Fin.

Dreaming a Dream

Cho Kyuhyun has a secret. He can see other people's dreams. Yes, he knows exactly what each of his classmates dreamed about last night. He knows how to interpret each dream. He could use this information to blackmail, to manipulate, but fortunately, Cho Kyuhyun is a nice kid.

So he keeps silent. Even when Park Jungsoo has nightmares about his parents dying. Even when Kim Heechul cries because there is only darkness. Even when Han Geng misses his homeland. Even when Kim Jongwoon is chased into a dead end. Even when Kim Youngwoon kills a man.

Cho Kyuhyun keeps quiet. Even when Shin Donghee dreams about a sea of food. Even when Lee Sungmin dreams about a classmate in a way that should not be allowed. Even when Lee Hyukjae has dreams about Lee Donghae. Even when Zhou Mi dreams about killing Henry Lau. Even when Choi Siwon dreams about taking the world.

But Cho Kyuhyun sees that Kim Ryeowook had a dream about him last night, and he can no longer keep quiet.

Kim Ryeowook's dream goes something like this:

"Hello again, Kyuhyun." Ryeowook sits down by Kyuhyun in a landscape of white.
"Hi, Ryeong," Dream Kyuhyun greets. "How was school?"
"You were there. You acted like you didn't know me." Ryeowook turns partly away.
"Aw, don't say that. You know why I do it."
Silence as they sit together, knees to chest.
"I don't want to go to school anymore, Kyu." Ryeowook's voice is soft. Dream Kyuhyun looks at him in worry.
"Ryeong, no, you can't think like that," he persuades. "School is useful."
"School is supposed to be fun," Ryeowook counters quietly. "It's not fun for me. I don't have any friends."
"You have me!" Dream Kyuhyun insists. Ryeowook raises his head to look at him.
"You're not real," he says in the same soft voice. "Besides, you'll never notice me anyway."

The dream breaks, and Cho Kyuhyun is left in a daze, a haze of mystery and pity.

That same day, he seeks out Kim Ryeowook.

"Hi," he says in greeting. Ryeowook looks up at him through thick glasses, startled. "Um, I've noticed that you always sit alone, so I was wondering if you wanted to be friends with me."

Kim Ryeowook blinks. "I-I'd like to, if that's okay," he stutters shyly, face flushing a deep red. Kyuhyun lets out a cheer and plops down beside him.

"What book are you reading?" he chirps happily. "Ooh, Wind in the Willows, I liked that one."

Kyuhyun's actually never read it before, but he has googled the summary. But Ryeowook doesn't know that. Ryeowook, who thinks he's finally met another nerd, whose entire being seems to perk up.

"Yeah, it's so good!"

They talk a lot that day. When class starts again, Cho Kyuhyun finds himself looking forward to meeting with Ryeowook again.

"Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun, I talked with you today!"
"So you did," Dream Kyuhyun laughs. "But I was the one who talked first."
"But still!" Ryeowook simply glows with joy and pride. "We're going to get along well, aren't we?"
Dream Kyuhyun doesn't say anything, but he smiles and holds out a hand.

Kim Ryeowook, evidently, is also glad to have Kyuhyun. He brings a different book each day, and Kyuhyun is forced to admit that he doesn't really read. Ryeowook doesn't get mad; he teaches him. Kyuhyun is entranced, more so by his voice than the actual story.

Kim Ryeowook has a voice much higher than most males his age. His pronunciation is clear, and he speaks with passion. Cho Kyuhyun cannot help but fall in love with this voice.

"You should sing," he tells him one day. Ryeowook shakes his head.

"I can't. I don't have the voice."

Kyuhyun rolls his eyes, hard. "Uh, yeah, you do. Come on, for me, please?"

Kim Ryeowook still refuses. "This is a natural thing, and I just don't have it in me."

"Kyuhyun, you wanted me to sing for you today." Ryeowook sits down carefully.
"I know, I was there." Dream Kyuhyun sighs. "Why won't you?"
Ryeowook looks at him out the corner of his eye. "You should know. I've told you."
Dream Kyuhyun only lowers his head, drawing invisible patterns on the floor.
"Yeah," he says quietly. "I do."

"Ryeowook, please," Kyuhyun begs again. "I'll sing for you if you sing for me."

Kim Ryeowook turns around, clutching Gone With the Wind in his arms, eyes showing obvious agony.

"It's not that I don't want to," he says, pained. "I just... can't."

He turns and runs away. Cho Kyuhyun does not chase. He stays and watches Kim Ryeowook's retreating figure. He knows that Ryeowook needs time.

"I'm sorry," Dream Kyuhyun apologizes as soon as he sees Ryeowook. "I shouldn't have tried to force you to sing."
Ryeowook smiles bitterly. "It's not your fault, Kyuhyun. It's mine."
They sit in silence for a long time. Finally, Ryeowook rises.
"I think..." He hesitates. "I want to get over it. I'll sing for you tomorrow, Kyuhyun."

But he doesn't. Many times, Ryeowook opens his mouth to say something, only to swallow it back. Kyuhyun smiles gently. It's okay, he'll wait. He'll wait as long as it takes.

Ryeowook doesn't talk to Dream Kyuhyun for a long time after that. His dreams are now filled with shouting, pain, and tears. Kyuhyun thinks he knows now. He thinks he knows why Ryeowook will not sing.

It's not because he doesn't want to, but that he physically cannot. A dream long-broken, a promise unkept. He shut off his music from the world.

"Long time no see, Kyuhyun." Dream Kyuhyun leaps up, excited beyond measure.
"Ryeonggu!" he exclaims, rushing forward to take Ryeowook's hands. "Where have you been?? I was so worried!"
Ryeowook smiles through tears. "I didn't sing for you. Are you mad?"
Dream Kyuhyun shakes his head furiously. "No, of course not! I just want you back, and it doesn't matter whether or not you sing. You're still my friend."

"Kyuhyun!" Ryeowook waves from a table in the very back of the cafe. Kyuhyun smiles and makes his way through the crowd of people to sit down.

"Why did you call me here?" he asks, although he thinks he already knows. Ryeowook smiles, placing his phone on the table.

"Here," he says, handing Kyuhyun a pair of headphones. "Password's my birthday."

Plugging in the headphones, Kyuhyun types in 0621, and the phone unlocks to the Voice Memos app. Biting his lip to hide a wide smile, Kyuhyun clicks the only available recording.

"Hi, Kyuhyun," Ryeowook's voice says, nervous and breathy. "Um, I'm a little nervous about showing you in person, so this is the best alternative. Uhhh, the song is called Just You. Yeah, that's all. I hope you don't think I'm too bad."

Kyuhyun drowns in Ryeowook's soft voice. No, no, Ryeowook, he thinks. It's not bad at all. It's phenomenal. It's amazing. It's perfect.

Kyuhyun looks up to Ryeowook's anxious gaze. "Was it okay?" he asks quietly, eyebrows furrowed.

"It was," Kyuhyun pauses, "the best. You should go audition for a company."

Ryeowook breaks out in the biggest grin Kyuhyun has yet seen. "I'm flattered," he laughs. "Maybe I will, but right now, it's your turn."

Kyuhyun smirks. He has no such fear of singing in public.

"It's called Let's Not," he says before starting. Ryeowook's eyes widen as Kyuhyun's melody swirls around them. Even the other people stop to listen. Kyuhyun shines, even with his eyes closed. He is a natural; he is the one who should be auditioning.

Ryeowook is in tears by the time Kyuhyun finishes. "I'm glad you liked it," Kyuhyun murmurs, reaching over to dab the tears away. "I'll sing for you forever if you'll let me."

Ryeowook nods quickly. "Of course," he promises, clutching Kyuhyun's hand. "Forever."