Chapter 2

Secrets

The next couple of weeks you got to see Taeyong and the other members several times. You had grown close to Mark and Yuta in particular. It was easy to get along with them. They were talkative, outgoing and they were able to make you laugh easily. You had grown fond of them in a short amount of time.

Currently Taeyong and you were lying on the couch, watching a movie together. The screen illuminated the room with bright colors. You were lying on his chest and you could slightly hear his heartbeat. His breath tickled your skin. He was softly running his fingers along your arms unconsciously. It had been a tiring week for the both of you, so it was nice to be able to sit down and do nothing for once.

It was a romantic movie and you had forced Taeyong to watch it with you. He didn’t seem to mind it a lot. While watching the movie, you couldn’t help but imagine Taeyong and you as the main characters. Sometimes you were incredibly envious of normal couples who didn’t have to worry about people seeing them in public. You shook your head to get rid of these thoughts. You loved Taeyong and wouldn’t replace him for anyone else in this world. You shifted slightly and his arms tightened around you.

An hour went by and before you had even noticed it, the credits were rolling down the screen. ‘Did you like the movie?’ Taeyong asked softly as he twirled a piece of your hair around his finger. You nodded your head. You had been wanting to watch this movie for a long time now and you were happy to see that it hadn’t failed to impress you. ‘I hope it wasn’t too agonizing for you,’ you said with crooked smile on your face. ‘You’re lucky I love you so much,’ he stated with a smirk. You hit him lightly on his chest.

You stretched your body and noticed an uncomfortable pressure on your bladder. ‘I need to go to the bathroom real quick,’ you said as you untangled yourself from his limbs. He tugged on your hand before you could leave. ‘Give me a kiss first,’ Taeyong said as he tilted your face towards his. You smiled and quickly placed a sweet kiss on his lips. You stood up and went to the bathroom. Taeyong grabbed his phone from his pocket and scrolled through the latest news articles while you were gone.

You made sure to check your own reflection after you had washed your hands. Your hair was a little bit of a mess because Taeyong had been playing with it during the movie, so you grabbed a brush to fix it. When you were satisfied with the way you looked, you unlocked the door. ‘Taeyong, are you staying the night?’ you asked as you left the bathroom. All you heard was silence. ‘Tae?’ You walked into the living room to see him looking down at his phone. You weren’t able to read the expression on his face. ‘Are you okay?’ you asked.

He stayed silent. You could see him clenching his jaw.

‘Tae, is something wrong? Why aren’t you saying anything?’ you asked slightly concerned.

After a minute he finally broke the silence.

‘Y/N… is there something you need to tell me?’ he asked in the coldest voice ever. You froze. You had never seen Taeyong like this before.

‘What do you mean? What are you talking about?’ you asked confused. His behavior was worrying you now.

Abruptly, he stood up from the couch and showed you what he had been looking at for the past minute on his phone. It took you a second to process what was happening, then you gasped quietly at what you saw. A picture of you and Jaehyun kissing was displayed on the screen.

Based on your reaction Taeyong figured his suspicions were right. ‘I can’t believe you,’ he said as he walked past you to grab his jacket.

‘Taeyong, wait! This is not what it looks like, I swear. I can explain,’ you said desperately as you tried to stop him from leaving. ‘You don’t have to explain anything to me. All the evidence is right there in front of me. Is that what you’ve been doing these past couple of weeks?! I trusted you, Y/N. Forget it. I’m leaving.’

You shook your head as the tears threatened to fall down your cheeks. ‘No, stop. Please don’t go. Let me explain myself!’ You tried to grab hold of his sleeve, but he simply shrugged you off while he made his way towards the front door.

‘Tae–’

He slammed the door shut before you could get another word across your lips. You stood there in disbelief as the tears ran down your face. This wasn’t how things were supposed to go. You hadn’t planned on keeping this a secret from Taeyong. You simply hadn’t expected things to turn out this way.

You quickly grabbed your phone to see what all of this was about. How had he gotten hold of those pictures? No one was ever supposed to see them.

You didn’t have to search for long.

BREAKING: NCT member Jaehyun caught kissing with an unknown girl?!

Unmistakably, that was your face. Pictures of you and Jaehyun headlined all news articles. You tried to read one of the articles through your tears, even though you could already predict what it would say about the two of you. Someone had managed to grab hold of pictures of you and Jaehyun. The press thought you were dating, so that’s what they had decided to tell the public.

You scrolled down to read the comments. Some were supportive, others were against it, but none of that mattered. You tabbed out of the article and tried to dial Taeyong’s number. As expected, he didn’t answer the phone. Knowing Taeyong, he probably turned his phone off. You bit your lip in frustration.

There was only one solution you could think of in your state of desperation. You cautiously dialed a number you hadn’t called in a long time and you never thought you would have to call that person ever again. Even though you deleted it a long time ago, you still remembered this phone number clearly. It seemed like it was imprinted in your mind.

After a minute the person on the other side of the line finally answered the phone. ‘Hello, who is this?’ you could hear a voice ask, slightly confused.

‘Jaehyun, it’s me.’

That’s all you had to say.

You knew he would be able to recognize your voice immediately. ‘I’m assuming you’ve read the articles?’ he asked you. ‘Yes, that’s why we need to talk. In person,’ you replied. ‘Do you think you can make it to my place without being seen? You still remember where it is, right?’ you asked for confirmation. ‘Of course, I’ll be there soon,’ he said as he hung up the phone.

You sat down on the couch and bit your lip as you contemplated the entire situation.

How were you going to fix this?