[1/3]

FWB: Friends With Boyfriends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] what you resist, persists [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Irene loves her boyfriend. She can't imagine herself falling for someone else.

That is until she meets her insanely hot coworker who happens to be her boyfriend's friend's girlfriend. Complicated, isn't it? Well basically, their connections make it difficult for Irene to simply ignore her existence.

Irene thinks it's simply a 'fangirl love for Beyonce' kinda thing, but as her eyes remain on Seulgi a second longer than yesterday, she realizes it isn't that hard to decipher. She finds her hot, moreover... the girl occupies her mind quite often. She doesn't like it. It doesn't feel right.

It took only one night for Irene to realize that even though it doesn't feel right, it definitely doesn't feel wrong either.

"Come on, Irene~ Let's dance!" Drunken Seulgi spoke in a high-pitched voice, hopping up and down while each of her hands took one of Irene's. The sober friend of hers rolled her eyes and pulled her down, trying to tone down her activeness.

"Seulgi, calm down, will you?" She hissed, turning red from the stares she was receiving at the said formal business ball.

"I won't until you dance with me!" She exclaimed like a child. Irene wanted to facepalm herself, but her hands were still in Seulgi's own sweaty ones. She grimaced, her nose wrinkling in annoyance, "Alright, fine. Just stop being so rowdy, okay?"

Seulgi, with her head still tilted back in drunkenness, nodded not once, but thrice, her smile reaching her eyes. She dragged Irene to the dance floor without another word, bumping into a few business companions who fortunately did not seem to care.

Irene sighed and mentally noted never to give Seulgi alcohol at another party. To her surprise, the music changed the moment they stood in the middle of the floor. The song, "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis came on and the two girls were at a loss of what to do. Before she even knew it, Seulgi had let go of her hands and placed them behind her neck. Subsequently, the drunk girl wrapped her own arms around Irene's waist. She smiled silently and in Irene's vision, she seemed to be sober for a second until she started to laugh again.

"Why am I slow-dancing with you, again?" She asked as if she realized it just now. Irene bit back a smile and shrugged nonchalantly.

"I don't know. I don't mind, though." She replied seriously. Seulgi gave her a look and shook her head with a small smile, "This wasn't my intention..." She whimpered, obviously still not conscious. She dropped her head into Irene's collarbone and sighed. Irene felt chills down her spine as Seulgi's warm breath tickled her skin.

"...at all. I can't help it, Irene."

Can't help, falling in love...

Irene's eyes slowly wandered down to the girl who just collapsed on her. 

...with you.

Her breath hitched. It scared her... the way the song just matched the moment perfectly. At that moment, Irene wanted to know if everything was all just a coincidence. 

~~~

Irene had no idea where Kai wounded up after that party, but it didn't concern her one bit. She could take care of Seulgi; it was no big deal. What concerned her was why she had to be the one doing this. It was Kai's responsibility to take care of her. After all, he is her boyfriend.

So where was he now?

The sober girl huffed and struggled her way to the elevator, dragging Seulgi like some dead body. What made the situation worse was that the dumb bear would not stop giggling, nuzzling her nose against Irene's elbow. For a charismatic and serious business woman, Irene did not expect her to be a touchy child when drunk.

Irene no longer tried to get Seulgi to stand straight or even to shut up. She just gave the two other people in the elevator sorry looks of embarrassment.

"7th floor" the elevator announced. Irene mentally thanked the heavens that they had finally reached their floor. She took Seulgi's arm and placed it on her shoulder again, supporting her every step of the way to their room.

"Hey, Irene," Seulgi spoke hazily. "Mhm?" Irene asked back, simultaneously twisting the door knob with much difficulty. As she kicked the door closed behind her, Seulgi smiled with her eyes closed.

"...do you know that I'm so happy I met Kai?"

Irene frowned. She didn't even try to hide her expression anymore since Seulgi couldn't see her. She placed the drunk girl on the clean twin sized bed and was finally capable of exhaling.

"Why?" She couldn't help asking.

"Because!" Seulgi exclaimed. Yup, definitely drunk, Irene concluded for the umpteenth time.

"...He's the best boyfriend. He's good at dancing, he's sweet, he's smart... rich, everything you'd look for in a guy..." She rambled on. Irene tried her best to shake off the bitter feelings in her chest, but it wasn't like she could do anything about it.

"...but... it's different now." Seulgi continued, slowly opening her eyes to meet Irene's own. Irene sat at the edge of the bed, slightly facing Seulgi and the wall at the same time. Seulgi lies on the bed, staring at Irene. Something in her eyes disproved the fact that she was drunk. She seemed sober now, looking deeply into the older girl's own pair.

"I'm happy that I met him because through him... I met you."

Irene's heart skipped a beat. It was beyond her control. She swallowed hard and avoided Seulgi's eyes. Everything felt so wrong. She knew exactly what Seulgi meant and that itself scared her.

"You're just drunk. You don't know what you're saying." Irene spoke seriously. After a few seconds, she finally stood up to leave, but Seulgi held her back by the wrist, "Please don't leave." She softly spoke, almost like a whisper. 

"Stay by my side... just for tonight."

 

Irene doesn't know what happened next. She planned to just lie beside Seulgi until the latter fell asleep and leave, but somehow... she fell asleep first, her head on Seulgi's shoulder. The drunk girl stayed up, later than she thought. She originally thought she was the unconscious one, but the sober girl's exhaustion was no match for her haziness. She took advantage of the situation and stared at Irene longer than usual. Her eyes slowly wandered down to her lips and she felt herself falling into deeper trouble.

"Forgive me, Irene."

Seulgi leaned her own head on Irene's head and sighed heavily, breathing out all of the kept burdens in her heart, "Forgive me for falling for you."

~~~

Seulgi remembers the first day she met Irene. In fact, that day happened to be the same day she celebrated her first anniversary with Kai. She remembers slapping Irene across the face after mistaking her for Kai's side chick. Until now, she still chuckles at the irony of the whole situation. 

I mean, if you were Seulgi, you would also feel intimidated by Irene's beauty. The girl was drop-dead gorgeous. The way she smiled at guys almost gave the wrong impression that she was flirting with them. Her smile was just that pretty.

Even when Seulgi had realized she had slapped a completely innocent girl, Irene's angry eyes looked angelic. 

"I-I'm so sorry..." Seulgi caressed Irene's cheek, oblivious of how she took a step closer to the flushed girl. Irene looked into her eyes and there was something off about the whole situation.

That's how it all started.

 

Now back to the earlier scene, two years later, Seulgi is lying on the bed with Irene spooning her. The dumb bear has lost track of how long she has been going back on the memory lane. Irene's arms were wrapped around her waist and it has never felt so perfect there. They fit each other perfectly.

As she turned around carefully, not wanting to wake her up, Seulgi observed her silently. She has known it all along. Those feelings that refused to go, only got stronger as she tried to hide and ignore them. Those feelings never went away.

She tucked a piece of hair behind Irene's ear and smiled softly.

Irene's eyelids went up and they instantly landed in Seulgi's brown orbs.

At that moment, Irene didn't question why Seulgi was still awake or why she was even staring into her eyes... all she knew was that she wanted to stay in this moment forever.

"Please tell me I'm not the only one..." Irene whispered, her eyes broken in devastation. Seulgi bit her lip and closed her eyes, taking Irene's face into her chest without replying. Irene shook her head, crying softly. "This is so wrong..." She spoke in a muffling cry.

Seulgi nodded, trying to ignore the watering of her eyes.

"It is wrong. This isn't love." Seulgi agreed, unsure of her own heart.

Irene slowly pulled away and her eyes seemed blank for a second. They looked lost, confused, bewildered... anything but relieved. She looked troubled as she is already. She had lost all the life in her and it killed her inside. She was the first to give up, but somehow... she felt hopeless seeing Seulgi agree along with her. All she wanted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter