even if just a little

Even if Just a Little

Dongmin was suffering. Peaking at somewhat close to panic after seeing Moonbin again that one night at Eunjin's birthday party. Suffering and regretting were all too familiar now. He wanted to fix it but yet figured how to do that. Just seeing Moonbin's face for a few seconds made him feel overwhelmed with emotions with the year they spent together. He wanted to go back. Back to where they were happy. When they would spend time together at the cafe or the beach at his hometown. He vividly remembers Moonbin begging to go with him for spring break. 

When they arrived at the beach the sun's rays peacefully float, resting on the warm waters. And the timid clouds rarely exposed leaving the sky to beam blue. They sat next to each other underneath the shade of the few trees where they had a wide view of sea and several dunes of beige dust soon to be soaked in by the tide.

"Promise me when you go to college you won't forget about me." Dongmin notices Moonbin's face becoming serious, as the occasional breeze blows his chocolate brown hair. 

"I will never leave you, Bin-ah. You are my best friend."

Moonbin leans in close a grin spreads against his face and his eyes brighten once again. Dongmin felt his cheeks tint bright pink. He didn't want to admit how much Moonbin meant to him. He quickly turns his head, hoping that Moonbin didn't notice. He watches a young boy jumps around as he scatters grains of sand with his arms flailing around with his younger sister who was eating strawberry ice cream. The sweet pink frozen treat getting around her lips.

"I'll be right back." Moonbin tells him before getting up, leaving Dongmin sitting quietly alone. After only a few minutes he comes back with vanilla and sprinkles ice cream in a waffle cone. He hands it towards Dongmin as he his own. 

"This is for you."

"You didn't have to."

"I know but it's a treat. I wanted to thank you for bring me here."

​It was truly days like this that were the best.

Dongmin closes his eyes as he felt himself dozing off on the couch. Thoughts of Moonbin continued to fill his mind. Are you doing okay? Do you still think about me? 

***

Moonbin finishes zipping up his last bag, it was the last day and he couldn't afford to stay. He gives a loud sigh as he looks around the empty room where all his belongings used to be. "Well we had good times." He uses his sleeve to wipe his nose, as he blinks back tears. It's been so long since he cried. The last time was most likely at his mother's funeral early that yearMoonbin hurries as he takes his bags as he reads the text from Minhyuk telling him he's here. From the window he could see Mr. Park was standing outside of his car along with Minhyuk. Minhyuk waves as he spots Moonbin. 

The ride back to Minhyuk's house was quiet. Moonbin leans his head against the window as he watches the scenery of houses and other buildings in the city pass by. It was around eight when they arrived to Mrs. Park setting up the table. She just finished cooking dinner and Moonbin felt his stomach grumble when he saw the side dishes. He hadn't ate since early in the morning. 

"You must be hungry, Moonbin." She gives a small laugh, before helping him put his stuff down. "Aigoo, it feels like you're my second son." She cups his face, her fingers were warm against his skin.

"Mom... stop being so embarrassing." Minhyuk groans, when he finishes up washing his hands.

"You're just jealous."

Just standing here reminded him so much he missed his mother and Sua. And sometimes even his father before leaving. It's almost funny you don't realize how much miss someone until something triggers you to remember the past. 

***

Moonbin quickly rushes out as he finishes his shift at the library for the day. Moonbin apologizes profusely as he almost bumped into a boy who was about to check his books out. He just wanted to go home before Dongmin would know that he works here too. Moonbin stops as he felt a light tap on his shoulder when he finally reached outside. 

"Bin-ah, hi."

Moonbin felt like his whole world was going to collapse when he saw Dongmin smiling and waving at him like nothing had happened. Moonbin could have swore his smile could have caused world peace.  It made him feel crazy how much he loved and hated him.

"Hi." 

"So you work here too?"

Moonbin nods, hoping that Dongmin would get the gist that he's not interested in him anymore. "I'll be leaving first." He bows politely before continuing down the stairs.

"Wait." Dongmin bit his lip, not wanting Moonbin to go that quickly. "Would you like to have dinner with me? If you haven't ate already."

"Who's buying?"

"I will as a treat."

"Fine. I'll go."

Dongmin's face brightens as he hears his response. "I know a good restaurant nearby."

***

It had just started raining when Dongmin and Moonbin stepped outside the restaurant to the black night sky. "I didn't know it was going to rain."

"I should have brought an umbrella."

Moonbin watches the rain drops hit the ground for a moment before heading off to home. "Thanks for the meal."

"It's really late to go by yourself, maybe you should stay over my place for the night."

"W-what?" 

"Only if you want." Dongmin looks down embarrassed, his dark hair covers his eyes. 

Moonbin ended up sleeping until the afternoon and woke to the same sound of rain as he had gone to sleep to. He had to work soon and he gave a loud sigh at the thought of it. Going back out into the rain was the last thing he wanted and leaving Dongmin too.