"
He shakes his head. "So you're telling me, all the thoughts, all the emotions were never mine?"
"Not all of them. But yes, you were heavily affected by my own emotions. Whatever I felt, you probably felt too. That's why Heaven needed to severe the link."
"When I was under the influence, I felt something." He tilts his head slightly, in a way that made his bangs fall into his eyes. I reach out to brush his bangs to the side before I could stop myself. "Attraction. To you." I freeze at his words. "So my question is, was that from me or you?"
"You're really asking if a demon would have romantic emotions?"
"You're saying they don't? Jungkook was a product of a demon and a lycan getting together."
"A one night stand. He was cast away by both parents."
"So are demons not capable of anything other than sin?" Taehyung stares at me in a way I've never seen before. He was reading me like a book.
"I've seen you, Jin. You are capable of so much more than sin. You're kind, selfless, empathetic -"
"Stop it," I say. "Enough."
"You're backing into a corner."
"I am not."
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing. Taehyung, enough. I need to get work done." I stand to leave.
"What are you so afraid of?"
I pause. Taehyung stares defiantly up at me as I stare steadfastly at the door.
"Answer me."
"I don't want to complicate things further. You are the Aamon. I am Azazel. It stops at that."
"You love me."
It is such a jarring statement that I turn to him. Taehyung hasn't moved. His eyes are fixated upon me and I've never seen him more calculated.
"But you are afraid of further complicating things. You're the Heir of Hell, and I am the Aamon. And you're afraid that if it fails, so will whatever comfort you've built around the idea of the three of us as a family."
"Don't bring Jungkook into this," I bite. I take a step towards him, and see the expression in his eyes change. He is wary. "If you want to know the truth so bad, then I will give you the truth. A demon is not capable of establishing romantic connections. Lust, yes. A relationship that is advantageous to them, yes. But no offspring of Lucifer has ever established links other than that because it is in our nature to be attracted to power and to want to have it in our hands. So the attraction I feel to you is not real, Taehyung. It is in my very nature to see power and want it."
"You're lying to yourself."
"Are you saying you know me better than I know myself?"
"So are you saying you're only by my side because you hope to take my powers from me one day."
"No!"
Taehyung pushes himself off the bed, taking a step towards me. He carries himself like someone in a state of anger, and I poise myself ready for a verbal onslaught.
"You're afraid."
"What is it that you want, Taehyung?" I explode. "Do you demand a relationship with me? Do you demand childish kisses and cheesy words and light touches like a little school child? I am a *demon*. I am not designed for anything other than sin and calculated moves that will help me be a step above others. If you would stop being so childish -"
Taehyung practically lunges towards me, a firm hand against my lips.
*If Jungkook wakes up to the sight of the both of us screaming at each other, so HELP ME, GOD.*
We stand frozen as we are, the both of us staring lasers into each other's eyes. Neither of us speak, be it verbally or telepathically.
As the seconds pass, Taehyung's hand against my lips softens. I realise that he is pressed against me, a hand against my shoulder to support himself while the other now rests gently against my lips. I have a firm arm around his waist as I'd steadied him when he ran to me.
I slowly, almost gingerly reach up with my free hand and place a firm hold on his wrist, pushing his hand away.
"You're afraid to lose me," he continues, as if my tirade of words had fallen on deaf ears. "Because you're afraid of the attention it will bring to my head. You're afraid to lose yourself, because the walls you've built come second nature to you. And you're afraid you're not capable of a selfless love. But I know you, Jin. I know you."
He stares up at me with the same look in his eyes that disarms me, like I am the sun that shines light, the moon that guides the lost. I hate it.
"Why did you do it?"
"Do what?" Taehyung answers.
"Offer to give yourself up for punishment to Azrael."
"I chose to save you."
"A stupid decision," I growl.
"Was it?"
The answer disarms me.
"I'll always fight for you," he quietly says, all the while never breaking his gaze from me. "And the only way you can stop me is to kill me."
I let go of his wrist, and his hand rests against my cheek. The warmth of his skin is addictive, like a definite presence bent on proving it was there - that it was here to stay. For a few moments, it is all that matters.
I move against the logic of my head, and close the distance between us, resting my lips against his.
I see him close his eyes and I follow suit, pulling him closer. Just as he always does, Taehyung smells of strawberries and vanilla. I deepen the kiss, feeling like I could never have enough of him. He tastes of mint and just like his touch, the taste and smell of him is addictive, nearly intoxicating. I gently push him away.
Taehyung straightens, and opens his eyes. I see myself reflected in them. I look…afraid.
His hand drops away and so does mine.
"You're right," I finally confess. "I am afraid - of many things. I have many fears I am not yet ready to face. But the biggest fear I have is of losing you. So before I give you the world, I shall give you safety - and the promise that I shall protect you with my life. Anything else is secondary."
Taehyung is frowning lightly as he looks back at me.
"Now if you'll excuse me, I have family matters to attend to."
My human guise falls away, and I morph into my demon form as I stand before him. Taehyung is suddenly tiny as he practically cranes his neck to look up at the monstrous nightmare that is my true form. He is not afraid.
*Wait for me to return.*
A small smile replaces the frown, and I metaphorically feel myself falling to my knees. He was disarming me.
*I always do.*