One

Dreams

          “Oh, man.” You mumbled as you made a smudge on your house plan homework. This has been your third draft on just one house plan. Having a perfectionist professor didn’t really help. You decided to take a break and get your cup of coffee from the table.

You’re currently on your third year of Architecture and it’s stressing you out so much. Losing sleep and waking up in time to prepare for your first class have already been part of your routine ever since you got to your second year. It’s insane, you thought but it was fun. You met tons of friends and study buddies.

You were about to pick your pencil up when you heard a knock on the door. “Coming!” You called out and got up, your mug in hand. You reached for the knob and opened the door with your free hand, revealing your best friend, Chen with a large pizza box and two Cokes in his hands.

“Delivery for (y/n)?” He held up the items and smiled wide. You and Chen have been friends since you transferred to this university. It was so awkward since you’re not really used to other people approaching you. It has been always the other way around but you had no choice. You were new to the place and didn’t really know anybody.

A year ago…

“Take care, sweetie.” Your dad said exhaustedly as he helped taking the boxes containing your stuff out of the trunk of his car.

“I’ll miss you, dad.” You said, smiling softly.

“I dreaded this day, to be honest.” He said with a sigh. “But what can I do? It’s not like I can stop you from growing up. I’ll miss you too, sweetie.”

You finished unloading your stuff and gave your dad one last tight hug. “I’ll call when I get the chance.” You mumbled, burying your face on his chest.

“You should. I’ll miss you too often.” He said, rubbing your back and kissing your forehead.

“Chill, dad.” You chuckled, shaking my head. “I’ll just be away for Uni, not going to war.”

He laughed, ruffling your hair. He got back inside the car and you watched him drive away. You looked back at the school building, realizing there was no turning back.

A week later, you were still on the process of adjusting to the new environment. You lived with a roommate and she basically kept you company most of the time, especially after school.

“Do you want to take a walk?” (your roommate’s name) asked you, her eyes fixated on the video she was editing.

You looked up from your drawing, shrugging in response. “You sure? You still seem like you have things to do.”

“It’s fine. I’ve been stuck here for two hours and my eyes hurt.” She said while she rubbed her eyes. “I need actual fresh air.”

“Let me change my clothes, then.” You said as you headed to the closet. You took out a white shirt and leggings before proceeding to the bathroom. Even though you had a girl for a roommate, you still felt awkward showing skin in front of her.

So, the both of you went out. It felt good being out of the room after being stuck in it, doing homework. While you were walking, she turned her head when she heard her name being called.

“Hey, Chen.” She greeted and waved as the guy walked towards the both of you. “This is (y/n), by the way. (y/n), Chen.”

“Hey.” He said with a smile and shook your hand. “Hey, wait. I know you. You’re in my History of Architecture class.”

“Really? I never really see you.” You said with a soft laugh. “Or maybe I’m just oblivious to my surroundings.”

“You always sit in front, that’s probably why.” He replied, scratching his head. It was true though, you thought it was better sitting in front so you’d be able to hear your professor clearly.

          “Anyway,” he continued and brought out a flyer from his jacket pocket. “The art exhibit is tomorrow, if you guys are interested.”

          “Shoot, I totally forgot about that.” You said, facepalming at the realization. The Fine Arts and Architecture department organized an art exhibit and several paintings, dioramas, and other different kinds of art are going to be up for display. Your teacher asked you to hand in an output for the event but you had to decline because you were still focusing on adjusting yourself to the school. “But, yeah. We’ll be going, right (your roommate’s name)?”

          “I think I’ll pass.” She said with a sigh. “Gotta do some more editing for our class output.”

          “.” Chen shook his head and sighed. “So, I’ll see you then (y/n)?”

          “See you.” You waved at him before he walked away.

          The next day, you were busy studying for a quiz when you remembered something: the art exhibit. You closed the book and immediately got up from your bed, slipping on your Vans that are just under the bed. You grabbed a jacket from the hanger on your closet door and dashed out of the room. You got to the hall and signed your name on the guest book before heading in. There were several students and faculty in the exhibit, mostly students from the Fine Arts and Architecture department. Art and structures fascinated you so much, that’s why you took up Architecture in the first place, aside from your dad influencing you to take it up.

          “(y/n)!” You heard someone call out. You turn around and see Chen, waving and smiling. He motioned you to come over, which you immediately obliged to. He was wearing a white polo with a red tie, slacks, and then Vans.

          “Hey.” You said when you walked over. “I think I’m a little bit underdressed.”

          “Nope, you’re okay.” He chuckled and placed his hands in his pockets.

          “No, I’m serious.” You said. “I actually forgot about the exhibit. I was studying for the test when I suddenly remembered. Sorry.”

          “It’s okay.” He shrugged and smiled. “Come on, let’s look around.”

          You followed like a puppy behind him as you both looked and critiqued the artworks. You had fun listening to him, he was like a walking art book and he never failed to joke around. Troll, you thought to yourself.

          “Oh, wow, this is a cool 3D model.” You said as one of the dioramas caught your attention. You bended slightly to see whose work it was and saw it was Chen’s. “Oh, this is yours. It’s amazing.” It was a 3D model of a two-story house with a swing in the backyard area.

          “Got rejected five times before this got here.” He smiled proudly and stood beside his work. “I wish I could build this house in the future.”

          “You will, you just have to trust yourself.” You encouraged him. “The swing is cute though.”

          “Mr. Grant told me to ditch the swing.” He said and looked at his work in awe. “It took a lot of convincing to make him want me to keep it.”

          After an hour, you leave the exhibit. Chen had to stay a bit longer since he had to talk about his work. You headed back to your dorm room and continued studying.

          “This is good pizza.” You said after taking a bite. Chen stared at you while you were eating, making you feel conscious.

          “What the hell? Stop looking!” You scolded playfully, hitting his arm with your greasy hand.

          “Yuck, your hands are greasy.” He teased, his expression turning sour.

          “Not sorry.” You shrugged as you kept eating. He whined and mumbled something in Korean, making you raise a brow.

          “What’s that?” You asked him, kicking his leg and laughing.

          “Nothing!” He said, evading your hits and laughing loud. He was always like that, laughing as if it’s the end of the world. You didn’t mind though, you were used to it anyway.

          “Hey, you know,” He started talking again once he stopped laughing. “I had this insane dream last night.”

          “What is it?” You asked, wiping your hands and mouth with a paper towel before leaning back against the chair.

          “You were in it.” He said, his eyes sparkling as he said that statement. “I don’t know why I dreamt of it, but we kissed in that dream. It was so cool but it went by so fast, I ended up not remembering the rest of it when I woke up.”

          “Woah, that is insane.” You said, brushing off what he just said.

          “Wish it could happen in real life though.” Chen muttered, making you laugh and hit his arm again.

          “Kim Jongdae, stop joking around.” You said, shaking your head as you both reached for another slice of pizza.

          “Yah! I’m not joking around (y/n).” He defended and took a bite of his slice. He says it as if it was just casual talk, making you doubt his statements.

          “You’re killing me here.” You said, throwing a piece of pineapple at him, which he caught with his mouth. He smirked and laughed as he looked at you.

          You both sat in silence as you ate the rest of the pizza. You suddenly felt awkward though, and you don’t know why. “Dreams do come true, right?” You asked him, making him raise his brow.

          “What?” He asked in confusion. You put your slice of pizza in the box for a moment before kissing him. His eyes widened and he tensed up a little, but eventually softened up at the feeling. His eyes closed slowly as he kissed back, holding you close as if he does not want to let you go. You both pull away, catching your breaths.

          “Yah! Kim Jongin! You owe me twenty dollars!” You suddenly heard your roommate shout. You laughed and shook your head.

          “So you were betting on us?” You asked, brows raised.

          “No…” she said, feigning panic. “Yes.”

          You and Chen laugh in unison as you continued eating pizza. That was the start of your relationship with him.

Six years later…

          “Happy anniversary, my love.” Chen smiled as he wrapped his arms around you. You have been married for three years now. After college, the both of you decided to move in together. A year after, he proposed and then you got married the next year. You have to admit, it was not a perfect relationship but it was worth it, seeing how much you love each other.

          “I have something to give you. Hold on.” He said, letting go of you, heading to your shared room. He came out after a minute, holding his 3D model which was displayed in the art exhibit in your school six years ago.

          “You’re giving me your 3D model?” You chuckled as you got up from your seat.

          “No, no.” Chen chuckled and opened the glass case. He reached for a key and held it up to your face, making your eyes widen.

          “W-whoa. H-how?” You asked in shock.

          “Well, it started during the art exhibit when someone told me to trust myself that I will be able to build this house in the future, and that the swing is cute.” He started as he fiddled with the key. “So I started saving up ever since that certain someone said that. A year after we graduated, I remodeled the house model a little and asked an engineer to help me with the house. He said, he would but it struck me that the money I have saved was still not enough but he assured that it’s alright and that I could pay the rest when I can.”

          “Oh my God.” You said, realizing that he was talking about you when he blurted out the first statement. “But, you didn’t have to.”

          “But I wanted to.” He said in delight as he held the key firm in his hand. “You don’t know how happy I was when you told me during the art exhibit that I could possibly make this 3D model a reality.”

          “Thank you, baby.” You said, pulling him into a hug. “Thank you so much!”

          “No worries, jagi.” He said, rubbing your back as he hugged you back. “Dreams do come true, right? Come on, let’s check it out.” He took your hand as both of you dashed out of your apartment. After a twenty minute drive, you both reach a newly-built house, your newly-built house.

          “Wow, this is amazing.” You said, smiling as you looked at it in awe. “Tell me, did you keep the swing?”

          “Yes.” He simply said, making you squeal and hug him tight.

          “Baby, this is so beautiful.” You said, tears of joy spilling down your cheek. “You’re amazing. I love you.”

          “I love you too.” He said, leaving a kiss on your forehead.