Chapter 2

Trapped in his Eyes

 

I was back at the headquarters. It's very dull according to others. But they are the fools who can't see this gothic beauty. Why can't people appreciate coffins? I mean you get to sleep in it comfortably. Dead people love it. Vampires love it! I guess the humans who are alive just can't appreciate stuff till they are dead.

 I settled down and removed my black coat and made myself a coffee. The aroma was fulfilling. Not just the coffee, I could smell the fresh corpse in the vicinity as well.

"I need Pizza. Or even spaghetti. I don't care I need cheese! And NOT a corpse smell! Corpses are not food!! ARGH." I was bored by the poor food quality I was getting. I don't care I need something. I kept tapping angrily on the table thinking of food.

I felt someone creep up behind me. But I didn't bother. I knew who it was.

"..............." He stared at me through those bangs again. Yes. That was Undertaker. "Coffee? Without me?" He asked and tilted his head.

"I thought you liked jokes more. Pfft. Get your own coffee." I laughed it off. He remained silent. This was unusual. It's been fairly 43 years since I have been working with him. And this was the first time I saw him with a serious look. He seemed depressed.

Don't get me wrong. A sad/depressed Undertaker does not look like a cute sad puppy. But rather...

"So you delivered the package safely?" He asked in a monotone.

"I did." I answered in the same tone in order to not be overwhelmed by him.

"Good." He sounded distant.

There was a pin drop silence. I couldn't even muster the courage to ask him what was wrong.

"Fine." I had to break the silence. "I'll make you your coffee. With sugar or without?"

The atmosphere did not improve. There was still silence in the room.

Before I could make a move he swiftly appeared infront of me.

Cold sweat dropped from my forehead. Our lips were inches away. And most of all his chartreuse phosphorescent eyes were clearly locked on me.

"Wha-what is the matter? Did I do a mistake? I clearly remember handing him the package successfully!" My voice faltered and I was no longer able to remain calm.

As I said. A sad/depressed Undertaker does not look like a puppy. But rather as Lucifer himself.

"I wonder." He leaned closer. By now I could feel his breath on my neck. His cold hands cupped my face and kept looking at me from under his bangs.

As if it was a reflex my hands moved on their own to his forehead. I don't know where I got the courage from. But I felt as if I wasn't myself.

"Let me see those eyes." I said. I caressed his smooth hair and cleared his bangs. "Hehe" a small laugh escaped from my lips and I saw Undertaker jolt.

"What do you think you are doing?" He asked.

Behold the most beautiful sight in the world. I expected him to glare at me. But what was hiding under those bangs was this gentle look. He asked me some questions I believe. But with those grand eyes locked on to me I could only gaze at them.

He sighed and asked, "My girl. Do you have feelings for me..." He asked. "As well?" He muttered.

"Yes." I answered without hesitating.

"Are you not afraid of me or my eyes?"

"The only thing I am afraid of is... You falling silent. And only fools are afraid of your beautiful eyes."

"My, my..." He let go of me and turned back to his goofy appearance. "This certainly turned out to be a joke." He laughed creepily.

"Undertaker. You test my patience." I felt as though my veins would pop out of anger.

"Oh sorry. I thought I could give you a little fright. Turns out the plan backfired. A bit." He waved his hands like a child under those overly covered garments.

"A bit?" I crossed my arms and gave him a questioning look.

"Yes. I was planning on giving you a little fright and then confirm your feelings."

"You..." I couldn't help but heave a sigh. "Darling. You as a supreme creature. Would you even like someone like me?"

"Of course not. At first I just wanted to be entertained! But I was also curious about you. You who was not afraid of my presence since the beginning. Around the time I found you, people shuddered just after looking into my eyes. But you. No. You kept gazing into them as if you found the river of stars." He continued. "At first. I was just curious to know. Why would someone look at me with such loving eyes."

I was rendered speechless. I felt as if I was exposed. As if... No. He had clearly seen through me.

"You who show a strong front. I wonder when did I start getting so jealous of Grell."

"WHAT. NO YOU DID NOT HEAR OUR CONVERSATION. IT'S CONFIDENTIAL." I felt my cheeks burn. Why is my corpse like body reacting this way?!

He let out a short laugh. "Well. What mine is mine. No body can have you." He sat on a coffin and said "Well how about a coffee?"

"You seriously can't read the atmosphere."

"Well. Have it your way. I was just wondering if we would celebrate."

"Celebrate what?!" 

He got up from the coffin and stood, "Now who is the one who can't read the atmosphere? Shall I convey it through my lips?" He walked towards me and leaned closer. He entwined his fingers with mine and whispered, "Or through my body?"