Fin.

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Midnight is a good time. All darkness emerges and does not fall until two hours later.

Kim Jongwoon has seen demons and witches of all types, but he blatantly refuses to operate within the 12-2 am timeframe.

When Han Geng, his best friend and fellow supernatural enthusiast, dares him and wins, the one thing he requests is to go exploring for two hours, starting at exactly midnight.

"Come on, it'll be fun!" he'd begged. Jongwoon had screamed in frustration, nearly beat up his friend, and managed to keep calm.

"Fun, he said," he'd growled at Han Geng. "We are going to die, and it will be on you."

And that is why they are strolling around in the woods at 12:30 am.

Jongwoon is thoroughly freaked out. He can actually feel the tendrils of evil in the pressing darkness.

Apparently, Han Geng feels the same, but his pride is killing him. "We have to stay. It was a deal, remember?" he hisses.

Jongwoon bites back a curse. "Geng, I literally feel the chill of evil. Someone's cursed an area."

"Up ahead, Jongwoon," Han Geng whispers. "There's a weird light."

Said light is a watery blue-green, as if underwater. Jongwoon swallows hard.

"Let's go," he decides, not wanting to seem weak. Han Geng, however, has no such pride now.

"I don't want to die, Woonie," he pleads. "Please, let's go back."

"I-it's not like it's a, a spirit... or anything..." Jongwoon quakes, stepping forward. "Come on, Hannie, just a quick look."

In the end, Han Geng's curiosity got the better of him, and they creep forward. Jongwoon's watch shows 12:45.

"Fifteen minutes," Han Geng says. "Only fifteen minutes."

As they approach the light, Jongwoon's head starts hurting. He's always been a bit more sensitive to these things than Han Geng, but usually not by much.

"My head hurts," he tells Han Geng. Han Geng looks at him sharply.

"We're not going, then," he decides, pulling Jongwoon away. "Let's go."

Still, Jongwoon cannot help but look back at the eerie light.

Two days later, he returns alone. This time, he arrives at 11:30 pm. As expected, the light has not yet appeared.

Jongwoon tamps down his impatience and waits, hiding behind a bush. Finally, at precisely 12:00, an odd green light flashes into being, followed by a shrieking laugh.

The hair on the back of his neck stands up, because that laugh was not human. It wasn't even animalistic; it was something otherworldly.

Unbidden, Jongwoon is attracted to it. Slowly, he stands up and begins to move towards the light.

A hand reaches out from behind and grabs his arm, jerking him to the ground. "Are you ing kidding me??"

Jongwoon nearly screams. "Han Geng?" he hisses angrily. "I thought you were afraid of this ?"

Han Geng glares at him. "I can't let you die alone. God, I'm more afraid of you dying than anything else..."

He trails off, turning his gaze to the side. It's like a blow to Jongwoon's heart.

"You... you could have told me," he whispers. "I wouldn't have come then."

Han Geng sighs. "No, you would have. I know you."

He refuses to say anymore, and Jongwoon swallows his apology.

"I also know the light," Han Geng starts again, softly. "It's a witchlight. They're very rare and only appear in places of evil. Spiritual people are... often attracted to them."

Jongwoon in a breath. "You knew," he says, trembling. "But why didn't you just tell me?"

"It wouldn't have worked," Han Geng replies tiredly. "I know. One of my friends once, before I met you, Choi Siwon, he died. He thought it was God, and he promised me that he wouldn't go, but he did. He couldn't stand the temptation."

Tears escape Han Geng's eyes. Han Geng, who never cries, is crying. Jongwoon buries his face in his hands.

"I'm sorry," Han Geng whispers, agonized. "I-if I had known that there was one here, I never would have made that bet."

"No, it's my fault," Jongwoon immediately counters. He stops; how exactly is it his fault? It's not; he replied out of habit, used to arguing with his best friend, taking the blame for himself.

Han Geng shakes his head. "Just let me be the guilty one this once. It'll be on me." He attempts a smile, but Jongwoon is in no mood to feel happy.

"Geng," he sighs, standing up. "I suggest... we run."

Han Geng, having been on enough adventures, knows exactly what has happened. He scrambles up, grabs Jongwoon's hand, and sprints.

Behind them, the ball of light has slowly but surely drifted towards them.

Seeing the two run, it bobs in place twice, then zooms away, following them.

Something wicked, indeed, this way comes.