A Song of the Wind

A Song of the Wind

Title: A Song of the Wind

Pairing: Sehun/ Luhan

Genre: peterpan!au ; romance; angst

Rating: PG

Author: erineon

Warnings: slight!mentions of child abuse

Summary: Sehun  had always wondered what it would be like to live for a purpose. He found that purpose with Luhan , the who boy was sitting near the windowsill on that one fine, Spring day.

WC:14.8k w



 

“We’re both looking at the same moon, in the same world.

We’re connected to reality by the same line.

All I have to do is quietly draw it towards me.”

Haruki Murakami


 








 

Darkness has fallen all over the city. The owls hoot from their place in the trees. Children are tucked within the confines of their soft downy beds, dreaming of possibilities, of endless possibilities that their imaginations can conjure. Throughout the orphanage, nothing stirs; all is quiet, only soft snores, and barely noticeable murmurs. As if all at once, sleep has taken them all.



 

Except in one room.



 

A boy is reciting stories to his friends. Young innocent angels, who know nothing of the world outside their windows, grab a hold of their stuffed animals snuggling them into their chests. Their eyes are barely open, but they listen intently to the mild vibrato of his voice, occasionally tightening their grasp around their fuzzy companion



 

They drift back and forth between realms of dreams and reality, barely listening to the story he tells them. A small smile graces the storyteller's lips as he notices that his audience will soon pass out, but he continues to tell them about the story about a boy who didn’t want to grow up: the story about the boy who flies around the night sky and seeks for adventure.



 

The storyteller is Sehun, his name is Oh Sehun, a boy with a broken heart, who tries to mend it back together by himself.



 

The stories he’s heard at another orphanage many years ago, wander back into his mind till this day. Sehun’s not like all the other children who live in this orphanage. No, he is far from it. Abandoned at the young age of 3, he’s been jumping foster family after foster family, and even orphanages. If you ask Sehun what a home is like he’ll tell you a home doesn’t exist.



 

Sehun personally likes the orphanages better; it makes him feel a bit less lonely. A wide variety of ages filter through the orphanage, from newly born children who were given away by incapable young mothers to twenty year old who stay because there’s no other place to go. It’s their only safe haven, since they only have themselves.



 

As young as Sehun is, he had to give up the soft, colorful memories of a childhood, for they were as nonexistent as the love he exudes. He had to give up playing catch with his dad, and being read stories before he goes to bed by his mom.



 

Words of praise, encouragement, and luck were never told to him. Soft freshly baked bread, or home cooked meals never once greeted him when he came home from school. He doesn’t know how it feels to have a mother’s hug made you feel safer, nor felt how it would be like for a father’s palm to ruffle your hair and say “Good Job Sport! I’m proud of you.”



 

At a young age, Sehun learns that the world is cruel, rain clouds follow your every step, longing is a permanent feeling, and love is lost. But somewhere deep down, Sehun believes he can’t be saved anymore. Sehun had to grow up quickly to learn that the world isn’t filled with rainbows and the sun doesn’t always shine. Life is filled with trial and error, but the burden of carrying it by himself is the worst.




 

At 16, Sehun starts to lost hope in himself, in the world, and most importantly, in humanity. How hard is it to mend an already broken heart, you ask? It’s like trying to fix a glass vase, whose pieces have shattered off into a million tiny pieces, by hand, without getting your fingers or your hands cut.




 

_




 

Sehun tells the children in the orphanage stories about a boy named Luhan, whose eyes crinkled up like the crescent moons the flies beneath. Luhan, who fought with pirates, in the vast oceans of Fiorsei and always succeeded. Luhan who hunted with lost boys, and befriended the native fairies and mermaids that wanted nothing more than to dress him up in seashells, and decorate his hair with colorful, exotic starfishes.



 

Every day would be a new adventure for Luhan. He was the strongest and the most fearless of all Fiorsei and.Sehun wants to be like Luhan. He wants to be someone who can be known for their actions and not their past, someone who can forget about the past, and live on.



 

Most importantly Sehun wants to fly: escaping this harsh reality of not being love or wanted. He wants to leave the harsh fact that he can’t save himself from possibilities unknown. He’s scared of his own weakness. Maybe escaping this—whatever reason he’s on this planet-- for a little while would solve everything.



 

Sehun hopes, with the slightest bit he has, that somewhere Luhan is listening, and hearing his desperate plea of ‘come and help me.” Sehun believes. He believes in Luhan: the boy who doesn't know how to grow up. Maybe if Luhan is just a lie of the people who told him the story, then there’s a tinge of truth embedded within them.


 

It’s a big risk to trust in something unknown, but with the help of Luhan, maybe, Sehun will have the strength to look into the dark tunnel, and see light at the other end. He’ll look through that dark tunnel, and give him some kind of hope, that all is not lost.


 

Sehun would pray to the gods up high for someone that’ll be there to keep him company when everything else has failed him. Maybe, just maybe, it’s Luhan that’ll come and save him from himself.



 

_



 

Sehun believes that Luhan was by his windowsill, listening to him that night he prayed up to the high heavens, with his choked up voice.


 

-




 

On a fine summer’s night, when the remnants of a hot day still linger on the concrete cement sidewalks radiate through the night air, Sehun sits down near his windowsill, looking up at the heavens above him. Thinking of what if’s of his banal life. He thinks it’s nice to dream, but sometimes dreams are just that, a dream. Little unattainable things that somehow give people the drive to see a better day.


 

Sighing, Sehun brushes the hair away from his face, (thinking) of the endless possibilities to running away from this wretched place. There’s nothing wrong with the other children here, they’re the only ones that keep him from leaving. He wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for the little angels that pester him about the stories he tells them nightly.


 

The soft breeze coaxes him to smile. Oh how he wishes that sometimes, peace came this naturally; how there shouldn’t be anything to be hiding away from(add how he jolted from pain). The bruise on Sehun’s arm stings him: the purple-ish color slightly fading away. It brings back sorrowful memories of last night, when his caretaker swatted a bamboo stick to his bicep.

 

It wasn’t his fault to begin with, one of the children accidently destroyed the fine china that was nestled in the cabinets. He didn’t want to see someone so young get hit, he, instead, offered himself up to be reprimanded.


 

Sehun looks out the window again, contemplating about what he should do. He doesn’t wish to be here, he craves for never ending adventures. Sehun craves for the wind to his hair while he’s soaring above the city of Seoul. He wants to see how it feels to be free, to be happy, to just be Sehun.



 

His ears perk up from the sound he hears in the distance. A sound of laughter maybe? But it was too soft to hear. Sehun shakes his head in disbelief. He thinks it was probably just the rough breeze playing with him.


 

He hears it again, the laugh sounds suddenly louder, and much, much closer. He relates the sound to bells chiming, and unrestricted careless behavior. Sehun struggles to hear more. His curiosity is piqued. Another laugh rings, and a sudden gush of hot air blows in his ear.


 

He stiffens for a moment, contemplating if he should run away and duck into his bed covers and pretend this is all a dream, or face the music and see who the hell would blow into his ear at midnight. He chooses the latter. Sehun slowly turns his head, he is greeted with a smiling face of a young boy squatting next to him.


 

Locking eyes with this stranger on his window sill, Sehun realizes that he doesn’t seem that much older than him. “Hi there!” the stranger said. Such beauty, Sehun thought. His voice matched his laugh, it was light, unrestricted, and had a certain unique tone.


 

The white short sleeve tunic he’s wearing looks too big on him, the hat perch at the top of his head was slipping off. The belt around his waist was the only hope that his ensemble wouldn’t fall apart and leave him . Sehun gives him a once over and concludes that this boy needs to eat more.



 

Sehun looks at the boy in front of him again. He screams at the realization that there’s an unidentified person talking to him on his windowsill. Sehun slowly backs away from the intruder standing tall and proud at the base of the window.



 

“Y- you- you.” Sehun stutters out. “Who are you and what are you doing here? How did you even manage to climb up here?” Sehun shrieks out, as he makes his way to the bed, hoping to find some sort weapon to protect himself. Grabbing the closest item to him, a pillow, he shields himself.


 

The young boy flew into Sehun’s room and laid down on his bed, looking way too comfortable for Sehun’s liking. He looks around and sees that the room was barren; nothing occupied much of it except a large desk tucked away in a corner, and the bed he laid on. Smiling, he turns to Sehun, stands up from his place on the bed and walks closer to the boy shielding himself with a pillow.



 

Sehun eyes the stranger approaching him with a large smile. “St-stay back! I’m warning you!” But the stranger is unfazed by Sehun’s empty words. The stranger stops short in front of him. His brown eyes boring into his own. If he were to compare this boy to an animal, his speed and grace would be of a cheetah, but his own physical appearance would a bunny.

 

“I’ve heard about the stories you’ve told about me.” He sing songs as he walks closer to Sehun. A slight glimmer appears in his eyes. No words leave Sehun’s mouth. He’s stuck in a trance. His eyes roaming all over his body, from the tips of his brown colored moccasins to top of his tousled long strawberry blonde hair, Sehun was captivated.


 

The stranger laughs, and by god, it sounds like the soft rustle of the spring breeze ringing the wind chimes in the afternoon. How does perfect exist in a world where hatred and love coincide each other. Sehun brings his hand up and cups his cheeks. They were soft like satin, and warm like freshly baked breadsticks.


 

“What’s your name?” Sehun manages to croak out despite his initial terror.


 

How do you forget when you say it every night?” Cheeky and mischievous Sehun thinks.


 

Sehun bores his eyes right back at the crescent es. They seem familiar, but it can’t be possible. He’s seen these before in a distance memory, or was it a dream? His thumbs rub the apples of the stranger’s cheeks. A rush of crimson stains them soon after.


 

“Are you perhaps Luhan?” He says in a soft whisper, almost too hard to hear.


 

“Yes, yes I am.” Luhan says, proudly as he straightens out his back, and turns away from Sehun’s palm.


 

“I knew you existed.” His voice laced with wonder and awe, echoes throughout the near empty room.


 

He watches Luhan’s retreating back in curiosity, wondering where he would go, but Luhan only returns to his bed to sit at the edge. With one finger he beckons Sehun to come over. Sehun cautiously walks over to him, his eyes never leaving the intruder.


 

Luhan puffs out his cheeks, and his eyebrows scrunch up at the middle creating an ‘x’. He looks puzzled, as if there’s an ongoing conflict within him. Sehun stares at him, wondering how a person, or an ethereal being, can create such vivid facial expression. He’s left baffled, wondering if he can make those expressions himself.


 

A warm hand rests on Sehun’s knee. Looking up toward the owner, he realizes that Luhan doesn’t look that much older than him. Besides his tattered clothing, and unruly hair, there’s a teenage boy looking just as lost as him.

“On some nights, when you window is wide open, I listen to your stories, it sort of fills in this empty void in my heart you know? Sometimes, I just listen for the fun of it. I love the way your voice sounds, husky yet soft. Unique.”


 

Luhan turns his gaze down to where his palm is on Sehun’s knee. He squeezes it. Suddenly, Sehun’s hand covers his own, scorching hot, he’s been burned, but doesn’t take a chance to move his hand away from the source.


 

The summer breeze bellows through the windows, moving the curtains that were casted aside. The moonlight streams in too, illuminating the once dark room. Sehun could fully see how Luhan never lost the blush from his cheeks. Such an honest person with sincere feelings, he thought. He keeps his gaze locked on Luhan’s face, while Luhan is turned downwards.


 

“I’m glad you like them.” Sehun says above a whisper.



 

“I heard you…that time.” Sehun’s face burns. Maybe there is someone up there who’s willing to show him that he’s not alone. That’s all he needed to hear. That’s all Sehun needed to hear.


 

Warm tears spill from the corners of Sehun’s eyes. They call onto their conjoined hands. Luhan wonders what’s going on as he whips his hear up and sees Sehun covering his face with his free palm. He reaches up and whips the stray tears that made his onto his jawline.

Luhan comes closer to Sehun, he kneels right beside him. Luhan doesn’t know what to do, but for now he believes that wrapping his arms around Sehun would comfort him; so he does. Sehun falls apart in Luhan’s arms. Years of pain, anger, and bottled up frustrations are emptied out.

 

“Come with me, forget about the world. And forget about them.” Luhan murmurs into Sehun’s soft locks. He buries his face deeper into Sehun’s hair, repeating the same words over and over again.


 

“Forget them, Sehun. Forget those who hurt you and left you behind. Come with me where you have to never ever worry about those things again.”


 

“Never is an awfully long time.” his word muffle into Luhan’s tunic. Luhan can feel the tears seeping through his shirt. The thoughts of pain and anguish runs through his mind. When was the last time he cried out of pain and lost. Seeing Sehun in pain stirs up something that should have been left untouched within Luhan.


 

Luhan runs his hand up and down the expanse of Sehun’s back trying to calm him down. The wind was blowing harder, and the curtains were dancing along with the breeze. He scrunches up his face in distaste: nothing like this has happened to him before, he doesn't know how to console Sehun.


 

So he does what he believes will help calm him down.


 

Luhan moves directly in front of Sehun. He can’t help but gaze into his eyes. Bright brown damp eyes, are staring back at him, as if questioning his moves silently. They say that the eyes are windows to someone’s soul. Luhan can see the broken pieces scattered everywhere. There’s this urge within him that wants to piece it back together again.



 

He doesn’t know how to calm a person down, let alone console someone who’s been pouring out their hearts, and left wide open. Luhan leans in gradually. Keeping his eyes trained on Sehun, he waits for any sign of displeasure. He receives nothing a shocked expression, as he inches closer to Sehun’s face.


 

Once the tip of his nose collides with Sehun’s, Luhan lets his eyes drift to a close. He shakes his head left and right continuously rubbing it. Sehun sits there petrified, wondering why Luhan’s rubbing his nose against his,


 

Luhan starts to worry when Sehun doesn’t return the action. He thought he was doing it right, that he was actually soothing Sehun down. Luhan sits backs on his heels and looks at Sehun with worry evident in his eyes.



 

“What’s wrong, Sehun? Do you not like my signs of affection?” Luhan says, tilting his head to the side.



 

“ No, no it’s not that!” Sehun says, hurriedly. “You were trying to calm me down?” Confused, Sehun brings up his hand to scratch the back of his nape. “Its not like i didn’t not like it, it felt weird though how you just started rubbing your nose against mine.”


 

“But people back on Fiorsei do that when they want to express feelings. Do you need to calm down more, Sehun?” He doesn't Let Sehun answer before Luhan leans forward again. This time he let’s his arms tangle around Sehun’s midsection, and his head rest on his sternum. From this position, Luhan can hear the steady beating of Sehun’s heart.


 

Sehun stiffens in Luhan’s arms. For a moment Luhan stops. When he feels Sehun shoving him off gently, he uses all his might to tighten his arms, and burrows his head deeper.


 

When Luhan didn’t feel Sehun struggling against him, he gently closes his eyes, and basks in the surrounding heat. Luhan arranges himself on Sehun’s criss crossed legs, his fingers weaving through Sehun’s hair. When Luhan feels that Sehun isn’t going to shove him away anymore, a contented sigh heaves out.


 

“Leave with me, and you’ll never experience pain like that again.” His face is close enough for Sehun to feel the hot breath tickling his cheek.


 

“You won’t leave me will you?” Sehun closes his eyes, and lets himself go. There’s no use in resisting, he should have learned that after three pushes. Rather, Luhan feels himself getting pulled closer to the boy. The arms around his waist tightening.


 

“I wouldn’t even if I wanted to. Let me show you what you’ve been missing out on. What true happiness is, and how it’s not measured in cups.”


 

“Thank you.” Sehun says.


 

“For what?” Luhan leans back, and gives Sehun a questioning gaze.


 

“For coming to my rescue.”


 

Luhan’s face brightens up. He unwinds himself from Sehun’s grasp, smoothing out his clothes thoughtfully once he’s completely off the bed and Sehun’s lap.


 

Sehun looks at him dazed, already missing the loss of heat from his touch. Luhan’s tiny hands reach out to take a hold of Sehun’s. He leads him off the bed, but alas Sehun stumbles on his own two feet, almost falling on Luhan in the process.


 

“Where are we going?”


 

“To my world.” Luhan says breathlessly. A hint of awe, and pride mixed within his words.


 

Luhan directs the dumbfounded Sehun towards windowsill, and maneuvers his head so it’s directed to the moon. With one hand, he points to the right. Two bright stars twinkle in the distance, Sehun’s noticed them before, but didn’t know what to make of it.


 

“Do you see those stars? If we fly there till the sun peeks over the horizon, we’ll be in Fiorsei. And there,” Luhan reaches down and interlaces his hands and fingers. Sehun glances down before giving his full attention. His eyes were wide and glassy, giving him an unspoken promise of what starts out as love.


 

“You won’t be alone anymore.” Sehun gives him a small quirk of the lips. But he was very sincere.


 

“I know I won’t be as long as you’re holding my hand throughout everything.” Sehun mumbles sheepishly.


 

“We both know I won’t be letting go anytime soon.”


 

“I like how that sounds.”


 

“Good, because I can’t let you go while we’re flying.” Luhan pulls out a small bottle, of a golden substance. Luhan uncaps the bottle, and the little golden flakes rush out. They twirl around Luhan and Sehun like a tornado, soon his feet started to lift off the ground.


 

Sehun started to toss and tumble all over the place. Panic washed over his mind. Looking all over the room, he searched for something that would keep him down to earth, and will most likely not defy gravity with him.


 

But soon he started to get a hang of flying. He sees Luhan laughing without a care in the world, from the corner of his eye. He attempts to fly forward to the boy who is hunched over his knees. He loses his balance a bit, then goes forward, making Luhan waver.


 

“What was that for?” Luhan shouts, albeit playfully. Sehun sticks his tongue out in retaliation.


 

“For laughing at an inexperienced flyer. When are we going?”


 

Luhan stands up, lets the golden dust around him aviate him from the ground. Sehun watches him fly to the open window. On the window sill, Luhan turns around and offers his hand to Sehun.


 

“Take my hand, and don’t let go.” Uncertainty paints itself across Sehun’s face as he takes a few hesitant steps forward. He knows if he takes Luhan’s hand, there wouldn’t be a home to come back to. Wait. he thinks. This was never a home to begin with.



 

Puffing his chest out, he continues his strides toward Luhan. The once hesitant steps turned into confident strides. There’s nothing he should be worried about when he leaves. They’re just going to miss one person; there are already a lot of children in this place. They won’t worry if Sehun is there of not. They would be glad if Sehun’s gone, and that’s the harsh truth.



 

Sehun takes the proffered hand, and interlaces their fingers together. Luhan squeezes his hand, and gives him a reassuring smile. Sehun offers him a little, barely noticeable smile of his own.


 

“There’s nothing to be afraid of when I’m here okay? You don’t have to worry about anything like this ever again.” Luhan says as he turns his head back toward the window.

“Remember, no matter what happens don’t let go of my hand. Okay, Sehun?”


 

“I understand.” Sehun squares his shoulders, and takes oe deep breath before releasing it slowly. “I’m ready.”


 

“Keep your eyes on me; don’t look at the ground until you’re ready.” Slowly, they inch of the ground. High and high as every second passes. True to his word, Sehun’s eyes never left Luhan’s. There is something in his eyes that make everything less....scary. Is this how it feels to let yourself go? Sehun thinks.


 

Soon they’re out the window and into the lamp lit lights of the suburban city. Flying away from the houses that look like tiny pebbles in the distance. Soaring over the forest that sometimes, Sehun likes to explore by himself whenever he wants to have another escape.


 

Luhan’s flying backwards, since he’s holding both of Sehun’s hands, coaxing him to get used to the flight first before he’ll let go of one. Sehun sees the smile on Luhan’s face; it’s bright, just like the moon, and the sun that greets the world hello. Yes, Sehun thinks, this is how it feels to be happy.



 

“I’m going to let go of one hand, so I can direct us to the right place.” Luhan shouts out. “Are you ready?”


 

Sehun nods his head, afraid that an insect might fly into his mouth because of the way they’re increasing their flight speed. There’s a knot in his stomach, a feeling of uncertainty- or just plain nervousness- as he feels Luhan let go of his left hand. The loud thundering of his heart, obscures his hearing. And he’s thankful for that, so he doesn’t have to hear the wind passing by his ears, reminding him how this is real and it’s very much happening.


 

“Full speed ahead. To Fiorsei we go!” Luhan screams out, and Sehun sees waves of happiness exuding out of him.



 

They breeze pass more houses, going closer to the moon. Sehun wonders if Fiorsei is on a cloud, just like Heaven is. Luhan commands him to close his eyes, and he does. He hears the rushing of object, he feels the clouds on his face. For a moment, he thinks that the moon’s lights are blinding him. The impact of the light obscuring his sight, even if his eyes are closed.



 

Sehun literally feels the acceleration. his cheeks are pulling back, his teeth are exposed. He tightens the grip he has on Luhan’s hand. For extra safety precautions, he brings his other hand up, and grabs a hold of his wrist. Because at this speed, if he doesn’t hold on tight enough, he’s sure that he’ll fly away.


 

-


 

Sehun doesn’t remember how he arrived there, but pretty he’s sure once they arrived, he fell into the hands of sleep. There’s warmth emanating from a source behind him, and it feels good. He’s never felt thing kind of warmth before. it feels much more different than the comfort of a blanket.


 

Groaning, he shifts to the side where the heat his coming from, and tries to stretch out the kinks in his body. With eyes still closed, he scoots closer, practically cuddling into the warmth. That is, until, the warmth groans too.


 

Perplexed, he roams his hands all over the source. Feeling soft skin,and skin, and oh is that a tummy? There’s a faint whisper of stop sehun i’m ticklish, and that’s when Sehun forces his eyes open.



 

He’s met with the face of an angel. No, it’s just Luhan. But Sehun thinks that he might as well just be one of Heaven’s own. Luhan’s mouth was slightly agape, little pink tongue poking out from the corner. Sehun could see the something glistening from the corner of his mouth.


 

Luhan’s hot breath fans over his face, and for the first time in Sehun’s life, he thinks someone other than the children are cute. He watches as Luhan stirs awake, carefully stretching his arms above his head. It’s amusing how he stays in that position for a while before running his small hand over his face, to get rid of sleep.


 

He opens his eyes, and stares up at the ceiling of their little hut. Sehun notices how his are are as unfocused as he stares up. Hearing Sehun’s soft giggle, Luhan faces him, with a bright smile plastered across his face.


 

“Good morning, Sehun. You fell asleep as soon as we came home.”


 

Home. Sehun thinks. This is his new home now. There’s a tickle inside him, and it feels good for once he’s happy that he has a place to call home.


 

“Yeah, I was…pretty tired after everything that happened last night.”


 

A yawn escaped Luhan’s lips, he tries to cover it with the back of his hand. Sehun laughs and Luhan pouts at him.

 

“Can I go back to sleep Sehun?” Luhan asks, as his eyes slowly drift back to a close.


 

“You don’t have to ask me? You can just go to sleep?” Luhan raises the blanket that lays splayed on his hip, up to his neck. Sehun watches as he snuggles into the soft comforter.


 

“But I’m being a bad host. I’m supposed to show you around the island and bring to to the mermaids.” Luhan stifles another yawn. “I promise to make it up later when I wake up again, Sehun.”


 

Sehun ruffles Luhan’s hair: there’s something about him that reminds him of the children back in the orphanage. Maybe it’s the way Luhan seems innocent. And bright. “Okay, until you wake up then.”



 

-


 

The next time Luhan wakes up, it’s as if the morning sun never left. Although it seemed like midday already, Sehun couldn’t tell, he had no watch. With the heel of his palm, Luhan pushes the sleep out of his eyes for real this time.


 

He walks over to Sehun who’s sitting near outside on a wicker chair, gently rocking himself back and forth. Luhan makes it a plan to surprise him, but curses, Sehun just has to turn around just as he was about to approach him.


 

Luhan nestles into the other wicker rocking chair besides him, and looks out at the scene in front of them. Calm rushing ocean waves hugging the shoreline, and large palm trees providing most of the beach with shade.


 

“It’s beautiful here.” Sehun shifts on the chair, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, smiling to himself as he listens to the world around him. Luhan slides back into his own chair, his feet barely touching the ground. Reveling in the nice afternoon atmosphere.


 

“Yeah it is. Are you hungry? I think i still have some eggs I procured from the wild chickens that like to hang out in the back, or do you want some fruits instead.”


 

“I’ll be fine with anything. I ate that thing that looks like a banana though.”


 

“So later on, when the sun starts to sink down into the horizon, we’ll go visit my mermaid big sisters. They’re really kind!” Luhan says all too cheerily rocking his chair back and forth.


 

“Mermaids exist?” Sehun says disbelievingly. He turns his head over to Luhan expectantly


 

“That’s offending to my self-proclaimed sisters, you can’t just say that! If they heard you, you’d get splashed on!”



 

Sehun laughs, and Luhan thinks it’s a nice sound. It’s different from his own, and from the other ones that he’s heard his whole life. After the sudden outburst, Sehun settles back into his seat, sorta slouching down on it too.


 

“I just never seen any back where I live. Don’t tell me this place has talking crabs too.”


 

“No we don’t, or else I’d feel bad for eating them.” Luhan stands up from his place on the chair. He walks down the steps that lead to the beach. Sehun just watches him as he goes down. Luhan stops for a moment, wondering why there isn’t someone following him. He turns around and beckons Sehun to go over.


 

“Are you just going to sit there all day long?” Luhan shouts. “I thought I specifically told you that I’m showing you around the place! We’ll be back in time to meet my mermaid sisters.” From his place, Sehun could see the bright smile Luhan is sending his way. Today, he’s going to make sure, it’s going to be something worth remembering.


 

Sehun jogs down the little steps, and rushes over to Luhan. Warm sand fills the spaces between his toes. He finds it a feat to run over to him, since it’s not a stable ground. With every step he his feet is met with little particles that make it hard to walk.


 

"I've never seen the ocean side like this this before.” Sehun says as he gets closer to Luhan.


 

His feet dig in the sand feeling the warm texture. The sun glares down at them, as the walk along the shoreline. Walking was hard, walking fast was even harder, since his feet diving into the sand with every step. “I only saw beaches like these in magazines, and calendars.”


 

Luhan clasps an arm around Sehun’s shoulders as he directs him away from the hugging waves and into the vibrant colorful forest.


 

“I’ll show you places that you think only your mind can conjure then.”


 

-




 

Vibrant colors obscure their sights, as they walk throughout the tropical forest. It really is nothing that Sehun has seen before. He looks around in a state of awe, as he watches little birds fly from tree to tree, chirping as they go. Luhan says to close his eyes, and listen to the soft sounds that they make. They were different, he notes, as if they were singing a song to a loved one.


 

“What are they doing?” Sehun asks genuinely fascinated. “It sounds so beautiful.”


 

“They’re serenading each other.” Luhan thoughtfully says, he gives small quirk of the corner of his mouth before continuing. “It’s to show that they will only love each other, as a sign of devotion, you know.”


 

“To love only each other forever, huh. “ Sehun whispers to himself.


 

Trekking deeper, they encounter many phenomenon. Sehun didn’t know how to react to such things. It was too much for him to take, but nonetheless, he has a good experience learning more about the world beyond his window.


 

The pass by a majestic waterfall; sounds of flowing water rushing down into the lake, was simply peaceful. Surrounded by a canopy of trees, palms, protruding rocks and flowers, it was a secret oasis, and they were the only ones who knew the location. Sehun and Luhan smile at each other knowingly, within that silent communication it was understood that they should return to this place later on.


 

“I come to this place, when I just want to get away from everything, or when I want to hear, see, and smell the simplicities of the world unite together in perfect harmony..” Luhan says thoughtfully. He sits down on the green grass, facing towards the waterfall. With soft eyes still staring at the rippling water, he beckons Sehun over. “It’s peaceful here.”


 

Sunlight streams through the cracks between the overhead canopy, directly hitting the the clear water, and white skin Luhan possesses, making him seem ethereal. Sehun looks at him briefly before glancing away to look at what’s in front of him..


 

“Beautiful.” He says out loud, but not knowing whether he’s referring to the clear lake water glimmering under the sun, or the person next to him.


 

A soft sigh escapes Luhan’s lips as he lazily turns towards the boy next to him. “I know, it is isn’t it.”


 

“Yes. it’s flawless.” and Sehun smiles to himself, because he knows.



 

-



 

As the sun slowly makes it’s way down the sky, Luhan glances up, and remembers that he is supposed to bring Sehun over to his mermaid noonas once the sun sets. He glances over to Sehun, who’s playing with the little fairies that he just befriended.


 

“Sehun! Say bye to your little girlfriends, you’ll see them soon.” Luhan shouts out. Luhan doesn’t miss the pink color staining Sehun’s cheeks. The little fairies gather around Sehun, one by one, each giving him a tiny kiss on the cheek. Sehun doesn’t know how to react, but he can’t be mean and push them away, even though it’s too sudden for them to kiss him. Maybe it’s part of their custom.



 

Honestly, Luhan didn’t like the sight, but what can he do. All he wants to do is yank Sehun away from the fairies, and wipe down his cheek with a leaf soaked in ocean water. When the last fairy gives Sehun a kiss on the cheek, she also has the audacity to whisper in his ear.


 

He notices the way Sehun’s eye lighten up, and widen with mirth. Luhan kicks the nearest rock towards them. Sehun gives him a questioning gaze, and Luhan feigns innocence. The small fairy watches them intently, with a grin spread across her face. She turns back to Sehun expectantly.


 

“Yeah.” Sehun replies, and Luhan has never been so confused in his entire life, wondering what in the world they were whispering about.


 

Grumbling, Luhan marches over to them. He bows to the fairy, “I’ll be taking him away now. I still have so much to show him!”


 

Luhan grabs onto Sehun’s arm, dragging him away from the happy fairy who wishes them luck. Luck? Why would he need luck? Once he assumes that they’re far away from the fairies, he lets go of Sehun’s arm. Sehun looks at him, amused.


 

“They were really pretty.” Luhan grumbles a reply. Straining his ears, Sehun moves in closer. “Can we come back sometime later on? They were nice too.”


 

“Uhuh. yeah sure.” Was Luhan’s non-committal response.


 

“Where are we going now?” Sehun asks as they emerge from the shadows of the forest, they were back on the sandy grounds of the beach. Walking along side Luhan, Sehun looks at him curiously. Luhan struggles to keep his eyes on the path rather than having them on the person beside him.


 

“We’re going to meet some mermaids. I’m sure they’ll love you too.” Luhan hisses the last part.


 

“Mermaids?” Sehun’s eye brighten up at the sound of meeting mythical creatures that he’s believed to only exist in books, and fantasies.


 

“I thought we went over this, Sehun?”


 

“But really, mermaids.” Sehun’s voice laced with awe, as he stares off into the distance.


 

They walk along the shoreline, admiring the sound of lazy waves hugging the shore. Aimlessly walking, each settled into their own thoughts.


 

“Are we-”

 

“We’re here!” Luhan says, interrupting Sehun. “They’re really nice, and funny. I like talking to them the most. I call them my big sisters, but we’re not really related... in anyway.”


 

They arrive at a large lagoon. The sun set not long ago, and now the moon greet them hello, as they approach the sound of water being splashed around. Large rocks, sit around the lagoon. It was hidden behind ferns, and copious amounts of leaves, and palm trees the kiss the sky.


 

Three women whose scales glimmer under the bright light of moon, turn around and face their new visitors. Amused looks are shared between them. One with pink fins happily splashes the water, and the other two follow after. Sehun thinks he’s never seen such beautiful women before. This place is all sorts of magical.


 

“It’s Luhan! Look who’s actually here to visit his dear sisters.” The purple finned mermaid said.


 

“I know right. It looks like he brought over a boyfriend too.” Widening their eyes, Sehun and Luhan look away from each other, clearly embarrassed by the mermaids’ outburst.


 

“Awwh look at them.” One snickers. “He’s not denying it at all.”


 

“We- we’re not like that.” Sehun stutters out, he can feel the heat coursing through his body.


 

“Honey please, even if you both are not, you will be eventually.” The one with the blue fins smirks.


 

“Can you guys please stop embarrassing me?” Luhan bemoans, as he walks closer to the mermaids sitting on the lagoon bank.


 

“Su-” Before they utter another word, LUhan raises his hand up to silence them. Covering his face with his free hand, he gestures Sehun to pay attention.


 

“Sorry Sehun, that was really... yeah.” He mutters. Laughing at Luhan’s state of being, he shakes his head and flails his arms around.


 

“It’s really nothing. It’s pretty funny how they can make someone like you turn into nothing but an embarrassed child with a few teasing remarks.”


 

Luhan rolls his eyes, that was not what he wanted to hear from Sehun. “I like them already.”


 

“We like you too!” They yell out in unison.


 

“Since Luhan won’t introduce you to us, we’ll introduce ourselves!”


 

“Hello! I’m Tiffany.” Long black flowy hair, and pink scales, greet Sehun with a little wave of fingers.

 

“I’m Yoona!” A bright smile, blue scales, and similar long black hair, reaches out her hand to shake Sehun’s.


 

“My name is Taeyeon.” Her long golden hair illuminated so beautifully under the moon.


 

“Hey hey hey, you guys can’t start introductions without me!” A boy emerges from out of the cave. His hair pointing in every direction. His purple hair matched his purple scales. Sehun thinks he’s actually very pretty, just like Luhan.


 

“Do you think you can forget about Luhan’s amazing bestfriend? I’m hurt Luhan how do you not introduce me to this new boy friend of yours? Bestfriends tell each other everything!” Using his fins, he splashes water onto the unsuspecting Luhan’s face, but alas, Baekhyun miscalculated and covered his whole body. There was nothing left of Luhan that was dry.


 

“Baekhyun!” Luhan shouts as he trudges his way to the merman in the water. Everyone laughs at Luhan’s poor disposition. Even Sehun can’t help but snort at the little drops falling from his hair.


 

Luhan shakes his head from side to side, hoping that his hair would be saved.


 

“You’re all wet, and that seems really uncomfortable.”


 

“Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Baekhyun.” Luhan snarls. as he slowly takes off his tunic clinging to his body.


 

“Wait here, I might have something for you back in the cave.” Baekhyun turns and winks at the other three mermaids, and swims back from where he came from.


 

“Do you think he’s going to bring what I think he’s going to bring, Tiff?” Taeyeon says as she leans against the bank, with her elbows propped up beside her.


 

“Of course.” She giggles in response.


 

Sehun walks over to Luhan, he notices how petite he looks, but looks can be deceiving, for Luhan was one of the strongest people he’s ever seen. They watch as Baekhyun comes back, his eyes full of mischievousness. With hands behind his back, he’s hiding something from the two.


 

Baekhyun glides over the waters carelessly, before settling near Luhan’s feet.


 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t find your favorite color, but I know that peach suits your the most.”


 

On the ground was a pair of seashell bras, embroidered with lush green sea grass around the edges. It was pretty, but oh dear god, why.


 

“Why, are you so cruel to me, Baekhyun?” Luhan bemoans as he bends down to pick up the seashell bra off the ground.


 

“I didn’t want you to walk home with a wet shirt, although, I’m pretty sure, I have a grass skirt lying round in the cave too if you want to you know, change your pants.” Baekhyun snickers as he lives the hem Of Luhan’s pants up, examining the material. “Yes, I’ll go get it before you catch a cold!”


 

“Baekhyun! No!” Luhan shouts, but all his shouts were futile. Sehun claps his hand on to Luhan’s shoulder. Shockwaves course through the skin contact for both of them, but neither comment that it feels comfortable.


 

“It’s okay, no one’s going to see you while we walk home anyway.” Sehun tries to comfort Luhan more, gently rubbing circles onto his shoulder blade.


 

Luhan looks at Sehun with a look akin to a kicked puppy, bottom lip jutting out, and eyes wide and watery. “But I really don’t want to wear this. It ruins my masculinity.”


 

“You’re still manly to me even if you wear grass skirts, seashell bras, and a pink hibiscus flower in your hair.” Sehun offers him a warm smile. Forgetting that they had an audience, the three mermaids that were left to watch the scene made noises of approval.


 

“If he’s not your boyfriend, can he be mine?” Taeyeon says, Tiffany and Yoona nod in agreement. “We wouldn’t mind seeing him in nothing but a loin cloth every day, you know.” Yoona winks at Sehun, and Sehun has to look away, flustered from all the compliments.


 

“I’m sorry that won’t be happening. This kid sticks with me until the end.”


 

Baekhyun makes his way back from the cave with the grass skirt at hand. Sehun and Luhan wonder where in the world Baekhyun gets all these things. As if reading their minds he answers, “My sisters and I, like to transform into humans sometimes, because we like the feeling of sand between our toes. So we wear these to protect our goodies.”


 

“You’ve worn seashell bras before?” Luhan looks at Baekhyun incredulously with slight admiration because wow, it takes a man to wear these.


 

“Being the only boy sometimes, but you get to live with it. At least your hair doesn’t get played with every day. And sometimes when we go to Earth and visit the beaches during their Summer Solstice.” Baekhyun looks down somberly.



 

“Well here take the clothes and go hide behind those trees and leaves over there. Don’t come back until there’s a pretty hibiscus flower tucked into your hair too!”


 

“I don’t want to do this! “


 

“But I’m looking forward to it, Luhan. You’ll look beautiful.” Sehun reassures, Luhan’s cheeks suffuse with color. .



 

“Whatever.” Luhan grumbles as he walks away with a dark little cloud looming over his head. His path of wet stains cover the ground. All the mermaid in the cove howled and whooped as they watch Luhan stalk away to change behind the trees


 

Sehun turns back to the mermaids, who are all looking at him a slight smirk, and an evil glint in their eyes.


 

“Ever since we’ve known Luhan, we’ve always wanted him to do this. Do you know how many times we’ve wanted him in seashell bras, and grass skirts, and only now he’s agreeing?” Tiffany turns toward the shy Sehun, “you must be someone really special if you can convince him to wear these.”


 

“I’m sure, I’m no one special, he just has no clothes to wear to walk back home.”


 

Taeyeon scoffs, “You keep on telling that to yourself, honey. Open your eyes and realize.”


 

Ruffling sounds from the side of the lagoon, is brought to their attention. They all wait in anticipation for Luhan to emerge from behind the large leaves, obscuring him from their sight. As it all at once, they gasp as they take in to marvel at the beauty of Luhan.


 

The canopy of leaves that were covering Luhan move away. In the middle stands Luhan, wearing peachy colored seashells strapped to his chest. As flat as he is, he still made it work.The fading sunlight caught the red glow on Luhan's cheeks. He stands in place with his tiny hand concealing half his face, in embarrassment.


 

The pink hibiscus flower tucked behind his ear is a perfect contrast against his strawberry blonde hair. Sehun can’t help but let his eyes wander down to Luhan’s chest where the seashells were carefully resting on. And they wander down lower to his legs covered in the grass skirt. Beautiful, Sehun thinks as he tries to walk closer to Luhan.


 

Luhan’s eyebrows furrow, creating a small little ‘x’ in the middle. His arms rest at his side, carefully picking at his grass skirt.


 

“I look ridiculous.” Luhan shrills. “I look so, so, so, flowery!”



 

"Don’t come closer, Sehun. I look ugly." Luhan bemoans. Sehun smiles the entire time. He walks closer to Luhan. His brown eyes never leaving Luhan's bright colored, glassy eyes. He gingerly picks up a strands of grass, and slowly lets it fall back into place. Poking at the corner of Luhan's right seashell, where a prominent beauty mark is on display for everyone to see, Sehun gently lets it slide down it body. Luhan can’t help but shiver at the contact.


 

Sehun steps back, giving him a once over from head to toe. The smile on his face only becomes wider.


 

"I think you're quite beautiful. y even."


 

"You're too smooth with words, Sehun." Luhan throws him a weak smile. Sehun closes the distance between him and Luhan and places his arm around his shoulders.


 

“Doesn’t he everyone? Doesn’t Luhan look very nice in his outfit?”


 

One by one, everyone compliments him, and how he still looks strong even when he’s wearing peach seashells, dried green grass skirts, with a pink hibiscus flower softly tucked behind his ear.


 

Luhan blushes at everyone sudden outburst. He really wasn’t expecting anything like this to happen to him. Honestly, he wasn’t that embarrassed anymore, as long as on their way home Sehun will protect him from anyone’s wandering hands and eyes. But then again, he could always knock them out unconscious if they do get within a meter radius of him.


 

Luhan can feel the heat emanating from Sehun’s body, and it feels so comfortable to be under his arm like this. Luhan leans into his touch a little more, not wanting to leave. It warms up his bare torso, yes that’s a good excuse.


 

“Awwwh, I’m sure little Luhan is tired right now, from all the embarrassment that we’ve caused him in front of his uh boyfriend.” Baekhyun snickers, flicking a clam to their direction.


 

“How about one last twirl for us, Luhan?” Yoona suggests “Since this really will be the first and last time we’ll be seeing you like this.” She pouts, and all the mermaids follow.


 

An exasperated sigh leaves Luhan’s mouth as he watches the mermaids. Sehun laughs as he watches Luhan have an internal battle with himself. from the way his face is contorting into endless expression.


 

“Pleaaase~”


 

“But I look so not tough and strong.”


 

“But no one else can see you besides Sehun and us.” Tiffany tries to reason.


 

“Yeah! This is our own little secret.”


 

Luhan sighs dejectedly; shoulders slumped in Sehun’s half embrace. Sehun tightens his hold on Luhan’s shoulder, trying to alleviate some embarrassment. Luhan nods his head as he slips away, and slowly, emotionlessly turns around in front of the mermaids.


 

Clapping, and splashing around in glee, the mermaids, coo at him for being adorable.


 

“I am not adorable!” Luhan yells.


 

Sehun took this as a sign to head back home. Tightening his arms around Luhan’s shoulders, Sehun guides him back the say way they entered.


 

“See you guys later!” Sehun shouts out.


 

“Byee! Come back soon Sehunnie & Luhan!” They all sing song.


 

“Bye , and ’s boyfriend!” They hear Baekhyun say once they’re disappeared.


 

Luhan grumbles a few words under his breath, hoping that Sehun doesn’t notice he’s actually grumbling about how the mermaid’s already have a nickname for Sehun on the first day that they’ve met him.




 

-








 

Sehun finds himself standing in a middle of a wide spacious open field of flowers. All around hims there are birds chirping, little bunnies shopping around, and deer eating the grass. There are different trees here; they’re similar to the ones he sees back in Seoul.


 

It’s peaceful; nothing would be able to bother you. Sehun looks around for Luhan, when he couldn’t find him; he shrugged his shoulders, and proceeded to lie down on the grass. Looking up at the sky, he wanted to look for shapes within the clouds.



 

There’s rustling to his right side. Sehun rolls over onto his stomach, glances around the whole area until he’s met with a tuft of golden blonde hair holding a pink lily. It seemed Like Luhan was looking for him too. Sehun waves his hand, to get Luhan’s attention.


 

“What do you have there?” Sehun asks when Luhan lays down next to him. Luhan holds up the pink lily to the sky.


 

“It’s called a stargazer.”


 

“What’s the meaning behind a stargazer?” Sehun asks genuinely, as he reaches up and takes the flower from Luhan. Rolling the stem around between his fingers, caressing its petals, Sehun’s left awestruck.


 

“Purity. Innocence. They’re my favorite.”


 

“They’re beautiful.” but as he slightly turns his head to the side, and sees Luhan staring back at him. Definitely beautiful.


 

“I know.” Luhan smiles that dazzling smile of his, and leaves Sehun even more breathless. Sehun drops the flower drop in between them, turns back to the sky, a smirk on the corner of his lips.

 

 


 

It’s inevitable to pass off a beach day. Sehun begs Luhan one day to just stay at home, watching the waves crash onto shore. Back at the orphanage-- or back at his old home-- Sehun never got to visit the ocean side of Korea. Everyone around him was too immersed in other things. Too bogged down with responsibilities, to let them actually go out, and have fun.


 

All Sehun wanted to do was go to the beach, let his fingers play with the grainy texture. When he first arrived here, all Sehun wanted to do was jump into the ocean, having the waves topple him back into the water, only to submerge up a few seconds after.


 

Before Luhan can even protest, he drag him by the hand and leads him down the steps and onto the shore.


 

Sehun has a hard time running. For every step he takes, his foot gets caught deeper into the sand, it only slows down his momentum. Luhan follows behind him, because really he has no choice but to follow since Sehun’s holding his hand.


 

“Sehun slow down!” Luhan laughs


 

“I’m already slowing down because of the sand!” He struggles to get to the water. Heat of the sun’s rays warm their skins up, and Sehun thinks about how he’ll get darker. Sehun doesn’t let go of Luhan’s hand as they near the shoreline. Luhan tightens his hold on Sehun’s hand.


 

Running full force forward, Sehun fully submerges them into the water, his hand still holding onto Luhan’s. Luhan emerges first; he gives Sehun a pointed look before letting go of his hand. A sly smirk appears on Luhan’s face before he brings both of his hands together to splash Sehun in retaliation.


 

“What was that for!” Sehun coughs up water, but nonetheless he’s happy, a wide smile flits across his face. Luhan doubles over in laughter after he sees the way Sehun’s hair has gone off into many directions.


 

“You look very handsome, Sehun.” Luhan says as he swims over easily, wrapping his arms and legs around Sehun, fulling encasing him into an embrace.


 

“Let go of me, Luhan.” Sehun struggles to separate himself from the boy who’s stuck to him like a koala. Luhan laughs in his ear, and Sehun remembers the wind chimes tinkling in the wind back at home.


 

Luhan threw himself backwards, while his grip on Sehun hadn’t diminished. Skin against skin, the warmth they both exuded, something flashed in Luhan’s mind, but he didn’t know what it was. It seemed so familiar, yet unfamiliar at the same time.


 

Having enough of Luhan’s antics, Sehun wrapped his arms around Luhan’s thighs, and trudged back to the shore.


 

“Sehun.” Luhan pouts in Sehun’s neck, “you’re not fun.”


 

“You tried to drown the both of us.”


 

“But I had fun.” Water droplets from Sehun’s hair fell onto Luhan’s cheeks. From his place on Sehun’s shoulder, he admires his side profile. Without thinking, he brings his right index finger, and slides it down the slope of Sehun’s nose.


 

Sehun stiffens at the first touch, then slowly eases into it.

 

“What are you doing?” Sehun quirks an eyebrow up, tries to look at Luhan from the corner of his eye, still struggling to tug them along to the shoreline.

 

“I’m just admiring your face.” A contented sigh leaves Luhan’s lips as he snuggles into Sehun’s neck deeper. Luhan continues to run his index finger all along Sehun’s jawline, to his lips, then down the column of his neck, not forgetting about the prominent Adam’s Apple.

 

“You’re really handsome, Sehun.” Luhan shyly whispers.

 

“You already said that. You’re not bad yourself.”

 

“It doesn’t hurt to tell you more than once. There’s nothing wrong with saying the truth.”

 

Sehun sets them down on the warm sand. Luhan takes his time coming off of Sehun’s back. Honestly, it was too warm to let go of him, the ocean breeze makes Luhan shiver. Sehun brings his arm over Luhan’s shoulder and pulls him in closer.

 

They watch the ocean lazily hug the ocean, for what seems like an eternity before Sehun speaks up.

 

“I’ve never really seen the ocean quite like this before.” He continues to stare at the clear waves, while the sun nears the horizon.

 

“Why’s that?”

 

“They never really had time to bring everyone to the beach, o the ocean side. Too many children, too much responsibility. I’ve only seen the beach from a magazine, or from the drama I watch occasionally. It looked beautiful. I told myself that one day I’ll bring myself here and have fun.”


 

Sehun remembers the struggles and how hard life is. How some things just don’t come easily, life always perfect. There are ups and there are downs. It’s not perfect, but he tries to with the limited amount of sources he has. Simplicity. Money never came easy, or it never came at all.


 

Luhan hears the stuttering of Sehun’s breath. How in a matter of moments it became shaky and uneven. He looks up to see him crying. Slowly with his thumb, he tries to wipe away the tears that’ve made it onto the apples of his cheeks.


 

“It’s okay, Sehun. I’m here for you; I will always be here for you.” Sehun couldn’t stop, and he began to hyperventilate. Luhan doesn’t know what to do, so he does what he believes will help calm Sehun down. He acts upon instinct, and what feels right.


 

Luhan brings his free hand and cups the underside of Sehun’s jaw, bringing his face closer just until his lips ghost over the corner... There’s a little hesitation on his part, should he pucker his lips out more, or just press his lips against them. Luhan tilts his head to the side, letting his eyes flutter to a close, and goes with the latter option.


 

In that slight moment, he feels his world tilt over. Behind his closed eyes, Luhan can see iridescent explosions happening. He feels Sehun tense up, and he doesn’t understand why. But when Sehun pulls him closer, and weaves his arms around his waist, he knows he’s done the right thing.


 

If comforting Sehun should be this simple, he should have whisked him away a long time ago.


 

He pushes his lips harder Sehun’s lips, starts moving them at a gentle pace. Luhan believes that he never anything like this before. Finding a better way to position himself, he shifts his legs to straddle Sehun’s lap, and sits himself down. Weaving his fingers into Sehun’s damp hair, he pushes himself closer, opening his mouth slightly to let Sehun in.


 

When they break the kiss, and Luhan can’t help but gaze into Sehun’s eyes. Bright brown eyes, are staring back at him. They say that the eyes are windows to someone’s soul. There’s broken pieces scattered everywhere, and Luhan wants to piece it back together again.


 

But Luhan believes, it’s slowly piecing its way back together again. It was worse the first time he met Sehun. And he’s glad, he’s the reason why.





 

-

They share many more kisses after that. Sometimes when they go hunting in the woods, Sehun would hide behind a leaf, and wait for Luhan to arrive. A surprise peck on the lips would leave him feeling good for the entire trip.


 

One time, Luhan was feeding Sehun berries. He thought it would be a good idea just to tease Sehun by having a berry in his mouth, and feeding him with it. Let’s just say, Sehun enjoyed him more than the berry and made him do that with all the remaining food.

 

And at the end of the day Luhan was redder than the berries they’ve picked.

 

-



 

“Luhan.” Sehun tries to shake Luhan awake. “Please wake up, I feel disgusting.”

 

Luhan throws his arm out, and aims it at the person who’s disrupting his sleep. It’s way to early for this, and from all the times that they've woken up together, Sehun should know that Luhan doesn’t wake up until the sun is in it’s highest peak in the sky.


 

“Go away, Sehun.”


 

“No, let’s go bathe in lake, and wash our clothes. It’s been a while.”


 

“Sehun stop.” Luhan muffles his face back into the pillow.


 

“Well then I guess I’m going by myself. Maybe those little fairies would love to see me . Sleep tight then.” Sehun kisses the crown of Luhan’s head and heads on out.


 

“Wait!” Luhan shouts. “You’re not getting within a ten meter distance of fairies, no matter how pretty you think they are.

 

Smirking, Sehun turn around to face Luhan. His hair mused, eyes filled with sleep—heck they

weren’t even open yet. Sehun laughed, at the way Luhan looked, at probably the way you can feel his jealousy radiating off of him.


 

“Well then come on.”






 

“Sehun! Don’t do that!” Luhan shrieks once he’s emerged from the waters. He vigorously shakes his head from side to side, trying to get the water off of his head. “It’s not funny!”

 

“Your face was when you fell!”

 

“Oh you enjoy my face huh?” Sehun scrambled away when Luhan tried to get closer to him.

 

Luhan’s entire being was wet. He only took his pants off before, Sehun harshly pushed him into the lake. “Oh Sehun, you’re going to pay for this.”


 

Luhan tugs onto Sehun’s arm, bringing him closer to his body. Once he deemed him close enough, he weaved his arms around Sehun. Walking closer to the edge of the lake, Luhan starts counting down.

 

“One.”

 

“No, Luhan, no. I know where this is going. Stop.” But Luhan did not stop, he tightened his arms tighter when Sehun tried to pry him off.


 

“Two. You were going to get wet eventually.” And Luhan laughs when he sees the panic across Sehun’s face. More struggling happened on Sehun’s part.


 

“But not like this!” Sehun shrieked.


 

“THREEE!” Luhan fell backwards and into the lake, creating a huge splashing noise, and wetting his pants that laid beside the bank. Luhan kicks himself away from Sehun, swimming back quickly to the bank, to move away from Sehun’s wrath.


 

“Luhan! Come back here!” Sehun walks out of the water with the clothes he was supposed to wash, clinging onto his torso. Luhan peeks out from the palm tree he was hiding behind. His jaw slackens when he sees Sehun slowly removing his shirt. He can’t help but stare at the free show in front of him. Sehun knew where Luhan was, so he deliberately took his time removing his shirt.


 

“I know you’re out there, Luhan. Do you enjoy what you’re seeing?”

He was about to move on to taking off his pants, when a rustling noise stops his actions. When nothing comes out, Sehun goes back to taking off his pants at a tantalizing speed. Bam, a coconut materializes itself near his feet.


 

“Lu, come out of there. I’m just taking off my pants, you don’t have to throw coconuts at me.”

Luhan comes out of hiding, with his hand covering his eyes, and pink staining his cheeks.


 

“Why are you covering your eyes? It’s not like something you haven’t seen before.” Sehun teases.


 

And Luhan throws the last coconut in his hand, directing it on Sehun’s stomach.

 

“Lu! Ouch!”

 

"THAT'S FOR THINKING IT'S OKAY TO STRIP IN FRONT OF SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THAN ME." Luhan screams. Sehun watches as Luhan marches out of his sight.

 

Smiling to himself, Sehun whispers, "Too cute, too cute."

 

-






 

Sehun looks out the window, sees the sun setting down in the horizon. Pink, orange,and gray painting the heavens, as it descends the skies. He thinks about what life might be like on Earth right now. How the little children must have been worried sick about him. But then again, Sehun realizes that no one probably misses him. Sighing, he leans against the window’s ledge.



 

There was this gnawing feeling in Sehun’s chest. As if there was something or someone crying out for him. Maybe, in the back of Sehun’s mind, he was thinking it was time to go back. During his time here, he learned the value of love, and how to love. There’s no reason why he won’t go back as a person who’s has learned one of the most important aspects of life.


 

There is one person, back on earth, he misses though, and that’s Jongin. A small smile fits his lips as he remembers the way Jongin would come running up to him whenever he got home from school. Jogin’s black hair would bounce all around as he rushes forward into Sehun’s open arms.


 

The little boy would kiss his face all over. Even though Jongin is five years old, he’s been through a lot just like Sehun: thrown away at a young age, and let to be forgotten at the orphanage. Because of this, Sehun sees himself in Jongin. He tries, in his power, to make Jongin happy.To make Jongin forget about his bad past. No child should be like him: desolate and empty. No child should grow up without love.


 

As young as Sehun is, he will try to teach Jongin that love can exist between two people who don’t need a blood bond. He’s found his purpose of love, and that is Luhan.


 

Tears form at the corners of his eyes. Even in this sweltering hot heat, he can’t pass it off as sweat. Sehun doesn’t like burdening others, but it seems like that can’t happen. It’s inevitable.



 

From his place near the window, he can hear the rustling of the leaves outside. Sehun misses the way he would sit down next to his window back home, and let the wind ruffle his hair into different directions. His mind wanders back to earth, no matter how hard it is for him to stop, he can’t.


 

There’s no way that he can stop his mind from thinking back to the simplicities that made him forget about his own pain. The way how his foster mom, no matter how much of a crazy witch she could be at times, would always greet him with a nice warm dinner. Or how the children would listen attentively to his stories.



 

But if Sehun had to choose something that he misses the most, it would be the way he sees the moon from his own room. The celestial body illuminating his room from that one window. Sitting down on his makeshift bench, he stares out side and looks out to see the silent city drifting off into sleep.


 

Maybe the world isn't that much of a bad place when you notice it's beauty first. Natural wonders that simply take your breath away, are the reasons for living.

 

Tonight, he tells himself, when the moon is at its fullest, he’ll bring Luhan out into the clearing: the place where he first accepted that he loved Luhan. And there, he will tell Luhan how much he loves him, too.



 

-




 

With a piece of torn off cloth as a makeshift blindfold, Sehun guides Luhan around the forest, away from the tropical jungle, and to the clearing that’s filled with Luhan’s most favorite flowers. The moon shines down at them brightly. The myriad of stars, that he hasn't noticed before because he was staring into Luhan’s eyes, glow ever so flawlessly. Making it better for him to see their path clearly, even in this darkness.


 

It’s a perfect setting, and the way to silently say goodbye.

 

Sehun delicately pushes Luhan into the clearing, his voice got caught in his throat when he realized the plethora of fireflies buzzing around.

 

“Sehunnie, where are we?” Luhan asks as he plays around with the hem of his shirt.

 

“Try to guess.” Sehun walks behind Luhan, and guides him deeper to the inner most part of the clearing, where he will be able to see the moon, the stars, and the fireflies around them. Luhan crinkles his nose in dislike, and Sehun has to refrain himself from pinching it.

 

“Can you hear the fireflies?” Sehun watches as Luhan nods his head happily. He’s going to miss this. His heart beats quicker when he sees Luhan smile up at him.

 

“Are we….at the clearing?”


 

“Yes.” Sehun gingerly weaves behind Luhan, to remove the blindfold off. Luhan blinks, once, twice, three times before he focuses it on Sehun. Sehun believes, even with the stars, the moon and the fireflies, Luhan shines the brightest out of them.


 

“What are we doing here?” Luhan asks as he tilts his head to the side, curiosity in his eyes.


 

“I’m here to teach you how to dance.”


 

“But I know how to dance.” Luhan pouts, crossing his arms over each other.


 

“No, this is different. Here,” Sehun unwinds of one of Luhan’s arms, slides his hand down until he meets Luhan’s palm then proceeds to interlace their fingers together. Guiding Luhan towards him, he loops his arm around Luhan’s waist.


 

“Balance yourself on my top of my feet, and follow my movements.” Sehun whispers into Luhan’s ear. Luhan flinches at the hot breath blowing into his ear. Cautiously stepping onto Sehun, Luhan places his right palm on Sehun’s broad shoulder.

 

“You’re so light. You need to eat more.”


 

“I do eat a lot.” Luhan huffs


 

“ Then, I love the way you fit into my arms.”


 

“Sehun, stop.” Embarrassed, Luhan hides his face into the crook of Sehun’s neck.


 

They dance underneath the twinkling stars, out where the fireflies shine bright. Tonight the moon and the stars is the only witness of their love. No one else needs to know, how they shine in the dark.

 

“You’re beautiful, always will be.” Sehun whispers into Luhan’s ear once again, hot breath tickling the outer shell. Luhan buries his face further into the column of Sehun’s neck, hiding the blooming color suffusing his cheeks.

 

. “No celestial body can burn as brilliantly as you. You’re the light that illuminated my once dark world.”

 

Luhan blushes from the way Sehun’s making him feel so good inside. He, just like Sehun, didn’t know what love was. Luhan’s arms traipse up and interlock themselves around Sehun’s neck. And Sehun’s arms end up on Luhan’s waist.

 

Sehun uses one hand to guide Luhan’s face towards his. He places a passionate, hard kiss onto Luhan’s lips. Hoping to remember this taste forever.

 

“Thank you for warming up my life.”

-

 

They had no intentions of going back to the bungalow. They made a the patch of grass, their substitute bed for tonight, but it was alright.

 

Together they face up at the heavens above them, gazing at the stars that they’ve both haven’t noticed that much. Too busy staring at each other’s eyes, they’ve forgotten to look at the wonders that surrounded them every day.

 

Sehun curves his head around; he can see the luminous light reflected in Luhan’s eyes, it’s breathtaking. Sliding his hand down, he locates Luhan’s hand, and holds on to it tightly. Luhan turns his head to look straight back at him. Beaming, exuding happiness, Luhan squeezes tighter. This is the moment. Sehun thinks.

 

“I love you, Luhan.” It never felt so right to say that. Love. Love can make a person do crazy things, loving Luhan is crazy, but he’s never been sane before anyway.

 

If it was possible, Luhan burned brighter, such luminosity Sehun couldn’t fathom, but nonetheless, Sehun smiled back. His smile was cut short when a yawn escaped his lips. Luhan chuckled slightly, and rolled on top of him.

 

Peering down at the sleepy Sehun, Luhan kissed the tip of his nose.

 

“Goodnight my prince, I love you too.”

 

That’s all Sehun needed, it was reassurance that he wasn’t alone in this world, and someone could love him back.





 

_




 

Sehun vaguely remembers the mermaids talking about visiting Earth when he first met them. He thinks that maybe they know a way for him to get back to the orphanage. There’s a pang in his chest when he looks at the sleeping angel next to him.


 

There’s nothing he can do. He wants to stay here, but he knows it’s impossible for that to happen. Paradise was beautiful while it lasted. He can’t stay delusional forever. Sehun knows it’s going to hurt the both of them, but he tells himself it’s for the best.


 

When Sehun goes back, he knows that he won't fully part with Luhan. There's always these memories that he'll take with him wherever he'll go. The many memories that he's garnered over the course of the time he's stayed in Fiorsei, he'll cherish them forever.


 

If there was some way where fate and miracles could tinker with each other.....he wants to live in another reality where there's nothing separating him from Luhan. Where in every reincarnation, he’ll end up with Luhan. Just like that red string of fate stories he’s read.


 

Maybe in his past life, he was in love with Luhan, but the world was always on their backs waiting for something to happen. But seeing it now, he doesn’t think that there will ever be a future where he won’t love Luhan at all. That’s impossible.


 

Tears stream down his face as he brushes away Luhan’s fringe, he leans down to kiss Luhan’s temple. Not noticing that a single tear ends up on Luhan’s cheek, Sehun stands up looking at his angel peacefully sleeping on the futon, and silently walks away.


 

Luhan shuffles in his sleep when he feels moisture on him, he quickly sits up, and rubs the sleep away with the heel of his palm. He catches Sehun’s nearing the doorway. Panic etches all over his face. “Don’t leave me Sehun!” Luhan cries out loud. Sehun turns around to see Luhan gripping the blankets around him, despair written all over his entire being. Sehun doesn’t make any movement to get closer to Luhan, for if he does, all his resolution will come crumbling down.


 

Luhan muffles his cries into the blanket he’s brought up to his face. Sehun shuffles around, the moon glistens the tears on his own face. Only then does Luhan realize the wetness from before, were from Sehun’s tears, he’s not the only one crying for the loss.


 

“I can never leave you, but we both know I have to.” Sehun says above a whisper, before he turns around and marches right out the door.


 

Ear piercing screams of his name echoing behind him, he keeps his face locked forward, and tries to scold his emotions. With what’s left of his resolution, Sehun keeps on walking forward, one painful step at a time.


 

Oh Sehun found his heart, but left it once again.



 

-


 

Fighting against the leaves the cover his path, Sehun hears water splashing around, and thanks the heavens. Once he emerges out of his leafy confines, he’s met with shocked faces.


 

“I need you all, to help me get back to Earth.” Sehun wipes his face with his sleeve, making sure that there isn’t any residue from his previous acts.


 

“But Sehunnie, why?” Taeyeon asks, as she beckons him to come closer.


 

Sehun hesitantly stays in place, takes in a deep breath, to slowly let it out afterwards. His nerves calm down, and he’ll know he won’t cry again. He walks forward, and takes a seat at the edge of the bank, next to the awaiting mermaids.


 

“Because it’s the right thing to do.” Sehun whispers, burying his face into his palms, concealing his most vulnerable state to everyone else.


 

The mermaid sisters, and Baekhyun, all nod silently. Their hearts torn apart, from hearing what Sehun has to do just for him and Luhan.


 

“Luhan,” Baekhyun grabs Sehun’s into his. It was warm, comforting, “loves you a lot.”


 

Sehun curtly bows in agreement, afraid that if he speaks, all that will come out are the secrets he’s held close to his heart.


 

Baekhyun hands him a small little glass pearl. He stares at it for moments, wondering what this could be. Baekhyun covers his hands over Sehun’s, and looks up at him, he looked thankful, yet glum.


 

“You step on this hard, you’ll be sent through a vortex. Keep in mind your destination, and you’ll wake up on your own bed, in your own house.”


 

Sehun gets up from his sitting position, walks over to an empty, yet sturdy part of the lagoon bank, and places the pearl on the ground. With one last look around, he deeply inhales once more.


 

“Thank you.. for everything.” With a final goodbye, he steps on the pearl, and is sent off flying through the vortex. All Sehun can remember is slamming down, hard, onto his floor, before he drifts off to sleep.




 

-




 

Luhan insistently knocks on the window, waiting for it to be open. Peeking through it, he sees someone deep in slumber. He knocks on the window louder, hoping that it will jolt the sleeping boy out of the bed. He’s about to knock once more when the window finally opened.


 

Luhan’s eyes brighten up when he sees Sehun looking at him with sleepy eyes.


 

“Do you know what time it is?” Sehun asks, his voice laced with sleep. Luhan doesn’t listen to him as he sits cross legged on Sehun’s makeshift seating area. He looks up at Sehun with glassy eyes.


 

“Come back.” Luhan whispers, his eyes drifting to a close.


 

“I can’t.” Luhan stays silent, letting his own heart beat fill in the void.


 

Luhan never really forgot Sehun, how can you forget someone who has impacted your life so much, that all you want to do I keep them in your heart forever and never let them go. They both knew Sehun never wanted to leave, and that wanted to stay with him. Foregoing the harsh reality, they seize to realize the duties Sehun had to fulfill.


 

Luhan slowly opens his eyes once again, his eyelashes fluttering as he opens them. He takes in the view of a handsome man in front of him. He never really changed, although his body seems to be more muscular. To Luhan, Sehun will be his one and only prince. His hero. Luhan has learned a lot from Sehun that he hasn’t bothered to learn before. Sehun taught him what how it feels to be loved, and how it is to let go of the hatred that has invaded your mind and heart.


 

“But why not?” Luhan pushes on. “Sehun, our paradise, where their memories are still in tact, the shy smiles, and lingering kisses we shared, are still there.”


 

Sehun moves directly in front of Luhan, and Luhan can’t help but stare at the way Sehun’s matured. “Luhan, look at me now. I’m almost done with college. Believe me when I say there’s never a day where I don’t think about you.”


 

Luhan looks directly into Sehun’s eyes, remembering how he would stare at them for days on end.


 

Taking a deep shaky breath, Luhan speaks. "I never found the exact purpose in life. I always ran away from possibilities and never gave them a chance. I always thought that there's nothing out there for me. Escaping reality was my only way of believing that I'm really just alone in this world. But however, I was proven wrong. When I see you working hard, and giving your all, it feels like I could have done something better. When I see you, I feel invincible. When I see you, I fall in love all over again because I know that there will always be an Oh Sehun loving me for who I am.”



 

Luhan looks up at the moon, and thinks to himself, how can he have fallen so much in love with Sehun. And he starts to think that maybe letting go and growing up is okay. Maybe, the future has something better for him. In a different world, in a different universe, in a different reality, he believes that Sehun will be with him in all of them.


 

For now he’ll have to stay oblivious. Someday, there will be a moment for him and Sehun, and in that near distant future, nothing will stand in their way, and all will be well. Life isn’t fair, and it’s ridiculous how he has to give up his first and last love, to time, space, and the moon.


 

“We may not be together in this lifetime. But one day it’ll just be you and me against the world. And we’ll be happier than we are now. So don’t be sad baby. Just keep on smiling because right now, love is all we have..” Sehun whispers as he takes hold of Luhan’s lithe body against his. Holding back the tears that threaten to fall out, Sehun takes in a sharp intake of breath. It’s shaky, and unstable, just like his heart.


 

The tips of Luhan’s fingers gently graze Sehun’s cheek. He moves them slowly, as if he was trying to commit the feeling to his mind. Sehun’s stays in place, revving in the moment of having Luhan’s fingers touch him one last time. Why must all the best love stories have the coldest goodbye’s.


 

Luhan traces his fingers along Sehun’s lips, he remembers the warmth they used to bring him during the coldest nights. The soft velvet feeling of those lips against his. The wind rustles the green leaves of the trees, the wind chimes the bells hung by his window. Sehun remembers the ocean back on Fiorsei, and how they would spend countless hours listening to the crash of the waves along the shore.


 

Sehun stands up straighter, places his hand on top of Luhan’s, and leans in to the touch. At the corners of Luhan’s eyes, tears starting to form. The wind blows harder, making their hair move in every direction.

 

Sehun tilts Luhan’s chin up, he kisses those warm inviting lips. at the seam, he coaxed Luhan to part his lips. Letting his tongue roam around the warm cavern, imprinting the taste of Luhan on to his tongue. He on the pink muscle, before tangling it with his own. It’s messy, but all their kisses were hungry, messy, and passionate.


 

He lets go, but leans in once more to give Luhan a chaste kiss on the lips. It lingers, it’s the last one that he’ll give to him forever. Luhan buries his face into Sehun’s chest straight after, arms finding their way around Sehun’s torso.


 

“Goodbye, Sehun. I swear by the moon, the stars, and the wind that gently blows your dark brown locks, I’ll always be by your side. Watching over you, never letting go of your hand.Luhan’s words are muffled, barely coherent, as he speaks into the cotton button down shirt he’s grown to love on Sehun. “Remember, when you hear your wind chimes ring, remember that’s just me missing you.”


 

He disentangles himself from the warm embrace, albeit unwillingly. Luhan slowly starts walking backwards toward the window that started everything. Never once did they break eye contact. In that silent moment, they speak with their eyes, the words that cannot be spoken through voice since it’ll only be stuck, and left incomplete on their lips. The words that matter most, are relied in that silent communication, as painful as it is.


 

Once Sehun sees that Luhan’s made his way out the window, and out into the night sky. He says his reply, in a silent whisper. “Goodbye, Luhan. I won’t forget you. I love you”


 

A rush of cold wind sends the books he left on his side table to the floor. In that slightest moment, he hears a faint.



 

“Goodbye, my Prince.”


 

-






 

People say if you look out at the night sky, you’ll see someone soaring through the open heavens. They say he plays with the nocturnal animals, and skip rocks in the lakes, sometimes, if you listen closely, you’ll hear him playing his flute. You’ll hear a tune akin to boisterous happiness.


 

Nothing would be able to stop him, for he was invincible: Roaming around when the sun has gently crawled back to his hiding place, and the moon greets us with a smile. His playground is the earth, his playmates are Earth’s inhabitants. They say he only comes out when the moon is out full, and when adults are tucked into their beds.


 

If you listen closely to the winds howling, you’ll hear—just a snippet—of his careless laughter. If you’re lucky enough, you’ll hear all of it. It’s a different sound than the daily cacophony that would leave your eardrums aching. His laugh was light, it was airy, it was….a song of the wind.


 

Maybe that’s what he was, the boundless wind that had no limits, and endless possibilities.


 

There was also a period of time, where they heard an extra voice laughing with him, sometimes reprimanding him for his careless actions. It was a deeper tone, huskier. Perhaps he's found a lover that would hold his hand while they soar over the horizons.


 

But however the same people who heard that laughter for many years, say that one night it’s changed. It was different. The howls of the wind were missing something important, something that would make you smile when you realized what it was.


 

You could still hear the laughs, but you couldn’t sense the happiness from it, as if he’s lost a piece of himself too. The breeze, whenever you listened to the breeze, you wouldn’t hear the melody that came with it anymore. The deep laugh was gone too, along with the breeze. As if it never existed at all.


 

They wonder what happen to the song, to the melody, the soft whispers that came along with the wind.


 

Soon, all they heard was the wind and nothing else but a heart wrenching cry accompanying it.


 

Soon after, there was...


 

nothing at all.


 

-






 

Luhan shoots out of bed, fresh tears streaming down his face. He blindly feels for the left side of the bed. When his hand comes in contact with nothing, he looks around in panic. His heart never pounded more harshly in his life.


 

He glances at the clock. 3:13 AM.


 

“Sehun!” He screams out, desperate to hear any sort of response. “Sehun! Where are you?”


 

Hurried footsteps are heard outside the door, he sees Sehun in nothing but his boxer shorts, a tank top, and his glasses on.


 

“Where were you?” Luhan says breathlessly, as new tears come out. Sehun rushes to his side quickly. Wrapping his arms around his husband, he brings Luhan into his chest, tenderly guiding Luhan’s head under his chin.


 

“Shh shh, I was in the nursery. Tell me what happen, why is my angel crying?” Sehun runs his hand up and down the expanse of Luhan’s back. Luhan takes a few deep breaths before telling Sehun about his bad dream.


 

“I dreamt that we were like Peter Pan, and Wendy, and I lost you, and we couldn’t be together. Oh, Sehun it was horrible. There was no Hook, there was only pain, time and anguish.” Luhan cries out into Sehun’s neck.


 

“Shh, shh. It was just a nightmare. Darling, we’ll be together in every alternate universe. You’ll be by my side, laughing at every mistake I do. We’ll travel the world together and take pictures. I’m sure in one of our lifetimes we were Korean Pop singers, secretly in love with each other. It’s only a secret because only we and the group knew about it. “ Sehun leans down to kiss the crown of Luhan’s head.


 

“Just remember, there’s no universe that exists where I don’t love you.”


 

“Even if you’re the coldest winter prince with a heart of ice?” Luhan whispers.


 

“Yes, because you’ll be the spring prince that’ll melt my heart easily, with just one smile, and a crinkle of the nose.”


 

“I love you, Sehun.”


 

“And I love you, and in every universe that includes us, I will still love you.”




 

Let time fast forward

We still have half of our story left

At some turn, fate is still waiting, they definitely have a beautiful plan for us