These Pearly Gates are Cages Part 1

Kim Taehyung, Divine Mess-Up

Jin is sitting at the study table facing my bed, quietly stirring his cup of tar he called coffee as he reads his book. I know he doesn't need sleep but he looks like he's just woken up. His hair is an aesthetically pleasing mess and the top two buttons of his white shirt are open. He pushes the curtains behind him to the side and the sudden stream of sunlight makes me curl against my pillow.
"It's noon."
"Good morning to you too," I murmur, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I instinctively reach over to the other side of the King sized bed, finding for my little one.
"Jungkook is at tuition."
I thump my head face first into my pillow, groaning loudly. "Why is he growing up so fast?!"
"Because he is part demon and accelerated growth is normal for hybrids."
I open an eye to throw an accusatory look at Jin, who sips his coffee, still focused on his book. "Such a pocketful of sunshine."
"Part Angel," he answers, barely batting an eyelid in my direction.
I finally push myself to sit up, running a hand through my hair to detangle any snarls. "What's my schedule for today?"
Along with being my personal bodyguard, trainer and all-round nagger, Jin also had the misfortune of being my secretary, arranging my schedules and meetings. Unlike most secretaries however, the schedules were never made with my approval - or knowledge, for that matter.
"School. Then a meeting with the Vampire King and his liege. Then training."
"Liege as in his superior or liege as in his subordinate?"
"Your favourite Sovereign."
"Oh."
Something clicks in my brain just then, and I whip my head to face Jin.
He's said the 'S' word.
"You signed me up for school?"
"The Aamon cannot be stupid."
"Jin!" I was not that stupid. I'd passed elementary school.
"A tutor will come to teach a set array of subjects."
"Such as?"
"Philosophy. Politics. Economy. Natural World Order. Global Culture and Ethics. Dark Arts. First Aid. Math."
"I think I'd rather remain stupid."
Jin gives me a look. I get off from bed and head to the bathroom, washing up before I grab my toothbrush to brush my teeth.
"What's the meeting with the Sovereign about?" I ask him as I lean against the doorway. I squeeze the toothpaste onto my toothbrush and start brushing.
"The Vampire King wants someone dead."
I nearly swallow the damned toothbrush from gasping so loud from shock and had to take a moment to cough up toothpaste suds.
"ESHKOOSH MEH?!"
"You heard me."
"Doshnthinusataidontkillfeeful!"
*Taehyung,* Jin murmurs, voice echoing in my mind. *We are telepathically linked.*
*Doesn't he know I don't kill people? I'm not a hired assassin!*
"That's what I told him," Jin answers, flipping a new page on his book. "But he wants you to at least listen to consider. The Vampire King rarely ever seeks out treaties or alliances. It would be a good idea to establish a good relationship with him. He is, after all, the Supreme leader of all vampires worldwide."
I don't reply, brushing my teeth harder as I think.
"Oghei."
Jin glances at me. "Hmm?"
*Okay. But I'll probably reject him.*
He only shrugs. "You're the Aamon."
*Hell yeah, I am,* I answer mentally as I turn around to stride into the bathroom. 

"I *hate* school," I murmur with conviction, head against the table as I rest amongst my books.
"Malala Yousefzai would kill to let her village girls be in your shoes."
"Who?"
"And that is *exactly* why you need school," Jin points out, reaching for the exercise book I used to write notes. He skims through it lightly.
"Is she a Head of Court?"
"No."
"Is she a future Head of Court?"
"No."
"Then she must not be that important."
"Taehyung, she's currently the world's youngest Nobel Peace Prize receipient."
"Oh. What did she do?"
"She took a bullet to the head from the Taliban to advocate for girls' rights to education."
I snort. "I know a lot of people who've taken a lot more for a larger cause."
"She's human," Jin points out, closing the notebook and sliding it back to me. "Don't undermine another's sacrifices just because you don't go through their struggles."
I frown. Now that made me feel bad. 
"Maybe I'll donate to her cause and help her build a few schools."
"Do not bring attention to yourself, especially to the human world. Let the humans settle their problems. You have enough on your plate."
I sit upright, arranging all my books and stationery to the side. Rosé comes to take them from me and I thank her.
"What good is a leader who cannot help," I murmur, more to myself than to him.
"Helping them is not the issue. It is the multiple individuals at your tail that would utilize every action you make and turn it into part of their agenda."
I keep quiet at that. Jin was right. Me being a celebrity had already endangered the humans I hung around with when I was suddenly elected as Aamon and the Seraphim attacked my agency's headquarters. Scores of people had died.
The best way to help anyone would be to completely stay away from them.
"So," I ask, changing the topic. "What time will the meeting be?"
"I think you'll have to postpone."
I turn to Jin. Postpone the Vampire King? He'd travelled all the way, not to mention calling off a meeting with someone as powerful as him would make some Courts pretty upset.
The look on his face has me pausing.
"Jin?"
"Get down." He immediately stands, slamming his shields down around us.
An explosion of light hits the entire stronghold, and I instinctively duck, feeling the weight of my guards throwing themselves on top of me. 
It is nothing but pure light that blinds us, a distinct power that drives us to our knees. The humming that followed hinted very strongly what the presence was.
A Heavenly being.
The humming increases in volume, until it feels like my eardrums are going to burst. I press my hands over my ears, finding myself screaming along with it.
And then the light dies away just as suddenly, bringing that annoying sound along with it.
"WAHT THE FUHUCK IS UP WITH THESE PEOPLE ANNOUNCING THEIR ARRIVAL?" 
The guards aren't even off me and I've already started ranting. They finally do so and I sit upright, eyes immediately on Jin staring at something behind me. It would probably be an Angel, since my back was against the balcony.
Well too bad, if the Angel demanded my audience, it could freaking WAIT since it had interrupted my conversation.
"I HAVE A PART DEMON WOLF-CHILD WHO IS ALLERGIC TO HOLY LIGHT AND THESE IDIOT ANGELS WALTZ IN WITH SPOTLIGHTS. CAN'T THEY JUST FREAKING CALL OR SET AN APPOINTMENT OR -"
"Taehyung. Hush."
I whirl around, my annoyance probably clear as day against my face, seeing an elder man standing in front of the balcony, hands clasped behind his back. He is smiling as if he'd done nothing wrong.
"Who are you?" I bluntly ask, not liking the way he just….stood there.
"Cain," Jin answers for him as he makes way to my side of the table, immediately offering me his elbow. I accept, resting my hand against the crook of his elbow as he gently pulls me to stand.
Now this feels weird.
Why was Jin acting so formal?
"Cain?"
"From the Bible," Cain pipes in. He reminds me of a very well-aged man, with his fit physique and shock of grey hair. His beard wasn't so bad either.
Jin bows to him, and since he had my arm connected to his, I am forced to follow. The guards in the room blindly copy. Cain bows right back.
"Huh?" I blink blankly as we straighten.
"From the lore Cain and Abel," Jin explains further.
"Excuse me, it was no lore," Cain chuckles.
"It was exaggerated, by all accounts."
Cain only shrugs, smile never lost from his face as he crosses his arms over his chest. "Still a fun story."
I stare the old man down. "You *killed* your brother and you call it a fun story?"
"Says the person working with Lucifer's Son."
I gawk, effectively rendered speechless. I turn to Jin, mouth still hanging open like a fish. "D-d-did he -- Did he just say that aloud??"
Jin doesn't even blink. "What brings you here, Cain?"
"An audience with the both of you. Shan't you entertain me?"
"No," I answer, whipping my head to face him. "I have another appointment."
Cain only smiles, eyes on Jin. "Well?"
"The Aamon is always open to diplomatic relations."
Again, I turn to him. "Jin!"
*There are Angels surrounding the hotel.*
I blink, not expecting Jin's voice to echo in my head. I face Cain, letting him know I was still wary and unhappy of his presence. "If it is so important, we can discuss it in my room."
Cain nods, smiling again.

"Here."
I blink, staring dumbly at the letter Cain has presented to me. I don't take it. I know procedure.
Jin takes it instead, unceremoniously ripping the envelope open and skimming through the letter before he passes it to me. I can't tell anything from his reaction.
But then again, when have I ever.
I take a moment to read the letter. 
"…so?" I murmur, looking up at Cain.
The old man only chuckles, shaking his head in amusement as he turns to Jin. "You do a lackluster job of training him."
"Hey," I shoot back defensively. "It's not him. It's the letter. So what if someone's being canonized?"
"Canonization is getting increasingly rare," Jin patiently explains as he takes the letter from me, folding it as he places it back into the envelope and then flicks it onto my bed.
"Only Catholics practice canonization," I point out, pretty sure I was wrong but ignoring the gnawing little voice at the back of my head. "A lot of other religions don't. What's the big deal about it anyway?"
"His Highness, as reigning Aamon, is of course expected to attend," Cain explains. "Canonization doesn't make anyone a Saint. But those canonized go through ceremony in recognition of their deeds on Earth."
"Oh," I mutter. "So I'm expected to go up to Heaven to attend?"
"Yes."
I turn to Jin, who is staring out the window, probably at Angels I couldn't see.
"Will you take me there?"
"Aamon, Azazel is a Demon," Cain points out. "He won't be able to step anywhere near the pearly gates."
"But he's part -"
"Still a demon, Your Highness."
Jin turns to me then, face carefully blank.
"Oh. I won't be going then. Thank you for the invite."
Cain raises an eyebrow really, really high at my answer. "You are… declining?"
"Yeah," I say, reaching for the invitation card on my bed and handing it back to him again. "I'm untrained, remember? I can't go up and come back down as and when I want. I caused enough of a ruckus getting back from Hell."
"The Aamon has never declined an invitation from Heaven." Cain sounds - and looks - pretty floored.
I shrug. "First time for everything."
"Do you really want to risk relations with Heaven, Your Highness?"
I resist the urge to laugh. "Hell has provided more help to me than Heaven ever has so far."
Cain gives me a look that seems to say 'well, you're right about that'. He turns to Jin, who doesn't appear to be following on to our conversation. "What say you, Azazel?"
I turn to Jin too, and for a moment, he glances between the both of us.
"Speaking neutrally, this would be a good opportunity for you to learn about Heaven and explore your powers and responsibilities." My eyebrows go up to my hairline as I listen to him. Was Jin actually….encouraging me to go. "All Aamons are expected to attend, and that includes the souls of last Aamons."
"Wait, what??? Ezekiel will be there?"
"In all probability, yes."
"And Adam, the First Aamon, Sobekneferu, the Third," Cain adds in.
"What about the Second?" I ask.
"Enheduanna was killed in the previous Civil War in Hell, Taehyung," Jin quietly reminds me.
"Oh." 
"Keep the card," Cain says, pushing it back to me. "Consider the offer and when you wish to go, Heaven will send their consort."
He leaves the room just like that, and I assume by the sudden explosion of blinding light that follows, takes the Angels with him.
"Is he some kind of heavenly bellboy or something?"
"Cain does earthly favours for the Lord from time to time," Jin answers in an exhausted sigh, "Endless retribution for killing his brother, I suppose."
"Why hasn't he died?" I ask. Which is a legit question. Being the direct son of Adam and still be alive while everyone you know is dead must be taxing. 
"God placed a mark on Cain to never be killed. He is to walk with his sin until time reaches an end."
"Punishment to walk the Earth forever doesn't sound so bad."
Jin gives me a small smile, a smile that signalled there was so, so much more that I needed to know. 
"I think we can still make it to your meeting with the Vampire king if we hurry."
"Now?" I glance at the clock. The meeting was scheduled to be at eight. It was eight twenty-five. "There's no way we'll -"
Jin interrupts me by grabbing my hand, entwining his fingers with mine.
"What? - Oh crap."
I feel the ground below me give way as we shift.

We land in the Hunter's Court, where my meetings with Heads are usually held. The landing is jarring as always, because my presence somehow always scrambles Jin's magic in Djinn form.
I barely manage to regain my balance when I see Louis hurry towards me, slight panic playing on his strong European features.
"Your Highness," he breathes, forgetting the No-Touching-The-Aamon protocol as he pulls me forward, grabbing my hand and leading the way. "You're late."
"I know. Sorry. I had a sudden -"
"It matters not. The Vampire King has been waiting the past hour."
"I'm only half an hour late," I point out, glancing over my shoulder to see Jin tailing from behind. 
"The Vampire King is a stickler for time. He cannot leave his throne for lengthy periods."
"Then why is he so early," I retort, slightly miffed.
"Taehyung," Jin warns.
"Sorry."
We stop before the pair of heavy oak doors leading into the meeting room. It's guarded by six guards - a pair of my own, the Hunters' and the vampires'. Wholly unnecessary, if you ask me. Threats and assassination attempts could easily happen from inside, especially if you deal with the Afterlife as often as me.
Louis reaches for the door, knocking only once before he opens it for me to step through. I nod my thanks before I enter, and Louis shuts the door behind me. 
Oh .
I whirl around, a hand immediately on the door handle. My touch lasts a fraction of a second before I pull it back, cradling it against my chest. 
Burns. It's enchanted.
What the hell.
"Your Highness, Fifth Aamon, Kim Taehyung."
I freeze. Was that the Vampire King? Was he going to attack me? Would I stand a chance?
"My bodyguard goes wherever I go." Well, at least my voice wasn't shaking.
"I apologize for that. I just need a moment's privacy with you."
Warily, I turn to face him.
The Vampire King sits at the head of the oval table, the Head Sovereign - the person I'd seen growing up - standing by his side.
The Vampire King and I stare at each other momentarily, before realization hits me.
"YOU'RE the Vampire King?!"
"….and you're the Aamon?"
I glance at the Sovereign, who says nothing, only shrugging.
Before me *literally* sits Jung Yunho from the legendary Kpop boyband TVXQ, staring at me with equal disbelief.
"The most powerful being in current times looks like that," Yunho wonders. With awe.
"Hey!" I fight to keep the blush working up my cheeks down. There was literally no need to attack my looks.
Yunho only breaks into an easy smile, and the frightening air of authority he'd been carrying around him is no more. He stands as he heads towards me.
"I must apologize for not keeping up with current times. Strifes within my community keep me busy." And he stands before me, hands clasped behind his back, as was the respectful way to stand before an Aamon. 
Not like I made it mandatory anyway.
"Congratulations on your ascension, Your Highness. I hadn't been expecting a member of such a known boyband to be Aamon."
"Same here," I murmur, glancing at the Sovereign again.
The Vampire King laughs, taking it all in stride. "Yes, well… my ascension hasn't been the easiest. I've been kept so busy that I hardly venture out my cave."
Seems like Yunho and I had a lot more in common than we thought.
"How long has it been since you became King?" I ask, out of curiosity.
Yunho hums for a moment, squinting his eyes before he glances back at the Sovereign. "How long has it been, Yoochun?"
"Eight years."
"Ah," Yunho answers, turning back to me. "We ascended together, you see. Cousins, Yoochun and I."
"And members of the same boyband too."
"Not since we got too busy with duties. Now it's just Sovereign Yoochun and King Yunho." Yunho looks slightly miffed.
"Stop being such a wuss, Yunho," Yoochun murmurs, rolling his eyes.
The Vampire King says nothing, only grinning before he heads back to his seat. "Best we get on to business. I don't want to waste too much of our time, Your Highness."
"Uhhhhh, you can just call me Taehyung. I don't like being called that."
The Sovereign grins as both he and Yunho share a look. "I told you he's a lot like you."
I take the seat to the Vampire King's right and sit down as Yoochun sits across from me. He takes out a notebook and starts writing.
"I'm sure you know why I requested to see you, Taehyung." 
I turn to Yunho, whose easy smile is gone and the frightening air of authority returns. How does one switch between the two so fast?
"You want me to kill someone."
"On the contrary, we will do the killing. You will only have to ensure the person's soul is destroyed."
"Why?" Yunho didn't look like the type of person to kill people as and when he liked.
Yunho leans forward, resting his elbows against the table. "Have you heard of the Anthrax War, Taehyung?"
I shake my head.
"Eight years ago, a member of my own kind betrayed me end my people. The betrayal was so systematic and brutal that 30% of the vampire population and half the population of Hunters was wiped out in a single week. "
"But I thought vampires and hunters were allies."
"We are now. Once upon a time, we weren't."
I shake my head, leaning back against the seat. "I don't understand. What does this have to do with me destroying someone's soul?"
"A reason the Anthrax War was so deadly was because of the access the individual had to spells and power, strong enough to summon a God - or a supernatural being not from this Earth. For years, in order to prevent something of that scale from happening again, my people have been destroying any books and articles pertaining to those spells used to annihilate us."
"But someone has all those in their heads." I was starting to piece things together.
Yunho nods. "Normally, it would not be on our agenda to terminate individuals but this particular person has been on our DEATH list for quite some time."
"DEATH list?"
"Danger of Extermination and Annihilation of Territory and Humanity."
I blink. "That would be a pretty long list." I would logically be on that list too. And Jin, if word of his true form got out.
Yunho gives me a tight smile. "It's a small one."
"You do realise the Aamon has to stay neutral in all strifes," I point out. "I'm not a hired assassin to go around killing people. And agreeing to help you would allow leeway for other Courts to ask for favours too."
Yunho nods, turning to Yoochun as he passes him a file.
"I think this would be of your interest." He hands me the file.
I take it, opening the paper cover to see a face staring back at me. I blink, before looking up to Yoochun.
"This is your brother, Yoohwan."
The Sovereign nods. He looks remarkably calm for someone who is about to kill his brother. But then again, he had always been good at masking himself.
"You're just like Cain."
"Pardon?" Yoochun says, leaning forward slightly. He wouldn't have misheard me. That would be impossible.
"Cain was put to eternal punishment for killing his brother."
"I assure you, Taehyung," Yunho starts, "this is no fairy tale that --"
"How are you so open to the idea of killing your own family?" I ignore the Vampire King as I direct my question at Yoochun. There had to be a part of him that was against this. This was his own brother!
"I'm not," Yoochun answers. "This is not a murder deal. This is a declaration that says one day - should the day come and I pray it won't - if my brother goes awry, loses control or turns on us, goes about destroying peace and stability as we know it, then the Aamon will help us in destroying him."
"People who are dead stay dead. There's no need for me to destroy a soul."
"Listen to me, Taehyung," the Sovereign starts. "My brother is the only person in current existence to have full knowledge and power of black magic. He has defeated armies singlehandedly and has the power to control the dead. Nearly a decade ago, the heir to the Vampire throne died and my brother brought him back. He has defeated Chronos, made deals with the Devil that killed him and was brought back to life by a Greek goddess. I don't want to kill him but if the time comes when I have to choose between the safety of my people and my brother, I *will* choose my people."
"How do you think your brother would feel if he knows about this?"
"He already does."
"You're insane!"
"I do what I have to!" Yoochun roars.
I flinch, staring at the Sovereign. In all the years I've known him, Yoochun has never, not once, raised his voice in front of me. He has never lost his smile, never a harsh word left his lips.
"My brother is the only family I have," Yoochun says, voice barely above a whisper. "I will protect him at any costs. But he is an extremely powerful individual capable of horrific things. I know him. I know he would never hurt anyone. But I need the extra reassurance that if it happens - and I know it won't, because I know my brother - but if it happens, I need to make sure he dies and never comes back to harm my people."
I stare. Yoochun hides it well but I know that mask of hidden pain when I see it. I've seen it on others many, many times.
I focus back on the file, turning to the next page. 
There was an in-depth biodata of Richard Park Yoohwan. Born in the midst of World War 2. Severe PTSD. List of schools. List of achievements.
I turn to the next page. List of powers. 
Necromancy. Black magic. Telepathy.
Acts done during the Anthrax War.
I take the time to read this part in further details. Yoohwan was powerful - even by my standards. Heck, I bet even Jin would say he was pretty strong. 
All this power, condensed into one individual. Frightening.
Just like me.
I turn to the final page.
'This is a declaration from the Vampire King, Jung Yunho and the Sovereign, Michael Park Yoochun on the contract that will be stated in the terms below.
The contract requests that all affecting parties adhere strictly to its contents.'
I continue reading until I reach the three small little lines at the bottom. Two line have already been signed under Jung Yunho and Michael Park Yoochun. The third line states my name at the bottom as well as my status. Fifth Aamon.
"Taehyung, we assure you that this contract will be in complete secrecy," Yunho starts. "My kind will be greatly indebted to you. Indeed you will be able to call on greater favours from us."
I am quiet. Ruling over communities, fighting enemies and surviving wars was one thing.
But to sign a contract promising to kill an individual was another.
"I shouldn't meddle in the affairs of the Afterlife."
"We understand your concerns, Taehyung," Yoochun says. "This isn't easy on our part as well."
I hide a sigh. I was probably going to regret this. "Alright."
I see both vampires refocus - almost as if they hadn't been expecting me to say yes.
"But on one condition." I look up to both of them. "I get to decide the situation that warrants the destruction of his soul."
Yoochun and Yunho glance at each other for two long seconds, before they turn back to me.
"Of course," Yunho nods. "It will be at your discretion."
I take the pen attached to the file, taking the cap off.
"I just sign here?"
"Yes."
I start to sign, resting the pen lightly against the paper. I had to forego my original Hanja signature because it required lifting my fingers off the paper countless times - something supposedly frowned upon. So I'd had to remake it in Roman cursive.
T - A - E - H
I pause, the pen still resting lightly against the paper. Something wasn't right. Something was gnawing at my chest and making me apprehensive.
"Taehyung?" Yoochun asks. "Is everything alright?"
I straighten against my seat, dropping the pen as it rolls lightly against the paper. I stare at the fingers of my writing hand.
Blood was seeping out from beneath the nails and running down my hand.
I don't understand. Had the pen been enchanted? Was this a trap by the Vampire King and the Sovereign?
Something catches my eye and I turn my attention to the file I'd just been reading moments ago, to the piece of paper I'd been signing.
The edges of the documents are falling off, being eaten by tiny embers that spread inwards, devouring the papers. It was being burned without flames. I stare, transfixed as the papers crumple into themselves from the heat. Smoke slowly exudes from the burning pile.
I look up to both Yunho and Yoochun staring in quiet alarm at me. Neither move.
"What's going on," I murmur.
I clutch my hand to my chest, realising that I was still bleeding.
Fresh blood in a secluded room with two powerful vampires.
Great.
The colour of their eyes immediately changes, going from black to bright red in a span of maybe half a second.
I quickly realise what's happening. They would think I'm playing with them. I think they're doing the exact same to me.
*Jin…*
There is the sound of a violent scuffle from outside the twin doors before Jin literally bursts in. Both vampires and I quickly stand, and I throw a wild arc of fire at them just as Yoochun slams his hands down against the table. It tilts the table towards him at such a speed that the thing literally flies - and catches my fire.
Jin lands a very dramatic, very spectacular flying kick into the table that cracks it in half and throws Yoochun backwards. Yunho moves fast enough to grab him by his throat and hurls him straight into me. The Vampire King charges towards us just as Jin and I hit the ground.
"What happened?" Jin practically yells in my ear as he scrambles up, throwing a spell that freezes Yunho's legs and makes him slam face first into the ground.
"Diplomatic relations are NOT MY FORT."
The broken table finally moves, being thrown in our direction and Jin bodily covers me as the massive thing lands on us. He throws it off, just in time for us to see Yoochun charge for us, murder in his eyes.
"Oh *shhit*," I swear. Stopping a charging vampire was going to be a *scene*. I slam my hands against the ground before I metaphysically pull upwards, and call forth a full wall of fire between Yoochun and Jin.
"Taehyung, NO!" Jin whirls around, grabbing me and crashing our lips together. He practically rips the power from me in the span of a second, before he throws me back and turns to the wall of fire. He makes a dramatic swiping motion, immediately killing my fire just as Yoochun flies through, crashing into him.
They tumble in a mess of growls and limbs. 
I stare, turning over to lie on my front. The shock and brutality of that power transfer literally has me weak and I am panting, wet with cold sweat. I push myself up, steadying myself as the vertigo hits me.
*What the Hell, Jin*
*Vampires are allergic to fire, you idiot. With fire that potent, you would've killed the Sovereign on the spot.*
Oh.
Jin manages to land a blow on Yoochun that sends the Sovereign flying. I watch as he sails, landing a distance behind Yunho. I turn to Yunho. He was fighting off the binding spell and would be mobile pretty soon. He suddenly catches my eye, and we stare at each other.
The look in his eyes is a hint enough.
A burst of power hits me, and I belatedly remember that the Vampire King has freaking telepathic powers. The power literally drags me through the rows of chairs around the oval table. I curl into myself, using my arms to protect my head as the chair legs hit me at speeds that would've broken normal human bones.
I finally slam into the adjacent wall at the other end of the room. I realise I'm bleeding from a few cuts on my scalp and hands.
Man, I was getting *really* sick and tired of politics.
"Alright," I murmur under my breath as I pull myself up to stand. This was where I drew the line. I stand, raising a clenched fist up high as I direct a fraction of Holy Power into my fist and let the light shine through. It is bright enough to blind the entire room white. "ENOUGH!"
I see all three freeze, as well as a few guards that had just moved in to back one of us up. It seemed I'd moved in the nick of time too.
Jin has the Sovereign by his throat, lifting him off the ground as he's about to stab him with his dagger. Yunho is just about ready to charge at Jin, his hands glowing purple from some sort of power that would surely hurt like a biitch.
All three pause to stare at me.
"Time to be civil," I pant.
Jin lets go, and Yoochun falls to the ground as Yunho straightens, his hands stopping their glow.
I turn to Jin, nodding at him. He gets the signal and sheaths his dagger - the entire weapon disappearing into his skin.
"I," I pause - needing to take in a shaky breath. "Didn't burn your contract."
"What happened?" Jin asks, staring as I steady myself.
I feel something trickling down the back of my neck and I rest a hand against the nape. Pulling my hand back, I see my entire palm painted red with blood.
I look up to see Yunho and Yoochun staring, faces tense. I wonder if the Aamon's blood was a temptation.
"I think I need to patch myself up first."

"Heaven is denying you permission."
Yunho, Yoochun and I stare at Jin as Yoochun picks shards of broken wood out of my hair and scalp. I run Jin through on the events of what happened, sans what the meeting had *actually* been about.
"What?" I murmur, before I wince in pain at a particularly sore spot. Yoochun whispers his apology, but gets on with it uninterrupted.
"Why?" I continue. "I didn't do anything."
At that, Jin raises an eyebrow. "Are you positive?"
"Yes!" I exclaim. "I'm just doing my job as Aamon!"
"It is uncommon for Heaven to go against a decision of the Aamon," Jin starts. "But it *has* happened before." He turns to Yunho. "What was the meeting about?"
"I believe the confidentiality of the meeting -"
"Your Excellency," Jin starts. "With all due respect. The last time Heaven had disagreed on the decision of an Aamon was two thousand years ago. If it had made its voice known, it would have been serious."
There is a long and tense silence as Yunho and Jin stare at each other.
"We requested the Aamon to destroy a soul," Yoochun confesses.
At that, Jin turns to me, wholly unamused.
"And you said yes?"
I don't say a word, but it is enough.
"Taehyung, the Aamon must remain neutral!"
"I am!" I shoot back defensively.
"Which part of neutrality includes agreeing to destroy a specific soul from orders of a specific Court?" Jin is growling now as he stalks closer, and I feel Yoochun's fingers curl against my hair.
Jin is interrupted by Yunho that suddenly steps in his way.
"The actions of our Courts are of no concern to you," I hear him say. "It would be best if you don't meddle in our affairs, bodyguard."
The silence that follows as both stare each other down is wholly unnerving. I wonder who would back down first.
"Two possibilities." I know Jin is talking to me, but his eyes don't shift away from the Vampire King. "One, your decision breached the neutrality clause. It is wrong and it will continue to be wrong for all eternity. Two." Jin pauses, turning to me this time. "Heaven is against your favour."
"Why?"
"Cain." It is explanation enough.
"Shiit," I breathe. "Are you saying they'll block everything until I agree?"
"I don't know," Jin breathes, crossing his arms over his chest as he turns to Yunho. "They might try."
"That's so petty."
"Is there something I'm not getting?" Yunho murmurs, narrowing his eyes at Jin.
"Nothing," Jin answers, voice level with his. "Just affairs of the Aamon's Court."
Alright. I had to break this up before another fight ensued.
"Okay." I stand, slipping off the edge of the table as Yoochun's hands fall away. All three turn to me. "Looks like our agreement won't head anywhere with the current state of things."
I turn to Jin. "Can you arrange a meeting with Cain so I can settle this?" He nods.
I turn to Yunho. "In the meantime, our agreement is forced to be on hold. If I'm breaking the neutrality cause, then I'm sorry. I can't hold on to my end of the contract. However, if I'm not, then I'll sign another contract to seal the deal."
Yunho says nothing as I step forward. Jin gets the signal and he comes towards me.
"Let's go," I say, as he stands before me. He nods, taking my hand. "Your Excellency, Your Highness, I apologize for the turn of events. I'll contact you soon."
Jin calls his power forward, a slow buildup, after the sudden fight. 
"Taehyung - Your Highness, wait." I turn to see Yunho take several steps towards me. Jin pauses, opening his eyes as he focuses on the Vampire King as well.
"You are already doing us a favour by agreeing to help us." He glances at Yoochun before he shifts his attention to me again. "Let us help you."
I blink and look up to Jin, who is still staring at Yunho. 
The Vampire King and Head Sovereign were willing to help us?
*A trap?* I ask.
*Both mask themselves pretty well. It will be your call.*
"The Aamon's affairs will not be of things the public is regularly exposed to," Jin voices out.
"I am aware."
I glance at Yunho. Granted, having the Vampire King by my side would be a great advantage. But I've seen powerful vampires being defeated easily by those from the Afterlife. Many vampires had been killed during my battle with Lucifer. And I don't know how vampires would react around Angels. Doesn't direct sunlight hurt vampires? What about Holy light?
"I won't stop you if you want to come along," I start, knowing my own voice drips with hesitancy. "But I'm going to piss off a lot of vampires if you get hurt."
Yunho answers with an easy smile. "I have survived many wars, Taehyung." He turns to Yoochun. "What say you?"
I glance at Yoochun, just in time to catch him shrug. "I guess I'll come along."
*What do you think?* I ask Jin, my eyes still on the Sovereign.
Jin doesn't even turn to me. *I honestly don't see what help they can provide. But numbers do well to convince Cain.*
I let myself smile. "The Aamon is indebted."
"Sign the contract, and the debt is repaid," Yunho answers, smile as easy as mine.
I see from the corner of my eyes Jin's lips press into a thin line. He was not happy.

We had to drive back to the hotel, since the Vampire King and the Sovereign had their own set of guards to accompany them. In fact, calling them a small army would be more apt. For a person boasting a lot of power, Yunho sure had a lot of protection.
Their entourage trails us from behind.
Jin drives in silence as I pick at the dried blood from beneath my nails. Gross, but leaving them there was even grosser. I look up at Jin. I only see his eyes reflected from the rearview mirror from where I sit. Jin's eyes reveal nothing. 
"Are you mad at me?"
"No." Jin's answer is short, blunt and dismissive, as he turns the bend, following the lead car in front of us.
"I think you are."
"I'm not."
"I'm sorry," I say instinctively. I knew Jin disagreed with my decision to sign the agreement. He didn't know the specifics of it yet, but it still hurt to see him disappointed in my decisions.
He says nothing, and I push further.
"Do you want to know why I agreed to it?"
"It doesn't matter."
"It does," I say quietly. "To me."
And then Jin glances over his shoulder to look at me. Technically dangerous - since he was on the road - but his hearing was as reliable as his sight.
"Your decisions as Aamon are no concern of mine. If you decide as such, so mote it be."
Jin's eyes are as dead as the soul in him, and his expression makes my chest physically ache.
"They were trying to protect their people," I start, as Jin turns to the front again. "Jin, it's not just a random assassination. They're just trying to safeguard what peace and stability they have."
"I thought you of all people would preach about every life being precious."
"Of course, every life is precious," I shoot back. I feel the anger rising as I lean forward in my seat. It's frustrating that Jin refuses to even maintain eye contact through the reflection. "You think I don't regret the people I've killed?"
"Taehyung…"
"But this is the shiit we have to do as rulers some times!" Obviously Jin had hit a sore spot. "I have to choose for the greater good. You think these decisions don't eat me up inside? They do! So I don't need you being mad at every decision I make because I'm already mad enough at my self!"
"Taehyung," Jin interrupts, voice harsh yet soft. "I'm not mad. I may not agree with your decision but it is your rule and I shan't interfere."
"Then why are you so upset about it?"
"Because," he starts, finally meeting my gaze through the reflection, " it is one thing to kill a being. It is another to destroy a soul. Destroying a soul blackens your own. The only Creation that has destroyed a soul is Lucifer himself. And he's the King of Hell."
I feel myself calming down at his words as I lean into the seat. "So Heaven might be doing me a favour?"
He smirks. "Heaven is a selfish entity. They do not do favours just for the sake of it. There is - and there will be - an agenda behind this."
"Isn't Hell the same?" I point out.
"Exactly why you shouldn't trust either."
I am quiet for a moment.
"Will you stop me if I try to destroy a soul?"
"The Aamon has no power to destroy a soul. But yes. I will."
"What happens if I succeed?"
"A blackened soul loses all traces of its humanity. An Aamon with a black soul is no longer a fit Aamon."
"I'll be kicked off the throne?"
"You will be killed. And your soul destroyed."
I lapse into silence, which Jin does not break.
"Jin."
"Yes, Taehyung." In just the shortest moment, Jin sounds his age. He sounds like he has seen too muck of the world - and is tired of it.
"Will you kill me if I go astray?"
Very slightly, Jin's hold on the clutch tightens.
"In what way would you go astray?"
"If I lose control of my powers. If I turn evil and start killing people. If my rule is selfish and detrimental to mortals and souls. If I become a psychotic dictator."
"Killing you would require approval from your Parliament."
"Since when have we ever listened to them?" I point out.
Jin looks up, studying me through the rearview mirror.
"Are you so confident you will become those things?"
"Is anyone?" I answer instead.
He glances away, his eyes focused on the road. He says nothing and for a moment, I think the conversation is done. But Jin continues on.
"You won't." His answer is final - even though I do feel like arguing.
We reach the hotel not long after and as usual, my bodyguards surround my car, ready to bundle me in their cocoon to protect me from any hint of the open. It is ridiculous and slightly embarrassing, but I've learnt to roll with it.
Jin kills the engine, suddenly sighing aloud as he leans his forehead against the steering wheel. It makes me hesitate, a hand against the car door I am about to unlock so the valet can open the door for me.
"Go," Jin commands. "I'll meet you upstairs."
I don't like being bossed around, but I know when it's time to heed without question. Like now. I leave the car, being immediately surrounded by my guards as I am ushered in.
I manage to glance back at the car, Jin still sitting hunched over in the driver's seat.

I pace.
What was wrong with him? Jin never showed signs of external weakness. He hid what he could, until he fainted either from exhaustion or blood loss.
He'd leaned forward. He'd shown signs of weakness. He hadn't even attempted to hide it. Something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong.
"Are you okay?" Jungkook asks me, looking up from his homework. 
"Yeah."
The boy had just woken up from his nap, pleased as always to see me home. Unfortunately, the exam period was coming soon, so he still had a few stacks of homework to catch up to. I didn't want to worry him about my own affairs.
I don't think he'd understand them anyways.
The Vampire King and his entourage would be arriving soon. They would have to go through intensive security checks, as well be nullified of the spells in and around my suite in order to not be physically thrown out of its bubble of protection.
I had to worry about where they'd be staying too. The Vampire King and Head Sovereign were practically royalty - they and their entourage would need rooms, not to mention sustenance. That would already need a lot of planning and break coordination from my own guards.
Why had I even agreed in the first place?
"Where's Jin?"
"I don't know."
"What's six times eight?"
"Forty eight," I answer distractedly, as Jungkook jots down the answer.
"Forty with a U?"
"F-O-R-T-Y."
Jungkook continues writing. I didn't expect him to worry. The boy was eight. There should be other things on his mind than worrying about someone leaning against a steering wheel.
There is the sound of the front door opening and I whirl around to see Jin striding in, looking like he has a purpose.
"Jin?"
And he walks right past us, heading straight into my bedroom and closing the door behind him. What the hell?
"Jungkook, stay here and finish your homework. I'll be back to check on your work."
"Okay."
I head into my bedroom, not surprised to find it unlocked since all the locks in the suite were disabled.
"Jin?"
It's easy to find him since there's nothing much in my bedroom to begin with. I shut the door behind me, seeing Jin flop down on my bed, an arm slung over his head.
I head for him, wondering and worrying why he was so weak all of a sudden. What was wrong? What happened?
"Have you accepted the invitation from Cain?"
"I'm still thinking about it." I reach the bed, climbing on top to sit beside him as I face him. "Are you okay?"
"I'm just tired."
"But you're never tired. Never this easily." I touch his arm, alarmed when the heat that radiates off of him feels similar to a heat pack. "Jin."
He takes his arm off his face, finally opening his eyes to face me. My worry for him escalates as I register what I'm seeing. Jin's irises are fire engine red.
The man wasn't just hungry, he was on the brink of collapse.
"What's wrong with you?" I whisper, the shock of seeing him like this making me freeze. I'm not sure why I do it, but I push the bangs off his face, feeling for a fever. Which made no sense of course.
Demons do not have fevers.
Still, he is hot to the touch, burning like a human with a really bad flu.
"The Angels have been tailing us since Cain came," he answers, closing his eyes again. "Their presence… tires me."
"Why?" Jin had been in the presence of many Angels before - especially in battle. He'd been fine then. What were the Angels Cain brought along doing to him?
Jin smiles as I take my hand away, and he opens his eyes to look up at me. "They're trying to make their presence known. But the hotel won't be able to sustain the power of their presence."
"So you've been mentally holding them back for the past four hours?" I am incredulous. The amount of energy he'd have needed to exert would have been *massive*.
"They keep trying to breach through my wards," he chuckles. "I'm lucky Cain sent down weaker Angels. I wouldn't stand a chance against Hael."
"Why didn't you tell me?" I was starting to get angry. Why did he think he'd have to fight these Angels off alone? I could've helped! My hand rests against his chest as he looks up at me.
"And if I had," he answers. "What would you have done to help? You aren't able to see them and if they make their presence known, this whole hotel would explode, along with everyone in it."
I leer forward, annoyed that he'd assumed I'd be no help. I mean - technically I wouldn't have been much help anyway, but it still would have been better to know rather than let him struggle alone.
"I could've given you an energy transfer." I was full on leaning against his chest, using my arm to support myself as I stare.
He scoffs, looking away from me. "You would have been too weak to face the Sovereign. The state I'm in right now would just knock you out."
"Do it then."
He turns to me, expression carefully blank. "Careful of what you say."
"Do it," I repeat. "This is the only way I'll be able to help, isn't it? It's the end of the day, I'm here now and it's bedtime soon. Feed."
Jin stares at me for a few seconds, expression very clearly unhappy. "Taehyung, it's not about -"
And I lean forward, resting my lips on his.
Unexpectedly though, Jin pushes me off, strong hands against my shoulders as he looks at me in disgust.
"What's wrong with you?" he exclaims.
"*Me*? What's wrong with you! You need to feed and you know it!"
"Taehyung, you are not a slab of *meat* that feeds me whenever I'm hungry." He is full on growling as he stares up at me, obviously very pissed that I'd offered him help.
"That is *derogatory*," I retort. "What is wrong with you? Are you on your period or something? Why you so emotional?"
"I am not being emotional, I am stating facts!"
"Facts?" I retort, straightening to sit up as he lets me go. "You want to talk about facts?" I raise my index finger. "Angels outside the window." I raise another finger. "You being weak from fighting them off." I raise another. "Me, being the *only* person able to replenish you." The fourth finger is raised. "Me offering to help." Then my entire hand is open, palm up facing him, ever at the ready to smack some sense into him if I needed to. "You being so angry about me *choosing* to help you. Doesn't that pretty much prove what an *emotional* little -"
Jin suddenly sits up, grabbing me as he throws me violently against the bed. He is on top of me before I can even catch my breath, growling much like the demon prince that he is as he restrains my wrists above my head with one hand.
I stare back up at the pair of orbs that are now practically *glowing* red from anger and hunger.
"Jin," I say, keeping my voice low. "Breathe."
Though the moments are far and in-between, Jin was, in all essence of the word, the Son of the King of Hell. He was a demon after all, born to be all that Sin is meant to be. Once he lost control of himself, he would let go of all he has been suppressing, all that he'd been fighting to keep at bay.
Violence, anger, rage.
He shuts his eyes, keeping himself eerily still as he fights to control himself. His hold on my wrists slowly loosens, until I am able to slip them through his hand.
I reach up to him, placing both my hands against his cheeks. Jin was on solid fire right now. The heat he radiated would've been enough to cause burns.
"I'm here," I whisper to him, tracing my fingers against his skin. "I'm sorry. I'm right here. I'm safe. I'm okay. I'm sorry."
He opens his eyes, and the whites are completely gone. It is just an angry, angry red.
"Jin. Feed. Now."
He closes the distance between us, resting his lips against mine. The energy transfer is almost immediate. Rushed and hungry, I start feeling light-headed in a matter of seconds. 
Jin starts moving with the kiss, the extent of his hunger translating in how he tugged and pulled at my power, how his kiss turns rough, how his hand that had rested against the bed now rests against my hip, before it goes inside my shirt and starts exploring my skin as if he's been devoid of touch for far too long.
He finally parts the kiss and I gasp for breath, hit with full-on vertigo that doesn't even let me look up at the ceiling straight. He doesn't stop, leaving trails of kisses down my jaw, each kiss as mindnumbingly electrifying as a drug. Was he really going to knock me out from the feeding?
I feel his hand slips out of my shirt and for a moment, I almost lose myself. I wanted his skin on mine. The loss feels like a part of my soul was ripped out and I crave for his touch again.
"Jin." Hell, that sounded like a full-on whine. 
I needed him. I *wanted* him.
His hand glides along my shirt, going up to the collar before he s the top two buttons, barely exposing my collarbone. And he'd done all that without even lifting his face off my neck. Impressive.
His kisses travel lower, each kiss a feed that was really going to give me a migraine once this was all done. 
I squirm as his lips brush oh-so-carefully against my collarbone, from the sensitive touch. As he usually does, Jin uses his thigh between my legs to restrain me. Damn, I was becoming way too predictable.
His hand travels again, ing two other buttons as his kisses go lower and lower.
And this was starting to hurt.
The pleasure was slowly giving way to pain as my power decreases further and further. Crap.
The kisses were no longer addictive, no longer giving me an aphrodisiac-like high. They *hurt* and I was controlling my own power to not instinctively attack.
Hands on his shoulders, I rake my nails against his skin.
"Jin."
Jin pauses, before he pulls himself up, looming above me, eyes still as red as a blooming rose. What the Hell? All that power wasn't enough?
He rests his lips against mine to feed again and this time, the kiss is *searing*. Pain slams into me, frazzling my mind and shocking my system. I lose control, and a burst of power hits Jin, throwing him across the room. He slams into the adjacent wall and falls to the floor.
Losing skin contact with him this time is literally *sweet relief* as I curl into myself in shock and exhaustion. I am shaking from the trauma of the pain and panting from pure fatigue. That was literally the most powerful feed Jin has ever done.
"You okay?" I can't believe it, but my brain is so fried that I *hear* three Jins talking at the same time.
"Yeah," I pant, closing my eyes. "I just… need a moment."
I feel his presence despite my fried senses and know he is near. A hand against the back of my head just tells me how near.
"I'm sorry."
Strange. His voice was drifting further and further away.
Where was he going?

I sit bolt upright in bed, panicked, confused and wary. The light outside the window signalled morning. Where was I? How long was I out? What did I miss?
"Taehyung." I look up to see Jungkook running towards me, expression a mixture of worry and relief. He flops down against the bed, immediately wrapping me in a tight hug. "You're awake."
"How long was I out?" I ask, returning the hug. 
"Just over twelve hours. The other guards think you just fell asleep." He pulls away from me, looking me up and down. "You okay? Jin told me what happened."
"He did?" I distractedly murmur, running a hand through my hair.
Jungkook nods. "An old man named Cain is outside. Jin is talking to him. The Vampire King and Head Sovereign are with them too."
Damn it. "What are they talking about?"
"I don't know," he confesses. "They have a muting spell around them."
I nod. "I'll get dressed. Tell Cain I'll meet him in a bit."
"You sure? The feeding -"
"Jungkook, I'm okay," I smile. "Really. I've got duties to attend to."
The answer obviously does little to appease him, but he nods anyway. "I'll tell him."
Jungkook leaves, closing the door behind him and I'm left alone in the bedroom. The silence is somewhat comforting, though I know comfort was something that never lasted too long with me.
I make a move to head to the bathroom, shifting my weight to the palm of my hands to get off the bed when the pain that suddenly shoots up my arms jars me, and I immediately fall over again.
What the *Hell*.
I glance down at my arms, rolling up the sleeves.
Shiiiiit.
The length of my arms is covered by black, blue and purple bruises. 
From the feeding? No way.
I force myself to stand, being careful of my arms as I head to the bathroom, gingerly pulling my shirt over my head and stand in front of the mirror.
There are purple bruises on my wrists and shoulders, very clearly shaped like hands, probably due to Jin handling me too roughly. My lips are red and raw - though thankfully not bruised, or I would have ended up looking like a clown gone wrong. My neck and chest have what look a *lot* like bitemarks. Hickeys? But Jin never even used his teeth. 
He had never been this violent when it came to feeding. What changed that? Was it because of the exhaustion from fighting the angels off?
Dang it. I didn't even have time to sit and think since Cain was already outside. I needed to get ready.
I take a quick shower, ignoring the ache from the bruises as I soap myself down. I keep wondering what it is that made me bruise so badly. I don't bruise easily and Jin had been gentle - technically speaking. 
I'll probably just ask him later.
I leave the shower and grab a turtle neck sweater. No point parading my bruises.

"Your Highness."
Cain is the first to notice when I leave the room since he sits facing the door. He smiles at me, not moving from his seat as the rest of the people in the room - Yunho, Yoochun, my bodyguards, Jungkook and Jin, turn to face me. 
It's past noon and all the binds and curtains of the suite are pulled - probably in respect of the Vampire King and Head Sovereign.
I nod in his direction as I come to the sofa, taking the seat across from him. Jungkook shifts to sit beside me, several of the guards reposition themselves closer to us. Yunho and Yoochun sit on the sofa adjacent to mine. Jin doesn't move.
He sits the closest to Cain and it looked like they'd been deep in conversation.
"What brings you here again?" I ask.
"Your bodyguard here asked to see me. He says you have a matter you wish to speak to me about," Cain answers. "Also the RSVP ends today. Thought I'd drop by to hear an answer."
"You could've just dropped a call."
"Technology doesn't work where I come from," he muses, tilting his head slightly to the side. "Very secluded place."
"If you want an answer from me now, you'll have to get rid of the Angels you have surrounding the hotel."
That makes him falter, as the guards immediately glance warily outside the window. Yunho and Yoochun don't move, but I see the hidden confusion in their eyes. Those not exposed to the Afterlife may find difficulty in taking it seriously. Many of my guards, however had experienced firsthand an Angel attacking the hotel suite, and they probably wouldn't want to experience it again.
Cain quickly relaxes though, as he smiles once more. "I assure you, Your Highness, the Angels mean no harm."
I really wasn't in the mood for games. "Get rid of them. Now."
"Alright," Cain muses, hands up as if to appease me. "Alright."
He glances slightly to his left, staring out the window as he nods. I feel no difference in the air, feel no shift of power or lack of it, but Jin closes his eyes, the quiet relief on his face loud to me.
"Happy?"
I fake a smile, tilting my head to the side. "Clearly."
I stand, calling my power to me as I produce a whip of fire and throw it forward. The blue flames wrap around Cain's neck and I pull, slamming him against the coffee table between us. The table breaks in half from the force of the throw. There are panicked yells as my guards dive out the way. I hear Jungkook yell my name. Yunho and Yoochun stand, backing two steps away as they stare in surprise. It's hard to keep a straight face in battle, isn't it? 
Even Jin stands, his expression that of angry confusion.
I stand over Cain, who is looking up at me indignantly but looks otherwise unharmed despite having fires from Hell wrapped around his neck.
"I have a message for Heaven." I pull the whip towards me, tightening its hold on Cain's neck. I know it won't hurt at this point, but it still brought me satisfaction nonetheless. "The Aamon is always open to diplomatic relations. So you *don't* need to threaten the safety of me and everyone in this hotel by having Angels attempting to attack." I narrow my eyes at him. "You knew, didn't you? You knew the hotel wouldn't be able to withstand the presence of the Angels. You knew a lot of people wouldn't survive. So WHY?"
I hadn't meant to yell - I really didn't, but I was beginning to tire of being stepped on and thrown around. Adding to the fact that Heaven had never been much help to me to begin with!!
"We needed leverage," Cain answers calmly, not even choking for breath.
"What?"
"They needed a way to make sure you'd come," Jin explains. I turn to him, his carefully blank expression being all the explanation I needed.
I whip my head back to Cain, my anger easily escalating into rage. "You were willing to kill everyone in this damn hotel just to make sure I came to the canonization?!"
I metaphysically explode, a sonic boom of power leaving my body that drives Cain's body deeper into the floor. I'm pretty sure I momentarily black out because before I realize what's happening, I've already reached for Cain, grabbing onto his lapel as I rip him off the ground and throw him across the room, my bodyguards flying out the way.
Well *that* was a really unexpected burst of strength.
Cain lands against the ground like a sack of potatoes.
"GO TO HELL!" I am literally blind and deaf from rage. I wanted so badly to beat him to pulp and then set his remains on fire. Who was he to come here? Who was he to demand my attendance? Who was he to put everyone in the hotel in danger?
Who was he?
I feel my power respond to the rage as I call forth more fire, feeling the flames collecting in my hands as I ready to throw them at Cain. The elder man looks at me like he'd welcome them.
Let's see if they do.
"Taehyung, enough!" Jungkook is behind me. He grabs me by my shoulder and forces me to face him. "You don't need to hurt him. Stop it!"
Jungkook looks….frightened.
In fact, he looks terrified - of me.
He'd never been scared of me. Of all the times I'd lost control, of all times I'd been in the line of fire, of all the times I'd burst in anger, Jungkook had never even flinched.
Now he looks at me like he's afraid I'll kill him. Like I wouldn't hesitate.
I come to realise that my anger is morphing into heat, radiating off me and seeping into the floor, burning the carpet, the walls and the ceiling.
I close my eyes, forcing myself to calm down, extinguishing the fire I had in my hands as Jungkook lets me go. Cain gets off the floor, staring at me, completely unabashed by my rage and attack on him.
I hadn't realised it then, but I am panting now, exhausted either from trying to control my rage or attacking the First Son.
"Tell Heaven thanks," I murmur, not even looking at him. "But I'll skip this canonization. Invite me again for the next. You may leave. Now."
"Your Highness, Heaven shall always respect your wishes. However -"
"Good. Then get out."
"Your Highness -"
I turn to him. He of all people should know what one can do when pushed far enough. "Get. Out."
We stare at each other, before he turns to Jin, almost asking for help. Jin says nothing, however, he starts walking.
And comes to stand beside me.
"The Aamon has made his choice," I hear him say. "He thanks you for your presence."
Cain laughs lightly, looking away as he lightly dusts himself down. "You know Heaven won't take no for an answer."
"Now they will," Jin answers.
Cain looks up at him, completely ignoring me. "You think you can supercede God's Command?"
"God's Command?" Jin repeats, his tone making it clear how laughable he thinks the concept is. "God has not interfered in our affairs for many millenia. I doubt He'll start. Show yourself out."

My hands are still shaking. 
My fingers are blue. Not blue as in there was no blood circulation, but blue from bruises. Who the hell has bruises like these on their fingers? 
I flex them. They hurt, unsurprisingly. I don't understand. Had lifting Cain caused them? Why was I suddenly bruising so easily?
I stand in the middle of the living room, now charred and scorched black. Everything was still intact thanks to Jin's powerful protection spells and wards, but the carpet and wallpaper were peeling off. 
It amazes me how, no matter the number of times this suite got destroyed, it still managed to patch itself back together perfectly.
I hear footsteps coming from behind me, purposefully loud and careless. Someone comes to my side, wrapping a strong arm around my back before he kneels and swoops his other arm around the back of my knees. I am lifted from the ground and held against a hard, warm chest. I lean my head against the shoulder. I know exactly who it is without even turning to face him.
Yoochun carries me to the kitchen, before he places me on the marble counter top. He takes a good step back just to stare at me.
I say nothing, not even looking him in the eye.
Years ago, before I made the decision to run away from the very Court that raised me, Yoochun was a familiar face I saw growing up. Because of an alliance the Hunter's Court and his had made, vampires became a common sight in the Court. Yoochun would stay weeks at a time to ensure everything ran smoothly. He very quickly became the father figure Jungkook and I never had, and never realised we needed. The vampires' natural affinity for children meant that growing up, Jungkook and I were natural favourites of his. There wasn't a day where I didn't look forward to his coming.
But that all changed when the Alliance turned sour two years before I left. The Sovereign stopped coming, and that was the last I saw of him. Still, Yoochun constantly made his presence known by checking up on Jungkook and I and sending random gifts from time to time. If there was anyone who would know me, who could read me like a book, who could get under my skin, it was him.
Yoochun finally turns away from me and heads to the fridge. I doubt he'll find anything. Everyone in this household who needed to eat ordered take out, or would go out and hunt. The fridge was used to keep ice cubes solid in the event that I hit myself too hard on something.
Yoochun comes back with a full bottle of vodka, with which he somehow manages to find a shot glass, and pours a drink before he hands it to me.
I stare at the glass. "Where did you get the vodka?"
He shrugs. "Found it in a bodyguard's quarters."
"That's stealing," I point out, but still take the glass. I would need the burn.
Yoochun only shrugs. "Drink. It will help calm you down."
Oh. So this was what it was going to be about. I throw the shot back and hand the empty glass back to him. He gives me two more shots before he puts the bottle and glass away.
"Better?"
"Yeah."
"That was some pretty powerful stuff back there."
"Yeah."
Silence descends between us, until I finally look up to Yoochun leaning against the opposite counter, arms crossed as he studies me. He is waiting.
"I'm sorry," I start. "For… scaring you and the Vampire King like that."
He smiles lightly. "I wouldn't call it being scared. Maybe very, very surprised and confused."
I answer with an empty laugh. "You've never seen an Aamon in battle?"
"No. The vampires never had much reason to establish an alliance with prior Aamons, so I was never exposed."
"Until now."
"Until now," he confirms. He tilts his head slightly. "You are very powerful, Taehyung. Maybe the most powerful individual I've ever seen."
"I know." It isn't the first time I've heard the statement, and it surely won't be the last.
"That displeases you," he observes, pushing himself off the counter as he heads to the sink. "Why?" I hear water run as the tap is and Yoochun reaches overhead to grab a large bowl in the cabinet. "When you were younger, I distinctly remember you telling me you wanted to be strong enough to defeat anyone who tried to hurt you or Jungkook. Isn't that exactly what you did today?"
I am quiet as Yoochun heads back to me with the bowl full of water, a silk handkerchief floating daintily in it. He places it to my right.
"From what I understand," he continues, as he dips both hands into the bowl. "The elder man Cain had Angels surrounding this hotel, endangering everyone in it. You managed to get him to dispose of them and also assert your status to him so he won't attempt it again."
He finally lifts the handkerchief out and wrings it, before he folds it into four.
"You saved the lives of everyone here, mine included." He rests the wet handkerchief against the nape of my neck, before he removes it. The white silk is stained red.
Huh. I hadn't noticed I was bleeding.
"It doesn't excuse my behavior," I say as Yoochun folds the silk again and presses it on the back of my neck. I wince this time as he hits a sore spot. "Ow."
"Sorry," he murmurs, immediately softening the pressure. He takes the handkerchief away and dips it into the bowl to clean it as I stare. "You're hurt very badly, Taehyung. You're bleeding internally too. You're dying."
I try to not let that final sentence bother me too much.
"You aren't tempted by the blood?"
He glances at me, smiling slightly. "Are you tempted by every morsel of food you see, young child?"
"No."
"Natural vampires - those that aren't made or bitten - see blood as the same. We don't go ravenous at every drop. If we're hungry, we feed. If there's no blood around, we abstain for a couple of days. We'll survive."
"How come you never told me any of this when I was a kid? I was always sure you'd bite me one day."
He chuckles lightly, placing the silk cloth back on my neck. He leans forward to peer at the wound, his chest brushing lightly against my shoulder. "You weren't in a position to need to know."
"And now I am?"
"You're the Aamon," he hums.
I lean to the side, away from him, to look him in the eye, and I feel his hand fall away. He blinks innocently as he stares back at me.
"Ah," he muses. "Did I say something wrong?"
I look away. "Nothing."
"You don't like being Aamon," he easily points out.
"I don't think anyone would, if they knew the responsibility it comes with."
"Everything comes with responsibility, young child."
"Not the extent of mine."
Yoochun straightens, still smiling lightly at me like an amused parent. "Do you want to hear a story?"
"You'd tell even if I said no."
He laughs this time, tucking a lock of stray hair behind my ear. "You've changed," he says.
"I'm responsible for all souls in existence. I've had to change."
"And yet," he muses, tilting his head as he looks at me endearingly. "You're still the same child I know."
"What's the story you want to tell me?"
"Do you know who I am, Taehyung?"
"Michael Park Yoochun, Head Sovereign," I answer easily. As a child growing up in a Hunter's Court, Yoochun's presence was always met with utmost respect and reverence. It was hard to not know his name and face.
"Do you know how I became Sovereign?"
I shake my head. Like all rulers, Yoochun kept his private life in layers of well-guarded secrets. You won't know what he won't tell.
"I killed my own father, the previous Sovereign."
I can't even school my shock as I look up at him. Yoochun's smile has disappeared completely this time, and his face is troubled, as if the memory of the event itself disturbed him - as it should. He doesn't look like he's joking.
"My father was the mastermind of a revolution. He believed that it was time for a full democracy in the vampire community. And he believed that the only way to achieve that was to instigate strife and kill off the hierarchy of rulers." Yoochun pauses as he closes his eyes, resting his hands on the counter, one hand to my right, another to my left. I reach out to him, instinctively placing a hand against his cheek. 
He opens his eyes at the contact as he smiles warmly, before he straightens and my hand falls away.
"He kidnapped a witch - the lone surviving witch to have survived the Holocaust - and harvested her powers to kill hundreds of thousands of vampires and hunters worldwide. He greviously wounded the previous Vampire King and Head Victor in battle before I took him by surprise and stabbed him."
He is quiet for a while. I don't really think to say anything - what could I even say?
"Do you know the proper way to kill a vampire of that status and power, young child?"
"…You separate the head from the neck and then burn the body to ashes."
"Clever." His smile lasts probably a half second before Yoochun's face goes blank, a far-off look in his eyes. "The way my father looked at me as I brought the sword down on his neck, the sound of his detached head hitting the ground, the realization that I'd lost the person who raised me, killed him and then took his place… These things make you question how long forever is - why immortality is even seen as a blessing."
"You did what you had to do," I say, attempting to comfort. "It was the right thing."
"I know," he quietly acknowledges. "But it has never felt that way." He finally turns to me, smiling slightly. "I never wanted to be Sovereign, truthfully. I knew I had to be, sooner or later. But I always thought that, since vampires lived so long, it would be later, much, much later, that I'd have to ascend. Instead, I was thrown straight into ruling, right after a literal genocide that left scores dead. Yunho and I ascended together, and amidst the chaos, we had to blindly rebuild whatever was left salvageable."
I stare at him, at him leaning lightly against the counter, his arms crossed against his chest, his wavy curls falling against his back, his posture simultaneously guarded yet carefree. I look him in the eyes. "Why are you telling me this?" I murmur.
"It's been eight years since I became Sovereign," Yoochun says, the slight smile still playing on his lips. "Our community is still rebuilding, still slowly getting over the shock and brutality of the attack. But we still move forward. We managed. You learn the ropes as you go along, even when you falter and stumble at times." He tilts his head again, this time in a pure show of amusement and innocence. "You doubt yourself too much. As someone who was once faltering and stumbling my way throughout my rule, I think you're doing alright."
I find myself smiling along. "Thanks. I needed that."
"I know," Yoochun answers, looking dramatically smug. "I thought it was cool too - how you showed Cain that you weren't to be messed with."
"Really? You don't think that was too much?"
"Sometimes you have to flex your power in order to make others take you seriously. And technically Cain was sort of asking for it - endangering everyone in the hotel. I'd say you were being fair."
My smile widens into a grin, before I look away, shaking my head. "The Aamon must always remain neutral. My burst of anger will piss off a lot of people in Heaven. Cain was only a messenger anyway. It wasn't right of me to attack him. It was out of my own character."
"If you mull on the past too much, you won't move forward, Aamon."
I allow myself the liberty of a chuckle this time as I slide off the countertop. "I'm heading off to bed. Will you stay?"
"I'll be around." He takes two steps forward, until we are standing perhaps two feet apart. He reaches out and rests a hand lightly against the top of my head before he leans forward and rests his forehead lightly against mine. I close my eyes at the warmth and familiarity of the contact. He used to do this to Jungkook and I when we were children as an act of comfort. It still worked. "Good night, young child." 
I open my eyes just as he straightens, separating the contact. "Good night." I turn away from him and head out the kitchen.
"Taehyung." I pause at the doorway, glancing over my shoulder at Yoochun. He looks slightly worried this time. "I wasn't joking. You really are dying. You have to find a way to fix yourself before your injuries overcome you."

I enter my room, shutting the door behind me.
I briefly wonder what the Sovereign meant when he said that. I was dying? But I felt fine. I was technically fine - other than my normal set of body aches and bruises. 
Maybe in a vampire's eyes, I was dying. I didn't have their ability to heal so quickly anyway.
My room is empty, as it usually is, save for the figure curled against my bed.
Jungkook lies on the mattress, ready for his scheduled naptime. He immediately jolts upright when he sees me enter. He stares right at me - eyes wide and hesitant and afraid.
He still hadn't forgotten my violent outburst.
"Jungkook -"
He gets up and runs out the room, shutting the door behind him.
My bedroom is empty now. I swallow the ache I feel rising up my throat. 
Good. I needed the silence and solitude. 
I sit down on the edge of my bed, running a hand through my hair. I was listless, anxious and angry - and I had no idea why. Something was wrong. Something *had* to be wrong because I don't know why I'm like this. Even I knew I was behaving out of character. There had to be something wrong with me.
Maybe I really was dying; that's why I was bruising so easily. Maybe my body couldn't withstand the Aamon's power and was just shutting down on itself. Maybe that's why I was so emotional. Maybe time really was catching up to me.
Shortest reign in history. My own words ring in my ears.
I wrap my arms around my waist, feeling myself keel over.
That wasn't me; that rage, that screaming, that violence. No matter what others said, no matter how much I excused myself, it wasn't who I was. It wasn't who I am and it isn't what I'll succumb to be.
Cain had done no wrong. He was only a messenger. Why had I attacked him then? Since when was I that type of person? Why was I parading my power around and threatening others with it? What was wrong with me?
I feel a presence appear in the room, and then footsteps as someone makes his way towards me.
"Cain has apologized for leaving the Angels around when he left." It's Jin. I hadn't even noticed he'd left the suite. "He doesn't wish to spite you."
I straighten, staring. He stops in his tracks.
"I know. It wasn't his fault."
"Are you okay?"
I tilt my head. "I don't know," I answer truthfully. "I don't feel okay."
"It's not your fault."
I laugh emptily. "You haven't even heard my argument."
"But it's gonna be the same argument." Jin crosses his arms over his chest, looking somehow simultaneously concerned and annoyed. "It's not your fault."
"Are you gonna lecture me about how this is someone else's fault?"
"If anyone should be blamed, it should be me."
"Stop taking the blame for me, Jin." I tuck a lock of my hair behind my ear. Jin notices the action and stares pointedly at my hand.
"What happened to your hand?" He looks alarmed, though his tone is still calm. I stop, stretching my hand out before me as I stare at my spindly fingers. The bruises were turning a shade of purple.
I shrug. "I just started bruising easily."
He comes to stand before me, taking my hand as he rubs a thumb gently over the bruises, before perhaps something hits him and he pushes up my entire sleeve to my elbow. His expression doesn't change.
He doesn't say anything, before he reaches for the hem of my sweater, swiftly pulling it over my head.
"Jin, what are you - "
He stands, still holding onto my sweater as he backs two steps. I feel his eyes roaming my upper body and I stare at him in confusion. What was wrong with him?
He swears under his breath. Now he was making me feel really body-conscious though.
"What?"
He throws my sweater back at me and it lands smack against my face. I pull it off - Jin's frown has disappeared into the blank canvas of his face.
"Am I dying?" I'd meant it as a joke. Jin looked like he needed to crack a smile. The worry on his face worries me.
But he is quiet.
"Will you heal me?"
"I can't."
I blink. He couldn't heal me? Were the injuries too extreme?
"Taehyung, your body is deteriorating in itself."
"…what?"
"The Aamon's power is a delicate balance - a precise equilibrium between Heaven and Hell. Both entities cancel each other out; hence, safeguarding your body. This is why it is important for the Aamon to use both powers."
"I've been using the power of Hell too often," I murmur, realizing what Jin was getting at.
"We've also been feeding off each other too often."
I look up at him, unsure what he meant.
"Although I'm part of your Court, my origin is still of Hell. You feeding off my energy would've filled you with more power from Hell than what should be proportionate."
"So… what are you saying?"
"Unless you regain balance, your body will continuously be filled with the venom of Hell. That would've explained your violent tempers recently."
"How do I regain balance? By being a saint?"
"You have to master Heaven's power."
"And if I don't?"
Jin points at me. "Look at your body, Taehyung. Look at the injuries that keep appearing. An imbalance prevents your body from healing. It will continuously make you weaker until even the effort of standing will kill you."
What the Hell. Yoochun was right. I *was* dying.
"But… I can't. There's no one to teach me."
"You have never been formally taught in the first place. You can do it."
"Jin, Heaven has entities beyond me. Ark Angels and Prophets and God! They supercede me!"
"The previous Aamons did just fine."
"In case you forgot, I am *not* any of the previous Aamons. I've never been taught, I've never been trained, I've never even met them!"
"Then you have to try!" Jin is getting increasingly either annoyed at my answers or pissed that I hadn't magically gotten control of a power in God's domain.
"I'm trying!" I get to my feet, feeling that unfamiliar temper rising again. The throb of power, a dull ache in the back of my mind, warns me that losing control now would lead to an outcome worse than what had happened to the living room.
"Then you have to try harder!"
"What's wrong with you?" I exclaim, incredulous at his demands. "Have you seen me? I barely have the capacity to control Hell. Now you want me to control Heaven too?"
"Taehyung, if you don't learn to control Heaven soon, you *will* die."
"Good!" I bite back, the anger and rage lying dormant building in me again. "Then I won't have to deal with being Aamon any longer!"
Jin closes the distance between us by striding forward, grabbing me by my jaw as he roughly pulls me towards him. Great. Was that going to bruise too?
There is an unrestrained rage in his eyes as he stares me down, the both of us nearly nose to nose.
"I have lived for many millenia, Taehyung. I have lost countless people I deemed significant, who I deemed important. I have lost brothers and sisters in arms. I lost family, friends and allies, all of whom haunt me in my nightmares. I chose not to save them. I won't make the same mistake with you."
I swat his hand away, before shoving him back. I move instead of him, and fall back on my on the bed. "Who are you to dictate the choices I make?" The rage is clouding my senses. All I want to do is yell and scream and maybe hurt this person before me. I didn't matter to me that this anger didn't make sense. Jin was trying his best; he wanted to save me. Why didn't I allow it? "Get away from me." I attempt to push him away. When that doesn't work, I resort to hitting him. 
It made no sense and I probably looked ridiculous but I needed an outlet for this rage.
"Taehyung, the anger clouding your senses is not yours." Jin sounds so patient, as if he is talking to a small child. He catches my wrists, enveloping them in his hands as he immobilizes me. "Taehyung, stop it."
"Why can't things be fine for once?" I seethe, looking up at him through my bangs. "Why must something always, *always* go wrong?"
Jin levels his gaze at me, expression calm and blank. "I don't know."
That wasn't the answer I wanted.
I slam my power into him, feeling him flinch before he forces his shields down in a coccoon of protection. His hold on my wrists tightens and I squirm, trying to get out of his hold.
"Taehyung, enough!" He pushes me violently against the bed and I fall against it, before he braces himself on top of me, both my wrists held tightly in his left hand as his right hand supported his weight.
"Get *off me!*" I use my legs to kick violently at him, knowing they won't make him budge an inch yet at the same time needing *some sort of outlet* for my emotions.
"Taehyung, if you don't stop -"
*You'll what, Jin?* I seethe, projecting the thought straight into his mind. *You'll suuck me dry again?*
That does it. I know I've hit a raw nerve somewhere. I wonder if Jin is going to hurl me out the window. 
Jin does the exact opposite however, when he leans forward and kisses me, pressing his lips on mine. The entire shock of it all makes me go still.
He presses his hand -along with both of mine - against my chest, effectively rendering me immobile again.
Despite it all, I find myself calming down, the anger somehow fizzling out from my entire system as I kiss him back. His kiss is gentle, as if he fears breaking me, a far cry from the rough hold he has on my hands to keep me still.
He finally lets go, wrapping his now free arm around my waist as he pulls me closer towards him, pressing his chest against mine. The sensation is new.
There is no transfer of power, no threat of dying, no anger behind this form. Jin was just… kissing me.
I reach up for him, my hands running through his hair, wanting him closer despite our already close proximity. His scent and taste fills me, the familiar smell of lillies, the taste of mint.
My thoughts somehow gets increasingly clearer, logic and sense return to me, the cloud of rage dissipating.
His weight atop me becomes a comfort, his lips on mine a drug again - this time less toxic than when he feeds - yet still addictive all the same.
"Taehyung." He breathes my name into me, his lips still on mine. It sounded like a prayer, like a man who has long crossed the line of need and was running purely on desperation. "Taehyung."
My hands cup his cheeks, running down his neck before they settle on his collar. I start ing his shirt. If I was shirtless, he had to be too.
And then his hand is on mine, stopping me as he breaks the kiss. I gasp for breath, looking up at him. There is no electrifying feeling of loss as he stares right back at me - there was no transfer of power.
"Listen to me," he murmurs, voice hoarse. He is rushed as he explains. "What is in you right now, what emotions you constantly feel, they aren't you. They're me. Our constant power transfers has influenced your soul to be just like mine. The attraction you feel is *not real*. Neither is the anger. It is my power in your soul. You will always be leaning to side with Hell because of me. Heaven knows this is a danger. The Aamon must always remain neutral, but with constant power transfers with Lucifer's son, you won't be able to think straight."
"They want to separate us," I breathe, still finding my breath as I take in what he's just said.
Jin shakes his head. "They want your soul cleansed."
I blink. "How?"
Jin straightens, standing once more as he buttons his shirt up to his collar. Aww. I was starting to like the view. And I was starting to miss his weight on me.
At least the separation this time wasn't a physical ache. Maybe Jin was right. Maybe that was the demon-side, the incubus influence on me that made me crave so greatly for him when he fed.
"I don't know," he says truthfully, extending a hand towards me. I take it and he pulls me up to sitting position. "I have never been familiar with how Heaven works. But I think Cain's presence here was a sign. And seeing you defend me and reject the invitation..."
"You think he lied about the canonization?"
"Heavenly entities cannot lie. Cain has no reason to, either."
I am quite for a moment as I slip the turtle neck back on.
"So what are we gonna do?"
"I don't know," Jin confesses, as he runs a hand through his hair. He looks good. Was that my thoughts or his? "You just said no to the most powerful force of past, present and future existence. We have to expect surprises."
"I'm sorry."
He turns to me, the question in his eyes.
"For causing trouble again."
He sighs, slipping his hands into his pockets. "You didn't cause the trouble, Taehyung. I did. This is on me."
"What do you think will happen?"
"Cain will report to the Angels. It's up to them to choose what happens."
"But… what will God say? What will He do?"
"I already said this to Cain. God doesn't interfere. He watches. Like a spectator."
"Why? I thought -"
"God knows the end destination of all decisions, all Creation. It is against His ideal to interfere in the destiny of His creations."
"So He's not gonna help us?"
"No." Jin looks up right then, straight at me. He says nothing but stares.
"…what is it?"
He glances away, staring at the wall to my right. "I'm sorry. For hurting you."
"It's okay," I answer automatically. "They don't hurt."
"And for putting this upon you. You wouldn't be dying if it weren't -" He pauses, and his expression is suddenly angry. He is mad at himself.
"Hey." He looks up at me. "I'm not dying."
For another moment, he is quiet, before he nods.
He turns and leaves the room, and I don't stop him.

New bruises are starting to appear on my body.
My wrists are red and inflamed - adding colour to the purple bruises originally already on them. There is a length of black and blue against my back from where Jin had lifted me of the bed and my neck and shoulders ache like crazy. Even my thighs and calves are developing red and blue welts from me kicking Jin. My back *hurts* from the meagre act of getting up and sitting down and it was driving me crazy.
This fragile body was getting ridiculous. If I did die from body aches, it would probably be some sort of sweet relief.
I towel myself dry before I reach for my pajamas - technically my day clothes since I couldn't afford to look underdressed in case an emergency had me running out of bed. Life was tough.
I head out my bathroom. Jin had subsequently cancelled all my classes, schedules and meetings for the week with the excuse of me feeling unwell.
My bedroom is empty again. 
I wonder where Jungkook is. Jin had said he'd run off - probably to his Court. I wanted to apologize for scaring him. It wasn't his fault I'd been angry. I'd scared him. He didn't deserve to see me like that.
I curl up in bed, feeling the now familiar body aches and pain every action seemed to bring. It was getting pretty annoying. The other half of my bed usually dominated by a sleeping werewolf-demon hybrid is empty and I long for him. I'll apologize tomorrow when I see him.

I wake up again to the sound of a literal explosion happening all around. Hands are on me before I can even register what the Hell is happening, and I am pulled off the bed and buried under two bodies as debris rains down on us.
My eyes haven't even focused but the blinding light and that distinct hum that follows are all too familiar.
"Your Highness, are you alright?" Rosé is practically screaming at me over the din and panic. "We have to move!"
I nod, getting to my feet as I grab for my sneakers beneath the bed. "What's happening?"
"We don't know," Lois answers, squinting dramatically over the light. Crap. He was a vampire, wasn't he? Would this light hurt him?
Where was Jin? Where is Jungkook? Were the Vampire King and the Sovereign alright? What about the other guards?
The three of us run out the bedroom, hunched down with our arms over our heads to protect ourselves. The light is blinding at this point, and the only way I guide myself forward is through Lois's hand against my arm as he pulls me along. That would create another bruise but Heck it, surviving was the current priority.
We somehow make it out to the living room, where the rest of my guards are. Some are on the ground - unmoving. Yoochun is hunched over, his hands pressed against his ears. His guards surround him. Their faces are contorted in pain. Vampiric hearing would've made the keening noise astounding to their ears.
Four more guards come to my aid though I was honestly pretty fine with the two at my side.
"Where's Jin?" I ask-yell, my hands pressed against my ears.
The guard closest to me, a warlock-elf named Alexander, signals with a jut of his chin. 
"We have to get you out of here, Your Highness!" he continues.
I turn to where he has pointed.
Jin is right there, standing smack in the middle of the noise and debris as he stares at the strongest source of light, the balcony.  The light is so incredible that I feel the burn on my skin and behind my eyelids when I shut my eyes - and I wasn't even a demon. The pain he is in must be something else. I belatedly realise that someone stands beside him. It's Yunho.
What the Hell was he doing trying to fight Angels?
"Jin!" His back is to me. He is so near - he should be able to hear me. But Jin doesn't move, doesn't react, doesn't say anything.
Alexander has started pulling me back, an arm around my waist as he bodily drags me away. "Jin!"
I feel a hand squeeze my arm and I turn to see Yoochun. 
"What's the Vampire King doing?!" I nearly shriek.
"Helping Jin!" he yells right back. "Turns out telepathy works just as well against them!"
"Who?!" I ask, the noise scrambling my thoughts.
*The Angels.* Jin's voice echoes in my head and I fall silent. *They're here.*
He was fending them off himself again. And I couldn't help.
*Get out of here, Taehyung.*
The hum reaches a staggeringly low pitch, the vibrations tangible in my chest and in my eardrums.
"What do they want?!" I scream at him. I can't even pull a decent thought in my head from the invasion of senses going on.
*You.*
And then another explosion, as the entire balcony, the windows, the walls and all attached to it, explodes inwards and Jin and Yunho are thrown back. Jin slams against the couch while the Vampire King is bodily caught by one of his guards. The hum gets louder, the light gets brighter, and the pain escalates. Alexander has dropped me, and I curl against the ground screaming. Yoochun is on top of me, bodily trying to block out what little noise he can. Another of my guards completely collapses, motionless as he hits the ground.
Tears are streaming down my face as I desperately try blocking the humming out. My head was going to explode at this rate.
*Taehyung! Open your eyes!*
*The light is burning!*
*OPEN THEM!*
I do as Jin tells me to, and immediately feel like my corneas are being burnt right out of my eyeballs. I squint my eyes and somehow catch an image of Jin making an army crawl towards me. His clothes are torn and he is bleeding from a deep cut against his temple though it was already healing as I stare.
He murmurs a spell, and I literally see it leave his lips in some kind of cloudish smoke, before it slams against my face and Yoochun's.
"What the Hell was that!" I yell at Jin.
"Protection ward," he murmurs, stopping his journey towards me. "It blocks out the Angel's presence somewhat."
I blink, belatedly noticing that the hum wasn't ringing in my ears any longer and the light was suddenly a lot less blinding. Yoochun gingerly gets off me and I push myself off the ground.
*There is no way I can win against Angels,* I confess, projecting the thought to Jin.
*The point isn't to win.*
I turn to Yoochun, meeting his eyes. He gets the signal, nodding only once.
I spring to my feet as I call on to my power, before Yoochun grabs me by the back of my shirt - and literally hurls me forward. I call on to the fires of Hell, feeling them encompass my entire being before I throw the entirety of the fire towards the Angels.
Jim fluidly catches me as my flames grow in size and volume, before encompassing the whole of the balcony and slamming right into the light. The unSeen Angels catch my flames and absorb them, though not before the fire burns their outer forms.
I see the Vampire King move, his eyes glowing a bright purple before he calls onto his power. His hands glow a startling purple light that he throws against the Angels. He moves faster than my eyes could catch. I've never seen him in action and watching now, I understood how he lived through so many wars. Yunho was a formidable opponent, even to Angels.
Jin lets me go, and I continue on with my onslaught, calling for more fire from Hell. The flames respond much more readily to me, and I slam them blindly against the Angels. Jin joins me not long after. Though the protective wards and spells he'd placed around the suite were basically destroyed, I had faith that he had something up his sleeve. He throws spell after spell at the beings, and I hear satisfying cracks and crunches where each spell lands - almost as if the armour the Angels wore was cracking from Jin's power.
We could do it. If we just continue for a bit longer, we could drive them out.
"Fifth Aamon."
The voice literally jars me, freezing me where I stood. Beside me, Yunho reacts exactly as I do. The ball of fire I had in my hands ready to throw, combusts and disappears. I feel every muscle tense.
The voice is mechanical - even robotic. It is monotonous, apathetic and dead. It was nothing like the voice of Angels one imagines.
Unrestrained fear fills me down to my toes. I had never been this afraid facing Lucifer, nor fighting with armies of demons, nor surviving onslaught by Seraphim designed to kill me. These Angels were not ones described in fairytales. 
These were blind followers, designed to obey orders at all costs - at all expense. Nothing would get to them.
"Fifth Aamon."
And they repeat it, over and over again, like some kind of hymn.
"Fifth Aamon, Fifth Aamon, Fifth Aamon."
"What's going on," I hear Yunho murmur. I shake my head. I had no idea.
*What in the world is wrong with them?* I mentally ask Jin.
*Don't move.*
I spare the riskiest moment to glance at him. Jin is completely still, his eyes still on the source of light.
*There are weapons pointed at us - weapons made to purify and obliterate.*
*WHAT?!*
*Taehyung, these are Localities, Angels created to blindly serve. Please do not attempt to reason out with them.*
I hadn't been thinking of trying, but it was still a good Heads Up.
"Fifth. Aamon." That final one had been said with such power and authority that I find my fear creeping up again. The voice sounded like it was from those bad mics that constantly break out in keening noises. I find myself putting my hands over my ears despite the protection ward.
"What do you want?!" I yell at them.
And suddenly a portion of the light becomes a tangible form, solid matter that morphs into three human-like shapes. I'd seen this before, seen this happen during the battle with Lucifer and Potestas had descended from above to help us - only to be killed five minutes into battle.
The original form of Angels - the true forms they were created in, were not sustainable by human terms. An earthly being would simply explode from the power of their presence. So Angels were known to - once in a while - obtain human guise should they need to communicate with an Earthly soul.
Like now.
A woman in a full suit and tie appears before us, flanked by two men behind her. Majestic wings rest against their backs as they stare their blank faces at us. I feel Yunho tense. Yoochun would probably be the same. They weren't used to seeing Angels, were they.
"Your Highness." The woman speaks as all three of them bow, her voice sounding like it was layered with a thousand different people. I hide the shudder. Though they were - in all sense of the word - ethereal, there is a hidden danger to them, like some sort of predator readying to pounce. "Greetings."
"What are you doing here?" I breathe, feeling Jin move carefully towards me, before he stands to my immediate left. He has a gentle hand against my elbow, which he pulls as he bows.
I refuse to move, not budging as I stared the woman - I assume to be the lead Angel - down. Yunho doesn't bow either. He seems to be too transfixed. The Angel's face doesn't even flinch.
Jin straightens, letting go of my elbow.
"We came to retrieve the Aamon for the canonization."
"I already said I wasn't going."
"The Lord demands his presence," she continues.
"No, He doesn't," Jin seethes. "The Lord has stopped giving direct command for thousands of years."
The woman shifts her gaze to him. "Azazel," she hums. "It is good to see you after so long."
"The Aamon has already rejected the invitation, Dardael," Jin says. "He has other matters he must attend to."
"The mission must be fulfilled at all costs."
I glance at Jin. What did that even mean?
Jin literally growls at her. "Do you forget that the Aamon shares Heavenly power? You cannot force him."
"We are aware. We shall not force him."
I stare back at her. It sounded like she had something up her sleeve.
"He will come to us willingly."
Yunho slowly extends an arm out before me, ready to grab me out of harm's way. He gets the jibe. I see him spare Jin a glance, and I know they are communicating with each other somehow.
Dardael extends her arm, almost as if she is reaching for something. The palm of her hand suddenly glows a bright, bright light that has me squinting my eyes and looking away. What was she planning? Did she have a weapon she was going to use?
The light lengthens, stretching down to the floor almost as if it is solid. What was it? A staff? A sword?
And then the light is gone. I look back up at her.
Jungkook.
Dardael has him by his throat, his feet hanging off the floor and Jungkook squirms violently as he chokes on her hold. He is bleeding heavily, his clothes torn and his shoes and socks missing.
I had never had such an amazing turn of emotions as the rage returns with a vengeance and the room literally blows up in fire. I am blind and deaf once again as my senses both dull and heighten, all thought and logic gone as my mind has only one focus.
Get. Jungkook. Back.
"JUNGKOOK!" My voice is guttural - I am literally roaring from rage. I move at the same time Yunho does as he wraps his arms around my waist and bodily stops me from leaping forward to attack. "NO!" I scream, immediately starting to try get out his hold.
Jin moves forward so fast that I miss it. He is suddenly between the Angels and me, one arm outstretched towards me to signal me to stop, and another towards the Angels to signal them to wait.
"Let him go." Jin's voice is layered with power, fair warning in his tone as he creeps slowly to the left to block me and Yunho from the Angels' view. "He's just a child. He knows nothing."
"Yes," the lead Angel agrees. "He is just a child. He means nothing to us."
"He's an Innocent," Jin stresses. "He will do no harm."
Out of the corner of my eye, I see Yoochun slowly moving forward, irises turned to slits - in full attack mode. I make one last attempt to squirm free, only for Yunho to tighten his hold around my waist.
*Hush, Taehyung.* The sudden voice in my mind makes me freeze. It wasn't Jin or Jungkook. It was Yunho's. *Your bodyguard has a plan.*
"Release him," Jin continues. "This is your only warning."
And she moves, slamming Jungkook straight into the ground, her hand still wrapped tightly around his throat.
That seems to be the trigger, as Yunho lets me go and I call my flames forward. Jin moves at the same time I do, both of us leaping for Jungkook to grab him to safety. Jin's human guise literally bursts as he morphs to demon form, jaws wide open to match my own roar, his left hand already holding his sword, positioned to strike.
I throw my power forward, feeling the flames respond, and hurl them at Dardael. She doesn't even flinch, but the Angel to her left leaps forward, absorbing the blow.
Wrong move.
My flames turn to snakes that wrap around his form before I violently pull. The Angel explodes, disappearing in a burst of light. 
Jin flies over my head, sword positioned to strike Dardael against her head. The other Angel suddenly appears before him, absorbing the full force of one blow with one arm. It drives the Angel to his knees, but he retaliates with a burst of power that throws Jin back.
The evening light from the balcony suddenly goes dark, the view obstructed by a massive, moving, thriving cloud. I waste half a second to stare, before the entirety of that cloud screams and bursts straight into the suite.
Bats.
Hundreds of bats, circling the four walls of the living room, before slamming right into the Angel. 
I glance over my shoulder to Yoochun, whose eyes are fully purple. The Sovereign had powers over animals, didn't he. 
Each bat slams into the Angel, being absorbed into its form. Ten, twenty, several hundred are each swallowed straight through, until the Angel's form can take no more and literally explodes in a dramatic crescendo of bat cries.
The effect doesn't seem to be permanent however, as another Angel appears, leaping for Jin and they engage in battle.
"Jin!"
*Focus on Jungkook!*
I whirl back to Dardael, who stares right back at me with the same dead expression in her eyes.
"LET HIM GO!"
She says nothing, but does exactly that. Jungkook inhales loudly as the chokehold he is in is finally relinquished, and he coughs and clutches at his throat.
"Jungkook, come here!" I yell, about to reach for him when I catch a movement. Dardael produces a sword she had hidden behind her back. I had somehow missed it. She raises it above her head.
I put two and two together. Jungkook lying against the ground, reaching for me. Dardael literally standing over him.
Shiit. Shiit. SHIIIIIIIIT.
"JUNGKOOK, WATCH OUT!"
He whirls around at my warning, lying on his back as he looks up at Dardael. 
Yunho moves, hands glowing purple as he throws his psychokinetic powers forward. A visible mental wall appears right in front of Jungkook and for a moment, I think he's able to stop the blow.
Dardael slams her sword down straight through, breaking through the shield. The burst of power that exudes the moment the shield breaks throws us back, and I slam against the floor.
I scamper up on all fours, just in time to see the sword plunge straight into him, impaling Jungkook straight through the middle of his chest. It was a Holy weapon. Jungkook was part demon.
He screams in pain, arching his back as he clutches the blade in a fruitless bid to take it out of him.
"TAEHYUNG!" he screams. "TAEHYUNG!" Tears stream down his face as he violently squirms. 
I stare. I can't think of anything to say or do. Shock renders me totally frozen. The rage is gone. There is no more fight in me - no more anger, no more desire to hurt or kill, no more desire to win.
There is the sound of limbs tearing behind me, before a burst of light fills the room momentarily. Jin has killed the Angel he was fighting.
My vision blurs as I feel the tears drip down my face. I can't even breathe. Jungkook has arched his back high enough to be able to look at me staring back at him.
"IT HURTS!" he screams again. "IT HURTS!"
Time seems to have stopped. The bats are gone. Yunho is lying still on the ground next to me. I think the pure strength of that blow has seriously hurt him. Yoochun doesn't even move, eyes right on Jungkook.
I look up at Dardael, who looks like she's patiently awaiting an answer. 
"Please," I beg, realising that my voice has gone whisper soft. "He's just a child."
"The mission must be fulfilled at all costs."
I get it now. They were going to get me up to Heaven. They couldn't force me to go. They had to find a way to make me agree. And Jungkook was the way.
Jin lands right beside me, shifting back to human form as he stares with plain shock and anger at Jungkook.
"I'll go," I whisper. "I'll go with you."
"Taehyung, no!" Jungkook protests. Dardael reacts by driving the sword deeper in him and my little one screams again.
"NO!" I scream. "STOP IT, YOU'RE HURTING HIM!"
I take two steps forward before I fall forward, my knees giving way. "I SAID I'LL GO! DON'T HURT HIM!"
Dardael reacts by crudely pulling the sword out of Jungkook's body, and a burst of blood shoots out of Jungkook's chest. He screams again. The sound is tantamount to a million Angels humming in my ears. I crawl towards him, not caring how ridiculous and pathetic I look.
"Jungkook!" I reach him, immediately pressing my hand against his bleeding wound. My tears fall against his face as I look up at him. 
"I'm sorry," he sobs as he looks up at me. "This is all my fault. I couldn't -"
"It's okay," I breathe, resting my other hand against his cheek. "It doesn't matter. You're safe now. That's all that matters. I'm sorry. I should never have left you alone."
Jungkook shakes his head. "I had to head to the Lycan Court. The Angels said they needed my help. I said yes and they took me away. I was careless. I'm so sorry."
I feel a hand on my bicep and know exactly who it is.
Jungkook glances at the hand before he looks up at me, the fear and desperation returning. "Mama, no, Mama." It is his turn to beg and he starts sobbing all over again. "Mama, please don't go. I already lost you once. I can't lose you again." His hand rests heavily on the hand I had on his wound. "Mama, please no."
"Shh," I soothe, feeling further tears fall from my face. "It's going to be okay. I got this."
He starts shaking his head vehemently as I slip my hand out of his. It's amazingly easy since both our hands are slick with his blood.
The hand on my bicep starts to pull, and I am dragged back. Jungkook screams again, reaching for me. He manages a hold on my shirt.
I am dragged further and my shirt slips from between his fingers.
"MAMA, NO!"
I look up to see Jin staring, the look on his face that of panic and confusion. Our eyes meet.
I nod once.
Dardael was dragging me away faster and I stumble to stand. 
Yoochun takes a hesitant step forward, before he stops. He stares at me like he truly fears for my life.
I feel an arm wrap around my waist and I swallow the *very* strong urge to panic.
"Taehyung!" Jin finally breaks through his spell of shock, and takes two steps forward.
I suddenly hunch over, before quickly straightening as I hit Dardael against her chin with my elbow. It wouldn't hurt her - but it was enough of a distraction. 
I call on to my flames again, this time, allowing all my rage, frustration and all other emotions taking control. I was done holding back. 
The ground around us literally explodes in flames - the power much like setting a bomb off in the room - as a fiery gyser engulfs Dardael and I. She screams as she lets me go before I whirl around and grab her by .
I pull her down to my level as my flames wrap around us, tickling me with their heat - and burning Dardael with very much the same.
"You tell your Angels and whatever other friends you have up there in Heaven," I growl, seeing what could only be terror reflected in her eyes, "that should they mess with the Aamon and his allies one more time, he will send the fires of Hell straight to the Pearly Gates."
I don't even wait for her reply, as I tighten my hold on her neck, and throw her back with another burst of fire. She literally shoots straight out the balcony, before disappearing in a blinding flash of light.
I stare at the evening sky. It is clear. No Angels, no keening sound in my ears, no fires, no screams of pain.
The Angels were gone. Jungkook was safe. Jin was alright. Yoochun was alive - so was Yunho. My guards… I think they were okay. They were probably just knocked out.
Things turned out just fine - for now.
I fall to my knees, feeling the blood drip out my nose and mouth - and onto the burnt carpet floor. Jin had warned me that using too much of Hell's power would turn the strength into poison.
I guess he was right.
My heartbeat seems to slow down, getting louder and louder until it is the only thing I hear - the only thing that seems to matter. My chest constricts, almost as if my lungs and heart were fighting for space. It hurts to even breathe. There seems to be a rush of air in my ears. Vertigo hits me, and I finally fall, landing on my shoulder before my head finally slams against the ground.
I hear panicked yells and rushed footsteps, before I feel myself being forcefully turned over on my back.
I look up to Yoochun's face, and he is yelling - not at me, but at some others in the room I couldn't concentrate on. He's probably shouting commands. 
Was the Vampire King alright? Would Jungkook survive?
Would I survive?
I guess the Sovereign had been right all along.
I really was dying.

 

 

Part 1 of 2.

I wanted to introduce the Vampire King and his liege because many donkey years ago (maybe five? Lolol) I made a fic about them but didn't think to post it since I forgot the password for my previous account. Might think to post it here!

Also, I apologize for my late updates. Just finished my three month stint as an intern at a law firm and I just started a new semester at uni. Super busy times right uni xD